PDA

View Full Version : Last Out, First In

trainman
01-01-2011, 08:04
What beers (or other drinks) did you all finish 2010 with, and which will/did you start (or aim to start) 2011 with? I understand that replies may be more accurate later on.

I had NO beer (!!) yesterday and stayed in with some very average wine, finishing with a glass of Dow's Midnight Port (cheap but most acceptable) just before midnight.

My first of 2011 will be the last remaining bottle from my Wye Valley Christmas case - Dorothy Goodbody's Golden Ale, I'd say around 11:30. Others in the case were DG's Wholesome Stout, Butty Bach, and some rather underwhelming (considering its reputation) HPA.

Happy New Year, & happy supping.

Delboy20
01-01-2011, 09:16
I had quite a mixture yesterday. I popped in the local spoons while I fetched a chinese and had a pint of Carling ( I like it !! ) and a pint of Exmoor Gold. I had a few glasses of wine with my meal before I hit the bottles. I had Budweiser, Hobgoblin and Dragonfire. I finished the night with a very large Gin and Tonic whilst cursing all the bloody fireworks...:moremad:

I haven't thought about a drink today yet but I will let you all know later !!:cheers:

RogerB
01-01-2011, 09:19
I started the night in the Royal Standard on the Kidbrook/Blackheath borders where I had am excellent pint of Weltons Santa's Gone Ginger before heading off to the British Oak a few hundred yards down the road. I reckon I had about 7 or 8 pints of Hogs Back T.E.A. before the barrel ran out just after midnight after which I had a couple of pints of Courage Directors.

First beers of the year? Well I'm off to WHL for the Fulham game but probably won't get any beers unless Mrs B has her happy hat on (which I doubt). I may pop out tonight to see what the locals have for grabs which will probably mean a run of reversed clips as everything good was probably drunk dry last night.

oldboots
01-01-2011, 10:05
I finished last night with a bottle of La Divine from Belgium (9.5%) and technically started this year with it, however the first real pint of 2011 will probably be Acorn Blonde this afternoon if the pub's website is up to date.

Andy Ven
01-01-2011, 10:10
Finished the evening with a Hobson's Postman's Knock, porter. Bit smokey and coffee flavoured for my palate so I confess to not finishing the bottle.

I might have a Davenport's Fox's Nob later or Thwaites Very Nutty Black.

Farway
01-01-2011, 10:33
Oddly I finished with Crabbie's alcoholic ginger beer which I bought as a "novelty item" from Lidl to try it. I did actually quite like it & found it a refreshing drink in a shandy sort of way

Start the New year I think with 6X if that is what is on down my local, they normally only have one draught on and the Havant Started was on it's last legs mid week and I think next brew was due to be 6X, no doubt in 30 minutes I will find out

Gann
01-01-2011, 11:59
Had already transferred my purchased for the festivities Mini Barrel round our friends house for last nights NYE party, so it was Rebellion Brewery Stocking Filler all the way last night..
And like Roger I'll be taking my thick head up to WHL later this afternoon and the first official (not counting the ones after the bongs went last night) beer of 2011 will be whatever is on in the John Gilpin's Bell ('spoons) on the High Road..

ROBCamra
01-01-2011, 12:26
Well, my last pint of last night was Hawkshead Lakeland Gold in The Baum, but it was after 12.

The one just before 12 may well have been Beartown Polar Eclipse, but maybe not. :confused: I certainly had one of those last night though.

I declined the 7% Phoenix Humbug as I'd already had quite a few beers by then. :p

Wittenden
01-01-2011, 14:10
Last night at the father-in-law's-2 bottles of Old Speckled Hen, then red wine, including the organic monastrell that we brought, then the obligatory scotch and 'poo. Why can't I stick to beer like a proper Englishman?

Al 10000
01-01-2011, 14:42
Last night it was a drink of home brewed stout that was my last drink just after 12,my first drink today after going to work was a small bottle of Shepherd Neame 1698 strong ale and also an home brewed stout.

RogerB
01-01-2011, 17:21
And like Roger I'll be taking my thick head up to WHL later this afternoon and the first official (not counting the ones after the bongs went last night) beer of 2011 will be whatever is on in the John Gilpin's Bell ('spoons) on the High Road..

If I'd seen your post earlier I would have popped in! Did they still have the Redemption Hopspur on? Had a pint before the Newcastle game on Tuesday and it was superb.

ROBCamra
01-01-2011, 17:35
my first drink today was a small bottle of Shepherd Neame 1698 strong ale.

Breakfast bottle was it Al? :D

Millay
01-01-2011, 17:57
Last pint of 2010 was actually a Guinness, preceeded by three pints of Marstons Christmas Pudding Ale. Apart from that I left NYE to the amatuers. First pint of 2011 was a Daleside Porter.

gillhalfpint
01-01-2011, 18:06
Started the Bush Noel 12% before midnight and finished it after. Saving the other 2 bottles for another time.

First one out today was Falstaff Father Time 4.3%, one of 8 we had in the Wellington before having a couple in the Anchor and a couple in the Lamp Tavern. Lots of good ales about today.

Al 10000
01-01-2011, 18:08
Breakfast bottle was it Al? :D

I would have been nice Rob but i was going to work.

I quite like having a breakfast bottle but this makes me think you probably do the same.

:cheers::drinkup::cheers::drinkup::cheers::drinkup :

Oggwyn Trench
01-01-2011, 19:24
Last pint in 2010 was Black Country - Dudley Pale Ale on tuesday (Bulls Head , Wrockwardine Wood)
First pint in 2011 was Three Tuns - Stirling (Fighting Cocks ,Oakengates)

First Contender for Beer of the Year 2011 , Titanic - Chocolate , Vanilla Stout :notworthy: bloody gorgeous

Rex_Rattus
01-01-2011, 19:29
Very abstemious last night - a bottle of Hobgoblin sometime during the evening, and a large Drambuie followed by a large Benedictine around midnight. An uninspiring start to the New Year this afternoon - a half of Wandle in one pub, followed by a decent pint of Young's Winter Warmer in another. Getting stuck into a good bottle of red wine this evening though. Could be worse.

Quinno
01-01-2011, 19:49
Last pint in 2010 was a gassy and eggy bottle of Jennings Snecklifter
First pint in 2011 was Downton Ruby Porter at the Nags Head earlier on this afternoon.

:D

Gann
01-01-2011, 23:00
Did they still have the Redemption Hopspur on? Had a pint before the Newcastle game on Tuesday and it was superb.

Yep , and the Urban Dusk as well. Stuck to the latter as I quite like the heavy malty taste. Was preety good and , as it turned out, a lot more exciting than that first half..

arwkrite
02-01-2011, 04:13
Finished a pint of Otter Brite at about 8pm and went home too a glass of red wine at midnight. This was regretted at 3am when I woke up with heartburn.
First pint was Wye Valley Bitter at about 2pm. Strange walking around the town on a Saturday and finding it deserted of people and cars.One Licencee had a bit of trouble and was assaulted and the Police were very much in evidence.

RogerB
02-01-2011, 08:54
Yep , and the Urban Dusk as well. Stuck to the latter as I quite like the heavy malty taste. Was preety good and , as it turned out, a lot more exciting than that first half..

The Urban Dusk was the only Redemption beer I had found until recently. Have also had the Fellowship Porter in the Gilpins Bell which was also rather good. They are turning out to be quite a decent brewery and I always jump at their beers when I see them.

It was an ugly win but it's max points over Xmas/New Year and I haven't been able to say that for a few years. Are you going to the Charlton game? I will be attendng the game "unshackled" so will certainly be having a couple of pints beforehand.

ROBCamra
02-01-2011, 09:01
Well, my last pint of last night was Hawkshead Lakeland Gold in The Baum, but it was after 12.

The one just before 12 may well have been Beartown Polar Eclipse, but maybe not. :confused: I certainly had one of those last night though.

I declined the 7% Phoenix Humbug as I'd already had quite a few beers by then. :p

First pint of 2011 (and the second and the third) was the rather excellent Rocket Fuel from Blindmans brewery, tried in the almost deserted Baum.

trainman
02-01-2011, 10:31
Are you going to the Charlton game? I will be attendng the game "unshackled" so will certainly be having a couple of pints beforehand.

Not good for drinking. Presuming the Anchor & Hope still doesn't serve real ale, the last couple of times I've been (admittedly a while back) I've stuck around London Bridge to drink then gone straight to the ground. Plumstead is on the same line and Old Mill (nb buses run up Griffin Rd) offers an option I've been meaning to go back to, but a bit of a schlep back to the Valley. Not sure how Rose's (Woolwich Arsenal) is doing now, but JB's recent comment here (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/24394/) seems to confirm my own impression that it could be much better with effort.

All that, and now I notice you're at home!!! D'oh!
Mind you, just as bad an area up there for drinking.

RogerB
02-01-2011, 10:51
All that, and now I notice you're at home!!! D'oh!
Mind you, just as bad an area up there for drinking.

As it happens I will be in the Anchor & Hope on Tuesday - Glen Tilbrook of Squeeze is doing another of his "secret" warm up gigs. They didn't have any Real Ales when I was last there around June/July and doubt anything has changed which is a shame 'cos it's not a bad little pub. I was in Rose's a few days ago - has had a bit of a facelift since my last visit. Only 3 ales on although the time between Xmas & New Year may have seen stocks get a bit depleted. Still the best in Woolwich (not hard). The Old Mill in Plumstead I don't get to as often as I should but they do have the occasional Beer Fest but finding out about isn't very easy. As for Tottenham, you're right - a shocking place for pubs!

Spinko
02-01-2011, 16:45
Finished 2010 and started 2011 with a Goose Island IPA from Chicago. Very nice and hoppy. CAMRA wouldn't like it.

Evil Gazebo
02-01-2011, 18:22
Finished 2010 and started 2011 with a Goose Island IPA from Chicago. Very nice and hoppy. CAMRA wouldn't like it.

I made that my BOTW a few weeks ago, and got a few bottles in for over Christmas - very, very good.

aleandhearty
02-01-2011, 19:59
Having managed a few in town this afternoon, the omens seem good. Last of the year was the excellent Revolutions Brewing Co 'Original 45 Porter' and the first of the year was the delicious Salamander 'Plum Bum'.

RogerB
02-01-2011, 22:32
First non-New Year's Eve pint today was a Titanic Stout and very good it was too.

Strongers
02-01-2011, 23:59
23:55 polished off a pint of Guinness and 00:00 had a sip of nasty heartburn inducing sparkling plonk and 00:02 attacked another pint of Guinness.

Pubsignman
03-01-2011, 23:21
I spent the New Year in a cottage on a farm somewhere in Somerset with just a polypin of Skinner's Betty Stogs to keep me going - so that turned out to be the last drink of last year and the first drink of this one.

The first different drink was a bottle of Oakham JHB when I got home this afternoon.

Not a bad start to the year...