PDA

View Full Version : Wolverhampton pubs

Quinno
31-01-2011, 17:52
Off to a conference in Wolverhampton on Weds.

Got a pub visit longlist. Have no 2011 GBG yet (apparently someone has got it for me as a present but I can't get it yet as it's too heavy to post!) so am working off an old GBG.

So:

Chindit
Combermere
Great Western (been here before - v.good!)
Hogshead
Moon Under Water
Posada
Stile
Royal Oak
Tap & Spile

Any other suggestions welcome. Or reasons for deleting any of the above!

All pubs must be no further than 10 mins trot from the ring road or Molineux.

Also, if anyone (Andy, Soup?) is is around, drop me a PM).

I'm netless at home at the moment having just moved but Virgin Media man is supposed to be coming round tomorrow to connect me...so if I don't end up replying, blame him!!

Cheers
Quinno

ROBCamra
31-01-2011, 18:02
Chindit & Royal Oak are a bit out of the way from most of the others.

I don't know The Stile at all.

Hogshead is very good as is GW.

Posada & Tap can be a bit hit and miss, both beer & clientele.

Moon is a standard Spoons.

Combermere is a step back in time and very good but also a bit out on a limb unless you're doing Oak & Chindit as well.

Soup Dragon
31-01-2011, 18:02
Hi Quinno

I think you will find the Chindit is more than 10mins away from the Molineux/ring road

The Moon is a Spoons, and not the nicest place to be honest. The Western, is of course, class. I am doing a lot of Wolvo pubs at the moment, but the outside the city ones (Wednesfield and Bushbury are virtually completed). The Hoshead is actually pretty decent and the Pasada up and down in my opinion, but still worth a look. If you do the Combermere, you may want to try the Clarendon just by it - has a good array of Marstons drinks. I am working late on Wednesday and then have to do a talk, so i wont be finished until 10pm - i will then find somewhere for a pint - i will be gasping. Of course, nothing in the Midlands is as good as the Nag's Head:p

Soup Dragon
31-01-2011, 18:03
The Stile - i think its the place over the road from the Tap n Spile - closed i think, ROB, when you were around Wolvo.

Andy Ven
31-01-2011, 18:34
My hands are full with a new arrival at the moment but I would suggest taking a look at/in the Giffard Arms

Quinno
01-02-2011, 13:37
Afternoon all,

I am back online, huzzah, after being intermittent during my house move. Time to start putting on my last 500 pubs!

Many thanks for the comments above, I shall factor in the Giffard as that looks proper interesting. I have (in theory) from 14:30 until 20:43 so I reckon I can make a couple of the outliers with careful planning :)

EDIT - oh and Soup, I am now 3mins from the Nags Head!

Soup Dragon
01-02-2011, 15:59
EDIT - oh and Soup, I am now 3mins from the Nags Head!

You are addicted, young Quinno!

Pubsignman
01-02-2011, 16:08
Afternoon all,

I am back online, huzzah, after being intermittent during my house move.

I am going through this process myself having just moved to a property that doesn't have a phone line - they tell me I have to wait until March before someone can come out and install one!!

I hope you don't mind, but I'm going to hijack your thread as I'm looking for some recommendations for an upcoming trip to Walsall.

I'm going on Saturday 12th Feb for the football and was trying to pick four, maybe five, pubs to do before the game. My provisional list is:

Black Country Arms
Lyndon House Hotel
The Victoria
White Lion
(Wheatsheaf - time permitting)

I'd welcome any suggestions or amendments to this list. I hope to do everything by foot, so I don't want to pick anywhere too far out of town.

I was also wondering if it is feasable to walk from the White Lion to the Bescott Stadium.

Quinno
01-02-2011, 16:48
You are addicted, young Quinno!

LOL, well it's handy that my wife and I agreed on the property before she :twigs: how close it was...

Soup Dragon
01-02-2011, 19:18
I am going through this process myself having just moved to a property that doesn't have a phone line - they tell me I have to wait until March before someone can come out and install one!!

I hope you don't mind, but I'm going to hijack your thread as I'm looking for some recommendations for an upcoming trip to Walsall.

I'm going on Saturday 12th Feb for the football and was trying to pick four, maybe five, pubs to do before the game. My provisional list is:

Black Country Arms
Lyndon House Hotel
The Victoria
White Lion
(Wheatsheaf - time permitting)

I'd welcome any suggestions or amendments to this list. I hope to do everything by foot, so I don't want to pick anywhere too far out of town.

I was also wondering if it is feasable to walk from the White Lion to the Bescott Stadium.

Hi PSM

It isn't too bad to walk to if you know where you are going, or prepared to walk through Caldmore - generally, if you are in the town centre, popping on the choo choo for a stop is a better bet.

Pub wise, you have picked the best - in fact, you may not get out of the BCA! The Victoria is a bit more spit n sawdust compared to the Lyndon and if you are going the White Lion, the Sheaf is at least on the way.

The George V, near the ground (well the old ground!) does do real ale, but the gaffer from there went to the BCA.

Pubsignman
02-02-2011, 10:22
Hi PSM

It isn't too bad to walk to if you know where you are going, or prepared to walk through Caldmore - generally, if you are in the town centre, popping on the choo choo for a stop is a better bet.

Pub wise, you have picked the best - in fact, you may not get out of the BCA! The Victoria is a bit more spit n sawdust compared to the Lyndon and if you are going the White Lion, the Sheaf is at least on the way.

The George V, near the ground (well the old ground!) does do real ale, but the gaffer from there went to the BCA.

Thanks Soup. Glad to hear that I've picked a decent selection. I'm looking forward to a good day out.
I'm in two minds as to whether to start in town, finish at the White Lion and walk to the ground from there, or instead start at the White Lion, finish in town and then take the train to the ground. I think it may depend on how fit I'm feeling that day!

Soup Dragon
03-02-2011, 09:14
Thanks Soup. Glad to hear that I've picked a decent selection. I'm looking forward to a good day out.
I'm in two minds as to whether to start in town, finish at the White Lion and walk to the ground from there, or instead start at the White Lion, finish in town and then take the train to the ground. I think it may depend on how fit I'm feeling that day!

Forgot to mention, the Fountain is also worth a look if you get time

Quinno
03-02-2011, 13:00
In the end I managed

Chindit
Combermere
Great Western
Hogshead
Posada
Stile
Royal Oak

Tap and Spile was 'unrecommended' to me by two seperate publicans, who shall remain nameless!

The Giffard had no ale, which was a shame but meant I got more time at the Great Western :)

I also made copious notes, so reviews should follow fairly shortly!

It's fair to say that the Hogshead was a disappointment - they may have 8 beers and a CAMRA discount but they had no idea how to keep it!

gillhalfpint
03-02-2011, 13:43
May be wrong, but I think the Stile is one I walked round to in pouring rain that was near the football ground, and when I asked what real ale he had on I was told he only has it on when the team play at home!!

Quinno
03-02-2011, 14:38
May be wrong, but I think the Stile is one I walked round to in pouring rain that was near the football ground, and when I asked what real ale he had on I was told he only has it on when the team play at home!!

It's dead near Molineaux - had three ales on yesterday and Wolves were playing (but away) Two Banks and a Wychwood January Sale.

Soup Dragon
06-02-2011, 17:33
Hey Quinno

You were spotted in the Combermere by my main drinking buddy - he said 'there was some chap in there with a rucksack who was making loads of notes, a bit like you do'

gillhalfpint
06-02-2011, 18:44
Does Combermere still have a mantlepiece full of trinkets from around the world?

Quinno
07-02-2011, 10:59
Hey Quinno

You were spotted in the Combermere by my main drinking buddy - he said 'there was some chap in there with a rucksack who was making loads of notes, a bit like you do'

Oh dear! :o

Quinno
07-02-2011, 10:59
Does Combermere still have a mantlepiece full of trinkets from around the world?

Not that I noticed, but I spent most of the time there chatting to the barmaid :)

Soup Dragon
07-02-2011, 13:16
I spent most of the time there chatting to the barmaid :)

Yes, that is what my mate said - ;)

Quinno
07-02-2011, 16:29
Yes, that is what my mate said - ;)

Did he have a classic CAMRA look, perchance?

Soup Dragon
07-02-2011, 18:28
no, mate, he doesn't - quite the opposite

it was definately you because you look like a mutal friend of ours and he said that before i did!