PDA

View Full Version : What makes PuG good?

Conrad
26-10-2010, 11:16
Ok, we are looking at printing out some business cards (for PuG, not us) for a bit of fun and distribution. I sadly am terrible at proof, so thought I would test you lot.

Attached is a sample graphic, but what can you think of as fun bullet points, currently on there are the rather rubbish:

Leave your reviews, ratings & pictures
Let others knoaw about your favourite pubs
Find new pubs
Chat with other pub lovers on our forums

Should have a positive tilt so, this will not be welcomed:

Tell everyone where you got food poisoning and bought drugs

And should be punchy which I feel mine lack

:cool:

Strongers
26-10-2010, 11:37
UK's fasting growing pub review site.

RogerB
26-10-2010, 11:46
The Pubs Galore Forum - the pub with no beer!

Conrad
26-10-2010, 11:47
UK's fasting growing pub review site.
Is that to save more room for the drink?

:whistle:

A good suggestion though.

Millay
26-10-2010, 12:35
Not sure about 'Love This Local', it assumes that someone is reading it in their local pub. Maybe 'Love Your Local' would be better, then it would work wherever it's being read. The word 'local' also has the potential to narrow things down to a single different pub. How about 'Love Your Pubs?' or simply 'Enjoy Pubs?'

The first two bullet points could probably be combined into 'Leave reviews ratings & pictures of your favourite pubs'

'Find new pubs' could be extended by 'anywhere in the UK' to emphasise the coverage.

The forums bit looks fine

Mention of Facebook might help as well.

Conrad
26-10-2010, 13:06
Not sure I agree with the local bit, pretty much any pub is a local to someone. I think it sounds friendly which is the angle I am aiming for more. 'Love Your Pubs' or 'Enjoy Pubs' sound like campaign groups to me. What do others think?

I am hoping one day we wont be constrained to the UK, but I have to admit it is a lot punchier.

Facebook is a 2 edged sword, I don't think we can use their branding.

Oggwyn Trench
26-10-2010, 14:46
The Pub Lovers Guide

Love the Pub , Let the World Know

Overweight , Badly Dressed , Miserable Git , Drinking Problem ..... You will love our Forum:)

trainman
26-10-2010, 14:57
'A friendly, informative, troll-free pub site'.

'Visit our shed, for a troll-free chat with the locals'...

Conrad
26-10-2010, 15:30
You're a grumpy lot ;)

Latest pass attached.

aleandhearty
26-10-2010, 15:52
Leave your reviews, ratings & pictures
Let others knoaw about your favourite pubs
Find new pubs
Chat with other pub lovers on our forums

Hi Conrad

I wonder if the language needs to be a little more 'active' and 'dynamic', to include the social network generation?

Passionate about pubs?

Contribute reviews, ratings and pictures.

Tell everyone about your favourite pubs.

Search for new pubs.

Chat on our lively, friendly forums.

Possible taglines:

Pubs Galore - The website that's going places.
Pubs Galore - We're going places.

Conrad
26-10-2010, 15:53
Pubs Galore - The website that's going places.
Pubs Galore - We're going places.
Why do these sound so familiar?

Also surely we can have more fun than that?

Passionate about pubs?

Contribute reviews, ratings and pictures.
Obscure places, search for new pubs.
Chat on our lively, friendly forums.
Keg and Cask pubs favoured.

:whistle:

Definitely prefer the active language though

aleandhearty
26-10-2010, 16:00
Why do these sound so familiar? Go on enlighten me, is it bleedin' obvious?

Conrad
26-10-2010, 16:01
Go on enlighten me, is it bleedin' obvious?
No, they just sound really familiar, a travel agents or something.

aleandhearty
26-10-2010, 16:06
No, they just sound really familiar, a travel agents or something.

There is / was a travel agency called 'Going Places' but when I googled 'tagline going places' nothing came up. You know how much I like a play on words.

Conrad
26-10-2010, 16:09
That could be it.

Latest pass incorporating more active bullets

The punchline to all this of course is could you see yourselves leaving a few of these on pub tables after a drink if you liked the pub?

trainman
26-10-2010, 16:27
I understand the inference behind 'The pub with no beer', but just think that a very poor line to associate with a pub (& BEER) website. Sorry Roger.

If the shed is the pub with no beer (heaven forbid), then how about 'Chat on our lively forum - your friendly virtual pub'.

Conrad
26-10-2010, 16:43
Sounds sensible, although virtual sounds a little antiseptic to me. My brain sort of went 'The pub on your computer', I am not convinced that is any less off-putting though.

trainman
26-10-2010, 16:50
Pub chat in home comfort?

Millay
26-10-2010, 16:54
Sounds sensible, although virtual sounds a little antiseptic to me. My brain sort of went 'The pub on your computer', I am not convinced that is any less off-putting though.

I think your original 'Chat with other pub lovers on our forums' was good enough. Not sure it needs adding to

oldboots
26-10-2010, 17:32

Cyber pub, or is that too predictable?

Not sure about the word "chat", are its modern connotations less "pipe & slippers" than I am thinking?

Conrad
26-10-2010, 18:17
Cyber pub, or is that too predictable?

Not sure about the word "chat", are its modern connotations less "pipe & slippers" than I am thinking?
Well 'chat' packages are a type of application, like Messenger, Skype, etc. So it does have a meaning in the Internet age, although not one we use on the forum. I think it is a save enough word though.

I like the Passionate About Pubs line on reflection. Maybe that is the tagline?

Has it improved in the iterations, and are there any bits that people feel strongly about, and is there anything that would mean you would drop the cards, or anything that would stop you dropping them?

Rex_Rattus
26-10-2010, 18:21
I think your original 'Chat with other pub lovers on our forums' was good enough. Not sure it needs adding to

I agree with millay on this one. Keep it simple. I would definitely omit the "pub with no beer" - that certainly has negative connotations for me.

I certainly wholeheartedly agree with the concept, if the intention is that the calling cards will be available to rank and file PuG members. This is something that I've been meaning to raise for some time, but never got round to. There have been numerous occasions when I've asked permission before taking pictures of pub interiors, and it would have been immensely helpful to have been able to produce a PuG calling card to aid my explanation as to what are my intentions for the pictures.

RogerB
26-10-2010, 21:37
I understand the inference behind 'The pub with no beer', but just think that a very poor line to associate with a pub (& BEER) website. Sorry Roger.

It wasn't meant to be serious!

Strongers
26-10-2010, 23:54
engaging forum where it is always happy hour.

trainman
27-10-2010, 07:13
Overweight , Badly Dressed , Miserable Git , Drinking Problem ..... You will love our Forum

forum where it is always happy hour.

Where 'happy' is open to translation, or perception

Conrad
27-10-2010, 11:17
It wasn't meant to be serious!
I knew that :o

Andy Ven
27-10-2010, 20:09
We've touched on this topic previously, I recall

My beer mat design (post number 13) http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?2594-Beermats/page2 . OK, it just lifted the bullet points from the PuG home page.

I suggest targeting pubs on the day they are due to hold local CAMRA meetings

Strongers
27-10-2010, 23:03
I suggest targeting pubs on the day they are due to hold local CAMRA meetings

Probably better than putting them in phone boxes!

Quinno
27-10-2010, 23:21

Depends on how much head you want

(on your pint)

Strongers
28-10-2010, 00:45
[QUOTE=Conrad;22610]Well 'chat' packages are a type of application, like Messenger, Skype, etc. So it does have a meaning in the Internet age, although not one we use on the forum. I think it is a save enough word though.

I like the Passionate About Pubs line on reflection. Maybe that is the tagline?QUOTE]

Interested in inns
tantalised by taverns
passionate about pubs

Conrad
28-10-2010, 10:54
Anyone got any strong preferences or dislikes?

If not I will come up with what I like best out of all these and sent them off for a test batch.

aleandhearty
28-10-2010, 11:17
Anyone got any strong preferences or dislikes?

If not I will come up with what I like best out of all these and sent them off for a test batch.

As a group I suspect we'll never completely agree, so you playing benign dictator is probably the way forward. I'm more than happy to drop cards off on my travels.

Andy Ven
28-10-2010, 12:07

Mmmmm. Phone box traffic - I don't see many super heroes wanting to spend their time reviewing pubs when the earth needs saving ..... and sex addicts have other issues.

I think we have more in common with beer tickers. Maybe we should encourage train spotters to use their time more wisely and switch to pubs. I also see bus spotters outside my workplace - what's that all about?

arwkrite
28-10-2010, 23:23
I also see bus spotters outside my workplace - what's that all about? Quote Strongers.

Its an anorak kind of thing. In my youth I was afflicted and even now show an unnatural interest in buses . The pretty colours they are painted may be part responsible. In the older male it could be an over whelming desire to get away from the other half . Though sitting in a cold draughty bus shelter can be time better spent drinking beer or chasing women, always allowing for the onset of puberty. Somewhere in my loft I have a collection of Corgi Buses and the odd commercial vehicle.( And there is not a thing the Police or Office of Public Morals can do about it....so there ! ).

Farway
29-10-2010, 07:21
I also see bus spotters outside my workplace - what's that all about? Quote Strongers.

Though sitting in a cold draughty bus shelter can be time better spent drinking beer

I believe sitting in bus shelters & drinking beer [or at least cheap cider] can be combined into one pastime :drinkup::drinkup:

Oggwyn Trench
29-10-2010, 07:57
I believe sitting in bus shelters & drinking beer [or at least cheap cider] can be combined into one pastime :drinkup::drinkup:

You can combine Bus spotting and beer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZX6w7LVubx4 the beer patio of the Crown is just off camera to the right , worryingly this is one of my sons favorite videos

Conrad
29-10-2010, 14:55
Well we are going to try and get some of this design done and have them with us to hand out at the B'ham meet up.

I will try and sort this Monday, so let me know if there is any issues.

Andy Ven
30-10-2010, 09:07
Calling cards! I'll test some out on the steam train crawl I'm doing the following day in the Churnet Valley, followed by my Black Country real ale crawl by minibus at the end of November.

How many are you having printed?

Andy Ven
30-10-2010, 09:18
Not sure about 'Love This Local', it assumes that someone is reading it in their local pub. Maybe 'Love Your Local' would be better, then it would work wherever it's being read. The word 'local' also has the potential to narrow things down to a single different pub. How about 'Love Your Pubs?' or simply 'Enjoy Pubs?'

I thought what about just 'Love Pubs?'

.... then I thought that the cards might sound as if they are asking if the people who read them if they have an opinion on places called Love-Pubs, where people might go for speed dating.

Andy Ven
30-10-2010, 09:40
I also see bus spotters outside my workplace - what's that all about?

I saw 2 bus spotters in Birmingham yesterday, stood right next to each other, taking a photo of the same bus which just looked like countless other buses that were passing through. That's dedication.

I must confess I do like a London Routemaster though.....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/salim/69266030/sizes/o/in/photostream/

What a lovely pair!

Conrad
30-10-2010, 09:44
How many are you having printed?
Hmm, this one falls under our usual incompetence header. I was planning to get a small batch done to see if we like them, but to rush the postage twice would make it a little expensive. So instead we will probably go in at 2,000 (which is still fairly cheap, but hope they are not rubbish) meaning that we can hand them out at 100+ each at B'ham.

Given how good for promotion this is for us though if they do look tidy I am sure we will be willing to send them out to regulars who are willing to drop as they travel, it is something we should have done years ago.

Andy Ven
30-10-2010, 09:58
I'd be happy to take some on my travels beyond Birmingham and the Black Country

Farway
30-10-2010, 13:27
I would love to have some, as others say, very handy when publican etc asks about the photography when spotted

I hope to retry Havant hell hole sometime before Christmas as I believe at least two have new owners, so could be my trial drops

gillhalfpint
31-10-2010, 17:53
I am happy to take them on my travels too. Would it be ok to try to get them on a sheet to print off and cut out when we run out of those you dish out in Birmingham? They would just be paper rather than card though.

Pubsignman
01-11-2010, 16:16
Well we are going to try and get some of this design done and have them with us to hand out at the B'ham meet up.
[/ATTACH]

Maybe someone who is going to both the Birmingham and London meet-ups could bring a few batches back for those of us who can only make the London gathering. I'd be more than happy to distribute these when I'm out and about.

Rex_Rattus
01-11-2010, 16:45
Maybe someone who is going to both the Birmingham and London meet-ups could bring a few batches back for those of us who can only make the London gathering. I'd be more than happy to distribute these when I'm out and about.
Conrad - we've already been in contact about this - Roger has said he will bring some back for me.

Gill's idea is a good one. If you can get 24 or so on a sheet I would even go so far as to print them out on photo grade paper!

Andy Ven
01-11-2010, 17:24
If you can get 24 or so on a sheet I would even go so far as to print them out on photo grade paper!

or, if you can e-mail an A4 pdf to some of your dedicated volunteers so that we can print it out and guillotine into business cards I'd be happy to do that when the initial batch has run out

Conrad
01-11-2010, 17:59
I'll be interested to see how they turn out, if they are any good then I am sure we will be fine with sending them out.

Otherwise I will look at whether we can come up with a pdf for A4 printing.

Eddie86
02-11-2010, 18:16
:D:p

arwkrite
02-11-2010, 21:32
If I click that menu it means a trip to the larder. I think I will wait until after breakfast tomorrow.;)

aleandhearty
02-11-2010, 21:37
If I click that menu it means a trip to the larder. I think I will wait until after breakfast tomorrow.;)

It's OK Arky you're safe.There's a server error!

Conrad
02-11-2010, 22:28
It's OK Arky you're safe.There's a server error!
Not any more, I cheekily went in and fixed it, thanks for spotting that.

I will just tease Ed about it later.

Eddie86
03-11-2010, 07:23
Grrr - I'm starting to think I should have left this computer stuff to the professionals. Anyway, the cheeky grin was meant to be suggesting that I'd happily take a few business cards off you. Even better would be drink mats, or if your really pushing the boat out pump clip crowners saying some along the lines of 'If you like this pint, tell us at pubsgalore.co.uk' Get JDW or Marston's to agree to having them and your away!

Conrad
03-11-2010, 13:18
Brilliant idea! I wonder if we would be able to con a chain into it. Hopefully one day.

Me and Dave are still hoping to pop up and visit, so we will bring some business cards with us.

Eddie86
05-11-2010, 08:31
Brilliant idea! I wonder if we would be able to con a chain into it. Hopefully one day.

Me and Dave are still hoping to pop up and visit, so we will bring some business cards with us.

Give me a heads up - this quiet time of the year is when I go a-wandering. Sheffield is calling me shortly!

Conrad
05-11-2010, 12:11
I'll PM you, don't want to miss you twice :)

Conrad
15-11-2010, 14:33
Well we have some boxes of cards left after the Birmingham jaunt. I also have no problem with printing out more.

So anyone ever wanting a boxful, just let us know and we will send them out.

Delboy20
15-11-2010, 14:56
Hi Conrad,

I'd be happy to leave some on my travels.

Del.

Bucking Fastard
15-11-2010, 15:13
Well we have some boxes of cards left after the Birmingham jaunt. I also have no problem with printing out more.

I would be very happy to help spread the word and would appreciate a box,will anyone from the Brum event be bringing a box to the London meet up ,to save on P &P ?

Conrad
15-11-2010, 15:20
RogerB had a couple of extra boxes, so they may appear at the London meet, happy to send some on if they don't though.

If you PM me your address Del I will post them out to you.

Farway
15-11-2010, 15:41
PM sent

Delboy20
15-11-2010, 17:50
PM sent

Ditto ......

RogerB
15-11-2010, 18:21
I would be very happy to help spread the word and would appreciate a box,will anyone from the Brum event be bringing a box to the London meet up ,to save on P &P ?

I have a couple of spare boxes that I will dish out at the Falcon

aleandhearty
16-11-2010, 10:49

Still haven't quite made up my mind how best to use them. Several pubs I visit have piles of CAMRA application forms and branch mags. So leaving a few next to them seems worthwhile. But then.... I've got this vaguely comical idea of leaving one under a pint glass in every pub I visit, in the style of the 'Milk Tray' man. :)

Andy Ven
16-11-2010, 11:42
If you PM me your address Del I will post them out to you.

I'm not sure when Del Boy is in Birmingham next but I could collect some (and a T shirt?) from you when I am in Bristol this Monday coming and then meet up with him in Brum to pass them on......?

Conrad
16-11-2010, 13:40
Happy enough to send them, it is great advertising for us.

We are hoping to do a post run tomorrow so will send out any requests we have received until then, then.

PS, although do let us know if you want a drink Andy.

Conrad
17-11-2010, 21:19
Still haven't quite made up my mind how best to use them. Several pubs I visit have piles of CAMRA application forms and branch mags. So leaving a few next to them seems worthwhile. But then.... I've got this vaguely comical idea of leaving one under a pint glass in every pub I visit, in the style of the 'Milk Tray' man. :)
I meant to comment on this earlier, if you were the 'Milk Tray' man, wouldn't you be leaving the lovely tasty pint of Real Ale as well as the promotional card :)

We did a post run today, so hopefully everyone who put in a request should get their stuff before the weekend.

gillhalfpint
18-11-2010, 09:22
Did a crawl round Nottingham yesterday and put cards out. Wasn't sure where to leave them, but one went on the chalk shelf of the dartboard, some by CAMRA mag stands, one on a piano where music evening ads were. Didn't want to leave on tables where they might get swept away with rubbish. It was a good day though and we are off for a day in Sheffield tomorrow, mainly for the Harlequin beer festival, but may get round one or two others, the Gardners Rest in particular.

Conrad
18-11-2010, 10:06
Good stuff.

Main thing is make sure dumping of cards doesn't distract from vital drinking and pub enjoyment time. Myself I think I would just dump them near any literature you can see like CAMRA mags, or night club promo cards.

:notworthy: for the promoters though!

aleandhearty
18-11-2010, 11:21
... if you were the 'Milk Tray' man, wouldn't you be leaving the lovely tasty pint of Real Ale as well as the promotional card :)

:D Steady now. There are limits.

Did a couple of pub interior shots on Tuesday. When I cleared it with the barman first, he asked me what they were for. He seemed more than pleased when I gave him a card.

trainman
18-11-2010, 11:32
He seemed more than pleased when I gave him a card.
Yes, I think if an opportunity arises to hand one over the bar, if in conversation with the staff/mgr, then that's when the card drop will be most effective; hopefully that person will then tell others in the pub about the site.

Delboy20
18-11-2010, 12:19
We did a post run today, so hopefully everyone who put in a request should get their stuff before the weekend.

Cards have arrived safely .... Thank you very much !!

I will now swamp the Black Country with them :cheers::drinkup:

Rex_Rattus
18-11-2010, 14:07
My cards and T-shirt arrived safely this morning - many thanks Conrad. I like the motto on the back - "How's my Drinking?". Presumably you consulted trainman on apostrophe placement?

Conrad
18-11-2010, 14:49
My cards and T-shirt arrived safely this morning - many thanks Conrad. I like the motto on the back - "How's my Drinking?". Presumably you consulted trainman on apostrophe placement?
Being completely honest I consulted the back of the lorry I was following, thinking, "I really should phone that number given how incompetent he is" ;)

Glad to hear that they are all arriving, not bad for 2nd class post!

Farway
18-11-2010, 15:17
Mine not yet here, but how about in phone boxes along with the other "personal" cards ;)

Conrad
18-11-2010, 15:21
Mine not yet here, but how about in phone boxes along with the other "personal" cards ;)
May yours never turn up :p

;)

trainman
18-11-2010, 15:28
Presumably you consulted trainman on apostrophe placement?

On that subject, Bartons Arms caused a soupçon of consternation last Friday, but we'll let them off.

Andy Ven
18-11-2010, 19:06
Cards have arrived safely .... Thank you very much !!

I will now swamp the Black Country with them :cheers::drinkup:

I topped up the supply in the Wellington today, just a few next to the CAMRA material

Maldenman
18-11-2010, 19:11
On that subject, Bartons Arms caused a soupçon of consternation last Friday, but we'll let them off.

Never mind apostrophes we are now looking at the cedilla police. My word. Are umlauts available too?

Andy Ven
18-11-2010, 19:37
PS, although do let us know if you want a drink Andy.

I have to play it by ear on the day, depending upon when my gaffer has time to see me. I only drink Coke when I'm driving but I'm sure that wouldn't be a problem to you. Do you want to exchange mobile numbers by PM and I can let you know mid-morning?

Evil Gazebo
19-11-2010, 08:56
Never mind apostrophes we are now looking at the cedilla police. My word. Are umlauts available too?

Ja, natürlich.

Farway
19-11-2010, 13:11
May yours never turn up :p

;)

They arrived lunchtime :p

Conrad
19-11-2010, 15:37
They arrived lunchtime :p
I look forward to the influx of phone boxes to our listings ;)

Soup Dragon
19-11-2010, 15:44
I can see the review now......

A red and glass exterior gives way to a small, single room, where you can often get a good handpull. Music leaves you with a ringing in the ears.....

aleandhearty
19-11-2010, 16:05
A red and glass exterior gives way to a small, single room, where you can often get a good handpull. Music leaves you with a ringing in the ears.....

......However, the toilets are conveniently positioned.

Soup Dragon
19-11-2010, 16:28
......However, the toilets are conveniently positioned.

I fear evidence of your mispent youth, young A&H

Oggwyn Trench
20-11-2010, 10:16
I can see the review now......

Though due to the lack of staff and overiding smell of urine you may think you have walked into a Wetherspoons

Conrad
14-03-2011, 18:15
Having tracked down this thread I am not sure I am on the right one having read the last few posts :D

We have had a couple of requests for more cards and I have been embarassingly remiss in dealing with them. We have a job lot in the office that I am keen to get rid of, so if you think you can distribute them, in pubs this time ;), then PM me an address and mention how many boxes you can use, we will then dispatch them via Royal Mail.

Cheers!

ps. Extra credit to Gill, Dave got chatting to the licensee at the Three Tuns Bristol and let on who he was. The licensee then told him he was welcome to leave more cards - Dave had to explain it wasn't him :notworthy:

gillhalfpint
14-03-2011, 21:48
I have just photocopied about a dozen as we are running out. We are leaving those we have left in York at the moment.

I'll PM for the real ones though as they are more professional.

Cheers.

Gill

Eddie86
15-03-2011, 10:47
Our one's have all been taken :D

Conrad
15-03-2011, 14:11
Our one's have all been taken :D
Excellent, we shall send you some more then ;)

Conrad
31-03-2011, 12:12
I have sent out all the card requests now. Just a quick aside from a security perspective, I have deleted all your address from my PM inbox after I sent the cards just in case heaven forbid anyone ever guesses my password. For those concerned about such things it would be worth going to your PM sent box and deleting the message you sent to me with the address on, just in case anyone ever compromises your account.

This is just a good practice thing that should be done on any forum/online location I have no reason to believe anything here will be compromised and we do our best to stay up to date with all security patches.

Also does anyone else want some more cards :notworthy:

Eddie86
02-04-2011, 21:16
Just to say we have received ours