PDA

View Full Version : Drank in at least in every English County

hopwas
03-11-2009, 11:49
Cumbria is the only County I yet to drink in and I have visited there but didnt drank in any pubs.

Any of you forumers done all Counties?

Farway
03-11-2009, 13:37
No, just totted up, only 13, which as it is unlucky I will have to get a move on before I expire

Ah, but I just remembered, had many in Bristol some years back, now does it count as it was a county then, then Gloucester I believe, now Avon, has it changed since?

Is Bristol the County equivalent of a triple word score? Can I claim 16? :D

hopwas
03-11-2009, 13:46
No, just totted up, only 13, which as it is unlucky I will have to get a move on before I expire

Ah, but I just remembered, had many in Bristol some years back, now does it count as it was a county then, then Gloucester I believe, now Avon, has it changed since?

Is Bristol the County equivalent of a triple word score? Can I claim 16? :D

Avon was a county between 1974 to 1996 before City of Bristol took it over. Avon is split into South Gloucestershire, City of Bristol, East Somerset and City of Bath district. Bit confusing I must say!

However Avon doesnt count, you may claim 16 ;)

Conrad
03-11-2009, 13:53
Alright, what have I done wrong today?

First you all talk about cricket, now you are all talking about moving county borders.

Next you'll all be talking about the pubs you hate and leaving axe job reviews :eek:

Soup Dragon
03-11-2009, 13:56
This is a difficult one.

I think I have been to every county in England (although some of the new administrative counties are, as hoppy says, a little confusing), i am currently trying to think of a county i have not had a pint in!:eek:

Conrad
03-11-2009, 14:07
I would love to come up with some sort of diary/personal log feature on the site, damned if I can work out how to make it easy to use though.

My sad count of counties in England would probably tally about 10 for drinks, I suspect I may have drunk in every Welsh county though.

Delboy20
03-11-2009, 19:59
Hi all,

Just had a look on Wikipedia - I didn't realise there were 48 counties so I am going to have to have a good think about it !!
A lot of my earlier travels revolved around drunken away matches so it won't be easy.
A quick guess looks like about 25 so I think I am over half way !!
Cheers,
Del.

arwkrite
03-11-2009, 22:45
I have never drank in Northumbria,Durham ,Yorkshire,Lincs, Rutland, Norfolk and Suffolk.Just never got round to that part of of the country.

oldboots
04-11-2009, 08:16
It's all a bit hazy but in over 30 years of drinking I'm pretty sure it's only Suffolk that I have never drank in.

Being less anglo-centric, in Wales I've only drunk in Cardiff, Port Talbot, Powys, Carnarvon, St Asaph, Llandudno, Llantwit Major, Barmouth and Blaenau Ffestiniog but then they keep changing the counties. In Scotland, where again everything keeps changing, I think everywhere except the Northern Isles, Tayside and Dumfries & Galloway. I've also been legless in Belfast and 'Derry. Never been to the Isle of Man which supposedly has the highest pub to people ratio in the British Isles.

Soup Dragon
04-11-2009, 09:43
I have been all over Wales, and likely done them too for beer. Scotland I travelled all over in my teen years, so not done for beer. I have done IOW and IOM and had beer in both.

Much of my travelling came from my football, archaeological and historical interests, and that i prefer to holiday here than abroad anyhow

Dave M
04-11-2009, 13:51
I think I can claim to have had a drink in 17 counties. Quite surprised it is so many!! :glass:

Sadly I've never been to the White Post Inn (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/64363/), where it is supposedly possible to have a drink in both Dorset & Somerset within the same pub.

Soup Dragon
04-11-2009, 13:58
I think I can claim to have had a drink in 17 counties. Quite surprised it is so many!! :glass:

Sadly I've never been to the White Post Inn (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/64363/), where it is supposedly possible to have a drink in both Dorset & Somerset within the same pub.

And lager doesn't count, so you have drank in 1 county:muppet:

Dave M
04-11-2009, 14:09
And lager doesn't count, so you have drank in 1 county:muppet:

That's not fair! If I strip out lager/cider from my youth and only count real beer then I think I'm down to 5. :(

Farway
04-11-2009, 14:19

Curse you Dave, now you have reminded me about the Half Moon at Sheet

http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/59767/

One bar in Hampshire, other in West Sussex.

I have been in there many years ago, looks like a repeat coming on mid Nov as I am up that way collecting fruit trees from Blackmoor on A272

Memo to self, take camera

Oggwyn Trench
04-11-2009, 21:19
Probally done about 20 plus all the Welsh and Edinburgh , my weak part is the east and south east , only really done London that way on .

hopwas
05-11-2009, 13:22
Curse you Dave, now you have reminded me about the Half Moon at Sheet

http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/59767/

One bar in Hampshire, other in West Sussex.

I have been in there many years ago, looks like a repeat coming on mid Nov as I am up that way collecting fruit trees from Blackmoor on A272

Memo to self, take camera

Nothing compared to this pub..

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2106/2395854060_c124e2459d.jpg?v=0

Before county boundaries changed in 1974, this pub used to have 4 counties meets each other inside the pub! They were Warwickshire, Staffordshire, Derbyshire and Leicestershire. There is counties boundary marker on celling in cellar.

Now pubs sits entirely in Warwickshire.

Conrad
05-11-2009, 13:47
Now pubs sits entirely in Warwickshire.
Thank Goodness, I am still trying to work out how to solve the placement of pubs in 2 counties ;)

arwkrite
05-11-2009, 16:45
Just out of interest was there any reason for pubs being set astride county boundaries? One for Soups I think.

oldboots
06-11-2009, 10:01
Just out of interest was there any reason for pubs being set astride county boundaries? One for Soups I think.

Wasn't it something to do with different licencing benches and permitted hours, if one county closed at say 10 and the other at 10:30 everyone moved to one end of the bar and continued drinking. :rolleyes:

Another for the list was the Red Lion in West Dean, half in Hampshire, half in Wiltshire.

hopwas
06-11-2009, 10:12
Thank Goodness, I am still trying to work out how to solve the placement of pubs in 2 counties ;)

There is simple way to solve this problem.. check pub's postcode. Lets say if this pub is in Staffordhire and other in Warwickshire, if it got Staffordshire postcode then place it in Staffordshire section.

What do you think?

oldboots
06-11-2009, 10:43
There is simple way to solve this problem.. check pub's postcode. Lets say if this pub is in Staffordhire and other in Warwickshire, if it got Staffordshire postcode then place it in Staffordshire section.

What do you think?

That raises another problem, Post Codes are based on "Post Towns" and don't take into account the county. I can think of a number of pubs with a Leeds (West Yorkshire) post code that are actually in North Yorkshire, the same thing happens with Northallerton it's the administrative centre for North Yorkshire but it has a Darlington (Co Durham) postcode. :confused:

Soup Dragon
06-11-2009, 10:44
Lichfield has Walsall post codes, i think

hopwas
06-11-2009, 10:46
That raises another problem, Post Codes are based on "Post Towns" and don't take into account the county. I can think of a number of pubs with a Leeds (West Yorkshire) post code that are actually in North Yorkshire, the same thing happens with Northallerton it's the administrative centre for North Yorkshire but it has a Darlington (Co Durham) postcode. :confused:

I see your point. Seems my solution is thrown out of window then.. :(

Funny old world.. these English counties eh?

hopwas
06-11-2009, 10:47
Lichfield has Walsall post codes, i think

Yes you are correct Sir..

Tamworth has Birmingham postcodes.

oldboots
06-11-2009, 10:57
Funny old world.. these English counties eh?

not 'alf mate, ask Soup Dragon to tell you about Detached Portions of counties before the 1880s reforms then you will be confused. Was it Stourport that used to wander about between three different counties?

arwkrite
06-11-2009, 11:24
I love those old maps by John? Speed showing all the detached bits. Little Hereford was in Shropshire plus a few more bits floating about.

Farway
06-11-2009, 11:30
Chichester has Portsmouth post code, which must p*ss the wealthy burghers right off

Soup Dragon
06-11-2009, 11:44
yes, john speed

It has always gone on - if you check the Domesday Book for Lancashire, i think it has area of north wales!

William the Conquerer wasnt one for political correctness it seems - and the entries are not in Welsh!

Conrad
06-11-2009, 12:04

What do you think?
I think I am very late to this conversation. Everyone else has answered it for me.

We used to do it your way and had no end of complaints for all the reasons stated already. Currently each subdistrict of a town (village for simplicity) has a county identifier attached to it, and the pub will match the county of its town/village. We do retain its Postal town's county as well. As an example of that take Staffordshire (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/counties/staffordshire/),
- there is a list of Postal towns (Burntwood, Burton on Trent, etc.),
- postal towns can have villages (Burton on Trent has Alrewas, Anslow, etc.)
- then after this there is a list of Villages also in Staffordshire so the first Alstonefield is part of the postal town of Ashbourne (Derbyshire), but is itself in Staffordshire. If you were in the Derbyshire (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/counties/derbyshire/) page and show the fillages of Ashbourne, Alstonefield will be there.

It is a horribly complicated system, but it is the best compromise we have found, really though the Search Site is the best way of getting round.

As to how we know which county a Town/Village is in, we rely on all you good souls to correct us.