PDA

View Full Version : Loony pubco marketing nonsense

NickDavies
05-12-2010, 10:39
Vintage Inns now do "Beer of the Day Battered Fish and Chips" and there's a blackboard to announce what the beer of the day in the batter is. I can only imagine that this must make a difference to someone somewhere and I suppose it does gull people into thinking that they reconstitute the batter mix on the premises.

The Vintage Inn I was in yesterday (yes I know, but it was the first pub we went past with a navigable car park) proudly announced that the beer of the day batter was made from London Pride. But they didn't sell London Pride.....

Farway
05-12-2010, 12:00
Seems the beer batter craze has taken off, is there any food pub that these days does not have beer battered fish [as opposed to just bog standard batter]

When I do have pub grub I often go for the fish & chips offering, but I always assumed the beer used was dregs really. Can't say I could ever taste the difference in any of the beer batters I have had

Eddie86
05-12-2010, 13:30
I made a batter with brewdog 5am Saint. Even after cooking you can smell and taste the beer. Beautiful

Crossste
05-12-2010, 15:10
If you are the nominated driver at this time of year do you get the bog standard battered fish at a reduced rate?

NickDavies
05-12-2010, 15:22
I made a batter with brewdog 5am Saint. Even after cooking you can smell and taste the beer. Beautiful

Of course it does. But if it was battered and pre-cooked six months ago in a factory 150 miles away you'd be lucky to get it to taste of anything.

Eddie86
05-12-2010, 16:01
Of course it does. But if it was battered and pre-cooked six months ago in a factory 150 miles away you'd be lucky to get it to taste of anything.

I agree. I try to avoid things like that - so at JDW I'd never have a fish, or after the last steak (after 3 attempts at getting a 'rare' steak and not succeeding). Don't mind their burgers though - can't go wrong with the burger and pint. Their spag bol wasn't too bad either actually, just too small a portion for a chubby like me :D

Alesonly
05-12-2010, 16:21
Vintage Inns now do "Beer of the Day Battered Fish and Chips" and there's a blackboard to announce what the beer of the day in the batter is. I can only imagine that this must make a difference to someone somewhere and I suppose it does gull people into thinking that they reconstitute the batter mix on the premises.

The Vintage Inn I was in yesterday (yes I know, but it was the first pub we went past with a navigable car park) proudly announced that the beer of the day batter was made from London Pride. But they didn't sell London Pride.....

I suppose they picked it because they don't sell Pride. So as not too be accused of using the leftovers at the end of the barrel. :whistle:

aleandhearty
05-12-2010, 16:26
Surely, if you're using beer to 'batter' fish, it has to be Stella Artois? :)

RogerB
05-12-2010, 17:00
Oh dear! The fish jokes are starting to flounder already.:whistle:

Crossste
05-12-2010, 19:26
Oh dear! The fish jokes are starting to flounder already.:whistle:

My side are starting to Hake after laughing at that.

Oggwyn Trench
05-12-2010, 19:33
My side are starting to Hake after laughing at that.

Stop Carping on

Quinno
05-12-2010, 19:43
Stop Carping on

I'll perch on the fence here and not get involved in this red herring.

arwkrite
05-12-2010, 20:06
Some years ago when visiting Tenby, Wales I visited a pub advertising beer battered fish. I was surprised when the chef came out mixing the batter in a white bowl and asked us what beer would we like in it. He pulled off the the beer into the bowl and disappeared back into the kitchen. An excellent meal, I just cannot remember the pub or the beer.
I like good fish and chips but they are so hard to find these days. My travelling fish man provides excellent large fillets of Cod. Not cheap but a friend does a great job of battering and frying something I am rubbish at.

aleandhearty
07-12-2010, 08:54
I'll perch on the fence here and not get involved in this red herring.

I might have contributed more to this thread haddock come upon these posts earlier.

RogerB
07-12-2010, 09:22
Has anyone ever tried the "vegetarian" fish & chips made from Halloumi cheese? Crops up on a lot of menus these days. :confused:

trainman
08-12-2010, 09:15
"vegetarian" fish & chips made from Halloumi cheese

Codswallop!

aleandhearty
08-12-2010, 10:12
Has anyone ever tried the "vegetarian" fish & chips made from Halloumi cheese?

Apparently, a Scottish crisp manufacturer has come up with a new halloumi and venison flavoured product. The provisional name for the new snack is 'Halloumi Deers'...... :)

I'll get me coat.

ETA
08-12-2010, 12:21
Apparently, a Scottish crisp manufacturer has come up with a new halloumi and venison flavoured product. The provisional name for the new snack is 'Halloumi Deers'...... :)

I'll get me coat.

*sits back and waits for a whole roe of deer-associated puns' being red into this - or is that field too fallow?*

arwkrite
08-12-2010, 20:00
I wonder why vegetarians want to eat something that tastes of animal flesh that they find so abhorrent ? I respect that they do not wish to eat bits of animals but why eat something that is not even remotely related to what it purports to copy.

Signed
" Baffled" of Herefordshire

General Staal
08-12-2010, 20:17
Good COD! I am STAGgered by all these fish and deer puns. Sometimes, after eating and drinking in some pubs, I confess to feeling like a BLOATER. But the quality of the ales and the menus never fail to REEL me in.

Whenever I get into a RUT, I head down to my nearest pub for a BITE and a pint. But I always go for one which won't cost me too much DOE!

Crossste
08-12-2010, 20:32
This forum is surely not the plaice for all this fish banter.

General Staal
08-12-2010, 20:35
You've got me HOOK, LINE and SINKER. Maybe you've slipped me a Mickey FIN. Anyway, my head is SWIMMING.

Strongers
08-12-2010, 20:46
*sits back and waits for a whole roe of deer-associated puns' being red into this - or is that field too fallow?*

Roe deer roe deer roe deer, this thread is angling towards the ridiculous and is breaming with nonsense!

ETA
09-12-2010, 10:26
Roe deer roe deer roe deer, this thread is angling towards the ridiculous and is breaming with nonsense!

You're right - let's sika way out of this.