PDA

View Full Version : Closed pubs project

ETA
29-12-2010, 08:18
http://www.closedpubs.co.uk/index.html

Has anyone else seen this? It could be useful as a source of historical information, and wonder if there's scope for interaction with PuG?

Some of their info is a bit out of date, but some cross-referencing might be ok.

RogerB
29-12-2010, 08:53
I have brought this web site up before on a few occasions - it was added to the Pubs Galore Pub Link page some time ago. If you look at the Dartford page on the site you will see that I have been quite active and added several pubs, some of which have been closed for over a hundred years but still exist as shops or offices. Given the number of closed pubs in existance they have an awful lot of work to do but it is actually quite interesting to spot old pubs and then try to find out something about them via local history books, websites etc.

Soup Dragon
29-12-2010, 09:21
it is a good site, although some on there have re-opened!

RogerB
29-12-2010, 09:23
Just had a look at the Dartford page and noticed one has reopened + there are a few errors in his annotations on some pubs so I have sent him an e-mail to a) update the page and b) suggest he pops on our Forum to say hi and maybe generate a bit of business for himself!

Crossste
29-12-2010, 11:05
My first pub was the Imperial in Blackburn so i was drawn to the Blackburn page on the site for a bit of a walk down memory lane. It is now 20 years since we left the Imp and i knew it was no longer a pub but i was surprised at how many of the "quality pubs" had gone. Pubs that i once aspired to running.

Sign of the times i suppose.

Farway
29-12-2010, 13:23
I have also e-mailed him ref Warnford marked closed but is open, also mentioned PuG so maybe he will join us now two mails

Al 10000
29-12-2010, 15:14
I have had a look at this site over a year ago and i found there were too many mistakes on the site for me to trust what was on the site,i think there intentions are good but they are using some very duff imformation which makes the site unusable for me.

lostpubsproject
29-12-2010, 16:44
Hi everyone

Just a quick post to thank those people who pointed me at this forum.

As regards the comments re. site errors - guilty as charged I'm afraid. The main issue is with keeping entries up to date. I'm particularly conscious of the fact that I'm quite often not aware that a pub has reopened. As such when I am informed of pub re-openings I try to update that entry ASAP; a new publican doing a Google search on his pub name doesn't want to see it flagged as closed.

Thanks for all the Q.A. comments though - it's not just notification of pub closures, past or present, that I like to receive.

Al 10000
29-12-2010, 17:00
Hi Lostpubsproject,

If you let me know how to use your site i would be happy to let you know about the mistakes that i noticed these were on the Nottingham list,there are also many more pubs in that area that are not listed has closed yet.

:cheers: Alan.

lostpubsproject
29-12-2010, 17:10
Hi Alan

Just click on the 'submit' button and email me the details of the errors. I will then update the site. Unfortunately I don't have the database skills to allow users to make their own changes.

Thanks

Glenn

Rex_Rattus
29-12-2010, 17:40
Good to have you aboard Glenn. RogerB pointed me at your site a year or two ago, and I did make a couple of contributions. But there are no doubt other lost pubs that I can identify in London from my extensive memory of drinking in the Capital. I'll get cracking when I get some time, but there is a mine of information already on PubsGalore that you can tap into.

Al 10000
30-12-2010, 12:08
Hi Glenn,

I have tried to send you an email about the mistakes but as usuall i hav'nt got the faintest idea how to do this.

:moremad: Alan.

lostpubsproject
30-12-2010, 14:20
Hi Alan

Just click on the 'submit' link on the left hand side of any page of the website, or just click here:

submitclosedpubs@googlemail.com

Let me know if you have any more problems.

Glenn

Al 10000
30-12-2010, 14:39
Hi Glenn,

I got that far but i dont know what to put in the boxes to the right i put my email address in but it then said this was an invalid user name i also dont know what to put in the box below that.

As most users on this forum now know i am a technophobe and i it usually takes me a few attempts to get to do what i want to do.

:confused: Alan.

lostpubsproject
30-12-2010, 15:44
OK, I think we need to go back to basics.

If I assume that you know how to send emails, can you send an email to this address: submitclosedpubs@googlemail.com

Just type anything in the header box and put the details of your corrections in the main detail of the email. I'll do the rest.

(Tell me if I'm being too patronising here).

Glenn

Al 10000
30-12-2010, 16:17
Hi Glenn,

I have sent you an email with a few corrections the next problem will be trying to put photos on your site.

Conrad
30-12-2010, 16:47
Hi everyone

Just a quick post to thank those people who pointed me at this forum.

As regards the comments re. site errors - guilty as charged I'm afraid. The main issue is with keeping entries up to date. I'm particularly conscious of the fact that I'm quite often not aware that a pub has reopened. As such when I am informed of pub re-openings I try to update that entry ASAP; a new publican doing a Google search on his pub name doesn't want to see it flagged as closed.

Thanks for all the Q.A. comments though - it's not just notification of pub closures, past or present, that I like to receive.
Hi lostpubsproject,

Welcome to PuG, myself and Dave M are the admins of the forums and main site, so if you have any problems, questions or suggestions for improving the sites we would love to hear them.

Really nice to have you over here, I know a number of our members make heavy use of your site. Do feel free to let us know if you have any good ideas of how to mutually improve the sites.

Hope you enjoy your stay,

Conrad

lostpubsproject
30-12-2010, 19:51
Thanks Conrad - its good to be made so welcome.

Glenn

Strongers
03-01-2011, 00:28
I find closed pub history very interesting and I will add anything I can when I get the chance - I still have 50 odd reviews to add here, but it is nice to mix things up a little.