PDA

View Full Version : "Once they are gone, they will be lost forever"

rpadam
31-01-2011, 21:42
No, not another thread about the vigourous pub closure debate, but something else that may be of interest to many pub goers who also enjoy walking or cycling in the countryside.

There is currently a lot of concern about the proposed piecemeal sale of the Forestry Commission's land, as evidenced by this online petition which has (at the time of writing) 354,565 signatories:

http://www.38degrees.org.uk/page/s/save-our-forests#petition

Now, what else could the "once they are gone, they will be lost forever" line be applied to?

Alesonly
31-01-2011, 23:47
Wow. Well its now gone up to 357.000 just two hours later. Yes I share your concern And signed it.
I know how much trouble we have had locally when the council sold of some local woods and open spaces It has all been closed off to all public access ever since. :moremad:

arwkrite
01-02-2011, 14:14
Thanks for the heads up on that. I am very concerned and have signed it. One of the many daft ideas this lot has come out with. That is a political comment. I would hate to see our forests simply raped by commercial organisations simply for profit. During my lifetime I have enjoyed the forest in many ways and had the pleasure of seeing wildlife at close hand. I want future generations to have the same chance. I do not care what political party comes up with this mad idea, they dont get my vote.

signed Arwkrite...made as a ferret wandering around a tight pair of trousers.

Maldenman
01-02-2011, 14:38
As a walker and someone who enjoys the countryside I am naturally concerned about any attack on the remaining forests and green spaces left in this country however I haven't signed as I am rather suspicious of why so much personal information is required.

Conrad
01-02-2011, 14:40
Thanks for that, signed it.

Being honest I am not really sure that I understood it, but I can think of no good reason to sell off forestry land.

Eddie86
01-02-2011, 14:40
I can't recall where I saw it but they are trying to reach 500 000 signitures by tonight, so that tomorrow (when this is being discussed in parliament) they can advertise in the papers how many have signed

Conrad
01-02-2011, 14:41
As a walker and someone who enjoys the countryside I am naturally concerned about any attack on the remaining forests and green spaces left in this country however I haven't signed as I am rather suspicious of why so much personal information is required.
Yeah I hate that as well, I am assuming it is a token effort to avoid duplicate signatures, must admit I used a disposable email address though.

Maldenman
01-02-2011, 15:41
Yeah I hate that as well, I am assuming it is a token effort to avoid duplicate signatures, must admit I used a disposable email address though.

Yes, wise move I think I'll sign but using a redundant one, my postcode may well include a typo too!

Eddie86
03-02-2011, 21:20
Did anyone see the adverts in the national press that these guys took out?

Strongers
03-02-2011, 21:36
Didn't see the ads, but signed it a few days ago (cheers RPA) and emailed it to all I know.

After watching Question Time I think that common sense will prevail.

rpadam
16-02-2011, 21:44
After watching Question Time I think that common sense will prevail.
Looks like it has!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-12488847

gillhalfpint
17-02-2011, 09:52
Just had an email from my son who lives on the borders of Hamsterley Forest in Co Durham. He says that he is attending a demonstration next week as feelings are running high locally over Hamsterley following the sale of nearby Stang Forest. People have found that access roads to their houses and farms have been blocked by the new owners. They have been told they can put in a bid to keep Hamsterley Forest a public forest at the market price of £8 million.

gillhalfpint
18-02-2011, 08:32
If anyone wants to read what is happening in Co. Durham regarding Hamsterley and Stang forests, I have put a couple of links.

http://www.teesdalemercury.co.uk/teesdale-news/story,3137.html
http://www.hamsterleyvillage.com/2011/02/5041/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=5041

My son says that the u-turn does NOT mean all forests are afe.