PDA

View Full Version : Red Lions tonight on Channel 4

Farway
15-10-2009, 11:11
Thought this programme may be of interest tonight on Channel 4 at 9pm

"To find out what pubs really mean to us, film-maker Sue Bourne takes a 3,000-mile pub crawl to some of Britain's Red Lions. Cutting Edge provides a timely snapshot of our drinking habits."

http://www.channel4.com/tv-listings

As it is Channel 4 it should be watchable and not aimed at the stupid who need reminding every 5 minutes what they have just seen

Soup Dragon
15-10-2009, 11:39
sadly, i intend to be in the pub, i hope there is a channel 4+1

Farway
15-10-2009, 13:36
sadly, i intend to be in the pub, i hope there is a channel 4+1

Certainly is

Some time back I splashed out on a PVR so I could avoid missing the very few programmes worth watching, and by good fortune it also means I can whizz through the adverts when I watch the recording

Luckily the PVR is a doddle to use with Freeview programme guide, unlike my scabby video recorder

arwkrite
15-10-2009, 15:32
Certainly some tabloid type TV programs have not done the image of pubs and drinkers much good. Watching young people, and those old enough to know, better smashed out of their tiny minds and causing all sort of trouble provide grist to the mill. Society seems to be polarising with those who dont drink looking down their noses at those of us who do.I am sure mixing drugs into the equation makes it worse.
Never have I had the desire to hit anyone when I have had one to many.Fall asleep in the corner and have one of my eyebrows removed well that used to happen enough.
Rarely do I see trouble in pubs and I dare say so it goes for most of you. In fact most of it seems to be woman trouble in one way or another.I still find pubs a pleasant way of meeting interesting people with perhaps a good story to tell

Eddie86
15-10-2009, 15:50
I must say I'm quite an advocate of Channel 4's On Demand service - if you use the Iplayer you'll know how it works. Very useful for those that are in the pub at 'peak' times, either side of the bar!

www.channel4.com/programmes/catch-up

Soup Dragon
15-10-2009, 15:59
its great to have some one young enough to know what all this technology is :D

arwkrite
15-10-2009, 16:23
My main problem is finding half crowns to fit the coin box on the back of my Radio Rentals Television.:D

Conrad
15-10-2009, 16:36
My mum used to try an pour cups of tea into that coin slot :eek:. Still that was back in the days when the TV was so big you used it as a tray rest.

Eddie86
15-10-2009, 17:21
I try to help, and this is where it gets me. I suppose you still have your children leaning out of windows with coat hangers plugged into the tele eh? Or was I just unlucky :eek:

Oggwyn Trench
15-10-2009, 19:37
Our first telly was steam powered ........ honest !!

arwkrite
15-10-2009, 20:12
We weren't rich enough to have coat hangars so we sent me baby brother upon the roof.I don't know why he moaned so much , he needed some fresh air after being up dirty chimneys all day .

Soup Dragon
15-10-2009, 21:43
Coat hangers, tele, chimneys - luxury

The only entertainment i had as a kid was looking at all the toys through the windows at Rackhams in Brum, then it was a 6 mile walk home, in bare feet - and i never complained

arwkrite
15-10-2009, 21:45
Back onto thread now. Started watching the program. A bunch of alcohol swilling tottey. Aim for the night is getting as drunk as possible while attempting to remain standing. Classic idiotic quote " we like to remain in control" of what was never enlarged on.Pints of lager and Guiness, measures of spirits all down in one. Silly girlies shrieks of amusement caused by god knows what.All the bad images of binge drinking:mad:

I see no difference in this and "Boozed Up Britain". An advert for drinking without respect for yourself,other people or what the future may bring.Filming drinkers of the quieter type is pretty crap TV. No one vomits up £50 worth of booze or starts a fight. The Police have no excuse to exhibit their dogs or show how six officers can wrestle one drunk to the ground. I daresay me and the mrs could comatose a whole film crew with no problem. Thats why you dont see progams about responsible drinking .

Anyway ,after ten minutes I switched over. I dont think I will bother in future.

signed ...Disapointed of North Herefordshire.

Dave M
15-10-2009, 22:17
I wasn't watching it too closely but did have it on in the background. It got a bit better but they couldn't resist following stories of quite heavy drinking.

Impressive interview with a landlord who alledgedly drinks 15 pints every days whilst working.

Also there was the rugby lad who was quite happy to admit that he has 3-4 pints six nights a week, but embarrassed that he binge drinks on a Saturday. :eek:

Obviously the producers of the show should've come on here to find some real stories. :D

Delboy20
15-10-2009, 22:28
I liked the 2 old ladies that drink together all week-

Tuesday - Wine
Wed - Wine and Rum
Thur - Wine
Fri - Wine and Rum
Sat - Wine
Sun - Wine and Baileys (if we can afford it)

Mon - Day off... yes you guessed it - "a few glasses of wine on my own, Its nice for a change once a week !!!!! "

Give me beer swilling rugby teams or netball teams any day of the week !!!

arwkrite
15-10-2009, 23:01
Its something to do with womens plumbing Delboy. They just can't take the bulk of drinking pints when they get old.I could give you some graphic descriptions but probably the politest one is childbirth can leave a woman with a lot of weak muscles. Old rugby players don't have that excuse but probably visit the loo just as often.:D

Soup Dragon
15-10-2009, 23:06
i just watched it on C4+1 - i cringed at first, like Mr A, but it got a bit better.

I was going to suggest i run a trip and take you all around the Roman fortress at Caerleon, then to the bath complex, the amphitheatre.........

what, no takers?

what if i run it on a Wednesday:D

arwkrite
15-10-2009, 23:41
Mr Arch I dont recognise any of those Caerleon pubs you mention in your proposed crawl but I would suppose they all sell mild. Is the Amphitheatre doing the Donny Osmond retro spectacular with zimmer frame acts ? Wednesday is not a bad day because there is no Coronation St on . The mrs wont miss that.
I will get back to you on that....then again...mmmm.....it sounds Welsh.

Soup Dragon
15-10-2009, 23:45
Mr Arch I dont recognise any of those Caerleon pubs you mention in your proposed crawl but I would suppose they all sell mild. Is the Amphitheatre doing the Donny Osmond retro spectacular with zimmer frame acts ? Wednesday is not a bad day because there is no Coronation St on . The mrs wont miss that.
I will get back to you on that....then again...mmmm.....it sounds Welsh.

Its where those netball girls drink, Mr A - thought you would like to meet them:eek:

arwkrite
16-10-2009, 00:21
A NETBALL TEAM ??? Yea Gods! I think I will take my chance with those brassy women of indeterminate age and the shortest of skirts;) swilling Polish lager out the back of 'Spoons. At least they may get tired occasionally.

Soup Dragon
16-10-2009, 00:24
Caeleon it is then, with the Guinness in the Red Lion on Mr A!

arwkrite
16-10-2009, 00:26
Alright, alright ,yes I can squawk like a chicken:D

Eddie86
16-10-2009, 08:36
I'm not so sure ark. The way these girls were downing shots of tequila, pints of guinness and glassess of wine. As the one girl said, it's all about the headache the next morning.

'If I spend 15 quid on 3 glasses of wine, and don't feel anything the next morning, then I've wasted £15'

And the prettiest one there could belch for England!

I feel quite upset I've wasted an hour of my life watching this rubbish. If this was on BBC I'd be like an old man with a baby on the roof chucking coal in at the bottom of the tele, moaning about wasting about the license fee. As it's not, I won't :p

The only landlord they spoke to was one that drank 15 pints a day! But normality is boring, isn't it.

arwkrite
16-10-2009, 09:49
I visit a pub , as I have said before, because I enjoythe civilised company of others while drinking my chosen tipple . Savouring the taste , the company and the moment is all part of it. Hang overs are rare thank god.
But others with similar likes and habits are dumped in the same group as these alcohol abusing mindless netball players.
I am fed up of the Media, Religious Groups, Band wagon jumping Politicians with Coke Habits, Politicaly Indoctrinated Chief Constables, GPs who keep asking my habits regarding beer intake and what goes on in my Y fronts, Reformed Television Celebrities and...if I have forgotten anyone I apologise proffusely...telling me I am ruining my life, the country, the future ,the world because I enjoy good beer ,cheap wine and methylated spirit from B&Q ( the blue stuff its my favourite..JOKE..dont try it at home.) And to top it all I am fat.
By the way did I tell you I was paranoid.

I had an idea it was going to be a bad day when I found the milk had gone off in the fridge. After that rant I could do with a drink butwill have to settle for black coffee .We dont have Wetherspoons here and I may be unlucky enough to come across a hung over netball player.(Dont they know you never buy a glass of wine in a pub its far cheaper to buy a bottle if your need more than one glass...the ignorance of youth)

Prostitution and beer drinking have been around a long time. Ug the caveman probably stopped off on the way home to drink something disgusting but alcoholic at a hole in the ground to relax the stress of the day with fellow mammoth hunters. Everyday but Wednesday for thats when that stupid netball team takes over the joint.

PaulOfHorsham
16-10-2009, 10:54
As stated, the programme did improve. I was disappointed (no - make that annoyed) that the emphasis was almost entirely on getting slaughtered. Maybe, if you're going to focus simply on the pub, you're going to focus on those who are there most, but I'm sure they could have found a fair number who just go for the beer and a chat. Maybe the heavy drinkers were more susceptible to the programme-makers.

The most frustrating aspect was that, 5 minutes before the end, they really did alight on a story - the shattering effect of the loss of the local pub - the regulars were genuinely lost without their Red Lion, but there was so little time to really get into that. What a waste.

Soup Dragon
16-10-2009, 10:58
Cant agree with you more, my Lord of Horsham

the best story was the sad dimise of the Shropshire Red Lion. Yes, it was all about drunks really - and they did set foot in the RL in Walsall

That 15 pints publican was really sad - laughing at, rather than with, as he thought. Ed and Alex, do either of you drink when at the bar - my mate told me his dad, who ran a pub, wouldnt touch it till closing

Conrad
16-10-2009, 10:58
Can't quite decide if I should watch this, by the sounds I should spend my time on watching some more episodes of Early Doors though.

Arwkrite, I often see myself as an aspiring Victor Meldrew, I see now I have so far to travel ;). I hope your day looks up and you find a chance to get a relaxing drink in.

arwkrite
16-10-2009, 11:04
Arwkrite, I often see myself as an aspiring Victor Meldrew, I see now I have so far to travel ;). I hope your day looks up and you find a chance to get a relaxing drink in.

"I DON'T BELIEVE IT"

I am working hard at it Conrad but the older I get the easier it becomes.:D

PaulOfHorsham
16-10-2009, 11:18
Very kind, Archivist.

My brother, who lives in Canterbury, visited the Stodmarsh pub recently, as it happens - seems it's a pretty good pub, albeit a Greene King one (but they do offer a guest). He didn't mention an inebriated and rather annoying landlord, mind. Heavy-drinking hosts tend to have rather poor pubs - at least this one is an exception.

Conrad - it's background viewing. As I said, the last 5 minutes are good. As for the rest, you need to check out the location, to see if it's a place you know, then you can get back to your reading, drinking, nattering, or whatever.

arwkrite
16-10-2009, 12:06
I visited a pub in Merthyr , not one of towns that makes the short list of Britain in Bloom, shown on Britains Worst pubs. Here brain challenged customers were supposed to set each others hair alight, gurn threateningly at strangers or even worse. They could not have been nicer when I walked, a Hello and a few friendly words and even the landlord gave me the correct change.
How many people play upto the camera ?

Eddie86
16-10-2009, 12:18
I was hoping it would showcase the range of different pubs there are - the wet led local, the beautiful workmanship in some pubs, a pub that does excellent pub food, a town centre bar etc etc.

Overall I thought the program was more about the drinkers than where they drank - that pub crawl with him drinking wine straight from the bottle in the fish shop for example. And when they got to a landlord - I thought great, a different perspective, landlords really could do with this, showing it's not all fun and games, drinking all day with your mates and raking in the money. Instead, monkey face alcoholic struggling to put coherent sentences together.

As for us and the staff, strictly no drinking until end of food service in the evening (normally 9pm) - then only halfs behind the bar that have been bought for them by customers.

I'll have a drink when I'm happy I'm not going to be needed - if my Mrs is working, for example, so the staff and customers still have a manager they can go to - I see nothing wrong in having a drink with your customers every now and then - especially residents, but obviously a skill in knowing which appreciate it (archivist) and which wouldn't is needed.

Soup Dragon
16-10-2009, 12:37
I see nothing wrong in having a drink with your customers every now and then - especially residents, but obviously a skill in knowing which appreciate it (archivist) and which wouldn't is needed.

And enjoy it i did to, though you didnt get much of a word in!

Conrad
16-10-2009, 12:53
And enjoy it i did to, though you didnt get much of a word in!
Isn't that another good skill for a landlord? :p

Soup Dragon
16-10-2009, 12:55
Just wait till i pop down to Bristol - you are Dave will really get it!:p

Conrad
16-10-2009, 13:10
Given your current title I will be setting the bird on you:
http://www.bcfc.co.uk/javaImages/8d/67/0,,10327~3434381,00.jpg

Farway
16-10-2009, 13:39
Not watched the programme yet, but sounds like I will not be missing much

Only Red Lion near me is one at Portchester, no idea if it is a binge drinker pub or not, used to be very pleasant with chavs sticking to the Wicor Mill, things change sadly

I can only echo Archivist about not coming across trouble in pubs, but maybe age, wisdom & sixth sense comes in here, knowing which pubs and areas look dodgy & thus avoiding them without realising a choice has been made

Soup Dragon
16-10-2009, 14:13
I agree Farway. Whilst i have the ambition to visit every pub (currently the Walsall Borough - then onto Cannock) there are three or four pubs that i will not set a foot in because of their reputation. There are also several places that i wont do in town because they are kids bars. I shall simply leave a note on the review areas for these pubs explaining why i didnt visit; Leathern Bottle and Poets Corner are two examples. I may be doing them an injustice, but my legs come first!

Delboy20
16-10-2009, 21:00
Come on everyone, didn't you expect the media to show more drunks than not. The general viewing public would rather see a binge drinking netball team than a game of "fives and threes".
Lets face it, pubs are there for all walks of life - not just real ale enthusiasts !! I was a student and I can relate to the binge drinking culture. I still do it on occasion. I was also a member of a team ( not netball before anyone says it !! )
Yes some pubs have bad reputations but I have never yet decided not to go in them. I am as yet unscathed !! In fact I have been made to feel very welcome in some of them.
Anyway live and let live. There are plenty of pubs to suit us all and remeber we were all young once !!

Cheers,

Del.

arwkrite
17-10-2009, 09:03
Visited Worcester centre yesterday afternoon and after the market shopping was done we went to what has become a regular pub for us. The city is normaly gridlocked between 4.30>6.30pm so me and the mrs sit it out. Its a Marstons pub and shows a different face according to the time of day.I like late afternoon the place has all sorts of visitors. Shoppers waiting for buses,Market traders , Office Workers from typists to lawyers and youngsters who are..well...just hanging out.
The smell of Dope drifts in from the outside smoking area a favourite place for the day long drinkers who about this time of day totter off to where ever they go.There is a steady turnover of people and the only angst is from the barman who keeps telling the smokers to keep the door shut.
By 8pm the DJ starts his stint and steadily increases the volume on his speakers. Gone are me and the mrs,the shoppers,lawyers and market traders. The pub now becomes a popular place in the student circuit, young people pass through in droves.
Trouble ? I dont know ,for at this time of night I would visit a pub out in the suburbs where life moves at a slower pace.

Oggwyn Trench
17-10-2009, 12:32
The pub nearest my house is a pleasant enough place to visit during the week , cheap real ale (£1 60 a pint) , and good value indian food a large beer garden with a kiddies play area , clientelle is a mix of after work drinkers , couples and families . At weekends it turns into Beirut , there were 6 police vans needed a couple of weeks ago as a gang of West Indians took exeption to a pub being run by Indians and then the local idiots joined in to .

Delboy20
17-10-2009, 19:03
Visited Worcester centre yesterday afternoon and after the market shopping was done we went to what has become a regular pub for us. The city is normaly gridlocked between 4.30>6.30pm so me and the mrs sit it out. Its a Marstons pub and shows a different face according to the time of day.I like late afternoon the place has all sorts of visitors. Shoppers waiting for buses,Market traders , Office Workers from typists to lawyers and youngsters who are..well...just hanging out.
The smell of Dope drifts in from the outside smoking area a favourite place for the day long drinkers who about this time of day totter off to where ever they go.There is a steady turnover of people and the only angst is from the barman who keeps telling the smokers to keep the door shut.
By 8pm the DJ starts his stint and steadily increases the volume on his speakers. Gone are me and the mrs,the shoppers,lawyers and market traders. The pub now becomes a popular place in the student circuit, young people pass through in droves.
Trouble ? I dont know ,for at this time of night I would visit a pub out in the suburbs where life moves at a slower pace.

Hi Arkwrite,

I have been in most of the pubs in Worcester centre. Could I ak which one ??

I have had a good day today due to the Villa win against Chelsea. I have had a few pints up Brum and I am now sharing a bottle of Red with the Missus.

Life is not too bad at the moment !!

Cheers,

Del.

arwkrite
17-10-2009, 20:15
Hi Dellboy , I have sent you a P.M. refering to the pubs location. If I make it public Mr Arch may surprise me with a netball team or the Daganham Girl Pipers.

Regards....Arwkrite

Delboy20
17-10-2009, 21:12
Cheers Arwkrite

PM read and replied to.

I wish I could bump into a drunken netball team !!!

Cheers,

Del.

Soup Dragon
21-10-2009, 12:39
Hi Dellboy , I have sent you a P.M. refering to the pubs location. If I make it public Mr Arch may surprise me with a netball team or the Daganham Girl Pipers.

Regards....Arwkrite

what me?....... Mr A, what happened to trust?

I watched the Villa win too, Del, class!