PDA

View Full Version : Reviewing Pubs from multi-visits

Spinko
30-10-2010, 13:11
I see there's quite a few unreviewed Leeds pubs. I could complete a number of them but it seems most reviews refer to what pints were tried. I can give give a general review based on many visits, but won't be able to refer to what beers were on. Is that ok?

ROBCamra
30-10-2010, 13:33
I see there's quite a few unreviewed Leeds pubs. I could complete a number of them but it seems most reviews refer to what pints were tried. I can give give a general review based on many visits, but won't be able to refer to what beers were on. Is that ok?

I think that in general any review that gives an overall opinion of a pub is a good one.

Beerwise you could always say something like "Four handpumps with changing beers".

Sounds like a good excuse to visit them all again to me. :D :cheers:

Farway
30-10-2010, 13:34

It would be by me, I often can never remember, or note, what beers are on, but can recall the layout, car parking, food available or not, clean toilets, pool table, large TV, overpowering muzak etc, so I post that

In an ideal world menton of beers is good, but the general description is very helpful as well, at least so anyone searching would know to avoid if they have problems with steps and loo is upstairs for instance

NickDavies
30-10-2010, 13:48
In an ideal world menton of beers is good, but the general description is very helpful as well, at least so anyone searching would know to avoid if they have problems with steps and loo is upstairs for instance

I think mention of the beers is essential to give others an idea of what to expect. It's handy to know if all there is is a solitary handpump of Pride, for instance (almost always a token gesture and almost always in bad shape) or it's all Greene King, and it's worth mentioning if it's in the GBG or has got Cask Marque. And if there's no real ale that's definitely worth pointing out. I do mention lagers sometimes, if they have an unusual range. That doesn't mean you have to have tried any of them.

aleandhearty
30-10-2010, 14:10

Hi Spinko. It all boils down to reviewing in a way that's right for you. If you've visited pubs on several occasions then chances are you'll have a much better impresion of what a place is like. My own reviews (when I actually get round to writing them!) are very beer led, but that's because I care about beer quality above anything else in a pub. Doesn't necessarily mean it's the same for everybody. However, if you note what beers are available on a certain visit it does give a decent impression of the type of venue it is. Maybe something to consider for future visits?

As Leeds is very under-reviewed for its size, all I can say is go for it. :)

Al 10000
30-10-2010, 15:04
As Leeds is very under-reviewed for its size, all I can say is go for it. :)[/QUOTE]

I would be carefull if reviewing pubs in Hunslett i went in 9 pubs there about 2 years ago 7 were fizz pubs and the 2 that sold real ale did'nt serve it very well and i got threatened by the landlord :muppet: in the Garden Gate because i gave him a £10 pound note and not the change i had which was for the bus back to the middle of leeds.

Spinko
30-10-2010, 15:09
As Leeds is very under-reviewed for its size, all I can say is go for it. :)

I would be carefull if reviewing pubs in Hunslett i went in 9 pubs there about 2 years ago 7 were fizz pubs and the 2 that sold real ale did'nt serve it very well and i got threatened by the landlord :muppet: in the Garden Gate because i gave him a £10 pound note and not the change i had which was for the bus back to the middle of leeds.
Yes, I will be careful, because the Garden Gate is much improved now after a takeover around 3 months ago by Leeds Brewery! It's a very "interesting" area however..a shame that such a pub is never likely to be successful around there. it could do with being picked up and lifted into central Leeds.

Andy Ven
30-10-2010, 16:23
I would say that any constructive review is worthwhile.

There are all sorts of things you could say about the type of clientele the pub would appeal to (families or real ale punters), how many rooms and type (bar, lounge, games room), pubco or pub with some individual characteristic, service (friendly or not especially), local or town pub etc etc.

This isn't exhaustive and none of it is obligatory. I would say write what you are comfortable with and try to make it useful to whoever might read it (but avoid making any libellous/defamatory comments).

NickDavies
30-10-2010, 16:43
I would say that a long and in depth account of a recent dining experience, highlighting those microwaved Brake Brothers dishes that were "to die for," or more likely the unsatisfactory digestive consequences of eating them is best left for other websites, like Steak House in The Evening.

Spinko
30-10-2010, 17:43
Thanks guys, well I've made a few comments as best I could! I've realised I think I know one of you chaps already from Aberystwyth!

Small world.

Conrad
30-10-2010, 18:31
Just to add my twopenneth. I certainly don't think the drinks are an essential part of the review, pubs exist for lots of different preferences, we just happen to have a predominance of real ale'rs doing most of the good work. But food and just generally being a social hub are key points for some pubs and I think just as valid.

Also even fairly brief reviews tend to act to seed the pub, people feel more comfortable reviewing pubs where a review is already there.

For me the key points of a review are that they are polite and honest. And anyone who has followed my moanings on the forum will know the other one is that a reviewer should always leave a predominance of good reviews. I don't want to read various strops about how rubbish so and so a pub is when I have no idea what they think a good pub is, for me you have to earn the right to tell me which pubs are rubbish. As ROB pointed out on a recent thread the classic review line of "this used to be a really good pub...." - well why didn't you review it then?

Spinko
30-10-2010, 18:52
Just to add my twopenneth. I certainly don't think the drinks are an essential part of the review, pubs exist for lots of different preferences, we just happen to have a predominance of real ale'rs doing most of the good work. But food and just generally being a social hub are key points for some pubs and I think just as valid.

Also even fairly brief reviews tend to act to seed the pub, people feel more comfortable reviewing pubs where a review is already there.

For me the key points of a review are that they are polite and honest. And anyone who has followed my moanings on the forum will know the other one is that a reviewer should always leave a predominance of good reviews. I don't want to read various strops about how rubbish so and so a pub is when I have no idea what they think a good pub is, for me you have to earn the right to tell me which pubs are rubbish. As ROB pointed out on a recent thread the classic review line of "this used to be a really good pub...." - well why didn't you review it then?

Good pubs tend to be lready reviewed.. :)

I#ll give a good review where it is deserved but my first few "filling in gaps" may be of bad pubs because no-one has got round to them yet.

rpadam
30-10-2010, 19:07
Good pubs tend to be lready reviewed.. :)

I#ll give a good review where it is deserved but my first few "filling in gaps" may be of bad pubs because no-one has got round to them yet.
I would certainly encourage reviews of "bad" pubs, because until there is an entry nobody knows anything about the place. Of course, one also needs to treat pubs which only have bad reviews with a degree of caution as there may be something else going on, but if you see a bad report from a reviewer one has come to trust then that is a great help...

Spinko
30-10-2010, 19:19
I would certainly encourage reviews of "bad" pubs, because until there is an entry nobody knows anything about the place. Of course, one also needs to treat pubs which only have bad reviews with a degree of caution as there may be something else going on, but if you see a bad report from a reviewer one has come to trust then that is a great help...

True. I'll try to become "trustable" :)

NickDavies
30-10-2010, 21:39
As ROB pointed out on a recent thread the classic review line of "this used to be a really good pub...." - well why didn't you review it then?

Because it was once, before we discovered Pubs Galore, or maybe even before Pubs Galore existed?

Conrad
30-10-2010, 22:52
I think this horse has been flogged to death.

I personally don't see the point of negative reviews, all they achieve is potentially losing that pub business. The energy spent on trying to lose that pub business to my mind is better spent on trying to win a good pub more business. Or to put it another way, enough pubs are going out of business at the moment without people trying to help that process, why not do as much as you can to reverse it

If someone is trying to journalise their pub travels than that is fair enough. But I have always been talking about the people whose only purpose seems to be poisonous, and I would hope that is clear by now.

Quinno
30-10-2010, 23:24
Thanks guys, well I've made a few comments as best I could! I've realised I think I know one of you chaps already from Aberystwyth!

Small world.

So it is the same Spinko then (I did wonder). See you at Lynno's wedding I guess?

Gann
31-10-2010, 06:53
So it is the same Spinko then (I did wonder). See you at Lynno's wedding I guess?

So let me get this right...

The acceptance policy practiced by Aberystwyth Uni was that you had to have a nickname ending in O... Correct ???:D:D:D

trainman
31-10-2010, 08:04
So let me get this right...

The acceptance policy practiced by Aberystwyth Uni was that you had to have a nickname ending in O... Correct ???:D:D:D

That's right, Boyo!

arwkrite
31-10-2010, 17:50
I know I am repeating myself . The grottiest pub serving the vilest of beer,with barely human customers and a bar person from Hell is someones favourite local. Not mine and not yours maybe but someones haven from the Mrs, the local CID, Friday Night Snatch Squad or Probation Officer. Some pubs can be so territorial its scary , an award should be given for reviews above and beyond the reasonable.
Write about what you see other than anything illegal, that is for a police report not PuGs. Ease of access and helpfulness of staff can be a big help to disabled customers as can the location of any car parking. I would not want anything resembling the now defunct Home Buyers Information pack. Hopefully a number of following reviews would give a rounded description of the place.

Spinko
02-11-2010, 17:03

Yeah, a few of us Aber 04ers e.g. the twinnos will be down on the Friday, may try a couple of places in Chippenham if we're down early enough.

Quinno
02-11-2010, 18:14
Yeah, a few of us Aber 04ers e.g. the twinnos will be down on the Friday, may try a couple of places in Chippenham if we're down early enough.

You might want to have a look at this then: http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?4483-Recommend-me-some-pubs-in-Chippenham! I'll probably be doing these two on the Sunday.