PDA

View Full Version : Disappearing Winter Ales

Thuck Phat
10-01-2011, 10:36
I've noticed over the last week or two in my regular haunts that the Winter Ales, which were so welcome pre Christmas, have all but disappeared and been replaced by the more ubiquitous lighter range. Not that this is a massive problem as I tend to enjoy lighter beers but with the chilly weather we've had I have found the darker ales comforting.
This isn't just limited to festive Christmas Ales but anything that could be classed as a Winter Beer, including standard stouts etc., seems to have all but disappeared. I don't know if this is simply demand outstripping supply, in which case that's probably a high quality problem which ought to change in the next week or two, or that the places I tend to frequent have all had a policy change.
Anyone else finding the same?

Brewguru
10-01-2011, 12:09
I have noticed a resurgence in paler beers as well.
I think the very cold weather before and during Christmas encouraged Landlords to get some darker beers in. Together with seasonal Christmassy beers tending to the dark side gave us a nice spell of rich maltier brews. Now temperatures are back to normal and pubs are quieter they are stocking paler brews as these are seen as less of a risk. The trend for pale continues I'm afraid, especially if dark is your bag. The dark ones are still around, they just need a little searching for.

Rex_Rattus
10-01-2011, 12:43
I hadn't given this much thought, but I visited a couple of Young's pubs yesterday, neither of which had on their classic Winter Warmer, whereas the Young's pubs I visited before Christmas did have it on. Could just be a coincidence of course and it may be that the pubs I visited yesterday had never stocked it.

Soup Dragon
10-01-2011, 12:44
Yes, i have seen Hopback Summer Lightning and Everard's Sunchaser recently!

aleandhearty
10-01-2011, 12:48
Certainly the big hitters, over 6%, seem to have disappeared. However, still coming across dark beers amongst the tide of golden ales.

NickDavies
10-01-2011, 14:02
It's what they do. Marketing departments have fixed seasons for things which bear no relationship to reality. The main point of winter for them is to sell Christmas stuff. Winter ales/Christmas ales are interchangeable in their minds. Winter ends on 1st Jan and the shops open on 2nd Jan to the first day of their spring, whose function is to sell Easter stuff, hence the shops are now full of Easter eggs, golden 'spring' ales abound and no doubt there'll be a few beers around with daft hoppy Easter bunny names. And we'll have to endure various royal wedding shenanigans from the brewers too.

ROBCamra
10-01-2011, 14:09
And we'll have to endure various royal wedding shenanigans from the brewers too.

Given that KM's nickname for William is apparently "Big Willie" that should allow the brewers a bit of fun really. :eek:

Alesonly
11-01-2011, 08:24
I have noticed lighter and lower Alcoholic strength Ales in a lot of Pubs as well recently.
Could this be a Tax decision by some brewery's so as too off set Tax & Vat rise by Selling weaker Beers now and gradually increasing strengths and Prices over the next few months.

ROBCamra
11-01-2011, 08:31
I haven't noticed any difference around here. TT Ram Tam & Sadlers Winter Spice available in The Baum.

Acorn Gorlovka Stout in the Regal Moon.

aleandhearty
11-01-2011, 09:28
Given that KM's nickname for William is apparently "Big Willie" that should allow the brewers a bit of fun really. :eek:

Hopefully, any beers with that name will have good length....

Thuck Phat
11-01-2011, 10:17
Tax and marketing sound like very plausible explanations but something of a shame that the brewers celebration of the season is coming to an end so soon. Having said that I've found a much wider variety and higher quality of Winter ales this year (2010/11) than ever before. There seems to have been a real effort made to mark the season which probably comes back to marketing but I'm certainly not complaining.
In the meantime, whenever I find a decent Winter Ale over the next month or two I'll be filling my boots and making a mental note to gorge well as soon as they appear next winter.

hondo
11-01-2011, 12:06
Hopefully, any beers with that name will have good length....
476 :o
http://www.tankmuseum.org/ixbin/indexplus?record=ART2579&_IXMENU_=news_and_events

Eddie86
11-01-2011, 12:54
All I can say is you should still find a Stout or Porter on at any time with us. Not just because they are what I enjoy!

Paris_Hilton
12-01-2011, 15:56
Could this be due to the same phenomenom that sees christmas crackers replaced by Easter Eggs on 27 December? Yes' I've seen Easter Eggs in the supermarkets.

runningdog
13-01-2011, 18:39
The Nightjar came up with a new one on me today. Butcombe's Old Vic porter. I've never seen a dark Butcombe beer before but I didn't let that put me off. :whistle: Rather nice but I reckon it could be dangerous. It drinks 4.2 or so but in reality it says 4.8 on the clip.:cheers::cheers::drinkup:

Brakslover
19-01-2011, 08:36
RE: Disappearing Winter Ales

Visited The Hare & Hounds in East Sheen last night. Young's Winter Warmer priced at £1.73 a pint. At that rate it will be disappearing very quickly I would have thought!

Thuck Phat
19-01-2011, 10:20
Young's version of the post Christmas cut price Christmas decoration sale?

I've just found a rare couple of wintery ales - Hoggleys Frosty Ferret, Sadlers Winter Spice and Blue Monkey 99 Red Baboons. As with the Winter Warmer, time to get quaffing!

hondo
19-01-2011, 12:44
we'll have to endure various royal wedding shenanigans from the brewers too.

http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/news/Brewery-cooking-royal-knees-Kate-Wills/article-3115684-detail/article.html

I suppose Measure for Measure All's Well That Ends Well :sick:

trainman
19-01-2011, 22:36
http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/news/Brewery-cooking-royal-knees-Kate-Wills/article-3115684-detail/article.html

I groaned to a Notts pal who knows the Castle Rock guys - he replied 'Well, it's better than Kiss me Willie...'

Eddie86
19-01-2011, 23:05
I rather enjoy'd the comment made by a brewer when asked if he'd be brewing an ale for the wedding:

'I'll only brew a special beer for my own wedding. 2 casks will be available - one for the wedding, one for the divorce'

gillhalfpint
20-01-2011, 07:47
Isn't it Arundel that did a lot of Willie beers? They might not be shy of a Kiss Me Willie!

General Staal
25-01-2011, 20:45
Lovely pint of Thwaites Nutty Black at the Queslett the other night. The other ales on were all pale. Bengal Lancer was decent enough.

Pangolin
27-01-2011, 13:03
One issue is the maturing time for some of the winter ales. Once they're gone, they're gone. But brewery marketing is the main thing. So Hook Norton clearly stated that 12 Days was on sale until the end of the year, which is normal (although I recollect a few years ago they found a forgotten barrel in March - nectar!!).

http://www.hook-norton-brewery.co.uk/news2010/12_day_2010/12_days_2010.html

Luckily, the next offering is Double Stout...

http://www.hook-norton-brewery.co.uk/news_2011.html

Alesonly
27-01-2011, 17:09
lm Just in the Tally Ho now at Finchley drinking a pint of Double Stout whilst browsing the site :drinkup:

gillhalfpint
28-01-2011, 08:53
Love the 12 days but haven't managed to find any this winter.

We did a couple of winter brewery trips to Hook Norton and ok it was £7.50 to get in then, a few years ago, but wow, after the tour we had a glass and 2 hours and 5 pumps including 12 days to enjoy. They brought jugs of Double Stout up too.

aleandhearty
29-01-2011, 12:52
As mentioned on BOTW enjoyed some fine Centurion's Ghost and Sarah Hughes Dark Ruby last night. Also spotted Rudgate Ruby Mild, but didn't get chance to try it. We found out that the pub selling the Sarah Hughes has it on permanently, which is amazing for a West Yorkshire hostelry. On balance, probably a good thing it's on the other side of town!

Oggwyn Trench
29-01-2011, 22:36
Only real ale on at the Swan in Wellington , (more of a food pub) tonight was Blacksheep Ruddy Ram Porter , very nice to