PDA

View Full Version : Computer crippling virus 0 v 1 Strongers

Strongers
31-01-2011, 22:59
This morning I was plunged into a world of malware, spyware and rogue combobulators that were trying to destroy my very being and after 5 hours of reading through mind bending instructions I managed to defeat my first virus. The critter was called system tool 2011 and during our battle I learnt about downloading free virus software and that YouTube isn’t all about watching grown men hurt themselves.

I know most of you learnt how to do this before your first nappy was soiled, but I feel like I have taken a step towards not paying £50 every time the misses locks up our laptop.

Happy surfing!

Alesonly
31-01-2011, 23:23
Yes its A pain always make sure you have up to date Anti Virus & Firewall Protection
AVG do A Free anti Virus Program and there are a Few others. Also Get a Firewall as well Zone Alarm Free is one there are others.
Glad you defeated it, If you do online banking Most banks supply a Full Internet Security package free as well.

Strongers
31-01-2011, 23:44
Blimey, a supermarket of free anti virus!

I used MalwareBytes during my battle. It was afterwards whilst having a ciggy in the back garden that I realised that the internet is a battle between good and evil and the battle is never won! (walk on Yoda). something I couldn't answer was what did all of these hackers and anti hackers do before computers were invented? Also is a person that battles against hackers a hacker also. Is someone who writes a virus a hacker? Are the back four at Brentford good at computers as they spend most of their day hacking? Questions questions questions!!!

Paris_Hilton
01-02-2011, 09:05
I use both AVG and Malwarebites, both free to download. I also use Mozilla Firefox rather tha I-explorer to browse; I'm reliably informed that Mozilla is safer to use, and it's also free to downlaod.

Quinno
01-02-2011, 12:18
I use <geek attack>:

Firewall: Zonealarm (free download).
Anti-virus: A combination of AVG and Spybot Search and Destroy (both free). Spybot also takes proactive steps to patch up known vulnerabilities in IE and Firefox.
Web browser: You can't beat Firefox (free!) for in-depth browsing and functionality but most importantly, security. If you have Firefox, at a minimum download Adblock Plus and Betterprivacy in addition as 'add-ons' - very useful. Also, Firefox will give you a warning should you attempt to enter a known attack site (see http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/its-an-attack.html for an example screenie)
Useful extras: ATF Cleaner free - cleans up old registry files and properly deletes them (as opposed to just mangling data like when you empty the recycle bin manually). Hijackthis - a free utility that generates an in depth report of registry and file settings from your computer - you will need this report to post on forums in order for others to ID malicious programmes.

Bookmark http://www.spywarewarrior.com/index.php (http://www.spywarewarrior.com/index.php) which is a good site where you can questions about iffy processes and post Hijackthis logs for infected PCs.

ALWAYS schedule in an update day once a fortnight (if automatic updating is not built into the programme) for your Anti-virus.

Oh and of course NEVER open attachments from people you don't know OR attachments that have a dodgy suffix (usually .exe) unless you implicitly trust the sender (eg your mate who sends you amusing video clips twice a week!). Also don't download software from sites you don't trust even if they claim it is required; if a site says that a plugin is necessary, go directly to the plugin vendor's web site instead.

If the worst comes to worst and you're afraid to click away from a site as it's bombarding you with boxes demanding you install stuff or clearly attempting to download something without your permission, pull the internet plug out of the usb port/switch off the router manually. Then ctrl+alt+delete and switch off the browser through task manager.

Finally, for any sites that give you a fully free download (as opposed to a stripped-down version of a paid-for product) that you use regularly, please contribute a couple of quid every now and again to allow them to keep on giving :)

Doing this has kept me relatively virus free for the past five years, after a spectacular meltdown in 2005 where I had to literally start again. I was then where you are now.

Conrad
01-02-2011, 13:12
Warning, this post assumes you use Windows, the really easy solution is to use Linux or MacOS (I need a wash after mentioning Mac).

I personally would not touch Zonealarm (http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en-us/zonealarm-pc-security-free-firewall.htm) with a rather large bargepole, it's main purpose is to scare you and it is largely unnecessary if you are using a copy of Windows newer than Windows XP [service pack 2] (inclusive), or you are sat behind a decent router (which most are if you use wireless). Whilst it makes lots of noise and b*ggers around a lot all it ever really does is tell you what it is doing (and what is already being done by your system if it wasn't there).

AVG (http://free.avg.com/gb-en/download-avg-anti-virus-free) is very popular, although I am not a fan as it has crashed a couple of my computers and also after their pre-fetch debarkle (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/06/13/avg_scanner_skews_web_traffic_numbers/). I preferred Avast (http://www.avast.com/en-gb/free-antivirus-download), although now I have moved on to Microsoft Security Essentials (http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/). MS Security Essentials just quietly does the job and it is in MS's interest to get it right as it reduces their service overhead and negative reputation whenever their OS gets hit.

If you ever find yourself infected Malwarebytes (http://www.malwarebytes.org/) is essential, it is the best cleaner around, not very good as an in place checker though.

In terms of browser, Firefox (http://www.mozilla-europe.org/en/firefox/) is a must for the more Internet savvie for its huge array of Add-ons (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/) of which Adblock Plus (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/adblock-plus/) is most notable (although please turn it off on sites that rely on advertising income if you want them to succeed). For the general user though I actually think Chrome (http://www.google.com/chrome/intl/en-GB/landing_tv.html) is probably best now (and I hate saying that) as it is very smooth, quick and uncluttered (hurry up and release Firefox 4.0 as that looks almost as good). And the imminent IE9 (http://ie.microsoft.com/testdrive/) looks impressive (although PuG doesn't work on their current test build).

Again I am not a fan of registry cleaners, but then I will generally rebuild my machine about once a year making them largely redundant.

Quinno
01-02-2011, 13:24
Your points about Zonealarm are good - I've noticed lately that they are making a lot of fuss about pointless stuff and attempted a dubious marketing tactic by trying to scare people into thinking they had a virus (http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2369363,00.asp). I am on XP SP2 so I'll stick with it until I do a clean install on my PC later this year.early next as it's getting a bit creaky now, even with extra RAM being added.

Also, Adblock Plus - I must admit I've never added a filter to it, so would you be kind enough Mr Conrad to show me (us) an example of what we should add to ours in order for our favourite pub website to be excepted from the general blocking? :cheers:

ta

Conrad
01-02-2011, 13:32
ROFL, I don't actually use adblock :D

For me it is more useful to know how people are advertising as it is useful to my job. I should also say I am not too bothered if you block our site, we don't have any impression ads (ones that earn just by you seeing them) and I figure you won't click on what we do have anyway. Long term - advertising isn't our core model.

I will have a look later though and put up some instructions as I really should know :)

arwkrite
01-02-2011, 13:59
My browser is Comodo Dragon ( a version of Chrome ) and its attendant security suit . Recent Firefox versions have caused me a few problems after updating to Win. 7 Ultimate. I have used AVG , Avast and Avira in the past. In fact I am a bit of an anti virus trollop fancying whatever of the moment. Malwarebytes and a couple of other spyware programs get an airing. One program I have found good at finding infections is Hitman Pro. It is supposed to be shareware but the trial version on my tower computer just keeps going. The many forums dealing with virus and malware problems have saved my bacon a number of times. I am lucky in that I have more than one computer and can use another to chase down medicine for the sick one without risking other networks.

ps If anyone has Norton A.V they want to get rid of from their computer then download Symantec's own removal tool ( I use the MajorGeeks website ). It works fine for me when people complain they are stuck with Norton and con me into spending my Sunday afternoon drinking time clearing out their computers.

Conrad
01-02-2011, 14:16
Firstly, Ark, 2 posts today and a demonstration of far too much knowledge sir - more ranting and rambling required ;)

Just had a quick look at Adblock, and it is embarassingly simple. When you install it there will be a new button appears alongside the search box at the top of the browser that will initially show as ABP being disabled. Click on it and select "Enable Adblock Plus". From this point on it will block ads according to its local list (there are ways of adding more lists to do cool stuff like stopping Facebook tracking you).

If however you wish to allow some humble site to advertise to you, visit that site. Whilst on the site (say PuG) click on the ABP logo again, and you will see the option "disable on pubsgalore.co.uk", select this and it will then allow adverts from that site through to your computer. It is nice for us to be able to advertise to you and certainly may help the site as it grows. But for some sites it is essential to their being able to run.

Cheers for the lead in Quinno :)

arwkrite
01-02-2011, 14:45
Hi Conrad, sorry my input has been down of late. I have completed my move to a rented one bedroomed bungalow . You know the type they keep for Old Folks. I call it Gods Waiting Room. There is not a good/ reasonable/ half decent looking granny any where. I am now even further out of town and further up the hill. Broadband is not yet an option but the licensee of my local allows me to hotspot. Well I do spend enough here ! Will do my best to work up a decent rant but the walk up the hill leaves me knackered.

Conrad
01-02-2011, 14:58
Gah, sorry to hear that!

Life without broadband, I think I would go insane.

Insaner :)

Al 10000
01-02-2011, 15:09
If however you wish to allow some humble site to advertise to you, visit that site. Whilst on the site (say PuG) click on the ABP logo again, and you will see the option "disable on pubsgalore.co.uk", select this and it will then allow adverts from that site through to your computer. It is nice for us to be able to advertise to you and certainly may help the site as it grows. But for some sites it is essential to their being able to run.

Hi Conrad,

I have never noticed any adverts while i am on PG and as for all this anti virus talk i dont understand any of it as usuall.

Conrad
01-02-2011, 15:25
We are very discreet in our use of advertising, if you look on the right of the screen under the login box there is a series of Google ads, with Adblock on they don't show.

If we felt the campaign was worth it we could run visual letterbox (long horizontal ads) just below the head of the page, it would kind of go where the pubs name and address currently goes. If we found it was irritating our regulars though we would probably set it so it didn't show when logged in, or only showed once.

Quinno
01-02-2011, 15:51
Just had a quick look at Adblock, and it is embarassingly simple... Whilst on the site (say PuG) click on the ABP logo again, and you will see the option "disable on pubsgalore.co.uk", select this and it will then allow adverts from that site through to your computer

Just road-tested that and it is indeed very simple. I will spend a couple of minutes unblocking some smaller sites at home this evening :) cheers for posting that as it's a good reference for future.

Crossste
01-02-2011, 17:29
One or two on here may think they are green when it comes to computers but i am greener than grass and pea soup made specially for St Pats night so.......

......how do you know if you have got a virus, trojan, hacker etc or, if i had got one wouid i not need to be asking this question.:o

Conrad
01-02-2011, 17:47
......how do you know if you have got a virus, trojan, hacker etc or, if i had got one wouid i not need to be asking this question.:o
Just walking out to watch the footie, so hopefully someone will answer with more accuracy, but most people find out at the point they don't need to be asking this question, hence Ark's comment earlier about having a second machine to look up on.

The more advanced answer is that if you have a virus your computer will go wrong in some way, if you have a worm your computer may go wrong in some way, but will be most interested in passing itself on. If you have a trojan/hacker (hackers use trojans to get on your computer) you probably wont know until all your credit cards start working for someone else or you stumble across it with one of the aforementioned tools in this thread.

Let me know if you want a more earnest answer and I will see what I can do tomorrow, regardless you should have a virus checker on your machine if you are using Windows.

Quinno
01-02-2011, 18:45
One or two on here may think they are green when it comes to computers but i am greener than grass and pea soup made specially for St Pats night so.......

The simple answer at this point is to download and install Spybot S&D (http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html), run it and see what it says.

Strongers
01-02-2011, 19:06
I thought that I was safe with Mcafee, but the virus that I got a couple of days ago changed the desktop and wouldn't let me open any applications including Mcafee so in affect I had no virus software to fall back on. It was a .exe file and it downloaded itself without my permission as I'm very cautious after costly errors in the past. The internet was very laboured, but thankfully it still worked, and in between the messages flashing up saying that my life was over unless I paid $79 I managed to find a fix video on YouTube and download the cures. Still took me an age though and cut short the crawl I had planned yesterday.

Obviously I will not be renewing my subscription to Mcafee later in the year. In fact I was so angry I started making up an invoice that I was going to send to them for waisting my time.

Oh yeah, we have another computer that is the inlaws and it came in very handy!

Conrad
02-02-2011, 12:20
The simple answer at this point is to download and install Spybot S&D (http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html), run it and see what it says.
Not personally used that product, but basically you will need to use something like that to have any confidence that your computer is clear.

I thought that I was safe with Mcafee,
Sadly you are not truly safe with any virus checker it is all just an arms race, good practices are essential (the key one being never run untrusted executables), but even then there are random viruses that can hit you, or just a momentary lapse.

The one tip though is don't use either McAfee or Norton, the free checkers are just as good and frequently the charged ones come with lots of fluff to justify their price, all the fluff really does is slow down your computer by running in the background.

gillhalfpint
02-02-2011, 17:27
I can confirm the slow down with Norton. Bought the package and installed it, then found I could have a shower AND make a cuppa while waiting for the mext page clicked to load up.

Everything was SO slow, I felt like throwing laptop in the bin, but dis installed the Norton and had a job finding the complaint site, but did get hold of a form which I completed and returned with the disc only, and they paid my money back into my bank account. It made me very wary of installing anything. I have downloaded the spybot one but am wary of running it, being another who is green about such matters.

Conrad
03-02-2011, 12:11
It sounds like Quinno is running quite an old rig, have you noticed any slowdown Quinno?

Also do you know if it is a resident package (runs at startup) or a one of check?

Quinno
03-02-2011, 12:19
It sounds like Quinno is running quite an old rig, have you noticed any slowdown Quinno?

Also do you know if it is a resident package (runs at startup) or a one of check?

I run an antique!

Do you mean slowdown in general, or specific to a programme? In general, it's very slow to boot up these days even after I had a good spring clean (unistalling old programmes and neutering others kicking in during startup) and some extra RAM. My next trick is a clean re-install and see if that helps - sometimes I think that the vast amount of programme updates/downloads just adds a load of excess flab to the coding. Maybe if done from fresh, it'll help.

Conrad
03-02-2011, 12:22
I meant specific to the spybot app. Basically just fishing to try and work out if Gill should worry about trying it out.

Maldenman
03-02-2011, 13:32
My old computer has Norton 360 which I got as a freebie after complaining to Norton that there previous anti-virus tool was letting stuff through on a regular basis. Since installing it on there everything has been as good as gold, although I suspect that's as much to do with my daughter no longer using it for chatrooms and dodgy music downloads.

The newer one came with a year's free McAfee which seems to work too well as it seems to throw out warnings about lots of sites.....not those sort I hasten to add although rather reassuringly it isn't keen on that other beer site! Probably the pop ups.

Quinno
03-02-2011, 13:43
There's a little slowdown I guess - but usually I get it to run on its own whilst I traipse off to have a shower/cook dinner!

Farway
03-02-2011, 15:08
Oh how I would love a trojan :D

My PC went belly up on Tuesday, it will not even start in Safe Mode, I suspect the hard drive is bu66ered, currently using a borrowed laptop and expecting to fork out C £500 for a new PC :(

What is more annoying is that I will have to redo /install over 4 years work, sod, sod, sod

I do have backups luckily, for those who do not, do yourself a big favour and back up your data NOW

Conrad
03-02-2011, 15:14
What is more annoying is that I will have to redo /install over 4 years work, sod, sod, sod
They make life so much easier you know :whistle:

Crossste
03-02-2011, 17:15
Thanks for the link to Skybot. I downloaded it, ran it and no nasty,s were found.

Is Skybot actually anti-virus or just a tool for finding if something has got passed your anti-virus programme.

I do run Kaspersky which i get free with Barclays online banking as mentioned earlier and it seems o.k. from the little i know. It doesn,t seem to slow the computer down unless it is doing the weekly scan when it can slow it down a little at various times during the scan.

runningdog
03-02-2011, 19:08
..........although now I have moved on to Microsoft Security Essentials (http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/). MS Security Essentials just quietly does the job and it is in MS's interest to get it right as it reduces their service overhead and negative reputation whenever their OS gets hit.

I thought I was ploughing a lone furrow with MSE, it's comforting to know I'm not their only satisfied customer. It, and it's predecessor, Windows One Care have served me bluidy well for two or three years now, :pray: considering where some of my trips into the underbelly of cyberspace finish up:drinkup::drinkup::drinkup:..........

Eddie86
03-02-2011, 20:50
I've found this enlightening. I'm an AVG and S&D user myself - both on Vista (grrrr) laptop (dual boot with linux in case something goes wrong) and W7 home computer. Chrome is the only browser I use now that the initial bugs have been worked out.

I use lloyds internet banking - haven't noticed a free anti virus with it yet though...

Strongers
03-02-2011, 21:09
We got Mcafee free with Sky broadband, but now we are with BT snail express we lost Mcafee and better the devil you know we decided to purchase it at about £25.... Money that will not be wasted again!

Conrad
04-02-2011, 12:49
Is Skybot actually anti-virus or just a tool for finding if something has got passed your anti-virus programme.
Yeah, that is what I was fishing for from Quinno.

Glancing round the site it looks like it is a package specifically for spy ware which is a category that most anti-virus software isn't too concerned by. If you are running an up to date browser and don't go willy nilly installing toolbars and the like you should be relatively safe from spyware (although it never hurts to check).

It does have a resident portion that should be run alongside a good virus checker if spyware is a concern.

Old Blue
05-02-2011, 16:45
I was once thrilled to hit on a website which promised it was all about barmaids of Melbourne, only to find it hosted viruses so severe they ruined my mobile phone. Alas I didn't manage to hit on any of the barmaids themselves, so I can't comment on whether they had viruses as well.

Eddie86
08-02-2011, 20:55
I didn't know mobiles could get viruses!

Conrad
09-02-2011, 09:05
I knew it was theoretically possible, the only actual virus in the wild I knew about was an iPhone one that required you to have hacked your iPhone anyway.

I know there are forms of attack involving Bluetooth, but they are not viruses as they do not self spread, it has do be deliberately initiated by someone and spreads no further.

Certainly it is possible for web sites to attack phones though.

Old Blue
12-02-2011, 12:37
Apparently mobile phone viruses have been around since 2004, but only recently likely to be encountered. www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-mobile-phone-virus.htm (http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-mobile-phone-virus.htm)

The phone with which I visited the Melbourne barmaid website started behaving very strangely: repeatedly trying to access the net when I wasn't telling it to, refusing to when I was telling it to, doing weird things with the display and voicemail, etc. I never did get ot the bottom of it.

I've no idea whether we should be thinking about doing anything new to protect our phones.

Farway
12-02-2011, 15:03
The phone with which I visited the Melbourne barmaid website started behaving very strangely: repeatedly trying to access the net when I wasn't telling it to, refusing to when I was telling it to, doing weird things with the display and voicemail, etc. I never did get ot the bottom of it.

Just to have my phone acces the net would be nice, I have tried & tried, asked the [no bloody] help desk but I remain firmly unconnected, which may be just as well

Strongers
12-02-2011, 23:39
Just to have my phone acces the net would be nice, I have tried & tried, asked the [no bloody] help desk but I remain firmly unconnected, which may be just as well

My sister in-law has a smart phone and whe's always looking things up on the net, just a shame it always cuts out when she's talking to someone. I love my phone, text and calls pay as you go... £10 every couple of months - I'm either being frugal or I have no friends - take your pick!!!

Crossste
13-02-2011, 07:13
My sister in-law has a smart phone and whe's always looking things up on the net, just a shame it always cuts out when she's talking to someone. I love my phone, text and calls pay as you go... £10 every couple of months - I'm either being frugal or I have no friends - take your pick!!!

You spend thrift! £10 every couple of months!

At the moment T-mobile are giving 30 min free per month for Jan/Feb/Mar to pay as you customers. I checked my balance this week and it gave me a resume of my latest history i,e. last call, duration, who too, free minutes etc. My last top up was £10 on the 21st July 2010 and i still have £3.07p left.

Conrad
14-02-2011, 13:15
I've no idea whether we should be thinking about doing anything new to protect our phones.
As far as I know there is no anti virus products at this time, if you don't use it though you should always make sure bluetooth is off (assuming you have that choice).

Eddie86
14-02-2011, 19:23
Apparently mobile phone viruses have been around since 2004, but only recently likely to be encountered. www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-mobile-phone-virus.htm (http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-mobile-phone-virus.htm)

I don't suppose you got to the bottom of the barmaids either?