PDA

View Full Version : Smash the Aussies Cricket Prediction Game

Millay
21-11-2010, 06:09
Yet another Sportguru prediction game. This time it's cricket, primarily it covers the England v Australia tour Down Under plus also a few other international games going on at the same time.

The scoring system takes a bit of understanding. For Test Matches you pick the usual win-lose-draw before the game starts but also have a second pick up to lunch on Day 3. So if you go for an England win and it rains for the first two days you can then go for a draw. This midway pick does not replace your original one it's in addition to it, so if you picked England to win and they are doing well you can pick England again and get extra points. The margin point thing works on the basis of the first innings lead. You pick one team to be leading after the first innings then by how many runs. Points awarded for how close you get.

The One Day Internationals and Twenty 20 games are simpler, you pick the winner and by what margin. Because you don't know who is batting first you won't know how the margin will be determined, runs or wickets, so you pick both, e.g. Australia by 34 runs or 3 wickets, you then get points based on how close you get. You can be up to 30 runs or two wickets out and still get points.

I saw that Hondo mentioned on another thread that he'd signed up for this game so thought I'd set up a PG Pool in case anyone is interested. Some of you may get an e-mail invitation from the site but all are welcome and the code to join is RUDEWITS.

The first game is the first Ashes Test Match starting late evening Wednesday 24th Nov. The competition runs until early Feb 2011 and to add some interest includes some matches between South Africa & India and NZ & Pakistan (no betting will be allowed on this competition!)

Please post here if you join as I will need to accept you into the pool.

Delboy20
21-11-2010, 19:31
Count me in. I am gearing up for a few sleepless nights for the Ashes. I think it will be close this time but we should go into the series full of confidence.

I can't see me making head nor tail of that scoring system though:confused:

Come on England - Bring that little urn home :cheers:

Strongers
21-11-2010, 20:30
I'm in!

Millay
21-11-2010, 20:37
All accepted, so far it's myself, Crosste, Dave M, Delboy20 and Strongers

Evil Gazebo
21-11-2010, 21:22
I'm in. Looking forward to another winter of disrupted sleep patterns...

hondo
22-11-2010, 06:44
signed up

RogerB
22-11-2010, 08:24
Signed up. As long as I don't have to predict anything to do with the Duckworth Lewis method, I should be OK.

hondo
22-11-2010, 13:21
For some reason the system was not registering my 1st innings lead so i have resigned from the league. I will reapply & remake my selections if that's ok.

just figured it out my mistake reapplied

Millay
22-11-2010, 16:10
Have accepted Evil G, Roger and Hondo (twice !) ;)

Evil Gazebo
22-11-2010, 17:20
to add some interest includes some matches between South Africa & India and NZ & Pakistan (no betting will be allowed on this competition!)

Spoilsport! :p

I think I've got the hang of the rules for this, although when I inevitably trail in last I'll claim ignorance of some technicality. The Ashes series in Australia are the only times I'm really tempted to splash out and subscribe to Sky Sports.

Millay
24-11-2010, 16:08
Last chance to register for this competition. The first Test Match starts at midnight toniight. I'll check just before then to see if there are any latecomers.

Millay
25-11-2010, 01:04
First day of the first Test and the morning session has been a bit up and down. Strauss wins the toss and bats and promptly gets out for a third ball duck, is all this hope and anticipation at the start of an Ashes series to be misplaced yet again. Trott looked steady and robust until he played a lazy shot at a Watson delivery and was bowled for 29. In comes KP, the run rate picks up and he shows a few flashes of his old imperious self - even against the Aussies new left arm spinner who seems to have been bought in just to bowl to KP. Cook grinds out runs in Boycottesque style, surviving a dropped catch late on off his first aggressive shot, and I'll need him to stay there all day if my prediction of a draw for this match is to have a chance. 86 for 2 at lunch and Australia have probably just shaded the first session.

Millay
25-11-2010, 05:10
Well things were ticking along reasonably well, until birthday boy Peter Siddle grabbed a hat-trick. We're now in a pretty precarious position at 226 for 7. I reckon we need to get up to around 300 to avoid being on the back foot foe the rest of the Test.

hondo
25-11-2010, 11:47
happy birthday :bemerry:

439 :whistle:

Evil Gazebo
26-11-2010, 07:41
Set my alarm set for 5.30 for the final session, managed to catch approximately 20 minutes of play before they went off for bad light, and then it started raining anyway. :mad:

Seems like it was a fascinating day - Australia dominating the morning session, reaching 96-1 before England turned things round during the afternoon and reduced the Aussies to 143-5. The early finish probably suited England more than Australia by the end, though, as they reached 220 with no more wickets down and the supposedly out of form Hussey still there on 81.

Jimmy Anderson seems to have bowled very well, but reports suggest Graeme Swann has been poor. Advantage Australia, then, and England can’t afford to let them build much of a lead tomorrow, with the pitch looking as if it might start deteriorating quite quickly by day 4.

I think I may be revising my original prediction later. :rolleyes:

RogerB
26-11-2010, 08:08
With the snow about to disrupt all footy plans for the weekend, I may just become temporarily nocturnal and have a couple of all night TV / fall asleep on the sofa sessions! Had it not been for the quick exit for Strauss and Siddle's once in a lifetime fluke :whistle:it would be quite close. We need some big innings from KP but I'm still reasonably confident we can get at least a draw out of this one and not lose the series.

hondo
26-11-2010, 09:54
between the weather & fitba refs on strike :eek::(:mad:

bring back tiny wharton :ninja:

Millay
28-11-2010, 06:43
Things looking much better for England this morning after two gritty tons from Strauss and Cook. Just wish they'd done it in the first innings. My initial prediction of a draw is looking favourite although I bottled it with my midway pick and went for the Aussies.

Millay
29-11-2010, 02:20
Marvellous stuff, double hundred for Cook, a ton for Trott, Johnson bowling like a drain and Ponting acting like a spoiled brat over a catch that wasn't given. 466 for 1 for a lead of 245, get 'em in just before tea and knock a few over.

RogerB
29-11-2010, 08:19
Luckily I didn't get round to making a 3rd day revision when I would have doubtetly changed my predicted draw for an Aussie win. I certainly never saw that 2nd Innings coming from anywhere.

Millay
29-11-2010, 12:48
Luckily I didn't get round to making a 3rd day revision when I would have doubtetly changed my predicted draw for an Aussie win. I certainly never saw that 2nd Innings coming from anywhere.

The 3rd day pick doesn't replace your initial pick roger, it's in addition to it. I picked a draw at the outset and got a point even though I went for the Aussies at half time. I see there were a few who didn't make a 3rd day pick so just be aware that it's an additional pick not a change to your first pick.

RogerB
29-11-2010, 12:59
I see there were a few who didn't make a 3rd day pick so just be aware that it's an additional pick not a change to your first pick.

I don't recall getting any "reminders" either so it is easy to forget, especially when you have about 5 other prediction games going on at the same time!

Crossste
29-11-2010, 17:03
I,m not to sure how this first innings lead works. I believe that there is a margin of 40 runs either way. So, say you pick the Aussies to be 20 in front but they end up 10 behind do you still get a point for first innings lead or am i over complicating it?

Millay
30-11-2010, 11:35
I,m not to sure how this first innings lead works. I believe that there is a margin of 40 runs either way. So, say you pick the Aussies to be 20 in front but they end up 10 behind do you still get a point for first innings lead or am i over complicating it?

The first innings lead point is actually two half points. The first half point is simply for predicting who will get the first innings lead. The second half point is for getting within 40 runs of the actual lead. And yes if you pick Australia to lead by 20 and England lead by 10 then you are within 40 so you get the second half point. You don’t get the first half point because you picked Australia. If you picked England to lead by 20 and England subsequently lead by 10 then you get both half points.

Clear :confused:

Wait until we get to the one day games, it gets really complicated then with a tiered system of 0.3, 0.5 and 0.7 points available !!

Evil Gazebo
30-11-2010, 11:47
Bottom of the league with zero points, and a Nostradamus-like prediction earlier.

with the pitch looking as if it might start deteriorating quite quickly by day 4.

Total number of wickets actually falling during days 4 and 5 combined = 2. :o

Crossste
30-11-2010, 16:37
Got it now.

I,ve just been on the screen for the result of the first test and for the first time noticed the link to how the scoring works. I must have missed it when i looked after the end of the match.

See what you mean about the one dayers.:eek: I would imagine we will have to make 2 picks for margin points depending on whose batting first.

Millay
30-11-2010, 20:12
See what you mean about the one dayers.:eek: I would imagine we will have to make 2 picks for margin points depending on whose batting first.

That's right, as picks will be made before we know who is batting first the pick will be for example England by 4 wickets or 30 runs.

Dave M
02-12-2010, 23:16
What on earth is going on?!

I predicted the Aussies to have a lead of 20 in the first innings. At the moment I'm not sure they'll actually reach 20! :eek:

Millay
03-12-2010, 06:08
What on earth is going on?!

I predicted the Aussies to have a lead of 20 in the first innings. At the moment I'm not sure they'll actually reach 20! :eek:

I had a similar prediction, Aussies by 30 I think, after seeing they had won the toss. Now 242-8 and probably on for something like 260-280 which England would be delighted with.

Make that 243-9 another Anderson wicket, looking even better.

They think it's all over, it is now. 245 all out. I'd be quite happy for anyone who predicted a 200 lead for England to take this one. We do have a few overs to bat before end of play though

RogerB
03-12-2010, 08:21
a 200 lead for England

Let's score 200 first before we start on about a 200 lead!:p

Millay
04-12-2010, 11:24
Let's score 200 first before we start on about a 200 lead!:p

Job done, we're well on our way. My initial prediction was for a draw but I think my midway pick will be an England win.

Delboy20
04-12-2010, 14:06
Looks like my prediction of a 120 lead for England might be short of the mark - and I thought I was being a little over confident !!

Great to see Cook hitting form at the right time, and KP too.:notworthy:

Millay
05-12-2010, 06:19
Looks like my prediction of a 120 lead for England might be short of the mark - and I thought I was being a little over confident !!

Great to see Cook hitting form at the right time, and KP too.:notworthy:

England by 306 at close so no margin points but those who picked England to lead will get 0.5 point. With the weather forecast to be poor on the last day I think we are likely to declare overnight and try to put some pressure on them early tomorrow (11:30pm GMT start by the way). Katich looks to have an injury and Watson and Hussey are the only one's with any form.

Come on England ...

hondo
06-12-2010, 06:43
448 :notworthy::pray::notworthy:

Evil Gazebo
07-12-2010, 00:07
Excellent bowling by England - win by an innings & 71 runs. Smash the Aussies indeed, and a proper night's sleep for the Gazebo for a change.

:cool:

Millay
07-12-2010, 05:30
Excellent bowling by England - win by an innings & 71 runs. Smash the Aussies indeed, and a proper night's sleep for the Gazebo for a change.

Fantastic result. Unfortunately I missed it, did the same as yesterday, got up around 3am to watch the afternoon session only to find it was all over. I'd was half expecting it to have been rained off so delighted that we'd won.

Only down side is that Broad is out for the series but we have good back up bowlers - Shazad maybe.

RogerB
07-12-2010, 09:18
I'm so shocked at such a convincing victory that I almost bought myself a pint of Fosters.:sick:

hondo
08-12-2010, 05:42

hondo
15-12-2010, 09:26
bump 2 games to pick :confused:

RogerB
16-12-2010, 08:09
It was looking good for England when I left home this morning. Not so good by the time I got to work but still a decent showing.

hondo
16-12-2010, 08:15
raining in Centurion

arwkrite
16-12-2010, 12:19
I was listening to BBC 5 Live this morning. Some bod with a microphone was wandering around the crowd when he decided to stop and question an Aussie fan. This chap was obviously well oiled. When asked why he had the word "Vegamite" tattooed on his arm he replied to the effect," Cause I really love it. Its F***ing great." They failed to blip it out in time and lawd knows how many million listeners heard him. Red faces for the rest of the program.

hondo
20-12-2010, 11:40
468 :cheers:

Crossste
24-12-2010, 13:35
This is getting trickier now with NZ v Pakistan being thrown into the mix but my bookmaker friend in Lahore has advised me on the way he thinks the matches may go.

He seemed quite precise.

Millay
26-12-2010, 09:26
This is getting trickier now with NZ v Pakistan being thrown into the mix but my bookmaker friend in Lahore has advised me on the way he thinks the matches may go.

He seemed quite precise.

:lol::D

I see NZ won, any surprise there?

Millay
26-12-2010, 09:30
There's not many things that will cheer me up at Chr1stm4s but that did. Watched the first hour then listened to TMS as the wickets continued to tumble. Strauss & Cook didn't seem to have the same problems. England have all but retained the Ashes in a single day's play. A decent first session tomorrow and we should be home and dry. Ponting's face gets ever more amusing.

Dave M
26-12-2010, 09:41
Watched the first hour then listened to TMS as the wickets continued to tumble. Strauss & Cook didn't seem to have the same problems.

I woke up at about 6am and checked the score - I honestly believed I was either still drunk or still asleep. Listened to TMS till the close of play and as you say the openers seemed to be batting fairly easily.

I'm not even too upset at my spectacularly bad prediction of a 149 run first innings lead for the Aussies. I think I made up for that with the T20 prediction!

runningdog
26-12-2010, 15:21
:glass:Thanks to the wonders of Sky Box+, managed to watch almost all the first days play.
Very pleasant, not taxing in anyway which allowed me to concentrate on the little beer-rack in the cupboard.
The beer-rack that is, in the cupboard that is. :whistle: I think I'll get another............;): still :nishelypished:
:drinkup:

hondo
06-01-2011, 06:40
New Zealand v Pakistan tonight selections to be made

RogerB
06-01-2011, 09:21
New Zealand v Pakistan tonight

Well the England game won't last for very long. :D

trainman
08-01-2011, 14:48
Might a future quiz question be...

The downing of which beer caused tumultuous celebrations 07Jan11?