PDA

View Full Version : Oakham...Good or Bad?

General Staal
07-11-2010, 20:57
Just looked at the pubs in Oakham on the site. Only the Grainstore has a review. As the home of Oakham Ales, I would have thought the pubs here would have been quite good. But are they?

Quinno
08-11-2010, 09:26
Just looked at the pubs in Oakham on the site. Only the Grainstore has a review. As the home of Oakham Ales, I would have thought the pubs here would have been quite good. But are they?

I've only been in the Grainstore...started there and din't leave!

trainman
08-11-2010, 11:25

I don't know, but have had similar problems assessing the pubs of Grantham, home to Sara Barton's excellent Brewster's Brewery.
If anyone has any idea about Grantham, too, I'd be interested. Also benefiting by being one of few (new) targets reasonably achievable for both London and Nottingham branches.

trainman
08-11-2010, 11:42
Peterborough is a good location for finding Oakham outlets, and I notice that 3 of the 'venues' listed on the brewery website are there, the other being the soon-to-be-ticked Barton Arms in Brum. Interesting, then, that no Oakham pubs are listed in Oakham, so to speak.

Grailhunter
08-11-2010, 12:57

The Oakham brewery is not in Oakham. It's in Peterborough. I believe it used to be in Oakham years ago but then moved to Peterborough.

trainman
17-07-2011, 09:33
Bump, re the Grantham question, for me.
Grantham is fairly devoid of reviews and, surprisingly, even photos. Does anyone have any knowledge of its worthiness for a crawl?

Thanks.

ROBCamra
17-07-2011, 10:06
Bump, re the Grantham question, for me.
Grantham is fairly devoid of reviews and, surprisingly, even photos. Does anyone have any knowledge of its worthiness for a crawl?

Thanks.

I spent one night in Grantham about 4 years ago having done some training at the local Mags Court.

I did a crawl of the GBG listed pubs, all of which were OK, but none really stand out in my memory.

I do remember that many of them were in the LocAle scheme which meant lots of Brewsters, Newby Wyke, Oldershaws etc beer.

Current GBG lists Chequers, Railway Club, Lord Harrowby, Nobody Inn, Stagger Inn (not on PuG, I'll get it added) & Tollemache Inn (JDW).

trainman
17-07-2011, 10:17
Thanks ROB. Brewsters was the initial reason for me thinking about it, and decent travel times make it a possible.

RogerB
17-07-2011, 10:50
We stopped off at Grantham as a lucky dip lunch stop and had a quick wander but didn't really have time to do any of the pubs apart from the local 'Spoons. One pub that is worth having a look at (although I didn't know it at the time) is the Beehive, if only for its pub sign - a real bee hive located in the tree outside the pub!