PDA

View Full Version : Short Trip to Manchester - What Hostelries should I not miss

Gann
22-01-2011, 12:58
Have a short trip to Manchester next weekend, mainly to see Roxy Music at the MEN Arena.
Will only really have Saturday Evening and Sunday lunchtime available so won't have a lot of time for pub visits, especially as 'Her who must be obeyed' will probably wan't to drag me around the Arndale Centre.

So would be grateful for any local intel on what iconic Manchester City Centre institutions I should make sure I catch whilst Ooop Norf...

ROBCamra
22-01-2011, 13:04
Have a short trip to Manchester next weekend, mainly to see Roxy Music at the MEN Arena.
Will only really have Saturday Evening and Sunday lunchtime available so won't have a lot of time for pub visits, especially as 'Her who must be obeyed' will probably wan't to drag me around the Arndale Centre.

So would be grateful for any local intel on what iconic Manchester City Centre institutions I should make sure I catch whilst Ooop Norf...

Marble Arch, Angel, City Arms, Knott, Fringe, Peveril Of The Peak, Britons Protection, Mr Thomas's.

That should keep you going for a while, although there are loads more. :p

Delboy20
23-01-2011, 09:06

If you fancy the idea of drinking in an old underground toilet then the Temple of Convenience is a must. A unique pub and close to the Peveril of the Peak.

Crossste
23-01-2011, 15:07
Although i haven,t been down Manchester for a while i always like to call in the Smithfield Hotel, Swan St which is only just round the corner from the Marble Arch.

Gann
28-01-2011, 21:01
Many thanks Gent's...

Map done and I'll let you know how I get on next week..

Gann
02-02-2011, 18:29
Very good weekend in Manchester was had...

Managed to do more than I anticipated as we got up there without delay on Saturday lunchtime and managed to negotiate with the wife that if I agreed to a full day in the Salford Keys and Trafford Centre on monday, she'd skip the Arndale centre, so we spent the rest of Saturday and all day Sunday exploring the pubs and museums.

Managed to do the Fringe, Peveril Of The Peak, City Arms and Mr Thomas's of the ones recommended.

Britons Protection was shut on the Sunday and worryingly had a Business to Let sign outside.

Tried to catch a pint in the Angel when we emerged from the MEN Arena on Sunday night at 10.40PM but didn't realise that it must be 10.30 closing on Sunday as it was already locked up.

Of the ones I did try The Fringe was my favourite, mainly because on walking through the Northern Quarter on early Saturday evening to come across the current wasteland that is Swan Street , I thought you'd sold me a dummy and wasn't prepared for the excellent, warm welcoming real beer heaven hidden inside.

Also took in two of the Wetherspoons and thought the Waterhouse was a pretty good conversion and above the usual Wetherspoon drinking barns.
Tried out the two Nicholsons and really liked the Old Wellington, primarily because I like the idea of pubs that have been moved and built from scratch to preserve them, even if it is a bit of a tourist trap.
Even popped in The Shakespear on Fountain Street because I noticed they had Boddingtons oin draft and thought it would be rude not to try it in its spiritual home. Won't be making that mistake again....:sick:

And the down point of the weekend....
Walking through The Print Works at midnight on Saturday to realise that I'm 30 years too late.... :)
Mind you I'm not sure I could have coped with all that exposed flesh when I was 20, and how they do that when its -1oC is a mystery to me.....

Anyway, many thanks for the recommendations, a great weekend was had..

ROBCamra
03-02-2011, 10:25
[QUOTE=Gann;27285]I thought you'd sold me a dummy and wasn't prepared for the excellent, warm welcoming real beer heaven hidden inside.

QUOTE]

Oh ye of little faith and trust. :rolleyes:

hondo
03-02-2011, 11:59
And the down point of the weekend....
Walking through The Print Works at midnight on Saturday to realise that I'm 30 years too late.... :)
Mind you I'm not sure I could have coped with all that exposed flesh when I was 20, and how they do that when its -1oC is a mystery to me.....

as the Kaiser Chiefs sang

"Girls scrabble round with no clothes on
To borrow a pound for a condom
If it wasn't for chip fat they'd be frozen
they're not very sensible" :o I'm getting old:twigs::(:twigs:

Gann
06-02-2011, 11:41
Britons Protection was shut on the Sunday and worryingly had a Business to Let sign outside.

Now reviewing my notes and realised I made a mistake above, It was the Peveril Of the Peak which was shut, not the Britons. And on doing a bit more research it looks like the Peveril doesn't open till the evening on a weekend...

ROBCamra
06-02-2011, 11:43
Now reviewing my notes and realised I made a mistake above, It was the Peveril Of the Peak which was shut, not the Britons. And on doing a bit more research it looks like the Peveril doesn't open till the evening on a weekend...

The Pev only opens on a Saturday afternoon if Man U are at home. :manutdfc: