PDA

View Full Version : PG logo

Soup Dragon
09-11-2009, 09:39
Hi all,

I wanted to separate this into a new thread as i didnt want it taking seriously in regard to sensible suggestions on layout, colour scheme etc

I looked very hard at the PG logo for the first time today. The rosette thing between the words Pubs and Galore in the top right looked a little spooky. Clearly, from the little chap on the top left (Dave M said it was a self-portrait), it is a foaming beer in the rosette, but i looked at it and saw a very ill looking chap sticking his tongue out, or worse, barfing up.

What do you see? did i need help? (thinking of ink-blot tests here)

arwkrite
09-11-2009, 09:56
I must have the same problem as you Soups. The rossette ? looks like some ugly bloke sticking his fingers down his throat. In fact I did not really know what it was supposed to be.

oldboots
09-11-2009, 10:39
obviously it's an evil skull biting his fingernails while stuck inside a barrel lined with spikes, iron maiden style.

Too weird?

arwkrite
09-11-2009, 10:43
Uuuurmm......Oldboots have you by any chance taken the ink blot test ?:D

Soup Dragon
09-11-2009, 10:59
obviously it's an evil skull biting his fingernails while stuck inside a barrel lined with spikes, iron maiden style.

Too weird?

Wow.......... and i thought i had problems:eek:

oldboots
09-11-2009, 11:36
Uuuurmm......Oldboots have you by any chance taken the ink blot test ?:D

I did when I was in the home for the bewildered :D

Conrad
09-11-2009, 11:37
You are all neanderthals, you are the sort of people who looked at the Mona Lisa and thought, 'yeah just some bored bird ain't it'

;)

Soup Dragon
09-11-2009, 11:38
You are all neanderthals, you are the sort of people who looked at the Mona Lisa and thought, 'yeah just some bored bird ain't it'

;)

no, Sir - i thought, 'at least it's better than twigs in a vase':twigs:

Conrad
09-11-2009, 11:42
Once I have done some work I will try and explain the real thinking behind it, but it is quite amusing as I had never seen any of those things in it.

Soup Dragon
09-11-2009, 11:44
aaaaaah, but is it a self-portrait of Dave?

oldboots
09-11-2009, 11:48

;)

Wot this Mona Lisa?

Conrad
09-11-2009, 11:52
Wot this Mona Lisa?
Oh goodness, I hope none of you have photoshopping talents, or I fear that the poor Pubs Galore logo could be in for some savage abuse.

Well Dave is just beginning to get a more respectable beer belly, but has no where near as much hair as our avatar (says the bald git here).

Soup Dragon
09-11-2009, 11:57
which is the original La Gioconda, OB?

oldboots
09-11-2009, 12:01
which is the original La Gioconda, OB?

Don't ask me, I got bored in the queue for the Louvre so I went off for a drink. ;)

Conrad
09-11-2009, 12:40
I take no responsibility for this
http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=18&stc=1&d=1257770383

Farway
09-11-2009, 12:45
Never really looked at in in depth until now, yep, certainly someone either yawning or trying to suppress a technicolour one and hopefully avoiding a 5 finger spread

Soup Dragon
09-11-2009, 13:07
Quality, Conrad!

Its good to see you can laugh about it:p

Eddie86
09-11-2009, 14:56
I thought it was a modern impresionist interpretation of a lucky 4 leaf clover, no doubt represented the twisted fortunes of Conrad to meet us whilst reminding us that, although an image of a 'jug of beer' the froth forms a face suggesting the devil, therefore subliminally suggesting that head on a beer is the devils work, aka Conrad is from the south.

It's been a quiet day today...
:glass:

Soup Dragon
09-11-2009, 14:59
I thought it was a modern impresionist interpretation of a lucky 4 leaf clover, no doubt represented the twisted fortunes of Conrad to meet us whilst reminding us that, although an image of a 'jug of beer' the froth forms a face suggesting the devil, therefore subliminally suggesting that head on a beer is the devils work, aka Conrad is from the south.

It's been a quiet day today...
:glass:

wow - you been around those occult bookshops in Hay, Ed?

Conrad
09-11-2009, 15:43
Ed, have they got you on some new painkillers for your back? ;)
(Hope it's feeling better now)

The story behind this is that we originally planned for Pubs Galore to be part of a series of sites, so the suggestion of Restaurants Galore was actually part of our original plan. You would get one registration at Galore Network (as you have all done) and that registration would then allow you to interact with any of the Galore sites.

Anyway, once we got an artist to look at it the idea was to have a consistent feel around all those sites, so the Galore Network logo was born:
http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/images/logo-galore-network.gif

And each site in the Galore Network would use a similar logo with it's own brand colour and a distinctive icon, like a beer glass. As a design I still really like it, although I may never look at that beer glass in the same way again.

Eddie86
09-11-2009, 15:57
It's funny you say that, I am on stronger medication starting today for it. Staring at the screen too long is what I'm blaming it on - Trying to improve the website and feedback forms/christmas menues/NYE menu/Valentine Menu/Programme for Cask Ale Week sorted. I've just booked our band for NYE next year :eek:

Conrad
09-11-2009, 16:17
Staring at a computer monitor too long trying to improve a site will make you go mad :)

Have to say your site is one of the best ones we see in our travels. In terms of Google you are top for your name (Kilverts (http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=kilverts&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t)) and one of the first sensible links under accomodation in Hay on Wye (http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=accommodation+in+hay+on+wye). The site itself is clear and easy to use, and has clearly displayed prices, which by God I wish everyone did, I hate sites that are scared to just give you the bottom line.

On the flip side one of the funnier sites we saw recently which also ties into our conversation over on the Home page thread about Flash sites is the Merlins Entertainment site (http://www.merlinsentertainment.co.uk/) which someone kindly added to the venue on PG. It has many highlights, although for the observant among you the reflections of the labels in the menu bar towards the right in the flash version is a special one.

Youngie
19-11-2009, 01:20
Might just be me and but I clearly see the head of a Lion passant guardant, a frequently used charge in heraldry!!! The green 'rosette' could easily be its mane of hair!!

As in [sings] "Three Lions on a shirt!"

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c55/youngie44/galore-jpg.jpg
:)

Soup Dragon
19-11-2009, 08:55
class, Youngie:D

Conrad
19-11-2009, 13:07
Excellent Youngie, a far more discerning interpretation. :) And beautiful illustrative proof.