PDA

View Full Version : Worst looking pub photo ??

Delboy20
05-11-2010, 18:35
Hi all,

Does anyone remember a thread about "the dodgiest looking pub" or something similar ?? I did have a bit of a search but couldn't find it - perhaps someone else will remember who posted it ?

If I remember correctly it was a less than flattering picture of the Island Inn in West Bromwich. I am glad to say it has had a major facelift and now looks a whole lot better. I have added a new photo. http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubpictures/39042/

I can't speak for the inside as I have never been in - something I intend to put right soon !!

Anyone on here ever used it ??

Del.

trainman
05-11-2010, 23:06
Still looks like one I'd be walking on by... (that's an edit of the original opinion of it still looks *&^% to me!)

aleandhearty
05-11-2010, 23:23
...it has had a major facelift and now looks a whole lot better.

Hmmm. I the think the original was compared to a clutch replacement centre. However, the latest incarnation suggests some enterprising pensioner, in sheltered housing, has decided to open their own bar.

Farway
06-11-2010, 12:50
Still looks like one I'd be walking on by...

Yep, me too, the words "Sports Bar" are my cue to avoid

oldboots
06-11-2010, 13:41
Yep, me too, the words "Sports Bar" are my cue to avoid

actually the word "restaurant" is often enough for me.

Alesonly
06-11-2010, 13:57
actually the word "restaurant" is often enough for me.

Yes I would agree with oldboots I avoid any Place thats got words ( Bar & Restaurant ) after its name like I would a walkabout sports-bar.

Delboy20
06-11-2010, 19:30
You are a fussy lot !!!

I am in no way defending the place as I haven't been in but I feel it is only fair to point out that the door on the left is the "sports bar" and the door on the right says "restaurant". For all I know they are completely seperate from each other.

There is also a large sign advertising "real ales" - surely that would entice you in !!

arwkrite
06-11-2010, 19:37
Still looks like one I'd be walking on by...

How do you manage to do that ? Normally the only thing that keeps me out is the Closed sign. I do admit to leaving some pubs a bit earlier than planned and certainly faster than usual but its not very often these days. A sure sign that I am not so fussy these days and that I fit in to the " he may be strange but he looks harmless enough " bracket.

trainman
06-11-2010, 22:16
How do you manage to do that ?

Easy. To paraphrase Quinno, there's only so much that my wallet or liver can accommodate, so why waste time on poor beers or crap pubs?

arwkrite
07-11-2010, 07:37
Or as it is written on my key fob " Life is to short to drink cheap wine". Point taken but I have had one or two pleasant surprises by visiting pubs that did not look promising. I visited a pub in Merthry that was shown on Britains Worst Pubs.It was far from it.
If any of the regulars here warned that a pub was unsafe to visit or the beer undrinkable on a regular basis I would certainly take note.

Delboy20
07-11-2010, 08:00
Easy. To paraphrase Quinno, there's only so much that my wallet or liver can accommodate, so why waste time on poor beers or crap pubs?

I can see your point but how can you tell if it is a crap pub with poor beer if you have never been in ??

I am with Arwkrite on this - I find it almost impossible to walk past a pub if it is open. The only thing that would stop me is if there are too many pubs to get round - then you have to be a bit more selective. I have had many pleasant surprises over the years - although it has to be said that some pubs are " exactly what it says on the tin " !

rpadam
07-11-2010, 09:00
I can see your point but how can you tell if it is a crap pub with poor beer if you have never been in ??

I am with Arwkrite on this - I find it almost impossible to walk past a pub if it is open. The only thing that would stop me is if there are too many pubs to get round - then you have to be a bit more selective. I have had many pleasant surprises over the years - although it has to be said that some pubs are " exactly what it says on the tin " !
Quite so.

Even if one's visits to previously unreviewed pubs frequently end up with hastily consumed jars of John Tetleys Super-chilled Taste-free Smooth, there is almost invariably something to take note of and write about.

Alternatively, the blandest or dodgy-looking exterior can sometimes disguise a hidden gem.

If you don't go, you don't know...

trainman
07-11-2010, 09:13
Alternatively, the blandest or dodgy-looking exterior can sometimes disguise a hidden gem.

Agree with all that; let's face it, one wouldn't imagine the external 'appeal' of Stockport's Olde Vic or, say, The Wenlock, would be hiding rewarding pub experiences, but these days I rarely find myself on a wander without prior research so, yes, I am again indebted to those trusted reviewers who have gone before and left so much guidance.

General Staal
07-11-2010, 19:03
The Lord Clifden in Hockley, Birmingham looks pretty uninspiring from the outside. But it is pretty darned good!

runningdog
10-11-2010, 16:30
Not only is life too short to be wasting time on crap beer, the bliudy stuff often costs more than good beer..........:drinkup::drinkup:

Maldenman
31-03-2011, 20:50
Quite so.

If you don't go, you don't know...

Anyone suspect a hidden gem here? :eek:

http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/66280/

ETA
01-04-2011, 05:48
This really is a hidden gem... http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/65623/ : in a cellar (the clue's in the name) under a dodgy Indian takeaway. Well worth it though.