PDA

View Full Version : Pub news of the day

Conrad
05-10-2009, 11:28
Real ale 'enjoying rise in sales' (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8290264.stm)

A study showing Real Ale sales up. Hopefully this means pubs will be keener to sell Real Ale.

Soup Dragon
05-10-2009, 12:49
I put the growth down to my mate, JB, he can shift some pints, i tell you:eek:

Conrad
05-10-2009, 14:04
I put the growth down to my mate, JB, he can shift some pints, i tell you:eek:
Given they put it down to women in the article, can he also pretend to be a she :p.

Don't tell him I said that :eek:

Oggwyn Trench
06-10-2009, 18:19
My Mrs was drinking Chilli Choclate Stout at the Telford beer festival on Saturday , it was yuk

Soup Dragon
06-10-2009, 20:48
thats it - stick chocolate on everything and the ladies will go for it - sales up 100%:rolleyes:

arwkrite
07-10-2009, 10:53
I was in two minds as whether this should start a new thread or not.
Oggwyn's post about Chili Chocolate Stout started me thinking about weird stuff that gets put in beer these days.

Since the popularity of "lets all go around the world at someone else's expense" cookery programs some strange concoctions have emerged.Should beer really contain Chocolate,Coffee, Chilies,Ginger,Exotic Fruits ( or even exotic animals) and the rest of the stuff being chucked in by modern brewers? I suppose that it is only to be expected that the new breed has among st its ranks individuals who wish to think " outside the Box" and update a centuries old craft. Of such progress is born.

Even continental hop variety's are being grown and used in this country. I accept the addition of local wild fruits and berries as traditional but personsally they are not to my taste.

Are we in danger of loosing the taste of ordinary mild or bitter in much the same way as we are loosing the old style drinking house ?

( by" ordinary" this would take into account local tastes and preferences.

Conrad
07-10-2009, 11:08
Add chocolate to anything and you will get Dave to try it.

I actually think adding different things is fun, I don't think the traditionals will go away. Isn't it normally the way that these brewers have a few core brands and then some seasonal tipples that are the ones they play with? As someone who knows nothing about RA I have a tendancy to just go for the most interesting looking name or pump clip, so these gimmicks play nicely into getting me to buy their drinks.

arwkrite
07-10-2009, 11:19
I to am attracted to an interesting pump clip or intriguing name which I suppose makes me a Real Ale Tart. Owing my loyalty to none and always after another . Arwkrite ...You are a right trollop. ( Hangs head in shame while at the same time making cows eyes at a sexy new beer clip.):D

PaulOfHorsham
07-10-2009, 11:47
Hmmm, well.....

I suppose I'd be classified as a tart for looking out for ales or breweries that are new to me (whereas a mate prefers to either stick to what he knows, or stay with the same beer throughout the evening).

On the other hand, there's no way you'd find me ordering something with what I'd think of as an absurd or embarrassing name and I do think that some brewers contribute to the beard & sandles image with their beers.

paul

arwkrite
07-10-2009, 11:59
I'll agree with you Paul. Anything rude or crude puts me right off. It would appear to be aimed at those with an immature sense of humour such as in Uni. bars.. Good beer does not need that sort of promoting.
On the other hand I can appreciate subtle , dry humour. My trouble is that there are so many good beers to taste and I am fast runing out of time available.:)

Soup Dragon
07-10-2009, 12:39
Yes, i seek out new breweries and beers, however, all circumstances are taken into account - i wouldnt drink an extremely strong beer if out all day. I dont mind playing with flavours, though i have never found a fruit beer i like! Coffee and choolate, i have tried and enjoyed in drinks, but MILD still rules the day.

Conrad
07-10-2009, 14:51
Immature sense of humour you say, the comics were taken from Viz.

Possibly not the time to mention the friend who I go out drinking with who I swear only orders Butcombe so that he can break it into 2 words with relish.

Soup Dragon
07-10-2009, 15:24
Immature sense of humour you say, the comics were taken from Viz.

Possibly not the time to mention the friend who I go out drinking with who I swear only orders Butcombe so that he can break it into 2 words with relish.

He would love Slater's Top Totty and Dizzy Blonde then, for amusing banter with the bar maids, that have heard it a million times already!

Farway
07-10-2009, 16:48
I'm with Paul here as an ale tart, as someone famously said, never knock it until you try it, except incest and Morris dancing :)

So I will try a new beer, regardless of sexy or absurd beer clip, but round these here parts it tends to be same names keep cropping up

My local does try a new guest every week, but tell me they are limited to what Enterprise Inns has on the list, this weeks was HSB, last week was Young's

HSB is a regular for me, well it would be as I live near Horndean, but the Young's was a nice surprise for me, very drinkable

So, ale tarts united we stand

Soup Dragon
07-10-2009, 17:00
In keeping with the tart theme, i cant say i am too turned on by Youngs and Fullers.

Just to annoy you all, i have just booked up 3 days in Chester, with a warm up night in Wolverhampton, starting a week Saturday. Was going to do York, but may need to stick closer to home due to work, so that had been put back until April-ish next year.

I did Chester a few years back, but this will be the first time i get to review - ooooh! how i suffer for PG

:D:D:D:D

arwkrite
07-10-2009, 17:33
I spent a few days in Chester some years ago and found it a great place for pubs. Too long back to recall the names of them but I am sure you have your list of worthy hostelrys Mr Arch.
Our hotel was a modern place by the canal which our room overlooked and the bar charged astronomical prices. Mixing with the common herd in city centre pubs made it more affordable for me ( my mrs was on an expense account in those days but one does, or did,have some pride to stand ones corner.)
Only ever been in one Wolverhamton pub and that was the old style Yates pub. It looked a bit like O'Neills (O@Neills) pubs do now.I never put that link in ,honest it just popped up. My reason for being in such a place was again my mrs was doing the business in some swanky hotel and I was extra to requirements. Before you get strange ideas as to my mrs occupation I must say she had her own Telecommunications and IT company. The meetings were usually in hotel presentation rooms, but we certainly got around.

Conrad
07-10-2009, 17:55
Ahh, the sacrifices you make Paul. :)

My Dad used to live in Birkenhead and when visiting him I used to regularly hop down to Chester for a look around the town. It is a beautiful town, oddly I can't remember ever going into any of the pubs though, so I avidly look forward to your reviews.

Soup Dragon
07-10-2009, 18:01
I worked in Wolvo for BT just before i changed careers into archives - two great pubs, the Great Western and the Posada (i think i only have to re-review the Western) a few others that are fun as well, like the Gifford

Funny, i had to do some work today on an old video on cine film we were given - it was filled with Walsall trolley-buses, going where - yep, Bloko!

I was trying to see if i could see anyone swigging a can on the top deck, as i thought that may be you, Mr A!

I need to arrange a day out from Chester - may go and see another Welsh Premier league match - did Newi Cefn Druids last time - so if any of our Welsh colleagues on here no the Chester boarder area, any advice would be welcome

arwkrite
07-10-2009, 19:21
For those of you mystified by me and Mr.Arch's references to trolley buses and how they differed from todays buses have a look at these pictures.They were taken on the last day of Walsall trolley operation Saturday 3rd October, 1970 by Mr Norman Field ( thanks for Permission) with a Zorkie 35mm camera which I have a model somewhere.
You will have to be well over 40 yrs to remember them and I promise never to upload trolley photos ever again. Those of a nervous disposition please look away now.

Soup Dragon
08-10-2009, 10:14
For those of you mystified by me and Mr.Arch's references to trolley buses and how they differed from todays buses have a look at these pictures.They were taken on the last day of Walsall trolley operation Saturday 3rd October, 1970 by Mr Norman Field ( thanks for Permission) with a Zorkie 35mm camera which I have a model somewhere.
You will have to be well over 40 yrs to remember them and I promise never to upload trolley photos ever again. Those of a nervous disposition please look away now.

Hey Mr A, can you ask Norman if the Local History Centre could have copies - the one looks as if it is at Wisemore, passing the Prince and Cuckoo and Bell, making the Ansells sign a part of the vanished Sportsman, or the Criterion

arwkrite
08-10-2009, 11:09
http://www.normanfield.com/trolleybus.htm

I hope the link works, they often cause me grief.Yes it does and he is offering Hi Res scans..have fun.

Hi Mr Arch, I dont know Mr Field personally but came across his website about his varied interests. His trolley photographs have a copyright disclaimer sanctioning use by anyone with a genuine interest in them. There is a an e-mail address on the site, I just hope he is still with us if you catch my drift.
If they were my photos I would be honoured that a museum wanted them.Google turns up a few more gems.

Soup Dragon
08-10-2009, 12:50
Cheers, Mr A

I will ask our photograph chap if he knows him, then contact him

Dave M
08-10-2009, 13:06
Add chocolate to anything and you will get Dave to try it.

You'll make people think I have some sort of reputation when it comes to chocolate! I've yet to actually try any chocolatey beer, must have a pint of Bath Ales Festivity this year though, I believe that one has a hint of chocolate?

Soup Dragon
08-10-2009, 13:07
from what you have said, Sir, you have yet to try beer:D

Dave M
08-10-2009, 13:11
Ah I'm sure I'll try a MILD at some point! :rolleyes:

Farway
08-10-2009, 13:36
What's all this trolley buses being old, I honestly remember when they replaced the trams from Shepherds Bush to Uxbridge with trolley buses, and how the conductor had to use a long pole to put the trolley arms back on the overhead wires when they dropped off

Chester, yep, great place, when I was working at Neston we always tried to stay at the Plantation if we could, easy walk into town. Can't remember names of pubs but one was down near a bridge, local brew was Boddington's if I recall, sold off since I think.

Conrad
08-10-2009, 13:46
I was chatting to a friend about town planning policy recently, and bemoaning the lack of imagination in public transport. Seeing those trolley buses is amazing, some great photos.

arwkrite
08-10-2009, 14:15
What's all this trolley buses being old, I honestly remember when they replaced the trams from Shepherds Bush to Uxbridge with trolley buses, and how the conductor had to use a long pole to put the trolley arms back on the overhead wires when they dropped off

Faraway it seems the trolley still has its fans in the Uxbridge area.There is a strong lobby for a trolley bus line instead of a mooted tram line. In my opinion Trolleys co exist with other road users. Trams dominate any traffic scheme. I dont have anything against trams despite one knocking down and killing my Great Grandad.He was deaf ,poor old sod ,and never heard it coming.Think it was a Birmingham one that got him. I decided to let byegones be byegones.

We really will have to concentrate on how to involve pubs in this thread:)

Farway
08-10-2009, 15:32
We really will have to concentrate on how to involve pubs in this thread:)

Well the trolley bus terminus was near The Swan & Bottle in Uxbridge and I used to catch it [the 607] near The Crown at Hayes, will that do?

Soup Dragon
08-10-2009, 15:36
Well the trolley bus terminus was near The Swan & Bottle in Uxbridge and I used to catch it [the 607] near The Crown at Hayes, will that do?

:D:D:D

often several buses later,as a guess!

arwkrite
08-10-2009, 15:37
Excellent Faraway. The trouble with tea or coffee only dinkers is they cannot give decent road directions. They dont know where the pubs are and I dont have a clue where Starbucks or Costa Coffee are.:)

Farway
08-10-2009, 15:45
:D:D:D

often several buses later,as a guess!

I was only 11, but yes it was later buses as it was Saturday Morning pictures at the ABC cinema, which was near the Six Bells, or was it 7 or 8? [drops another pub name in] and war memorial, briefly renamed the peace memorial by PC brigade :eek:

Soup Dragon
08-10-2009, 16:22
Excellent Faraway. The trouble with tea or coffee only dinkers is they cannot give decent road directions. They dont know where the pubs are and I dont have a clue where Starbucks or Costa Coffee are.:)

I thought Costa Coffee was a Spannish holiday resort

nogoodboyo
08-10-2009, 22:47
Glad to see real ale sales are up, it's not everyday I get to use a Richard Thompson song title as a title for an email!!!

Soup Dragon
08-10-2009, 23:47
Glad to see real ale sales are up, it's not everyday I get to use a Richard Thompson song title as a title for an email!!!

Indeed, Mr b, gives faith in the pub industry once again - i never thought i would use a George Michael song title (i think its one?):eek: