PDA

View Full Version : Beermats

Delboy20
02-01-2011, 21:18
Hi all,

Some of you may remember me bringing up the topic of beermats a few months ago. As I said then I still pick a few up. Since that discussion I have found myself picking up more and more. My daughter has now expressed an interest in them and I am now collecting on her behalf ( and mine to be honest !! ). Trouble is I tend to go to the same pubs and therefore get the same mats.

A search in the spare room at my mothers turned up a box full from my youth ( along with various other pub related items - I'll get onto them at a later date ).

Anyway my request is if anybody feels inclined to pick a few up here and there she ( and I ) would appreciate it.

Assuming anybody is willing I would happily pay postage. Probably best to get a few together and send me them in one go.

I reckon between all my fellow PuGers we can cover the whole of Britain !!

Please feel free to ignore this post if I am being a bit cheeky.

Cheers,

Del.

Strongers
03-01-2011, 00:52
I'm a little unsure whether to help as the Villa cost me a couple of grand slam points and the yellow cap with their equaliser this afternoon :moremad: but as it is for a youngen ;) I'll pick up a few off the south coast and you can give me delivery details when I have a little hoard in a month or so - I'll even try to find some dry ones!

gillhalfpint
03-01-2011, 11:19
We are always picking mats up and I have loads. Don't want to throw them out and don't know what to do with them, so how do you want to arrange things where posting is concerned. I can pack a load into a creal box or similar and wrap for a trial run if you want me to give it a go.

Delboy20
03-01-2011, 12:56
I'm a little unsure whether to help as the Villa cost me a couple of grand slam points and the yellow cap with their equaliser this afternoon :moremad: but as it is for a youngen ;) I'll pick up a few off the south coast and you can give me delivery details when I have a little hoard in a month or so - I'll even try to find some dry ones!

Cheers Strongers. I'll PM you my address when you need it. I was delighted at the late equaliser. I thought we deserved at least a point if not all three. The ref seemed very happy to book most of our team but equally happy to let Chelski get away with numerous fouls. Essien in particular made at least 4 bookable challenges including the penalty but didn't get booked. It seems to me that refs favour the "bigger" sides in the prem.

Delboy20
03-01-2011, 12:58
We are always picking mats up and I have loads. Don't want to throw them out and don't know what to do with them, so how do you want to arrange things where posting is concerned. I can pack a load into a creal box or similar and wrap for a trial run if you want me to give it a go.

Cheers Gill I will PM you. By the way was that you pictured in the latest "Out in Brum" ?

RogerB
03-01-2011, 13:20
Since you have been generous enough to provide us with 6 points this season :) as well as bugger up Chelski's start to the year :D, I will see what I can collect on my travels. I'll PM you for your address when I have a batch that is worth sending off.

gillhalfpint
03-01-2011, 14:13
Yes that was me in Out inn Brum wearing the PG meet up T-shirt. Did enjoy working the Birmingham fest this year.

I'll get some beer mats sorted out.

Conrad
03-01-2011, 15:12
The response to this thread shows what I love about this site.

And :notworthy: Gill for the t-shirt promotion.

Rex_Rattus
03-01-2011, 15:32
I thought we deserved at least a point if not all three. The ref seemed very happy to book most of our team but equally happy to let Chelski get away with numerous fouls. Essien in particular made at least 4 bookable challenges including the penalty but didn't get booked. It seems to me that refs favour the "bigger" sides in the prem.

Refs favour the bigger teams? Surely not. You don't know what you're talking about. I'm not going to talk to you anymore. And where are my loan players?

Signed,

Sir Alex Ferguson

Farway
03-01-2011, 16:09
I may duplicate some of Strongers Sarf Coast ones, but I will start collecting and them to send on at a suitable time

gillhalfpint
03-01-2011, 17:00
Sorry Conrad, the photo was me wearing the bright yellow t-shirt I had on at the start of the meetup in Birmingham.

You'll be blowing me a raspberry now me thinks. Pub Galore shirt was worn in Belgium over Xmas, and cards recently dropped round Chelmsford GBG pubs.

aleandhearty
04-01-2011, 13:26
Hi Delboy

Will start collecting as from today. If there are two of you collecting, do you want me to double up on each mat if possible?

Will PM you when I have a large envelope full.

Farway
04-01-2011, 14:48
Bit disappointing on my first "official" collecting day, all were Guinness, which I guess are universal:(

There was I hoping for local or regional brews

Delboy20
04-01-2011, 20:09
Since you have been generous enough to provide us with 6 points this season :) as well as bugger up Chelski's start to the year :D, I will see what I can collect on my travels. I'll PM you for your address when I have a batch that is worth sending off.

Thank you very much and don't mention the 6 points !! There was something I wanted to ask you about the Lane. I was thinking of the pubs I used when I used to go there back in the early 90's. I went in the Olive Branch a few times but I see that the Park is closed. When did that close ?? I had a few memorable times in there.

Delboy20
04-01-2011, 20:10
I may duplicate some of Strongers Sarf Coast ones, but I will start collecting and them to send on at a suitable time

Thanks in advance Farway.

Delboy20
04-01-2011, 20:14
Hi Delboy

Will start collecting as from today. If there are two of you collecting, do you want me to double up on each mat if possible?

Will PM you when I have a large envelope full.

Thanks for helping out. Don't worry about doubling up unless you want to. It is entirely up to you. If you get 2 I can always pass on any doubles to someone else.

Delboy20
04-01-2011, 20:18
I think I have replied to everyone but in case I have missed anybody out - Thanks to all who have offered to steal on my behalf :D!!

Never mind the fantasy football - I am going to keep an unofficial league table of beermats :lol::lol:

Andy Ven
10-01-2011, 22:07
http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?2594-Beermats

I remember we chatted about how they aren't as common as they used to be but you've now become a tegestologist. I'll happily pick some up and PM you when I've got a few.

I could act as a Birmingham post box and hold them for anyone until you can pick them up (by suspicious exchange of a brown envelope in the Welly) if the postage was too steep.

Eddie86
11-01-2011, 14:05
I'll have a look what I've got in the cellar - I know I've got some Wye Valley, Pedigree, Boondoggle, ERdinger and Brooklyn lying around somewhere at least

Delboy20
13-01-2011, 22:24
http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?2594-Beermats

I remember we chatted about how they aren't as common as they used to be but you've now become a tegestologist. I'll happily pick some up and PM you when I've got a few.

I could act as a Birmingham post box and hold them for anyone until you can pick them up (by suspicious exchange of a brown envelope in the Welly) if the postage was too steep.

Cheers Andy. A pub table doesn't look right without beermats on it ( or an ashtray for that matter ! )

Delboy20
13-01-2011, 22:27
I'll have a look what I've got in the cellar - I know I've got some Wye Valley, Pedigree, Boondoggle, ERdinger and Brooklyn lying around somewhere at least

Cheers to you too Eddie. All donations gratefully reveived !

gillhalfpint
14-01-2011, 00:10
I will probably find it easier to get mine into the Welly too. When might be I be able to pass them on to you Andy? I can bring them one afternoon / early evening up to Tuesday.

Farway
14-01-2011, 13:34
Cheers Andy. A pub table doesn't look right without beermats on it ( or an ashtray for that matter ! )

And if in JDW, some dirty plates, glasses & crumpled crisp / nut packets :eek:

gillhalfpint
14-01-2011, 14:04
Ashtrays were handy to put rubbish in, and beer mats handy to cure wobbly legs.

ROBCamra
14-01-2011, 14:34
beer mats handy to cure wobbly legs.

When I get wobbly legs I've never had much use for beermats, they don't seem to help. :D

Conrad
14-01-2011, 14:49
When I get wobbly legs I've never had much use for beermats, they don't seem to help. :D
You're obviously taking them wrongly.

oldboots
14-01-2011, 16:32
You're obviously taking them wrongly.

as they're usually square they don't fit sideways so you probably need to roll them into a tube:whistle:

Eddie86
16-01-2011, 13:53
Cheers to you too Eddie. All donations gratefully reveived !

Are whole sleeves any use to you - as bargaining tools perhaps? Or would one of each suffice?

Delboy20
20-01-2011, 22:11
Are whole sleeves any use to you - as bargaining tools perhaps? Or would one of each suffice?

Just a couple of each would do. I imagine it would cost a fair bit to post complete packs of them !

Andy Ven
18-03-2011, 21:28
Del,

I've got about 20 for you at the moment. They're in a box under my desk in Brum so they're not in the way or anything. If you PM me your address I'll post them to or you can collect them from me, whatever suits.

Up the Saddlers :pray:

RogerB
19-03-2011, 18:54
I also have about 20 and I will also include some of my very own personalised spillage free of charge - let me know your details and I'll post them off. It wasn't until this thread started I realised just how few beer mats there are about these days!

Strongers
20-03-2011, 01:06
I've got 15 somewhere, mostly Harveys, Dark Star and anti drink driving - let me know your address and whether you want only ale beer mats.

Delboy20
20-03-2011, 18:53
Andy / Roger / Strongers

PM sent - thank you very much - all mats are welcome, stained or otherwise !!!

PS Andy - great comeback from Walsall yesterday, I hope they stay up mate.

Andy Ven
20-03-2011, 21:20
PS Andy - great comeback from Walsall yesterday, I hope they stay up mate.

Cheers. I pick and choose my games these days. I thought about going yesterday but decided that I needed to get stuff done at home. D'oh! The last time I made that decision we beat Bristol Rovers 6-1. I haven't seen us win yet this season

Pubsignman
21-03-2011, 10:58
Hi Delboy

I've managed to collect a few for you as well (not sure how many, probably 12-15) so if you PM me your address I will send them off to you.

I've also been surprised at just how much of a struggle it's been to find them - there are so many pubs that don't bother with them any more.

PSM

Strongers
21-03-2011, 12:20
Hi Delboy

I've managed to collect a few for you as well (not sure how many, probably 12-15) so if you PM me your address I will send them off to you.

I've also been surprised at just how much of a struggle it's been to find them - there are so many pubs that don't bother with them any more.

PSM

I agree. Also, when you do find some they look like a tramps heavily used cardboard box and there is no way I'd put them in an envelope let alone in my pocket.

Pubsignman
21-03-2011, 13:11
I agree. Also, when you do find some they look like a tramps heavily used cardboard box and there is no way I'd put them in an envelope let alone in my pocket.

Yes, I've certainly had to leave a few pubs empty handed where all the beer mats were turning into a soggy pulp.

Having said that, I've noticed that a few places now keep their beer mats in little holders on the bar counter, rather than on the tables, so I've managed to grab a few fresh ones thanks to this (continental?) trend.

Andy Ven
21-03-2011, 18:10
I posted a small packet to you this morning. I've tried to collect only the cleanest crisp beermats.

I included at least one from a pub that produced their own beer mat, I'll keep collecting and sending them through when I get to two dozen or so.

Are there any particular types of beermat you dislike, such as ones advertising lager or non-pub related products?

Delboy20
21-03-2011, 20:27
PM sent ... cheers....

Delboy20
21-03-2011, 20:29
Are there any particular types of beermat you dislike, such as ones advertising lager or non-pub related products?

There is nothing wrong with lager !!!! Any will do thanks.

aleandhearty
21-03-2011, 20:49
Hi Delboy

I've also got about twenty or so saved up, so if you PM me your address I'll get those off to you.

I think my biggest problem has been avoiding duplicates, rather than finding mats in a fit state to collect (nick).

Cheers.

Delboy20
03-04-2011, 19:48
Two lots received last week - many thanks to Andy and Roger.:notworthy:

Carry on collecting .......:cheers:

RogerB
03-04-2011, 23:54
I'm halfway there to the next batch - might have some Isle of Wight goodies in there!

Farway
12-05-2011, 16:22
Hi Delboy

I have finished my "low hanging fruit" collection, a dozen or so with little chance of adding more until Autumn, so if you PM me your address I will pop them in the post next week

Delboy20
12-05-2011, 20:19
Another package received - Thanks Pubsignman. PM sent.

Thanks Farway - PM sent.

Andy Ven
13-05-2011, 07:48
I'm still collecting. Hopefully I will have another decent sized batch within the next month or so. I've still got your address.

Up the Saddlers!

Farway
21-05-2011, 15:22
Thanks Farway - PM sent.

Posted today

Delboy20
30-05-2011, 08:17
Thanks Farway - PM sent.

hondo
30-05-2011, 12:33
http://www.thisiscornwall.co.uk/news/Cornwall-Council-credit-card-8216-scandal-8217-leader-says-hide/article-3608346-detail/article.html

aleandhearty
27-06-2011, 16:13
Hi 'Delboy'. Not seen you on the boards for a while. Are you still collecting beermats? Thought I'd better just ask, before posting another envelope full. Cheers.

Delboy20
30-06-2011, 22:45
Hi there,

Yes I am still here. and still collecting !!

Don't seem to have had much time spare lately. I am having a new bathroom fitted so the whole house has been in chaos for a couple of weeks.

Just catching up with a few threads - I will try and add some "intelligent" comments soon !!!

A pub crawl round Wollaston tomorrow night to look forward to though.

Cheers,

Del.

RogerB
01-07-2011, 07:58
I've got a few more ready to send including one from the new Craft Beer Co that opened on Wednesday so that will ertainly be a new one for you. Will see what I pick up around Winchester today and then post them off next week.

Andy Ven
04-07-2011, 21:32
I posted another batch today :)

Delboy20
07-07-2011, 19:17
Another package received this week. Not sure who sent them but thanks anyway !:notworthy::notworthy:

Del.

aleandhearty
07-07-2011, 19:21
Another package received this week. Not sure who sent them but thanks anyway !:notworthy::notworthy:

Del.

Not me! Haven't quite got my ar$e into gear this week. A reminder to post tomorrow.

Andy Ven
07-07-2011, 21:25

Del.

It was me. See the post above yours ;)

aleandhearty
08-07-2011, 22:38
Haven't quite got my ar$e into gear this week. A reminder to post tomorrow.

Finally, got them in the post today.

RogerB
08-07-2011, 23:00
I've posted a few today as well.

Delboy20
09-07-2011, 20:55
Finally, got them in the post today.

Thanks for the mats from "sunny Yorkshire" !

Cheers,

Del.

Farway
11-07-2011, 15:37
These ones (http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/local/east-hampshire/the_beer_mats_which_all_have_a_story_to_tell_1_285 4226) will be as rare as hen's teeth, and unfortunately not very convenient for me to pop along to get some

"THESE pub regulars have been immortalised forever – as beer mats.

Young artist Hannah Rhodes visited Southsea pubs The Phoenix, the Duke of Devonshire and the Goose at the V&A, to find an array of colourful characters to sketch.

And it wasn’t long before the pubs received deliveries of beer mats with the names and faces of their best customers printed alongside a short quote."

Delboy20
24-07-2011, 19:38
I've posted a few today as well.

Thanks Roger. Sorry I couldn't reply sooner - computer problems !!

Cheers,

Del.

RogerB
24-07-2011, 23:24
No worries. Already started on the next batch!

Delboy20
05-08-2011, 21:13
Yes, I've certainly had to leave a few pubs empty handed where all the beer mats were turning into a soggy pulp.

Having said that, I've noticed that a few places now keep their beer mats in little holders on the bar counter, rather than on the tables, so I've managed to grab a few fresh ones thanks to this (continental?) trend.

Thanks for the latest batch PSM - keep up the good work.

Cheers,

Del.

Pubsignman
06-08-2011, 00:41
No probs Del

Hope there are a few new ones in there for you.

PSM

Andy Ven
11-08-2011, 17:50
Blimey! Have you seen this beermat collectors site?

http://www.beermatmania.com/

It's a serious business.

Delboy20
14-08-2011, 20:50

Hi Gill,

Just remembered we never did sort anything out. Do you still have them ? Let me know if you want to send them or meet up.

Cheers,

Del.

Delboy20
14-08-2011, 20:52
Blimey! Have you seen this beermat collectors site?

http://www.beermatmania.com/

It's a serious business.

I hadn't seen that site to be honest..... it looks a bit too serious for me !!!

I'll try and sort out a trip to Walsall this season and let you know.

I have to go in the new Spoon's anyway !!

Del.

gillhalfpint
14-08-2011, 22:09
I have just been through the bags of beer mats, and there is a kellogs Cornflakes 750 g box overflowing with them so I don't know about posting them.

They date back years - some have 2004 dates on them, but they have been picked up in whatever pubs we have been in so not all in good nick. Lots of defunct breweries.

Feel it would be better to bring them into Birmingham rather than try to post them, I would prefer to hand them over. I can be in a pub in Birmingham with them up to around 7pm Monday or Tuesday this week, going to Egham fest for a few days Wednesday, or Monday or Tuesday next week as I'll be off to go to Peterborough fest on the Wednesday followed by Newark for a few days. We don't stay out late in town.

Let me know what's best for you.

Gill

Andy Ven
15-08-2011, 12:37
Feel it would be better to bring them into Birmingham rather than try to post them, I would prefer to hand them over. I can be in a pub in Birmingham with them up to around 7pm Monday or Tuesday this week.

Gill

Gill/Del,

If it's any help I can hold onto them for any time Del comes into Brum or meets me in Walsall. I'm based in Bull Street. I'll PM you my mobile number in case you want to take up my offer

Andy

gillhalfpint
15-08-2011, 14:07
Thanks for your help. See you next week with the beermats for Del.

Delboy20
15-08-2011, 20:48
Gill / Andy

Cheers each. I have pm'd you both.

Del.

Andy Ven
24-08-2011, 22:01
Del,

I have your beermats. Next time you're in Brum or coming to Walsall just drop me a text or PM beforehand.

Andy

Delboy20
26-08-2011, 21:27
Cheers Andy -- will do ....

Delboy20
30-08-2011, 20:40
To whom it may concern...

Another small batch received this week... thanks to whoever sent it !!!

Del.

Strongers
31-08-2011, 14:32
That was me. I did have more, but my youngest decided to draw on them.

aleandhearty
06-09-2011, 17:02
Posted another batch today. Should be with you by the end of the week.

Delboy20
06-09-2011, 18:21
That was me. I did have more, but my youngest decided to draw on them.

Thanks a lot Strongers.

Delboy20
06-09-2011, 18:21

Cheers mate . I'll look forward to them !!

Delboy20
09-09-2011, 20:31

Arrived safely - thanks again.

Oggwyn Trench
16-10-2011, 21:18
The British Beermat Collecters Society are holding a meeting at Crown Inn (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/32699/) on November 22nd with lots of mats to buy/sell/trade or just to display and admire , dont know what part of the Black Country your based but its only 15 minutes from Wolves on the train , thought you might be intrested.

Delboy20
09-02-2012, 18:23
Many thanks to pubsignman for the latest batch - cheers mate:notworthy:

PS Andy - I haven't forgotten that you have some - I am just not that organised !! I will sort something out soon.

Andy Ven
09-02-2012, 21:10
Many thanks to pubsignman for the latest batch - cheers mate:notworthy:

PS Andy - I haven't forgotten that you have some - I am just not that organised !! I will sort something out soon.

OK, Del. They're OK for now

rpadam
12-02-2012, 21:51
Haven't found one of these yet, but will look out...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-17003123

Andy Ven
22-05-2012, 21:50
OK, Del. They're OK for now

Del,

let me know next time you're in Brum or Walsall

Delboy20
20-06-2012, 20:20
I have just been through the bags of beer mats, and there is a kellogs Cornflakes 750 g box overflowing with them so I don't know about posting them.

They date back years - some have 2004 dates on them, but they have been picked up in whatever pubs we have been in so not all in good nick. Lots of defunct breweries.

Feel it would be better to bring them into Birmingham rather than try to post them, I would prefer to hand them over. I can be in a pub in Birmingham with them up to around 7pm Monday or Tuesday this week, going to Egham fest for a few days Wednesday, or Monday or Tuesday next week as I'll be off to go to Peterborough fest on the Wednesday followed by Newark for a few days. We don't stay out late in town.

Gill

A big thanks to you Gill for the box of mats. A big thanks to Andy as well for being much more organised than myself !

:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

Just had a look through and there are some obscure breweries in there - well ones i hadn't heard of anyway.

In case you didn't know there were 424 mats in that cornflake box.

Thanks again. :cheers::cheers:

Andy Ven
21-06-2012, 20:58
In case you didn't know there were 424 mats in that cornflake box.

I didn't know that. If I was taking part in a guess how many beermats are in this cornflake box competition (a bit like guess the weight of the cake but with a cornflake box and beermats) I would have said closer to 200. It surprises me although I was able to add an office collection of beermats to Gill's donation. Hope you've got room for them all !

hondo
11-07-2012, 13:50
:twigs:"Black Spruce trees":twigs:
http://www.psfk.com/2012/07/plantable-beer-coasters.html

hondo
30-08-2012, 10:26
http://www.morningadvertiser.co.uk/General-News/PMA-Investigation-The-truth-behind-Innsatiable-an-unlicensed-bar-in-Farnham-Surrey

Andy Ven
30-08-2012, 16:18
http://www.morningadvertiser.co.uk/General-News/PMA-Investigation-The-truth-behind-Innsatiable-an-unlicensed-bar-in-Farnham-Surrey

A summary of the story behind Hondo's link:

It’s about a furniture shop, in Surrey, called ‘Innsatiable’. They are giving away free alcoholic drinks to customers but ask customers to buy furniture or a beermat to support the business. Since opening in July they have sold around 12,000 beermats but also some furniture items as well. Because they are not selling alcohol they do not have or need a licence, which makes it difficult for the police to stop them from serving alcohol. If you want to buy some furniture (or a beermat) late at night they are open until 11.45

I wonder whether it will last.

I also wonder whether Delboy will buy me and Gill 400 pints in exchange for all of those beer mats ;)

aleandhearty
10-10-2012, 16:01
Hi Delboy

I have posted off another batch today. Should be there by the weekend.

Delboy20
13-10-2012, 17:47
Hi Delboy

I have posted off another batch today. Should be there by the weekend.

Cheers mate - got em

Delboy20
17-05-2015, 14:10
Hi all,

Had to search to find this thread ....

Many thanks to PSM for the package of mats that appeared this week !!

Totally out of the blue and much appreciated. I got home from work and it was on the table. The best part was my other halfs face as she rolled her eyes and said " it feels like a pile of beermats !"
I could almost see pity in her expression !!

Cheers,

Del.

Delboy20
24-08-2016, 22:11
Thanks to PSM for the latest batch .. much appreciated !

Delboy20
02-04-2018, 19:38
Hi all,
I hope no-one minds me bumping this thread but we have a few different users these days. I am still collecting mats much to Mrs Delboys disgust. If anybody feels inclined to gather some on their travels it would be appreciated.
The last time I posted this message quite a few of you obliged - many thanks for that!
Just remember the more you send me the angrier she will get !!
Cheers,
Del

Pubsignman
02-04-2018, 19:42
Hi Del - I've got a load sat here that I keep meaning to send your way. I'll try and get them over to you at some point this week. :cheers:

Delboy20
02-04-2018, 19:49
Many thanks - I will look forward to them!

Delboy20
12-05-2018, 21:09
Shameless bump !!!!!

Delboy20
09-06-2018, 08:01
Hi Del - I've got a load sat here that I keep meaning to send your way. I'll try and get them over to you at some point this week. :cheers:

Thanks for the latest batch PSM.

Keep up the good work!

hondo
05-09-2019, 11:54
"national differences regarding the preferred shape"
https://www.lifepr.de/pressemitteilung/onlineprinters-gmbh-diedruckereide/Round-or-square-European-barkeepers-divided-over-shape-of-beermats/boxid/765873

Aqualung
07-09-2019, 22:19
"national differences regarding the preferred shape"
https://www.lifepr.de/pressemitteilung/onlineprinters-gmbh-diedruckereide/Round-or-square-European-barkeepers-divided-over-shape-of-beermats/boxid/765873

This isn't a subject I'm likely to start foaming at the mouth about! Surely the "square" ones have rounded edges so are not even square.
Didn't Ind Coope Burton Ale do some large oval ones or is that a memory management violation?

oldboots
08-09-2019, 09:54
This isn't a subject I'm likely to start foaming at the mouth about! Surely the "square" ones have rounded edges so are not even square.
Didn't Ind Coope Burton Ale do some large oval ones or is that a memory management violation?

Oval with "ears" at the corners, two sets of them were produced around 1980.