PDA

View Full Version : Yates's Best Bitter

rpadam
06-11-2010, 21:00
Yates's Best Bitter (as in the 'house' ale from the no-longer-a-wine-lodge Yates's) - anybody know what it is?

NB - I don't suppose that it is Yates' Best Bitter from Yates' Brewery on the Isle of Wight, or Yates Bitter from the confusingly-named Yates Brewery in Cumbria. Rebadged Courage Best?

an_ecumenical_matter
06-11-2010, 23:49
Charles Wells Eagle IPA a while back according to "fat_beer_badger" of the dark side.

Millay
07-11-2010, 06:47
Charles Wells Eagle IPA a while back according to "fat_beer_badger" of the dark side.

Yes, I recall it being a Charles Wells beer as well, they sometimes have Bombardier alongside it.

ROBCamra
07-11-2010, 09:06
Originally it was brewed by Ushers, but as they are no longer brewing themselves................?

And Ushers beers are now contract brewed by Wadworth or Wychwood (aka Marstons) so who knows :confused:

Is it any good though?

rpadam
07-11-2010, 09:30
Originally it was brewed by Ushers, but as they are no longer brewing themselves................?

And Ushers beers are now contract brewed by Wadworth or Wychwood (aka Marstons) so who knows :confused:

Is it any good though?
I've had one pint of the stuff (in the Yates's in Swindon town centre, as I only go to the best places!) and it was a perfectly serviceable pint - fresh enough and all of £1.59.

I thought it had a hint of Charles Wells about it, and Courage Best is what came to mind. I see that Eagle IPA has also been suggested below - and this would make sense for the same reason - but I thought it tasted a bit stronger than that (but could be wrong as I had to catch the train and didn't spend a huge amount of time mulling things over).

Quinno
08-11-2010, 08:24
Yates's Best Bitter (as in the 'house' ale from the no-longer-a-wine-lodge Yates's) - anybody know what it is?

I'm also fairly sure it's Youngs/Wells too.