PDA

View Full Version : Cornish Ales

Dave M
30-09-2009, 16:18
Right, well I'm off to Cornwall this Firday, for hopefully a week a glorious sunshine just like we seem to have had throughout September!

Usually when I'm down that way I tend to just stick to the Tribute and Doom Bar, but perhaps I should be more adventurous this time. Oggwyn mentioned in another thread that I need to try the Betty Stoggs, does anyone else have any suggestions?

Is it worth me dropping by the Blue Anchor in Helston and trying the Spingo Ales?

Soup Dragon
30-09-2009, 16:22
Sharpe do more than Doom Bar - they do a Henry's IPA as well, which is worth a try. St Austell also do an IPA, which though not as good as the Tribute, was decent enough. I experienced the Devonshire drinks recently, which i am sure will be available as well, Otter, O'Hanlons and Branscombe were fine - want so keen on the Exmoor Ales

Dave M
30-09-2009, 16:35
St Austell also do an IPA, which though not as good as the Tribute, was decent enough.

Just looking that one up on the St Austell site, that would be the 'Proper Job' then! Definitely looks worth a try, although with an abv of 5.5% I best not have one of those at lunch time otherwise I'll be asleep all afternoon. :eek:

Conrad
30-09-2009, 16:37
I best not have one of those at lunch time otherwise I'll be asleep all afternoon. :eek:
Weren't you going with the family? ;)

Soup Dragon
30-09-2009, 16:38
no, Squire, it was a 3. something drink, i am sure. I think i had it at the Crown in Codsall, have a read

Dave M
30-09-2009, 16:42
Weren't you going with the family? ;)

Absolutely, that's why I need to keep the strong stuff for the evening.

no, Squire, it was a 3. something drink, i am sure. I think i had it at the Crown in Codsall, have a read

Ah yes, I was looking at the wrong page! The IPA is a 3.4% :o

In fact the description also adds "a great beer to drink at lunchtimes with a sandwich or pasty" - sounds perfect!

Oggwyn Trench
30-09-2009, 19:24
St Austell HSD (high speed diesel to the locals) is good but pretty potent , Tinners is a good quaffer . The beer at the Blue Anchor appears to be a marmite thing , love it or hate it . Always fancied a pint of Skinners Ginger Tosser as i have been called this many times :rolleyes:

Soup Dragon
01-10-2009, 09:06
Always fancied a pint of Skinners Ginger Tosser as i have been called this many times :rolleyes:

:D

How come i have gone from a real ale drinker to glass half empty?

when do i get to PG official MILD tester?

arwkrite
01-10-2009, 09:44
Patience Grasshopper, sorry Historian , the road is long to spiritual fulfilment.Only to soon will the Student become The Master ( pinched that bit from a tea advert). Everything comes to those who wait, except those on NHS waiting lists. I am fast running out of platitudes so I think I had better disappear down the hole in the middle. That last bit will confuse anyone under 25yrs.:)

Conrad
01-10-2009, 12:24
Empty your glass and you can go on to be a Mild tester ;)

I bet your mother used to have to tell you to eat your greens before dessert. :p

Dave M
01-10-2009, 16:48
The beer at the Blue Anchor appears to be a marmite thing , love it or hate it . Always fancied a pint of Skinners Ginger Tosser as i have been called this many times :rolleyes:
Yeah, I've detected the love it or hate it theme with the Blue Anchor from the reviews on here. Shall try to pop in if I am in Helston.

I'll also keep an eye out for any Ginger Tossers, although I'm not too keen on honey beers so I might not try it.

Dave M
02-10-2009, 21:24
Ok, well I managed to pick up a few bottled beers on my way to the cottage this evening. I've had a Betty Stogs, was a bit too bitter for my liking when I had it, but clearly wasn't a good choice to have with my meal. Will try another at some point.

I've followed up with a Sharpes Eden Ales which was rather nice. Question is to I open up a third this evening. I have a choice of two Skinners Ales, Cornish Knocker or Keel Over. I think perhaps I should try a Keel Over as that is pretty much how I feel right now!

Soup Dragon
03-10-2009, 00:41
Dave, i cant believe you are posting on this forum during your week off - your missus is going to be well annoyed - believe me i know (not your missus, just wife's in general!).

have a good holiday mate!

Dave M
08-10-2009, 13:01
Dave, i cant believe you are posting on this forum during your week off - your missus is going to be well annoyed - believe me i know (not your missus, just wife's in general!).

Ah, the trick is not to have a missus at all, I went with my mum and sister! Sadly as my mum didn't feel too good the whole time and the weather turned rather wet we decided to come back a bit early.

I'm ashamed to admit that I didn't even manage to venture in a single pub down there, which is always an issue when on holiday with a pair of teetotlers in fairness. I did at least get some photos to fill some of the gaps in our Penzance listings.

Soup Dragon
08-10-2009, 15:13
I was going to ask for your sister's number until you said she was teetotal:D

Conrad
08-10-2009, 15:17
Nominated driver :p

aleandhearty
15-10-2009, 18:44
The beer at the Blue Anchor appears to be a marmite thing , love it or hate it . Always fancied a pint of Skinners Ginger Tosser as i have been called this many times :rolleyes:

Was on holiday in St Ives in August and made a special trip to The Blue Anchor. What a disappointment. I thought their beers were awful. For beers of that strength to have so little flavour is criminal. It's interesting that they're not in the Good Beer Guide 2010.

Surprisingly, 'Ginger Tosser' was my favourite beer of the holiday, it actually tasted of something.

Oggwyn Trench
15-10-2009, 19:26
Just got back from Oxford , the Betty Stoggs in the Lamb and Flag was in fine form .:D

Soup Dragon
15-10-2009, 23:35
I had my first Skinners beer - it was the Heligans Honey, which i really enjoyed - bring on the ginger tosser

arwkrite
15-10-2009, 23:49
Does the Ginger Tosser actually taste of ginger? I really like the taste of ginger whether its in beer , biscuits, snaps or cake.

Soup Dragon
15-10-2009, 23:55
Does the Ginger Tosser actually taste of ginger? I really like the taste of ginger whether its in beer , biscuits, snaps or cake.

Never tried it, mate - A&H will know!

Conrad
16-10-2009, 00:03
I had been sat here thinking exactly the same question, with exactly the same justification.

aleandhearty
17-10-2009, 17:06
I had my first Skinners beer - it was the Heligans Honey, which i really enjoyed - bring on the ginger tosser

If you like Heligan Honey, I think you'll like GT

Does the Ginger Tosser actually taste of ginger?

There's a hint of ginger, which combined with a touch of honey gives a nice rounded taste.

Eddie86
17-10-2009, 17:42
If you like ginger keep an eye out for Ginger Bear from Beartown Brewery. From what I recall it tasted 80% ginger and 20% Bear but you might like that kind of thing :D

Oggwyn Trench
17-10-2009, 17:43
Enville do a nice ginger beer as well .

arwkrite
17-10-2009, 21:07
Thank you for the information I will keep a look out. I have come across a couple of Beartown brews and they were OK. The Ginger Beer sounds interesting.Not so certain I have found any Enville.

Conrad
18-10-2009, 00:22
Those Ginger beers sound delicious, I could be converted to this real ale lark. :glass:

Soup Dragon
21-10-2009, 12:42
Enville do a nice ginger beer as well .

Yes, Ogg - i saw it once and tried it - i think in the Shovel in Lye - it was really good - then Enville always is