PDA

View Full Version : London Midland £10 ticket - Liverpool

gillhalfpint
20-02-2011, 00:10
Have printed voucher for the £10 London Midland ticket offer, and plan to do a pub crawl round Liverpool with it on Sat 5.3.11.

Are there any new pubs to put on the list that may not be in the 2011 Good Beer Guide?

trainman
20-02-2011, 07:51
Well thought out Gill - no football there that day.
Can't help with suggestions - never been. Did consider it for my 'Great Escape' but would take too long for a day. Limited to Rugby & Northampton combo next week instead.

Maldenman
20-02-2011, 08:07
Well thought out Gill - no football there that day.

Not quite right, don't forget Marine are at home to Retford Utd!

Millay
20-02-2011, 08:49
As far as new pubs/bars go I think the only one I found on my October 2010 visit was the Bier Keller, although it did disappoint a bit. It's also reminded me that I still have to write up my Liverpool reviews so I have no remedied that for The Bier Keller (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/71385/)

The Rose & Crown was all keg but they were advertising real ales coming soon. I was a bit disappointed with the Belvedere, Blackburne Arms and the Caledonia. Favourites were probably Ye Cracke, The Grapes, Vernon Arms, The Dispensary and the Swan Inn, but I imagine you know all of those. The thing about a days crawling in Liverpool is that there are so many good pubs you want to visit that you're less inclined to go exploring.

gillhalfpint
20-02-2011, 10:06
I have the CAMRA Real ale pubs map and it is brilliant for plotting favourite pubs on. Has pictures of all the pubs listed too. I think they put one out every year as I have 3 different ones now. Wish every town/city could do likewise as it is so much better than putting a book out of the pubs every so many years. These can be picked up free in the pubs and are so useful.

I have looked for the ones you have told me about that I haven't visited before and have started highlighing them on the pub map. Should be a great day out.

gillhalfpint
20-02-2011, 11:11
Just plotted 20 pubs onto the CAMRA map of those I have been to before, and those recommended here. Two very distinct areas. Not sure which Grapes you meant (Matthew St or Roscoe St) Both new for me so I have put both down to look into.

Listed are Baltic Fleet, Belvedere, Crown Hotel, Dispensary, Dr Duncans, Everyman Bistro, Fly in the loaf, Grapes x 2, Head of Steam, Lion Tavern, Peter Kavanaghs, Philarmonic, Rigby's, Roscoe Head, Ship & Mitre, Swan Inn, Vernon Arms, White Star and Ye Cracke.

Phew. Won't get round them all but will try to get to old favourites and put some of the new ones in.

oldboots
20-02-2011, 11:50
Just plotted 20 pubs onto the CAMRA map of those I have been to before, and those recommended here. Two very distinct areas. Not sure which Grapes you meant (Matthew St or Roscoe St) Both new for me so I have put both down to look into.

It'll be the Grapes in Roscoe St, it's far superior to one in the Matthew St and very close to the Pilgrim and Ye Cracke. I'd stick to the White Star if I was in the Cavern Quarter, the Welkin gets no better of course. You haven't got the Globe (Cases St) on your list.

The Dale St crawl is still the best area for good beer with side trips to the Poste House and the Lion, not sure what the Railway next to the Lion is like these days. The GBG lists the best although still with a couple of howlers, with all that choice why put in less than good pubs?

gillhalfpint
20-02-2011, 12:43
I have 28 on my list now. Looks like we need to go twice! Think our best bet will be to concentrate on pubs we haven't been to before and pop old favourites in if we pass them. Whatever happens, I am really looking forward to the day.

PaulOfHorsham
22-02-2011, 19:19
It's not just football to watch out for Gill. London Midland are having a bit of overtime trouble with ASLEF, so there may be some alterations - check their disruptions (http://www.londonmidland.com/your-journey/potential-disruption-to-services/?=) page for the latest, although things seem to be a little more reliable than the first time I checked a couple of weeks back.

Of course, you may be aware of all this but, in case others are planning their own Great Escapes, the information may be useful.

trainman
27-02-2011, 09:04
London Midland are having a bit of overtime trouble with ASLEF,

Total chaos yesterday laid waste to the Rugby/Northampton combo meaning, in order to ensure we didn't miss England France, we stayed in Rugby. What a good pub the Victoria is.
Coming back to London was just as bad & we successfully (phew!) jibbed a Virgin train, leaving time for a debrief in Euston Tap and Doric Arch, like I needed more beer at that stage...

gillhalfpint
27-02-2011, 10:58
I suppose as the tickets are for any of their destinations, if there is trouble on the Liverpool one with strikes we can just pick another city to go to - even London that we fancy doing again.

Don't care about the return journey being messy as long as we get to use it somewhere, preferably Liverpool.

Keeping an eye on the disruption site though.

gillhalfpint
06-03-2011, 01:16
Had a trip on London Midland, objective to do GBG pubs we hadn't been to before and others recommended. Managed 20 brilliant pubs.

Vernon Arms.
All Gates Caskablanca 41
Rudgate Spring Elixir 41

James Monro
Ringwood Old Thumper 56

Lady of Mann
Wolf Straw Dog 45

Ye Hole in the Wall
Fullers Front Row 37
Roninsons Hannibals Nectar 39
most expensive £3

White Star
Leyden Citra 42

Richmond
Liverpool Organic Kitty Wilkinson 45

Globe
Caledonian Over the Bar 42

Richard John Blackler
Wolf Coyote 43
Peerless Viking Gold 46

Crown
Shepherd Neame Spitfire 42

Dispensary
Fernandes 99 Arches 45
Sadlers E Type Jag 38

Roscoe Head
Beartown Bear Ass 40

Grapes
Liverpool Organic Rakau 50

Swan
Skinners Splendid Tackle 42
Liverpool Organic Honey Blond 45

Pilgrim
M & B Blueberry 40
Liverpool Organic Johnny Handsome 40

Ye Cracke
Prospect Whatever 38

Belvedere
Wyre Piddle Polar Piddle 42
Blackwater Impressionism 45

Philarmonic
Leeds Midnighr Bell 49

Everyman
Brimstage Sandpiper 36

Fly in the loaf
Blackwater Art Deco 42
Newmans Wicked Weasel 43

Augustus John
Blackwater Bauhaus 40

A grand day out.

Gill

Bucking Fastard
06-03-2011, 10:52
Gill,
Sounds a great day.Are the figures you mention a beer scoring system or the numbers of seconds to consume your half :D

trainman
06-03-2011, 10:57
Gill,
Sounds a great day.Are the figures you mention a beer scoring system or the numbers of seconds to consume your half :D

I'm guessing it's the abv without decimal point, but that makes Fernandes 99 sound very scary!
ps. Gill, did your trains run ok?

Bucking Fastard
06-03-2011, 11:05
I'm guessing it's the abv without decimal point

Thanks trainman,that does seem logical but having just woken up ,my brain wasn't as razor sharp as usual ....wonder why ;)

gillhalfpint
06-03-2011, 11:36
Yes it was ABV without decimal. I was being lazy as I put it on yesterday after getting back, so I'm suprised it was readable to be honest, a lot of my notetaking was only just readable by the end of the crawl.

Yes it was a great day out and there was no disruption at all. Trains there and back not full. Ray lost his £10 ticket so had to buy another for £21.40, but wouldn't have coped on my own very well. Sad to have missed some good pubs like Ship & Mitre and Lion but wanted to get to a lot of new GBG pubs for the first time. Always another time though and a great city for unspoilt pubs. Love following Old Boots around as his expert descriptions make my reviews so easy to do. Like I said, I am lazy!!

oldboots
06-03-2011, 19:59
Love following Old Boots around as his expert descriptions make my reviews so easy to do.

aw shucks, I'm blushing:o, thanks for the kind words and I'm glad my scribblings are helpful. I must get back to the 'Pool very soon.