PDA

View Full Version : Real ale prices????

Arthurish
06-12-2010, 15:02
Just a question, has there been an increase in real ale prices?
I'm asking because I visited the real ale & camra favourite pub Bree Louise.
I had a pint, can't remember the name apart from Suffolk, it was 4.0 but it cost £3.50 and a lot of their ales seemed to be the same price.
Has the VAT gone up already??
If it is going to cost that much, I will stay drinking Guinness for £3.30, which is 4.0.

Thanks

Arthurish

oldboots
06-12-2010, 15:18
Prices here seem to have been stable since the summer, my nearest good pub charged £2.60, £2.70 or £2.80 depending on strength back in August and still does. Some places in Harrogate and York are over £3 but that's the same as the summer as well.

Farway
06-12-2010, 15:38
No changes around here, still between £2.80 - £3.10 depending where I drink, not ABV dependent, but then I normally stick to HSB anyway

sheffield hatter
06-12-2010, 16:05
Just a question, has there been an increase in real ale prices?
I'm asking because I visited the real ale & camra favourite pub Bree Louise.
I had a pint, can't remember the name apart from Suffolk, it was 4.0 but it cost £3.50 and a lot of their ales seemed to be the same price.
Has the VAT gone up already??
If it is going to cost that much, I will stay drinking Guinness for £3.30, which is 4.0.

Thanks

Arthurish

At the Bree Louise there is a 50p per pint discount if you show a CAMRA membership card, which makes the beers look a lot cheaper.

Oggwyn Trench
06-12-2010, 16:56
No change round here £2ish for the permanant ales , and £2.30/£2.80 for the guests depending on strength

Millay
06-12-2010, 17:08
What I’ve found at the Bree Louise is that the real ale prices are loaded so that once the 50p CAMRA discount is taken off you are back with paying around £2.80 - £3.30, depending on strength, which is about par for the course around there. Although I am a CAMRA member and usually remember my card this practice does annoy me a bit. It means there is no real ‘discount’ and also penalises those who are not CAMRA members. It’s a bit like those horrible It’s A Scream pubs where you pay through the nose unless you have a student card to claim a discount.

By the way, if you want to see some real scary prices try the nearby Euston Tap that opened about a month ago.

trainman
07-12-2010, 00:01
Yes, I've found the standard £3.30 at Bree Louise a bit steep, especially as I find the quality far from perfect and the venue drab.
I read about your expensive selection at the Tap, Millay, but there still seems to be a £2.80 option available.
Otherwise Arthurish, no, although my wanderings have been limited, I've not noticed any obvious increases.

RogerB
07-12-2010, 10:16
Strangely enough I was thinking about the costs of a pint the other day and came to the conclusion that it is probably cheaper in real terms to drink in a pub now than 20 years ago. I remember everyone having heart attacks when the price of a pint started to hit the £2 mark, I think it would have been around the early 90's. Given that 20 years later we are now looking at £3/£3.50 in London for a pint, I don't think beer has increased as much as other life essentials like train fares, Mars Bars and football tickets. I don't have any figures to compare but it was just a thought. Also, I strongly believe that if it were not for our old pal Tim at Wetherspoons coming along and throwing cheaper prices into the market place, we would probably by now be looking at pints hitting £5 rather than middling between £3 and £4. As the man says, we've never had it so good.:whistle:

arwkrite
07-12-2010, 10:44
Wye Valley Ales £2.00 to £2.50
Lagers £3.00
Guinness £3.10.

It is only a small town so not a lot of competition between pubs. The prices, apart from a 5p rise on Guinness, have been stable for the last year. Coffee prices seem to be rising however.

Quinno
07-12-2010, 18:36
I remember everyone having heart attacks when the price of a pint started to hit the £2 mark, I think it would have been around the early 90's.

Aye mid 90's in Portishead, that was when I first started drinking. It coincided with the release of the £2 coin, which was immediately known as a 'beer token'.

Prices here vary wildly here in Berkshire, but in a decent non-chain pub it's about £3-£3.30. I think Roger makes a pertinent point about Mr Martin and his cheap beer. We have four Wetherspoons here in Reading and three of them are usually packed every evening, simply because of the £1.50-odd price differential (more if you have a CAMRA 50p off voucher). Over the course of a month, assuming a pint a day is quaffed, that's rather a large saving - £45!

Bree Louise - as others have mentioned, it's an expensive place if you are not a CAMRA member. And I've never found it much cop quality-wise if you have stuff from stillage (which is most of it).

Quinno
07-12-2010, 18:37
...and I suspect after Jan 1st (VAT hike), prices will go up by 20p across the board. Tim Martin might need to build some more pubs to take the extra custom this will generate.

Soup Dragon
08-12-2010, 15:15
I have switched to Veno's Cough Mixture, it's cheaper

Conrad - any chance of a Chemist Galore?

Strongers
08-12-2010, 22:07
Gaviscon is my tipple in my local Lloyds (that's chemist not No 1), bloody expensive but it's great stuff.

arwkrite
09-12-2010, 02:53
Try "Caaaavonaaaahhh", the housewives choice, for giving you a bit of a buzz.

NickDavies
09-12-2010, 11:50
Drowsy Benylin. Which is hard to come by, they tend to keep it under the counter at Boot's these days and you usually have to be interviewed by some halfwit (is it for you? blah blah) before they'll part with it. But a swig of that chased by a large whisky will put you to sleep no problem.

Soup Dragon
09-12-2010, 12:53
I tried the somewhat lighter and hoppy version - Veno's Tickley Cough Mixture, yesterday - but returned to the more darker MILD Chesty Cough version after a couple of spoonfuls.

Farway
09-12-2010, 13:21
Oooher, just bought some Meths from Wilkinsons, £3.68 for 500ml, think I will stick with HSB at £3 pint

PS, meths for cleaning bath rim prior to silicone sealant application, honest

arwkrite
09-12-2010, 15:51
I might try the silicone sealant in an attempt to cut down on the frequent trips I have to make to the Gents in this cold spell. :D

marquis
19-12-2010, 12:12
Prices seem to be edging up a little here though most landlords are reluctant to go to the £3 mark.Fuller's ESB at present £2.95 in my local.
I must be gatting old, it was 1s6d a pint (1s2d at University) when I began my slide down the slippery slope! That's 8p and 6p in today's money.When decimalisation began it was 12 1/2p a pint; my wife drank halves and the landlord always managed to remember to charge 6 1/2 p for the first and 6 p for the next thus charging the correct amount overall.
I remenber people refusing to pay 50p, then £1 because they were psychological barriers.
From memory it was 25p in 1980 (Home Ales, a local brew) and I first paid £1 in around 1987 , it was Ruddles County in an expensive Norfolk pub. Good news-went back to my local and had excellent Fuller's ESB at £2.85 a pint which is 10 p less than last time they had it in

Spinko
19-12-2010, 14:04
Leeds is generally between £2 and £3, with the average around £2.70. We have a couple of Sam Smiths so you can get away with £1.50 for something bland... Some places will go above £3 for 5%+ brews. And then of course there is North Bar where I've once paid £5 for a half a 10% American IPA import.

When I first started drinking in 1999 a pint of Kronenbourg in my local was just under £2 and John Smith's was £1.70 ish.

Quinno
19-12-2010, 14:40
Prices here vary wildly here in Berkshire, but in a decent non-chain pub it's about £3-£3.30.

A new Reading high recorded last week - £3.50 for Brakspear Oxford Gold at the Duke of Wellington, Twyford.

I am fully expecting to record a £4 pint of ale somewhere come this time next year.

Maldenman
19-12-2010, 16:28
Back in 1978....(I was 16...) Boddington's Bitter was 22.5p in the vault (public) and 23p in the lounge bar. Woe betide anyone caught by the landlord, known as the Toucan due to an abnormally large proboscis, sneaking through with the cheaper pint into the lounge.

http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/55147/

That's the old place, my first drinking den but it looks like it's gone a bit upmarket since.

Alesonly
19-12-2010, 16:46
A new Reading high recorded last week - £3.50 for Brakspear Oxford Gold at the Duke of Wellington, Twyford.

I am fully expecting too record a £4 pint of ale somewhere come this time next year.

Its £3.60 too £3.80 already in most Muswell Hill Boozers so with Vat Tax & Price rises Due in January I can see the £4.00 mark being past in early January. The problem is theres no competition around here theres No Wetherspoons or cheap Pubs around here. :moremad:

Oggwyn Trench
19-12-2010, 22:44
Due to a lack of buses because of the snow , i braved the nearest pub to home , the Duke of York , no real ale on only keg but £1 70 for a pint of Bankss Mild was good for the wallet

Quinno
20-12-2010, 09:33
Its £3.60 too £3.80 already in most Muswell Hill Boozers so with Vat Tax & Price rises Due in January I can see the £4.00 mark being past in early January. The problem is theres no competition around here theres No Wetherspoons or cheap Pubs around here. :moremad:

AO - may I point you to Tim's suggestions form, where you can suggest where they build a Wetherspoons if you know of a suitable vacant premises: http://www.jdwetherspoon.co.uk/home/discover-jdw/our-pubs/a-wetherspoon-near-you
(http://www.jdwetherspoon.co.uk/home/discover-jdw/our-pubs/a-wetherspoon-near-you)

Got to hand it to the guy, he knows how to get people to help JDW with their work :)

runningdog
20-12-2010, 12:38
Prices round here, for the proper stuff, are between £2.85 an £3.40, maybe 10p more in the remoter places. JDW, as ever the exception, are giving it away at £1.75 to £2.15.
I'm just off to find me car, I can see the igloo it's living under from the window. Me target is the filling station, JDW, and the pet shop for bird food. The little buggers are eatin me out of house and home. At least the dogs pay for 'emselves..........
:whistle::drinkup::drinkup::drinkup:
Talk to you later, me hopes..........:pray:

Conrad
20-12-2010, 15:09
Hi marquis,

Welcome to Pubs Galore. Myself and Dave M are the admins of this and the main site, if you have any problems, questions or suggestions please feel free to ask us.

Hope you enjoy your stay.

Al 10000
21-12-2010, 17:15
From memory it was 25p in 1980 (Home Ales, a local brew)

In my local the Home Ales bitter was 22p in 1980 and Kimberley was 18p a pint at the same time,by the time it got to August 1982 Home Ales bitter was 47p a pint in some pubs, Shipstones bitter was around the 50p mark and kimberley bitter was selling for an average of 46p.
I also marked down in my book on 6 August 1982 a pint of Whitbread Trophy cost 54p in a Bulwell pub this was an expensive drink at the time in a Nottingham suburb.

Farway
26-12-2010, 13:54
Shock horror, just returned from Boxing Day lunchtime few pints in my local, the Havant Started has gone from £2.80 to £3.00

Now whilst £3.00 is around the average price in this area a 20p hike seems excessive to me, but to be fair the £2.80 was cheapest real ale in the area, so something had to give, and on a personal note the extra 20p is worth it if the pub remains viable & open

Arthurish
31-12-2010, 19:17
Getting back to prices, I bought a pint of Royal London, which is Greene King, in a Greene king pub in London and the price was £3.50. it is only 4.0 strength. This is before any VAT increase, if it goes up after the VAT increase, I would have to either:
1: Ask for the price before I buy.
2: Pick the lowest strength ale on sale.
3: Look for another pub.
4: Stop drinking

It is going to be a tough decision.

Thanks Arthurish

arwkrite
02-01-2011, 05:24
Arthurish, you forgot number 5 which is...

Do I buy Petrol or Beer ?

The prices of which are becoming ridiculous. It is no good the Govt. of the day blaming the producers of both products when it is they who impose such heavy taxes on them. I think it is a conspiracy to stop us travelling around in search of cheap beer.

Arthurish
03-01-2011, 06:58
Arkwrite,

I didn't forget, I don't drive so no contest.
:)

RogerB
03-01-2011, 10:17
Noticed that my local 'Spoons are now charging more for ales over 5% - currently £2.10 for under and £2.25 for over (+ VAT increase to hit us from tomorrow). 3 months ago it was £1.90 across the board. :(

Quinno
03-01-2011, 10:53

I am fully expecting to record a £4 pint of ale somewhere come this time next year.

Brewdog Punk IPA was selling for £3.80 at the Hobgoblin in Reading a few days back but I'll let them off as it is 6%!

Maldenman
27-02-2011, 13:43
A three pint round ( two ESBs and a Chiswick) in The Wych Elm, Kingston last night came to a staggering £11.10. Thankfully it wasn't my round ;)

I reckon that's £3.80 for ESB and £3.50 for Chiswick.

Rex_Rattus
27-02-2011, 14:14
Is this a Fuller's thing I wonder? In The Blacksmiths Arms (a Fuller's pub) yesterday I got charged £3.90 for a pint of Fuller's Front Row, a relatively weak 3.7% ABV ale. In my review I use the same highly appropriate adjective as Maldenman

Farway
27-02-2011, 16:43
Is this a Fuller's thing I wonder? In The Blacksmiths Arms (a Fuller's pub) yesterday I got charged £3.90 for a pint of Fuller's Front Row, a relatively weak 3.7% ABV ale. In my review I use the same highly appropriate adjective as Maldenman

If it is I think it must be a London / Home counties thing, here in darkest Hampshire all still around the £3 mark in Fullers [ex Gales] pubs

Alesonly
27-02-2011, 16:56
I was charged £3.95 for a Pint of ESB in a Fullers Pub at Finchley a few weeks ago its probably gone up again by now too over four quid. :(

Maldenman
27-02-2011, 17:08
Is this a Fuller's thing I wonder?

I think it probably is, we did seven pubs yesterday in Teddington and Kingston and the general round for three was just under a tenner, only creeping slightly over once in The Park Tavern, Kingston but then we were all on premium 5.2% Everards Original (£10.20 ie £3.40). ESB granted is a higher strength beer but it isn't silly strength, and Chiswick is a low gravity pint.

oldboots
27-02-2011, 17:19
£2.10 to £2.20 in Leeds yesterday for cooking bitter . :D

The most I paid (apart from that bloody awful Brew Dog stuff at £2 a half) was £2.95 in Nicholson's Victoria Hotel and that was for Thwaites MILD:notworthy:.

Maldenman
27-02-2011, 17:48
The thing is that the local pubco pub here has Fuller's London Pride on all the time for under £3, so why are their tied pubs significantly more expensive?

Soup Dragon
28-02-2011, 18:41
Holden's MILD - at White House, Hockley £1.80.... at the Lamp, Bloxwich, £2.05.... as a guest at Chambers, Stafford, £2.80

There is a point to this post, somewhere.

NickDavies
28-02-2011, 19:11
Is this a Fuller's thing I wonder?

I wonder too. My local - Barracuda - pubco pub has Pride streets ahead of the pack at £3.20. Youngs ordinary is £2.40 and along with a couple of the usual suspects at less than three quid there are two entirely presentable Westerham beers on at £2.80; there's no contest really.

But why? I can think off the top of my head of four reasons:

1: The product is so popular they can charge what they like.
2: They are using prices to ration demand due to production problems or sheer lack of capacity.
3: They are using premium pricing as a marketing strategy.
4: The company is on the rocks and this is a last gasp attempt to increase cash flow.

Any more?

Alesonly
28-02-2011, 19:33
The strange thing is even when the local Wetherspoons Had London Pride and ESB on a few weeks ago it was £2.90 & £3.20 where all other guest beers were only £2.15 under 5% ABV & £2.30 over 5% ABV.

Eddie86
01-03-2011, 00:57
Fuller's don't do discounts. Having had a look at getting London Pride in (one of my dad's favourites) I'd be looking to charge around £3.50. Butty Bach or Pedigree is £3.10

NickDavies
01-03-2011, 15:13
Fuller's don't do discounts. Having had a look at getting London Pride in (one of my dad's favourites) I'd be looking to charge around £3.50. Butty Bach or Pedigree is £3.10

I guess that goes with my theory #1 - they don't need to do cheap. Make you wonder though, in 'community locals' in the south east Pride is often the token real ale amongst a forest of keg fonts, often in poor shape and often priced at a level to match top end lagers like 1664 or wifebeater. Yet lots of people must still buy it.

Brewguru
01-03-2011, 15:20
I do remember chatting to a landlord based near Yeovil and he told me that Fullers charged an extra £20-30 a firkin more than local micros and other regional breweries. This would tie in with a 40 - 50 p a pint surcharge. No wonder you don't get much of it around here.

Rex_Rattus
01-03-2011, 17:29
Yet lots of people must still buy it.

Yes they must, and I'm one of them. But not usually by choice. I can't tell you how many times I've gone into a pub and Pride has been the only ale on, or perhaps only a choice of GKIPA or Pride. In my local the choice has been Pride or OSH for some while, and I do prefer Pride to anything produced by GK. But my local only charges £2.86 for the Pride, which is a good price by London standards. But I still don't understand why some pubs stock Pride when they have to pay premium rates, when it seems that there better value options available.

Conrad
01-03-2011, 17:49
But I still don't understand why some pubs stock Pride when they have to pay premium rates, when it seems that there better value options available.
If it is a brand in the area then people will buy it where they might not buy another. Also presumably their payment per pint will be higher as they will act on a margin, so why not stick with it.

If they are selling the full barrel I think the better question is why they don't run another pump with a better value local option :).

Eddie86
01-03-2011, 19:14
If it is a brand in the area then people will buy it where they might not buy another. Also presumably their payment per pint will be higher as they will act on a margin, so why not stick with it.

If they are selling the full barrel I think the better question is why they don't run another pump with a better value local option :).

That's the obvious choice. I'd love to have one firk as a guest ale, but it's never going to happen unless one of the local independent wholesalers does what he does quite often. If a beer comes up on 'buy 9 firks get 1 free' he'll do the offer and average the price out across the 10 firks. This has often helped me get a beer that would otherwise be too expensive. There's a lot to be said for buying clubs

Conrad
01-03-2011, 19:24
There's a lot to be said for buying clubs
Totally off topic, but does this sort of thing go on? Also is this the sort of thing that could be a direct trade benefit when the Society of Licensees gets rolling?

Alesonly
28-03-2011, 00:11
Ive just been in a Pub at Muswell Hill and I was charged £4.10.for a pint :eek: of Luke warm Ale at just 4.2% that was undrinkable pi55. :sick:
Now I say bring on the Wetherspoons if it makes Pubs like this sit up and listen or die it serves them right the only reason these Pubs are getting away with this extortion is because theres absolutely no competition around here.. :moremad:

Spinko
28-03-2011, 07:43
Ive just been in a Pub at Muswell Hill and I was charged £4.10.for a pint :eek: of Luke warm Ale at just 4.2% that was undrinkable pi55. :sick:
Now I say bring on the Wetherspoons if it makes Pubs like this sit up and listen or die it serves them right the only reason these Pubs are getting away with this extortion is because theres absolutely no competition around here.. :moremad:

But it's the extra tax don't you know!

NickDavies
28-03-2011, 12:33
This is interesting

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2011/mar/27/inflation-price-rises# - click on the graphic

Things on average have just over tripled in price over 30 years - but beer is 5 times the price. And Grauniads.

Sitting in the pub with a pint and a paper is one of those simple pleasures that is rapidly pricing itself out of the market for many. No wonder circulations are falling and pubs closing.

Paris_Hilton
28-03-2011, 14:03
This is interesting

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2011/mar/27/inflation-price-rises# - click on the graphic

Things on average have just over tripled in price over 30 years - but beer is 5 times the price. And Grauniads.

Sitting in the pub with a pint and a paper is one of those simple pleasures that is rapidly pricing itself out of the market for many. No wonder circulations are falling and pubs closing.

Interesting also is the price of the Guardian. The 2011 price based on inflation only is 56p, yet the actual 2011 price is £1. The percentage increase over and above inflation of the newspaper is more than that of the pint of lager.

Sitting in a pub with a pint and a paper? Guess I'll have to give up the expensive paper and look out of the window instead.

Farway
28-03-2011, 14:29
Sitting in a pub with a pint and a paper? Guess I'll have to give up the expensive paper and look out of the window instead.

Or find pub with free papers? Some do around here, never seen Guardian among them though, Times yes, and of course the Mail for the Saloon Bar warriors

Paris_Hilton
28-03-2011, 14:39
Or find pub with free papers? Some do around here, never seen Guardian among them though, Times yes, and of course the Mail for the Saloon Bar warriors

Better still a pub with free beer.

Evil Gazebo
28-03-2011, 14:50
Of course, any enjoyment from reading The Guardian can be had, entirely for free, via the internet - something which the beer industry has thus far spectacularly failed to achieve.

Spinko
28-03-2011, 20:19
This is interesting

Circulations are falling IMO due to "churnalism" - press release regurgitation, with no real journalism going on. The best journalism these days is available on free blogs. The best way to find out what is really happening is through the voluntary meeting of experts on single issue bulletin boards.

As for pubs closing, the vast majority are those that haven't moved with the times.

So for me if circulation of papers is falling and pubs are closing that is good news, as we have less meaningless information to trawl through, and we know the pubs that are left are of a higher standard.

pintplease
29-03-2011, 03:36
In the 1980ies Thatcher declared that Breweries should no longer be allowed to own large numbers of pubs, because she said they had a monopoly. The monopoly of course just changed hands from the breweries into the hands of large pub companies.

In my area Tetleys owned most of the pubs and they used to set the price of a pint in the "tap room" it was the same price in all their pubs in the area, the lounge/best room was usually 2 or 3 pence more. You could go in any Tetley house knowing the price of a pint of mild or bitter before you walked in.

Following Thatchers interference, the price self regulation set by Tetleys disappeared along with their ownership, opening the doors to a "free for all" The tap rooms became a very rare sight, many were removed when pubs were refurbished and were not included in new builds. Pubs now charge whatever they can get away with which is an amount that mugs sorry customers are prepared to pay. I am sure this situation must have been repeated throughout the country when other breweries lost out on pub ownership.
We now have a situation in Leeds where the price of a pint from pub to pub can vary by as much as £1.50plus. I used to enjoy roaming round different pubs but not anymore.
I tend to stick to the ones where I know the prices are affordable and don't risk going in the others, I simply cant afford it ! I think drinkers should be a lot more choosy about which pubs they use. Currently I never pay above £2.15 per pint.

Spinko
29-03-2011, 07:45
In the 1980ies Thatcher declared that Breweries should no longer be allowed to own large numbers of pubs, because she said they had a monopoly. The monopoly of course just changed hands from the breweries into the hands of large pub companies.

In my area Tetleys owned most of the pubs and they used to set the price of a pint in the "tap room" it was the same price in all their pubs in the area, the lounge/best room was usually 2 or 3 pence more. You could go in any Tetley house knowing the price of a pint of mild or bitter before you walked in.

Following Thatchers interference, the price self regulation set by Tetleys disappeared along with their ownership, opening the doors to a "free for all" The tap rooms became a very rare sight, many were removed when pubs were refurbished and were not included in new builds. Pubs now charge whatever they can get away with which is an amount that mugs sorry customers are prepared to pay. I am sure this situation must have been repeated throughout the country when other breweries lost out on pub ownership.
We now have a situation in Leeds where the price of a pint from pub to pub can vary by as much as £1.50plus. I used to enjoy roaming round different pubs but not anymore.
I tend to stick to the ones where I know the prices are affordable and don't risk going in the others, I simply cant afford it ! I think drinkers should be a lot more choosy about which pubs they use. Currently I never pay above £2.15 per pint.

I didn't start my legal drinking career until last decade, just as the split pricing in pubs was being phased out. I remember a Kronenbourg being £1.98 "one side of the bar" and £2.0x the other side.

I don't think there is anything wrong with pubs "charging what they can get away with" so long as the price is signalled in advance. OK, a little sign on the wall is all they are legally obliged to do, but how about prices above handpumps, like Wetherspoons?

There's a few places I like in Leeds which have very good atmospheres precisely because they charge a lot (keeping out the chavs) and offer premium products - where else but North Bar can you get Sierra Nevada Torpedo IPA on tap, that was around £2.40 a half last Friday I recall. At 7.2% you're not missing out too much on bang for your buck and it's a slower drink than a pint anyway in order to enjoy it.

(And there are some places in Leeds which have crap atmospheres because they charge a lot!)

For a bog standard bitter (or boring brown beer like Tetley's :D ) I'd begrudge paying over £2.15 as well.

Farway
29-03-2011, 17:53
'tis a different world oop North, £2.40 a pint, I wish, last time [except for 'spoons] I saw a 2.40 pint was over 5 years ago, if I find one under just £3 I think I am lucky

Comes down to what market will bear as mentioned earlier

oldboots
30-03-2011, 10:31
'tis a different world oop North, £2.40 a pint, I wish, last time [except for 'spoons] I saw a 2.40 pint was over 5 years ago, if I find one under just £3 I think I am lucky

Comes down to what market will bear as mentioned earlier

The last time I was in Leeds (end of February) I paid;

£2.10 for Tetleys Cask
£2.10 at the Fox & Newt for Burley St Brickyard 3.7% (very short measure though)
£2.20 for Dark Star 4% in Foleys
£2.76 for Mallinsons 4% in Veritas
£2.95 for Thwaites Nutty Black 3.3% in the Victoria :eek:

I was also charged £2.90 for some Sarsons pretending to be Leeds Pale :moremad:

Average prices in North Yorkshire are around the 2.70 -2.90 mark so Leeds is worth a bus ride if you choose your pub carefully.

RogerB
30-03-2011, 12:47
Just come back from the Isle of Wight where very few ales were under £3. The Yates YSD at the Ship & Castle in Esat Cowes was a massive £3.60. Ouch (it was about 5.5% but even so). I bought a bottle of Garlic Ale from the Garlic Farm (well you just have to) which was £3.50. The comments on ratebeer suggest that it is disgusting stuff so not keen on trying it but you only live once. :pray:

Farway
30-03-2011, 14:13
Just come back from the Isle of Wight where very few ales were under £3. The Yates YSD at the Ship & Castle in Esat Cowes was a massive £3.60. Ouch (it was about 5.5% but even so).

OH that's a bummer, I have long weekend booked over IOW later in the year, maybe I can get some Duty Frees in before the ferry sails ;)

arwkrite
30-03-2011, 14:18
There was a mutiny at one of my local pubs when the landlord upped the price of the drinks after a refurb. We could have, and still could , drink cheaper elsewhere. After we loudly complained the new price dropped by 15 pence during our happy hour and 10p at other times.. There was a real case for voting with our feet.

RogerB
30-03-2011, 15:31
I have long weekend booked over IOW later in the year,

I did about 20 pubs around the island. I have just finished posting the photos (over 100) so hopefully I can get the reviews written up before you go. I have to say the Isle Of Wight beers (Goddards, Island and Yates) were pretty impressive.

Farway
30-03-2011, 16:49
I did about 20 pubs around the island. I have just finished posting the photos (over 100) so hopefully I can get the reviews written up before you go. I have to say the Isle Of Wight beers (Goddards, Island and Yates) were pretty impressive.

Yep I used to get Goddards in the Invincible just off the Hard in Portsmouth, but since it changed hands no idea if it still sells it

Farway
01-04-2011, 17:38
Gahhh, yesterday I paid £3.90 for Hopping Hare near Newbury, but it was gastro pub, and a very nice place, so I guess all things being equal it was worth it to keep it open for my quarterly visits

Oggwyn Trench
01-04-2011, 20:49
After the last round of price rises i am now paying around £2.20 for house beer(Salopian Gold/Hobsons Best) , the guests depend on strenth £2.30 for 4.1% up to £2.90 for the 5/6% , only the real loopy stuff is over £3 .

ROBCamra
12-05-2011, 13:57
Roger, have you just won the award for most expensive pint or did you visit in 2034 or is 32.95 a typo? :p

http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/23788/

Quinno
12-05-2011, 14:31
LOL just jumped on board that Soton Arms review as I had to update mine. Was in there before heading off to a gig at Koko on Tuesday and it really was quite fab on the beer and meat front.

RogerB
12-05-2011, 14:41
[QUOTE=ROBCamra;32240]Roger, have you just won the award for most expensive pint or did you visit in 2034 or is 32.95 a typo?

Just a bit of chewing gum stuck in the keyboard.