PDA

View Full Version : Winter Warmers

Soup Dragon
14-10-2009, 15:34
Hi all,

Its getting to that time again when the Winter Warmers will be hitting the handpulls/handpumps again at 6% or so!. Who out there actually tries them, or do you stick to your regular pint (Carling for Conrad)?

Conrad
14-10-2009, 15:43
And there is me planning to switch to John Smiths.

I have to admit I am looking forward to a few pints of Festivity now that the Winter months are soon to be upon us.

Dave M
14-10-2009, 15:50
Yes, I must try some Festivity this year if I actually make it to a Bath Ales pub.

I can't think of any Winter Warmers from other local breweries, do Wickwar or Butcombe do one? I'm pretty sure I've never tried any though, always stick to my usual beers.

PaulOfHorsham
14-10-2009, 17:56
We don't see too many strong winter beers round here, but the Old Ale is a bit of a Sussex tradition, with all 3 Horsham breweries producing one, as well as Harveys (and probably a few of the others, too). Usually about 4.5%, always dark and in the pubs from about now!

Mind you, Fuller's London Porter is a personal favourite when it makes its all too brief appearance.

Eddie86
14-10-2009, 21:29
We'll be warming up with some Old Empire 5.7%, leading onto the fantastic Otley O8 8.0% and ending over the festive period with some ale from the Heart of Wales Brewery. I'm not entirely sure of names yet, but one is 10% and another 12% (stand to be corrected on that last one). And now that Archivist has been and gone, Hobson's Mild 3.2% can come back on :D

Big fan of this time of year - some cracking porters and stouts around - I heartily recommend Dorothy Goodbody's Stout from Wye Valley - just beautiful!

Soup Dragon
14-10-2009, 23:06
Old Empire is a decent tot - and Hobsons MILD, well, what can i say! I think another book buying session is coming up!

I think you should look at relocating the Kilverts from Hay to Cheslyn Hay

Dave M
14-10-2009, 23:18
Old Empire is a decent tot - and Hobsons MILD, well, what can i say! I think another book buying session is coming up!

Thinking about it I have actually enjoyed a few Old Empires, but only the bottled variety. (Most of my 'locals' are clone estate pubs so drinking at home is a good option) :(

Eddie86
14-10-2009, 23:21
That explains your hair then...

Soup Dragon
14-10-2009, 23:23
Then MOVE!

Try Newton Stewart, Scotland - i seem to remember that was worth a vistit:rolleyes:

Dave M
14-10-2009, 23:38
That explains your hair then...

Yeah, certainly if I have more than one. I usually fall asleep after the first though!

Then MOVE!

Try Newton Stewart, Scotland - i seem to remember that was worth a vistit:rolleyes:

Ah, but if I had good pubs within walking distance how would I get round to keeping the site up to date!! :D

Soup Dragon
14-10-2009, 23:41
a pc whizz like you, you would take a laptop with you to the pub:D

Dave M
14-10-2009, 23:49
I actually tried to submit a review and picture to the site using a Pocket PC in a pub that had WiFi last week.

I failed miserably and was completely sober! :o

Who knows what would happen after a couple of pints, I might accidently hit the 'Delete all reviews that mention MILD' button that we have.

arwkrite
14-10-2009, 23:52
OOoooo OUCH!!!:eek:

arwkrite
15-10-2009, 00:10
Old Empire is a decent tot .

Now your talking .. It may be Marstons but its a great brew. Our local CO -OP sometimes has it in bottles otherwise I have to hope to hit on a pub that has it on as a Guest. The last one was the Horn and Trumpet ,Worcester but I missed it by being on holiday elsewhere.
Finally managed to get the Net book working in a Wetherspoons. Cloud really are a pain. I managed to access a print server in a pub , it must have been something to do with the inter till data.Despite it saying it was unprotected it gave no internet access. I am sure all this stuff is just invented to try my patience.

Soup Dragon
15-10-2009, 09:53
http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=11&stc=1&d=1255606009 (http://www.ed-robinson.co.uk/writing.html)

Mr A finally gets the laptop connection at the Spoons - in the beer garden!

arwkrite
15-10-2009, 10:36
No Mr.Arch ,I never visit 'spoons beergardens/smoking dens. I have no DHSS number,do not drink Polish lager or smoke so I would really feel out it.Not only that ,the brassy ladies of an uncertain age and shortest of skirts frighten the daylights out of me.Perhaps these are the sort women Mother warned me about but I have no intention of finding out at my age. Me and the mrs are usually sat closest to the disabled toilet so I can keep an eye on our bags should the need arise.Yeah ,Boring!

What sort of books is it you like to collect. I used to read alot but my concentration is rubbish these days.

Soup Dragon
15-10-2009, 11:00
Amazingly, i collect history/archaeology stuff, but do look for this and that as well, it just depends.

i picked up a few useful things and am reading Harry Patch's biography now

Farway
15-10-2009, 11:02
I used to watch out for Gales Winter Brew, but since Fuller's took over no idea if it worth the wait, or even made any more

oldboots
15-10-2009, 11:12
I used to watch out for Gales Winter Brew, but since Fuller's took over no idea if it worth the wait, or even made any more

Lovely beer, called 5X sometimes. I believe it used to be a mix of Prize Old Ale and Butser bitter (or BBB before that).

I don't know if POA is still made and Butser definitely isn't so we may have lost it:(

Soup Dragon
15-10-2009, 11:38
Lovely beer, called 5X sometimes. I believe it used to be a mix of Prize Old Ale and Butser bitter (or BBB before that).

I don't know if POA is still made and Butser definitely isn't so we may have lost it:(

Darn it - i conned Conrad and Dave into thinking i knew about beer - then you and Eddie arrive - my cred has gone!

Seriously, its great to see you, Sir!

I was going to say that Farway would have a local buddy in the sense that you knew his area, but to be honest - you have lived everywhere!

oldboots
15-10-2009, 17:28
- you have lived everywhere!

not quite but I do get about, I've never lived in the Midlands but I did used to work in Staffordshire quite regularly a few years back. I wouldn't claim to be an expert on beer but I do keep drinking the stuff - purely for research you understand.

Oggwyn Trench
15-10-2009, 19:34
Amazingly, i collect history/archaeology stuff, but do look for this and that as well, it just depends.

i picked up a few useful things and am reading Harry Patch's biography now

Have you been to Blackwells Books in Oxford , its the size of a small town centre and better still is both sides and above the White Horse , one of the best pubs in Oxford .

Soup Dragon
15-10-2009, 21:38
Have you been to Blackwells Books in Oxford , its the size of a small town centre and better still is both sides and above the White Horse , one of the best pubs in Oxford .

I have ordered stuff from there, but not been - yet - another stop over coming i think

OB, i worked in Stafford for a few years at the County Record Office there, and never really did much in the way of pubs, a waste!

Oggwyn Trench
15-10-2009, 21:55
Oxford is one of my favorites for a weekend away , loads of history , good pubs , old buildings not forgetting lots of young woman . Oxford never got bombed in the war as rumour is Hitler wanted it as the capital of the third reich , something to do with his obsesion with the occult .

Soup Dragon
15-10-2009, 23:49
Oxford is one of my favorites for a weekend away , loads of history , good pubs , old buildings not forgetting lots of young woman . Oxford never got bombed in the war as rumour is Hitler wanted it as the capital of the third reich , something to do with his obsesion with the occult .

Nor did Hay-on-Wye, Ogg - apparently Hitler was after a decent biography on Wagner:rolleyes:

arwkrite
16-10-2009, 00:06
But did Hitler realise half the British Army was hiding in the Brecon Beacons. Well I dont know about half but my dad was and his mates in the South Staffs. Not liking this running around mountains he joined the Royal Engineers. Ha Ha they sent him to Scotland to run up some real mountains before finding a nice flat area called the Longmoor military railway where he could play with the trains.
What this has to do with Hitler not causing Oxford to be bombed I have not a clue.
There is a true story though of a steamer being sunk in the Bristol Channel carrying barrrels of Guiness some of which washed up on Porthcawl Beach. One barrel is said to remain buried in the sands the finders being to drunk to remember where they hid it. Just the job for Mr Arch.

Soup Dragon
16-10-2009, 00:08
But did Hitler realise half the British Army was hiding in the Brecon Beacons. Well I dont know about half but my dad was and his mates in the South Staffs. Not liking this running around mountains he joined the Royal Engineers. Ha Ha they sent him to Scotland to run up some real mountains before finding a nice flat area called the Longmoor military railway where he could play with the trains.
What this has to do with Hitler not causing Oxford to be bombed I have not a clue.
There is a true story though of a steamer being sunk in the Bristol Channel carrying barrrels of Guiness some of which washed up on Porthcawl Beach. One barrel is said to remain buried in the sands the finders being to drunk to remember where they hid it. Just the job for Mr Arch.

If it were Holden's MILD i would be out there - forget the Saxon hoard found up the road - MILD goes off!