PDA

View Full Version : PuG calling cards

Delboy20
28-11-2010, 19:41
I thought it might be worth having a thread so we can record where we have left some calling cards.

I did an early morning crawl in Brum yesterday. 9 o'clock start ( thank god for Wetherspoons :cheers:! ). Left some cards in The Figure of Eight, Soloman Cutler, Wetherspoons, Briar Rose and the Square Peg. Left some in The Vine in Blackheath and then the Moon in Cradley Heath.

Andy Ven
29-11-2010, 13:29
I was on tour on Friday so I left some in the Duke William in Stourbridge, the Fountain in Lower Gornal, the Beacon Hotel in Sedgley (shortlisted for CAMRA pub of the year according to the December issue of What's Brewing) and the Great Western in Wolverhampton. Usually I deposit them near to the CAMRA material but if anyone takes an interest in us as a group of pub crawlers I hand one to them.

Previously I left some in the Black Lion in Consall in Staffs and the Boat Inn in Cheddleton.

I also left a few by the CAMRA leaflets in the Wellington in Birmingham the week after the meet up.

Anywhere where there are beer tourists is good, especially people who have travelled from outside the area. Certain PG areas are well covered in terms of its regulars so I was aiming to encourage interest from a wider geographical area.

Del - We'll have to meet up sometime you're in Brum.

Conrad - I'm half way through my stock. Any chance you could issue an A4 pdf sheet of cards that I could print at home and guillotine?

ETA
29-11-2010, 13:54
What a good idea - I'd go for that too as I travel about a fair bit and would be delighted to spread the word.

In a different life, we (I won't say who "we" were) used to have zap cards - small self adhesive cards which we stuck on various places we had visited as a sort of calling card. They ended up in some very bizarre places, I must say. Or is that idea too 20th Century?

Rex_Rattus
29-11-2010, 16:56
Actually, I think sticking adhesive "cards" is getting a bit too close to vandalism, as they often seem to end up in the most inappropriate places.

gillhalfpint
29-11-2010, 17:32
We have left them in Nottingham at Vat and Fiddle, Newshouse, Canalhouse, Olde Trip, Hand and Heart, Gatehouse, Approach and Salutation.

In Sheffield at Harlequin, Riverside, Gardeners Rest, Hillsborough Hotel, Fat Cat, Kelham Island Tavern, and Wellington.

Dudley Full Moon and today at the Dick Turpin Ilford.

Doing Borough Market area of London plus others on Wednesday.

Conrad
29-11-2010, 18:27
Amazing work all.

Whilst I like the idea of stickers I agree that we might get a certain amount of swearing about us :)

Conrad - I'm half way through my stock. Any chance you could issue an A4 pdf sheet of cards that I could print at home and guillotine?
Since they are fairly cheap and reasonable quality we are quite happy to just send them out (this also covers up the fact that I have no idea how to make an A4 sheet ;))

ETA
29-11-2010, 19:14
Actually, I think sticking adhesive "cards" is getting a bit too close to vandalism, as they often seem to end up in the most inappropriate places.

You're probably right - after reflecting on it I thought it was probably a silly idea anyway - funny when in context but not everyone appreciates it.

ROBCamra
07-12-2010, 10:46
Our local CAMRA group are meeting at The Baum tonight. I'm not going to go to the meeting as usual, but I will be in The Baum.

I'll wear my PuG T-Shirt and spread a few cards around. You never know, it might get a couple onboard. :cheers:

RogerB
07-12-2010, 13:46
I have noticed a few pubs, particularly in the City, have a competition whereby you drop your business card into a pot and they make a random draw for various prizes. If I drop in a PuG card and win a meal for 2, how do I divide it up between the 50 or so of us?:confused:

Farway
07-12-2010, 15:07
I have noticed a few pubs, particularly in the City, have a competition whereby you drop your business card into a pot and they make a random draw for various prizes. If I drop in a PuG card and win a meal for 2, how do I divide it up between the 50 or so of us?:confused:

A five fingered spread? :sick:

Delboy20
08-12-2010, 08:43
I managed to spread the word a little more this week. Left cards in the Bull & Bladder - http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/38031/ - along with the Black Horse and the Corn Exchange on the Delph run.

gillhalfpint
11-12-2010, 15:55
Didn't make it to London pubs - came back home after the Pigs Ear fest as we didn't want to risk getting stuck in the snow with the caravan.

Left cards in Walters, Three John Scotts and Nellies in Hull as we had a few hours after train journey before the ferry to Zeebrugge - 3 great days in Bruges.