PDA

View Full Version : Cricket World Cup 2011 Prediction Game

Millay
15-02-2011, 12:37
Some of you have expressed an interest so I’ve set up a Pubs Galore pool on the Sportguru Website (http://www.sportguru.co.uk/cricketworldcup/)

I think most who have played previous games will be receiving an e-mail. If not the code to join the pool is ZEALBUTS.

If anyone needs any help registering just shout.

First game is on 19th February

hondo
15-02-2011, 12:47
Sportguru seemed to be acting up a bit but looks like i managed to sign up. Makes the fitba world cup look compact.

Evil Gazebo
15-02-2011, 14:27
I'll have a go, despite my poor showing in the Winter Cricket competition.

The World Cup itself has a totally ludicrous format. It's going to take over a month, and 42 matches, to whittle the field down from 14 teams to a predictable-looking last 8.

By the time it gets interesting, there are only 7 games left.

Strongers
15-02-2011, 20:29
I've signed up.

Dave M
17-02-2011, 09:47
Excellent - an opportunity to show exactly how much I know about cricket! Nothing can possibly go wrong :rolleyes:

Conrad
17-02-2011, 10:02
Excellent - an opportunity to show exactly how much I know about cricket! Nothing can possibly go wrong :rolleyes:
I'm sure I can come up with some contacts if you want some tips. We do after all know the walking variant of Wisden.

Dave M
17-02-2011, 10:41
I'm sure I can come up with some contacts if you want some tips. We do after all know the walking variant of Wisden.

Shhh! Don't let people know I'm going to try to get professional help!

Strongers
17-02-2011, 19:46
I signed up to an autopool in the Super League competition that is being run. I know nothing about Super League so decided to do an experiment to prove these competitions are pot luck.... I'm not doing very well!

Millay
18-02-2011, 06:16
Shhh! Don't let people know I'm going to try to get professional help!

I think that's very wise Dave :D:D

All accepted so far and I think we have 9. I'll check again later tonight for any latecomers. First game is 08:30 Saturday. Play !!!

Dave M
22-02-2011, 15:43
Well all 9 of us have predicted the correct outcome for the first 5 games. And 5 of us have got the margin right for Englands win! :eek:

Of course I wasn't at all nervous half an hour ago that England might not even win :whistle:

Strongers
22-02-2011, 20:38
Well all 9 of us have predicted the correct outcome for the first 5 games. And 5 of us have got the margin right for Englands win! :eek:

Of course I wasn't at all nervous half an hour ago that England might not even win :whistle:

I've just watched the highlights on Sky and I got the right result so eagerly logged into SG to witness my rise up the table… DOH!!!

Millay
23-02-2011, 12:10
Despite England having a bit of a wobble yesterday most games seem to have gone to form, so it’s probably going to be more about picking the winning margins than the winning team, especially during the group stages. Today I’m on Pakistan by 88 runs so will need Kenya to break the 200 mark, not sure they are capable of that unless the bookies have ordered a few no balls and wides :whistle:

If anyone is interested there’s another cricket competition that Sportguru are running but they are not promoting it, and probably with good reason. It’s the ICC World Twenty/20 qualifying stages for the 2012 World Cup. First games are tomorrow in the ICC Africa 3rd Division and we kick off with Rwanda v Lesotho and Gambia v Morocco. The other teams are Mali and the Seychelles so this one really is guesswork :confused:

The competition runs throughout the year with competitions run by ICC Americas (Belize v Peru anyone?) and Asia Pacific where the Cook Islands will be taking on that proud cricketing nation Tonga. I signed up just for a bit of fun. As I said they are not promoting the competition but to find it go to the Homepage, sign in and click on the ‘XX Active Tournaments’ link below your name. Scroll down and at the bottom you should find a link with all the games you are not currently playing, it should be in there.

I know you are dying to know so I’ll tell you, Rwanda and Gambia to win tomorrow, both by either 40 runs or 5 wickets. The Mali v Seychelles game is a bit more difficult to call but I think Mali will just shade it by 15 runs or three wickets :pray:

Strongers
02-03-2011, 15:17
England are making a bit of a meal of it against Ireland. They should have had it wrapped up ages ago, I've never seen so many dropped catches!

Evil Gazebo
02-03-2011, 15:36
Just got in the house and put it on - the last I saw Ireland were about 120-5 and way behind the run rate. Unbelievable, this.

rpadam
02-03-2011, 18:24
If anybody predicted the Ireland result, I would eat my hat (if I had one)!

Millay
02-03-2011, 22:24
Absolutely incredible, just got home after being in Birmingham all day on a team meeting (dragged a couple of guys into the Wellington for a few) to find that England have lost to the Oirish amateurs.

On the way home I stopped off at my local Indian restaurant/bar and the 20 something waiter was reading out questions from a recent pub quiz he'd been to. The answer to one was Nelson Mandela, and he looked me ernestly in the eyes and said " Was Nelson Mandela in prison then?".

I'm not sure what I despair of most, today's youth or the England bowling attack !!

an_ecumenical_matter
03-03-2011, 10:42
Did the England coach make it through the night?????

Strongers
04-03-2011, 09:49
The Bangladesh performance will take the spotlight off England - 58 all out!

Millay
06-03-2011, 03:17
The Bangladesh performance will take the spotlight off England - 58 all out!

With England 3 for 2 after the first over I fear we may be taking that spotlight back.

I was one of the loyal followers who went for an England win, not so sure now :o

Millay
06-03-2011, 03:28
15 for 3 now and I'm starting to regret getting up this early.

I reckon Hondo's pick of SA by 5 wickets is favourite.

Millay
06-03-2011, 06:37
England 171 all out, game over unless our bowlers perform a lot better than they have been.

Don't think I'll bother watching the SA innings, heading out for a Sunday morning walk to build up a thirst for a lunchtime pint or two :drinkup:

Evil Gazebo
06-03-2011, 10:50
England at least seem determined to bring excitement to the group stage. Among all the one-sided games, every England game is a thriller! South Africa now 163-8..

rpadam
06-03-2011, 11:02
Don't think I'll bother watching the SA innings
You sure that was a good idea?

trainman
06-03-2011, 11:09
Wow! Who'd a thought it?

Strongers
06-03-2011, 18:12
England at least seem determined to bring excitement to the group stage. Among all the one-sided games, every England game is a thriller! South Africa now 163-8..

I was thinking that with 50 runs to go. The fans are certainly getting their moneys worth.

Millay
06-03-2011, 19:35
Amazing result. I followed the final few overs in a Ladbrokes then went for a few celebratory beers. The afternoon went something like,

Fyne Ales, Jarl
Sunraker from a Somerset brewery
Hop Back, Brewers Choice
Harvieston, Old Engine Oil
Another Jarl (BoTW)
Crouch Vale Brewers Gold
Mighty Oak, Oscar Wilde Mild
Oakham, Citra

All in all a pretty good day

Strongers
06-03-2011, 23:14
Amazing result. I followed the final few overs in a Ladbrokes then went for a few celebratory beers. The afternoon went something like,

Fyne Ales, Jarl
Sunraker from a Somerset brewery
Hop Back, Brewers Choice
Harvieston, Old Engine Oil
Another Jarl (BoTW)
Crouch Vale Brewers Gold
Mighty Oak, Oscar Wilde Mild
Oakham, Citra

All in all a pretty good day

I'm too poor to drink Guinness anymore so I spent the Evening on Harvey's:

Porter - Jesus, like drinking from a rotten oak tree
Best - A bit sweet for my pallete
Armada - Earthy like the Shep Neame ales
Old Ale - I liked it, best of the evening.

Evil Gazebo
17-03-2011, 09:16
According to its prediction page on SportGuru, the Ireland v Holland game tomorrow morning is taking place at the KC Stadium in Hull, which I found quite surprising.

Currently watching England's must-win game against the Windies - England batting first, 99/2 from 17 overs.

Millay
27-03-2011, 13:28
The fixtures for the semi-finals have now been loaded and you can make picks. It's Sri Lanka v New Zealand on Tuesday 29th and then the little matter of an India v Pakistan game on Wednesday. The final is next Sat the 2nd April.

The Pubs Galore pool is currently being headed by Al 10000 with, Six Nations winner, Evil Gazebo in pursuit. There are only about 4 points between 2nd and 7th place so it's all to play for, especially as the points are increased in the latter rounds.

From a team perspective the Pubs Galore league is sitting in 7th place overall so make sure you make your picks and let's see if we can improve on that.