PDA

View Full Version : Premier League of Darts

Strongers
19-01-2011, 00:06
I've given the very nice peope at Sportguru a nudge towards running a Premier League of Darts league and I was wondering if anyone on here watches or follows it. I appreciate that I'm probably more interested in the arrows than most, but i'm sure that I remember a few posts where some darting interest has been made.

On a slightly separate note, would Conrad or Dave (Dave or Conrad) add Sportguru to the list of interesting websites or do they all have to be beer and pub related?

trainman
19-01-2011, 07:58
I throw some comedy darts occasionally with a mate, but don't watch any league darts on tv & don't really recognise anyone beyond Taylor these days.

RogerB
19-01-2011, 08:07
I used to play regularly for a local pub in the Courage Darts League and, if I say so myself, was a pretty decent chucker at the time. I've not played seriously for nearly 20 years and probably couldn't hit the proverbial cows arse with a banjo these days. Darts (like snooker) as a spectator sport doesn't do much for me I'm afraid.

hondo
19-01-2011, 08:07
ocd kicking in i would sign up for the darts & are we up for the six nations rugby allez les bleus

482 483

trainman
19-01-2011, 08:48
Yep, a classic piece of TOTP research work that was!

Reminded me that the White Hart (Tulse Hill) had Jocky in to do an exhibition and he was a right moody git - not even playing the agreed minimum number of 'challenge' legs.

Totally different when Taylor was booked years later and, when the boys warming up in trepidation offered him the board on arrival, he said, 'nah, don't be daft - I'll mark the next game'. He played everyone who wanted a game, beyond the shortlisted few.
The pub sent him a telegram wishing him luck at the next WC, and he phoned in person to thank them. I know he's not your fav Strongers, but top bloke from what I hear.

Quinno
19-01-2011, 11:02
I keep an eye on things, but can't often catch the stuff as I have no TV and it isn't necessarily the op pick for pub TV. I generally just have to catch PDC stuff on Youtube clips.

I was at the Lakeside in person a couple of weeks back for BDO though!

Conrad
19-01-2011, 12:14
On a slightly separate note, would Conrad or Dave (Dave or Conrad) add Sportguru to the list of interesting websites or do they all have to be beer and pub related?
I am afraid that on the main site they have to be beer and pub related. And whilst I like Sportguru that is one floodgate I do not want to open.

Our web site is fairly well regarded, and as such we regularly get bemusing requests for link exchanges which is to do with web optimisation, things can swiftly go to hell on links pages due to that.

Strongers
19-01-2011, 12:48
I keep an eye on things, but can't often catch the stuff as I have no TV and it isn't necessarily the op pick for pub TV. I generally just have to catch PDC stuff on Youtube clips.

I was at the Lakeside in person a couple of weeks back for BDO though!

I went to some third round games at Ally Pally just before Christmas and have to admit to not being that impressed. I've been to lakeside in the past and it is great for watching the darts, but the crowd attracted to the PDC events seem more interested in getting on TV than they do watching the darts.

Quinno
19-01-2011, 15:57
I went to some third round games at Ally Pally just before Christmas and have to admit to not being that impressed. I've been to lakeside in the past and it is great for watching the darts, but the crowd attracted to the PDC events seem more interested in getting on TV than they do watching the darts.

Yeah, I get that feeling too. The quality at the PDC is clearly superior though.

Strongers
20-01-2011, 09:34
Yeah, I get that feeling too. The quality at the PDC is clearly superior though.

PDC - Professional
BDO - Amateur... Although there are a couple of BDO players that would waltz into the top 16 of the PDC.

Quinno
20-01-2011, 10:07
PDC - Professional
BDO - Amateur... Although there are a couple of BDO players that would waltz into the top 16 of the PDC.

From Wikipedia:

An average over 100 in a match in the PDC World Championship has [since the split] been achieved 58 times, compared to 20 times in the BDO World Championships, despite the BDO tournament's longer history. 9 different men have achieved an average of over 100 in the PDC tournament, compared to 8 different men in the BDO tournament since the split in 1994.

The Grand Slam could, in a few years, start to settle the argument a bit.

Thing with the BDO is that, outside of the top four or five players, there's some shocking darts going on - mainly an inability to hit doubles. If Martin Adams could properly conquer his nerves, he'd be a good bet for the top 16 of the PDC. Likewise John Walton, if he can get back his form of a few years back.

Having seen plenty of games, there's definitely and element of 'raising your game' when playing against someone like Taylor - averages go up.

Strongers
20-01-2011, 10:37
Scott Waites is a BDO player and he won the Grand Slam of Darts last year beating Barneveld, Co Stompe, The Bronze Adonis (who knocked Taylor out) and then James Wade in the final. He's a carpenter, but I reckon he'll make the switch this year.

I agree that averages go up when playing Taylor, especially as most people don't get to throw for a double so they are just scoring.

Quinno
20-01-2011, 10:57
I agree that averages go up when playing Taylor, especially as most people don't get to throw for a double so they are just scoring.

:lol: - true.

Scott Waites - I saw him play Stephen Bunting at the Lakeside and he didn't show any real flair, might have been an off-day but Bunting (who did play fairly well) took him apart without too much fuss. Bunting could be a good player but he seems to get frustrated easily and lose his poise.