PDA

View Full Version : Your Favourite Winter Warmers.

aleandhearty
13-12-2010, 12:48
With the big freeze forecast to return on Thursday, winter warmers are coming into their own and I’ve certainly got my dark, strong beer head on at the moment.

For me, locally, there are two mainstream classics available in Black Sheep ‘Riggwelter’ and Theakston’s ‘Old Peculier’. Also, Jennings ‘Snecklifter’ from a little further away, over the Cumbrian border. I’m also on the lookout for Acorn ‘Gorlovka’, Elland ‘1872’ and Ossett ‘Treacle Stout’, but will try anything that looks promising!

What’s everybody else hoping to find / enjoying?

Al 10000
13-12-2010, 13:44
I always like to have a drink of Robinsons Old Tom barley wine its around the 8% mark and very drinkable on a cold winters day.

It is fairly hard to find on draught but is available in botles in most Robinsons pubs. :drinkup:

gillhalfpint
13-12-2010, 13:53
Having just come back from Bruges, we enjoyed some Christmas beers there. At 2 Be, we enjoyed Delirium Noel at 10% and Goulden Carolus Christmas at 10.5%. Bush Noel on tap at 12% was the winner at De Garre and on tap at Erasmus we enjoyed Malheur 12 at 12%.

Anyone going over there for Christmas, Erasmus is putting 12 Christmas beers on tap.

Back home, we are looking forward to a crawl round Gloucester tomorrow. Will see what's on offer in the way of Christmas beers here. Looking for bottled Youngs Christmas Pudding. Heavenly! Hook Norton 12 Days on draught goes down well too.

Bucking Fastard
13-12-2010, 14:16
Last December in the cold snap I really enjoyed Harvey's Christmas Ale which needs to be treated with due respect at 8.1% .The only outlet I am aware of in London is The Royal Oak ,Borough so I am tempted to make a pilgrimage down there during the remainder of the month.Harvey's Old Ale is also good ,and quaffable at 4.3% and useful to wash down the Christmas Ale.

Closer to home Mc Mullens used to offer Stronghart on draught as a seasonal ale ,7% and probably their best ale but I've got a feeling that it's only available in bottles and not carried at many of their tied houses.I will keep an eye out for it on a pub crawl in Hertford later this week.

Youngs Winter Warmer used to be good when brewed in Wandsworth,not tried the Bedford version but that's another possibility for us boozers down south.

Brakslover
13-12-2010, 14:24
Not generally a big fan of Youngs beers, but always enjoyed their Winter Warmer. Pleased to report that, in my view, it is still as good as ever.

Bucking Fastard
13-12-2010, 14:30
Not generally a big fan of Youngs beers, but always enjoyed their Winter Warmer. Pleased to report that, in my view, it is still as good as ever.

That's good news. I've just noticed that Pubsignman has rated it as his BOTW ,so with two thumbs up I will give it a go next time i'm in a Youngs house.

Farway
13-12-2010, 14:38
Not much on offer in this neck of the woods, mostly around here are Fuller's [ex Gales] and not noticed much new, when Gales was around it was of course the Winterbrew

RogerB
13-12-2010, 14:47
I'll echo the Youngs Winter Warmer sentiments. I'm not generally a Youngs or a Winter Beer person but always a decent pint when I've tried it. My BotW last week, Nelson Brewery Nelsons Blood is a very drinkable 6%er albeit not actually a seasonal pint but it has cropped up in a couple of local pubs in recent weeks and ticks several boxes.

Oggwyn Trench
13-12-2010, 17:46
On a freezing weekend in Chester a few weeks ago i found Lymestone , Stone the Crows (5.4%) did a decent job of keeping the chill out

Andy Ven
13-12-2010, 18:10
I tried a mighty fine Highgate Old Ale (5.35%) last week. It's one of the 300 Beers to Try Before You Die. (Currently available from the brewery door, bright, in 5 litre casks)

rpadam
13-12-2010, 19:34
Found a decent pint of Winter Warmer at the Bunch of Grapes near London Bridge this evening...

Wittenden
13-12-2010, 21:36
I've been researching the beer for our Boxing Day celebrations-Uncle George likes dark beer,father-in-law pale.Tryingto keep within Kent and Sussex,I had a happy few evenings sampling Blues from Rother Valley,Faithful Dogbolter from Gadds,Leviathan from Hopdaemon-a touch too sweet for me at 6%ABV-and my discovery of the week-Black Pig Imperial Russian Porter from the Wantsum Brewery over in East Kent. My first experience of this new brewery, a lovely dark ruby beer,which I think will grace our table, along with Old Dairy Blue Top IPA.Now,will I share my Dark Star Imperial Russian Stout? No, I don't think so!

Thuck Phat
14-12-2010, 07:52
The cold weather's certainly made me try a few more darker beers this year than usual. I've had 3 that stand out. In this order:
Elland Diablo, Chocolate Stout 5.5% is dark and rich as you'd expect but unlike many winter ales has a bitter finish which makes it bounce out of the glass rather than stop after two.
Springhead Spice of Life 5% is full of Christmas spices but again avoids being too sweet and cloying and is a joy to drink. Springhead are based in Newark I think so we get to see a few of their beers here in the East Midlands.
Art Tempest Stout at 4.5% isn't necessarily a winter beer but it did hit the spot on a chilly day.

aleandhearty
14-12-2010, 10:30
Having just come back from Bruges, we enjoyed some Christmas beers there. At 2 Be, we enjoyed Delirium Noel at 10% and Goulden Carolus Christmas at 10.5%. Bush Noel on tap at 12% was the winner at De Garre and on tap at Erasmus we enjoyed Malheur 12 at 12%.
Must admit I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to Belgian beers, I really need to expand my horizons. The trouble is when I see beers of that strength, I immediately think they must be too sweet or overly alcoholic and unbalanced.

Not had a pint of Young's Winter Warmer for years (Thatched House, Hammersmith?) but I seem to remember it being a nice drop.

Elland Diablo, Chocolate Stout 5.5% is dark and rich as you'd expect but unlike many winter ales has a bitter finish which makes it bounce out of the glass rather than stop after two.
Mmmm.Like the sound of that and as it's fairly local should come across it on my travels. According to the Elland website it is made with seven different types of malt.

ROBCamra
14-12-2010, 11:01
I’m also on the lookout for Acorn ‘Gorlovka’, Elland ‘1872’ and Ossett ‘Treacle Stout’, but will try anything that looks promising!

Just to annoy you a&h I've had all 3 of those in the last 2 weeks. :nishelypished:

aleandhearty
14-12-2010, 11:08
Just to annoy you a&h I've had all 3 of those in the last 2 weeks. :nishelypished:

:) You couldn't resist, could you? Well anyway, they only send the duff batches across to the 'dark side'.

runningdog
17-12-2010, 18:12
For me, locally, there are two mainstream classics available in Black Sheep ‘Riggwelter’ and Theakston’s ‘Old Peculier’. Also, Jennings ‘Snecklifter’
Three of my all time favourites. Down here it has to be bottled I'm afraid and the Riggwelter seems to have disappeard from the shelves..........:drinkup:

Now,will I share my Dark Star Imperial Russian Stout? No, I don't think so!
No more would I, old son. Not that it makes much no never mind, as I'm not likely to get a sniff of the pump-clip. let alone get drink some..........:drinkup::drinkup:

ROBCamra
18-12-2010, 10:18
Elland 1872 Porter AND Acorn Old Moor Porter on in the Regal Moon in Rochdale last night along with Springhead Roaring Meg. Nightmare. :):nishelypished:

Oggwyn Trench
18-12-2010, 10:37
Salopian Black Ops IRS (7.5%)on at the Station next week , and i am going to miss it:moremad:

aleandhearty
18-12-2010, 15:21

They had it on at The Grove, Leeds yesterday. Lovely stuff.

gillhalfpint
19-12-2010, 09:11
Green Jack Baltic Trader 10.5% went down very well yesterday at the Sheffield Tap before catching the train from snow free Sheffield to organised chaos snow bound Birmingham New Street. Very warming!

aleandhearty
22-12-2010, 13:30
Had some Fernandes Rum For Cover last night, which really hit the spot, on another bitterly cold evening. As the name suggests it's a rum flavoured stout, at a glow-inducing 6.5% ABV. Wasn't too sure the first time I tried it, but loved it on this occasion.

Maldenman
22-12-2010, 23:07
On the Young's theme they had a beer on tonight in The Victoria, Surbiton badged as Victoria Ale. On pressing the barman it seems this is a Young's Christmas beer, rebadged for wherever it pops up. It's 4.8% like Winter Warmer but sadly it went off after a taster was pulled so no real clue to what it's like but it certainly isn't WW rebadged as it is lighter in colour.

Thuck Phat
23-12-2010, 12:58
They had it on at The Grove, Leeds yesterday. Lovely stuff.

I'm glad it went down well. I've tried a few more in the Winter style this week but nothing has come close to the Diablo and sadly I now can't find it anywhere. One to enjoy while we can.

Alesonly
24-12-2010, 16:21
I find Fullers ESB is a good winter favorite of mine because its a nice strong pint and also Its easy too get around here. :D