PDA

View Full Version : Disguised Handpumps

Rex_Rattus
20-11-2010, 12:36
I was in a pub yesterday and saw what looked to me like a couple of keg fonts on the bar counter. luckily I was with the more observant Maldenman, who noticed the word "cask" on the side of one of them. The barmaid said that there were in fact working handpumps hidden behind them, and we could see that there were what looked like wooden handles in place. As the beers in question were Young's Bitter and Courage Best we declined to test the operation of the equipment.

Has anyone else seen these things, and are they really operational handpumps? And what is the point of disguising them? Is it to dupe unwary keg loving beer drinkers into drinking cask conditioned ale? I would have thought it more likely to prevent real ale drinkers from realising that they are attached to casks. Luckily we saw some traditional handpumps so were satisfied in that respect, but if these really were the only real ale dispensers in the place, we would not have recognised them as such and would probably have turned tail and walked out.

I have attempted to attach a photograph, but am not sure that I have succeeded. The pub in question is The Running Mare in Cobham, and I have uploaded a photograph of them on the pub's page, which I guess Conrad will approve any time soon.

Maldenman
20-11-2010, 12:52
Wrong photo Rex.

(Sorry, bit of an in-joke, there was another one)

Rex_Rattus
20-11-2010, 13:34
Wrong photo Rex.

(Sorry, bit of an in-joke, there was another one)

Yes, the other one was a little bit blurry, possibly as a result of my hand shaking for some reason when I was taking the photograph!

Rex_Rattus
20-11-2010, 13:34

RogerB
20-11-2010, 13:48
The Cressy Arms in Dartford has something similar. There used to be 2 handpumps on the front var section and another at the side. The last time I went in I was a bit gutted to see that the 2 hand pumps had been replaced by what looked like keg beer engines but the side pump was still there. Being the only option I asked for a pint of Bombardier as per the pump clip but instead of using the "normal" pump, the barmaid walked up to the keg thingy and it turned out to be a hand pull. I did mention it in my last report...

http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/15822/

Farway
20-11-2010, 14:11
Never found a disguised one, seems to be plenty of "false" ones, just for decoration and "atmosphere"

Most annoying when asking what the brew is only to be told they are ornaments and would I like pint of smooth instead :mad:

RogerB
20-11-2010, 14:21
Most annoying when asking what the brew is only to be told they are ornaments and would I like pint of smooth instead :mad:

That happened to me recently as well - White Hart in Eltham. "Pint of Courage Best please". "Sorry - we don't sell ales - the pumps are just for show". :moremad:

Quinno
20-11-2010, 16:14
If you go to the Coopers Arms in Aberystwyth you'll see a Stout-labelled handpull, but when you ask for it they'll amble over to the nitrokeg and get it there without even asking if that's OK! Very poor! Apparently this sort of thing used to happen a lot years ago but I've only ever encountered it here since becoming an ale connoisseur:

http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/43742/

Rex_Rattus
20-11-2010, 16:55
If you go to the Coopers Arms in Aberystwyth you'll see a Stout-labelled handpull, but when you ask for it they'll amble over to the nitrokeg and get it there without even asking if that's OK!

http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/43742/

I recall something similar happenning to Strongers at the Waggon & Horses at Brentford, involving Fuller's Chiswick I believe. You don't see that sort of thing very often, thank goodness, I guess because any ale drinker would challenge such an outrageous practice.

Millay
21-11-2010, 06:30
I remember Greene King doing something like this a few years ago when their new St Edmunds beers was sold through a handle that was simply a shiny metal column. Then of course we have the ridiculous swan necked, north/south head contraption through which they serve IPA.

nd what is the point of disguising them? Is it to dupe unwary keg loving beer drinkers into drinking cask conditioned ale? I would have thought it more likely to prevent real ale drinkers from realising that they are attached to casks.

I'd say it's more likely to be the former, that don't want to be seen to be serving "old men's" beer in their shiny new chrome and leatherette bars.

Eddie86
21-11-2010, 21:09
Right, the idea behind this is to get more bars to stock cask - they're trying to make cask dispense look more fashionable. By that I mean look similar to keg products. You've got the GK one :

http://www.thepublican.com/Pictures//web/g/h/o/GKIPA_Revolution_image2_HR.jpg

And Marstons (Wychwood) as well:

http://st1.morningadvertiser.co.uk/content/img/articles/89229/230x170.jpg

Alesonly
22-11-2010, 00:24
Yes Ive seen a few around I tried Black Sheep on one it seemed OK. But as already said I missed the Hand Pumps completely and asked do you have any Cask Ales and was surprised when the barman said yes pointing too the modern Pumps.

Eddie86
22-11-2010, 07:33
They seem to have forgotten in their bid to get new cask ale drinkers about the current cask ale drinkers...

Rex_Rattus
22-11-2010, 08:21
You're right there. Had we not seen a couple of traditional handpumps on the other side of the bar we might well have walked out without asking about cask ale. I suppose this means we have to ask now, and I can foresee the need to explain the concept to bar staff who say "well, do you see any?".

Soup Dragon
22-11-2010, 17:37
I just remember doing this place.....

Not really shocked that it is now closed

http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/67249/

Spinko
22-11-2010, 18:05
Not sure if I should have created a new thread about this TBH. Disguised handpump and a disguised "end of barrel". Went in to my local, friendly enough place at weekend, but very disinterested staff midweek.

Now, it may just be me who is obsessed by Thornbridge brews at the moment, but I suspect not. The Handpump that had Thornbridge Jaipur on Friday evening now had Leeds Best on.

I walked in to where the Jaipur pump had been on Friday evening. Saw Jaipur wasn't on, bit disappointed, so went for a Leeds Best. This pump then "failed".

I decided to have a look around the corner (a quieter part of the bar). Jaipur was on tap in there, Brilliant!

Pint of Jaipur please barman.

It tasted like Leeds Best.

What did I think had happened? Jaipur had proved exceptionally popular, one of the bar staff wanted it saving for their after-shift session, and so had changed the Handpump Displays around. Anyone that asked for Jaipur would get Leeds Best. Much fewer people would want Leeds Best so that would be OK. If anyone asks for Leeds Best, they wouldn't get Jaipur as they'd fake an end of barrel.

There were a few other hints that this was going on, but I left feeling very disappointed that I had a pint out of a Jaipur tap that was clearly not Jaipur but Leeds Best. The tabs were in opposite places on Friday so something very strange had happened. May have been an honest mistake but I doubt it. The air in there midweek also led me not to want to raise the issue.

Very disappointing for what some think is one of the better pubs in Leeds.

oldboots
22-11-2010, 18:34
What did I think had happened? Jaipur had proved exceptionally popular, one of the bar staff wanted it saving for their after-shift session, and so had changed the Handpump Displays around. Anyone that asked for Jaipur would get Leeds Best. Much fewer people would want Leeds Best so that would be OK. If anyone asks for Leeds Best, they wouldn't get Jaipur as they'd fake an end of barrel.

This is actually illegal if done deliberately ("passing off"), which I'm sure wasn't the case here. Nice place if it does Jaipur and Leeds Best though, but surely only someone who hadn't had one or the other would be misled. Jaipur has a fairly distinctive taste and couldn't really be mistaken for the (high quality) ale that is Leeds Best and the strength difference should be a give away.

BTW Leeds (and Wakefield) feature in Coppers tonight (Monday Ch4 9pm) with the action focusing on the drunken bad behaviour on Saturday nights - but don't let it put you off.

Eddie86
23-11-2010, 08:48
Not sure if I should have created a new thread about this TBH. Disguised handpump and a disguised "end of barrel". Went in to my local, friendly enough place at weekend, but very disinterested staff midweek.

Now, it may just be me who is obsessed by Thornbridge brews at the moment, but I suspect not. The Handpump that had Thornbridge Jaipur on Friday evening now had Leeds Best on.

I walked in to where the Jaipur pump had been on Friday evening. Saw Jaipur wasn't on, bit disappointed, so went for a Leeds Best. This pump then "failed".

I decided to have a look around the corner (a quieter part of the bar). Jaipur was on tap in there, Brilliant!

Pint of Jaipur please barman.

It tasted like Leeds Best.

There were a few other hints that this was going on, but I left feeling very disappointed that I had a pint out of a Jaipur tap that was clearly not Jaipur but Leeds Best. The tabs were in opposite places on Friday so something very strange had happened. May have been an honest mistake but I doubt it. The air in there midweek also led me not to want to raise the issue.

Very disappointing for what some think is one of the better pubs in Leeds.

Apart from being highly illegal, this is atrocious behaviour. I can understand the staff wanting a pint of jaipuir - it's a lovely drink. But the simple thing to do is what I do - special beers that I know will have a high demand (jaipur, punk ipa, pen-y-fan etc) I tell all the staff the day its going on and the night before sell them a pint from the wood. Ends any funny business as they are well aware that I don't have to do this and they appreciate it when I do it.

aleandhearty
23-11-2010, 10:38
Right, the idea behind this is to get more bars to stock cask - they're trying to make cask dispense look more fashionable. By that I mean look similar to keg products. You've got the GK one.....And Marstons (Wychwood) as well
Not forgetting the Illuminated Black Sheep Pump, that was introduced a couple of years ago

Very disappointing for what some think is one of the better pubs in Leeds. Mmm. You've certainly piqued my curioslty. For some reason the name of a strong dark mild springs to mind. I'd love to know where. PM me if you'd rather.

BTW Leeds (and Wakefield) feature in Coppers tonight (Monday Ch4 9pm) with the action focusing on the drunken bad behaviour on Saturday nights - but don't let it put you off.

Mostly Wakefield, by the depressingly familiar footage. I was going to say The Westgate Runners impressed Roger when he came to town, but left an impression is probably more accurate. :eek:

RogerB
23-11-2010, 11:11
The Westgate Runners impressed Roger when he came to town, but left an impression is probably more accurate. :eek:

Ah yes! Just like Faliraki but without the sun, beer or decent totty!

arwkrite
23-11-2010, 11:25
I recall a thread somewhere about these new style metal hand pumps. It very quickly descended into remarks about adult toys.
Being restricted in my travels I have not yet found these new gizmos. I can see no reason to dislike them as long as real ale is the result of the handles being pulled. The traditional look is my favourite but I can see the marketing department wanting to move with more modern styling. Not everyone likes uneven stone flagged floor type of pub, though most would think fitted carpets, cottage furniture and keg beer as trappings of a traditional pub.Some visitors came into my local and complained when the barmaid told them it did not do food. It seems a sign outside to that effect would stop people from having wasted time. Mind, me and my mates were eating hot pasties from a local bakery filling the bar with a lovely smell of hot food.:whistle:

Eddie86
25-11-2010, 14:14
I recall a thread somewhere about these new style metal hand pumps. It very quickly descended into remarks about adult toys.
Being restricted in my travels I have not yet found these new gizmos.

*splutter*

arwkrite
25-11-2010, 16:43
Yeah and Rabbits too you too:whistle::)

Eddie86
25-11-2010, 20:24
Yeah and Rabbits too you too:whistle::)

I'm ashamed to say I got that...

aleandhearty
25-11-2010, 21:50
I'm ashamed to say I got that...

...This thread's developing a real buzz, cock.

Eddie86
26-11-2010, 10:53
...This thread's developing a real buzz, cock.

Never mind them...

Farway
26-11-2010, 12:09
You've lost me now :confused: