PDA

View Full Version : Drinks to avoid

Strongers
22-10-2010, 11:01
What drinks do the members of this forum avoid due to inducing illness or volatility etc, rather than just not liking it very much.

I mentioned on another thread that I avoid Bacardi as it turns me into a jerk. I also avoid Kronenburg and Grolsch as they give me a killer hangover.

I avoid Vodka as I black out and I hate not remembering what happened the night before.

The smell of the liqueur in chocolates makes me feel sick after a savage night when I was at a party in my younger days and the parents of the host had their drinks cabinet drunk dry, mainly by yours truely! ouch!!!

runningdog
22-10-2010, 11:31
Ah, Grolsch. Am I the only ony who can't get it to go all the way down. Indigestion bait..........:sick:

Quinno
22-10-2010, 11:32
What drinks do the members of this forum avoid due to inducing illness or volatility etc, rather than just not liking it very much.

I mentioned on another thread that I avoid Bacardi as it turns me into a jerk. I also avoid Kronenburg and Grolsch as they give me a killer hangover.

I avoid Vodka as I black out and I hate not remembering what happened the night before.

The smell of the liqueur in chocolates makes me feel sick after a savage night when I was at a party in my younger days and the parents of the host had their drinks cabinet drunk dry, mainly by yours truely! ouch!!!

There's never any excuse to drink Ouzo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ouzo).

ETA
22-10-2010, 11:36
There's never any excuse to drink Ouzo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ouzo).

Ditto slivovicz, kruscovic and all those other revolting slavic concoctions distilled from the remains of rotten fruit and veg.

Gann
22-10-2010, 11:50
I cant drink fruit Schnapps, on account of being poisoned several years ago at my companys Nordic Xmas Party is Stockholm when I entered into a drinking contest with the assembled Swedes, Danes and Norweigans.

After the first half dozen rounds I did not spot that they were taking it in turns to 'Skol'. Consequently I lost.

The main culprit was the absolut Vodka based flavoured Snaps of the region, and even to this day I only need to smell one and the brain cuts in and closes my throat.

Farway
22-10-2010, 13:16
Never found one that really had unwanted & unexpected adverse affects. By this I mean if I drink to much of anything I wake up with a headache, or puke, pass out, forget etc, unwanted but not unexpected!
:drinkup::drinkup::drinkup::drinkup::drinkup:

Perhaps I just have not been trying hard enough?

Alesonly
22-10-2010, 13:26
The one Drink I totally lost it on is Gin Yes Gin. It has that Stella effect on me and I just feel angry and I get that blood boiling feeling. :sick:
I always remember some Girl who was in a large crowed I was drinking with in a pub one day back in the early seventy's kept putting in my Guinness when I was not looking and I totally lost It. :moremad:

ROBCamra
22-10-2010, 13:43
Any of the sticky sludge type drinks e.g. Baileys. They're just all too sweet and make me heave. :sick:

an_ecumenical_matter
22-10-2010, 14:31
Water.

Nasty wet stuff. :)

Strongers
22-10-2010, 14:52
Pussers - Headless chicken juice!!!

I'd have made a crap sailor and not just because I get seasick

Eddie86
22-10-2010, 15:21
White spirits seems to make me do things I regret later. Certainly no slammers for me. Normally a few ales, a few JD & Cokes and a whisky or two does me. By that time I'm too sleepy to do anything I regret

Delboy20
22-10-2010, 15:45
When I was much younger I often used to end the night with a neat Pernod.
That was until I had a triple drinking contest with a mate. I felt ill for days and now just the smell of it makes me queasy !!

To be honest I can't stand Whisky or Brandy either :sick:

I can drink more or less any type of beer, lager or cider etc and I am fine with clear spirits like Gin, Vodka etc... - apart from Pernod :sick:

NickDavies
22-10-2010, 16:07
There are some bitters with which I always start struggling with during the second pint, London Pride, GKIPA, Sam's OBB to name but three and end up switching to Guinness or lager. The only reason I get suckered into ordering them in the first place is that they so often tend to be the only cask ale on the bar, or only two if you hit a Pride/GKIPA win double.

Conrad
22-10-2010, 16:47
Red Bull & Vodka, I would tell you why, but I can't remember :eek:

Evil Gazebo
22-10-2010, 17:06
Another vote for gin. I like gin & tonic, but more than a couple and my behaviour becomes rather ... erratic shall we say. :o

Cider has been known to turn me into an aggressive idiot, but I can sense that approaching after a few, so can usually switch to sensible drinks in time. With gin, however, the silliness just seems to sneak up on me unexpectedly. Haven't touched it for years.

RogerB
22-10-2010, 17:42
Coffee. I wish someone could genetically manufacture some pestilent bug to wipe out the world's coffee resources. Tough on Brazil maybe but there you have it.

Oggwyn Trench
22-10-2010, 18:09
I dont drink spirits anymore (exept Ouzo on holiday) because they cripple me with heartburn/indigestion .
For some reason Murphys turns me from my mild mannered , slightly daft self when drinking into a right nasty b#st#rd , so i avoid it like the plague

HTM69
22-10-2010, 18:12
Stella Artois: any evening that has been ruined over the past decade has been due to my consumption of this vile ‘continental lager’. I’m generally OK after a couple, but any more and I quite literally turn for the worse. I become rude, vulgar and rather sadly – aggressive. I drank this beer a lot circa 2004-05 and it is no coincidence that it was during this period that I found myself getting kicked out of venues on several occasions. I recall one particularly regrettable occasion when I had to be carried down the stairs by a bouncer because I was so out of control.

Vodka is another. I used to drink double’s but after being asked to leave a concert last Tuesday evening (arghhhh!) I shall not be touching it again.

It’s going to be solely real ale and Guinness from this point onwards.

Eddie86
22-10-2010, 19:29
Stella Artois: ... I had to be carried down the stairs by a bouncer because I was so out of control.

They didn't just push you? That's post that is!

aleandhearty
22-10-2010, 19:59
I don't think any drinks particularly affect my behaviour - apart from talking gibberish and falling asleep. However, as 'trainman' hinted port gives me atrocious hangovers because of the high level of congeners. It's usually made even worse by having lots of red wine with a meal beforehand. I love a decent malt but like Oggy it seems to give me dreadful heartburn.

I'm indifferent to voddy, quite partial to Ouzo (instantly transports me back to the Greek islands) and think a decent G&T is one of the most underrated drinks going. The only ones that I really detest are advocaat and grappa.

Delboy20
22-10-2010, 22:23
Stella Artois: any evening that has been ruined over the past decade has been due to my consumption of this vile ‘continental lager’. I’m generally OK after a couple, but any more and I quite literally turn for the worse. I become rude, vulgar and rather sadly – aggressive. I drank this beer a lot circa 2004-05 and it is no coincidence that it was during this period that I found myself getting kicked out of venues on several occasions. I recall one particularly regrettable occasion when I had to be carried down the stairs by a bouncer because I was so out of control.

Vodka is another. I used to drink double’s but after being asked to leave a concert last Tuesday evening (arghhhh!) I shall not be touching it again.

It’s going to be solely real ale and Guinness from this point onwards.

What concert were you at ??

Strongers
22-10-2010, 22:30
Ah, GRAPPA!

Back in the day I used to have an Italian mate and his old man worked in a restaurant and we used to have a couple of espresso and grappa each with lashings of sugar for some reason (I never put sugar in my Nescafe) in said establishment before hitting Camden Town on a rampage. 48 hours no sleep some weekends - not sure it was just the grappa though!:eek::D:sick::eek:

an_ecumenical_matter
22-10-2010, 23:35
Another vote for gin. I like gin & tonic, but more than a couple and my behaviour becomes rather ... erratic shall we say. :o

Yeah anyones Gin and Tonic or actually any clear liquid becomes yours.

Any recollection of the night when then the "PLC" hadn't stumped up the brass in time so the "social secretary" just borrowed £500 from the safe of his shop?!

Twas a great night,I had my fill despite being former staff,you drank about 40% of the pot. Me and Mrs Gazebo needed a wheelbarrow to extricate you. :eek:

NickDavies
23-10-2010, 09:45
a decent G&T is one of the most underrated drinks going.

Gin and Tonic is a classic but one that too many British pubs struggle with. Baby mixers contain too much tonic for a single measure of gin but insufficent for a double, ice is too often rationed to one or two cubes which instantly melt, and I can think of one or two places which only stock slimline tonic ("there's no demand").

Spain does G&T well as long as you're not driving and it's the best drink on aeroplanes, where beer and wine always disappoint. A 50ml miniature with a 150ml tin of tonic is the perfect 3:1 ratio and they don't stint on the ice.

Gann
23-10-2010, 10:40
When I was much younger I often used to end the night with a neat Pernod.
:sick:

Ahhh Pernod.....:lol:

In my youth, for reasons I won't bore you with here, we had a year or so where we would finish the evening with several Pernod and Pineapples..

But Pernod is one of those drinks that is good value for money in that it sits in the stomach and is not quickly absorbed.

So first mug of tea the following morning and you are pissed as a fart again.. :bemerry:

Several embarrasing Sunday morning footy defending disasters were put down to excessive Pernod the night before...

arwkrite
23-10-2010, 14:54
I am lucky in that drink makes me sleepy and not at all aggresive. The more I drink the more my slight stammer becomes noticeable, this gives the impression I have drunk more than I have.Plenty of scope there for feeling insulted but after 60 years I reckon I have heard them all. In fact I hardly hear anyone make a comment these days. Back to drinks

Port makes me depressed.
Bacardi robs me of physical movement.
GK IPA just not to my taste.
Any sickly cream based drinks makes me heave.
Liqueuers for the same reason though useful as flavourings.
Any shooters / shots...waste of money

Farway
23-10-2010, 15:05
d but after 60 years I reckon I have heard them all. In fact I hardly hear anyone make a comment these days.

Same here, but when I put the hearing aid in I do hear them :D

Chris87
23-10-2010, 15:43
Coffee. I wish someone could genetically manufacture some pestilent bug to wipe out the world's coffee resources. Tough on Brazil maybe but there you have it.

Seconded. Can't stand the look, the smell or the taste. Always makes me feel a bit superior to be honest, seeing all these office workers clutching a Starbucks on their way to work, while I think "I'm awake already - I don't need it"

I used to never touch spirits (bar the occasional sambuca on a studenty night out). Recently however, if we're going on to a club, I've found that one or two vodka red bulls really perks me up, and means I can stay the course of the evening (when I was 18 or 19 I stuck to beer, got tired and usually disappeared at about 1-2am). I've yet to develop any sort of taste for whiskey, I find Jack Daniels undrinkable, and I don't really like G&Ts - or at least not more than one in any given evening.

I don't think I've ever drunk Port, Sherry, Baileys or Ouzo. I don't feel like I'm missing out, really.

I'd also like to second the Grolsch comments - truly awful

Strongers
23-10-2010, 16:09
Sherry round the grandparents at Christmas:sick:

Oggwyn Trench
23-10-2010, 21:06
Sherry round the grandparents at Christmas:sick:

You cant moan at a decent Manzanilla

Millay
24-10-2010, 08:51
I think someone should make a list of all of these drinks so that we can ensure none are imbibed in Birmingham on the 12th ;)

RogerB
24-10-2010, 11:33
I think someone should make a list of all of these drinks so that we can ensure none are imbibed in Birmingham on the 12th ;)
Can we safely assume that Starbucks is not on the agenda?

HTM69
24-10-2010, 11:51
What concert were you at ??

Brandon Flowers at the Brixton Acadamy

Farway
24-10-2010, 12:52
I find Jack Daniels undrinkable, .

Ah, that triggered a memory cell, bought a bottle of JD in Heathrow Duty free many years ago, for sharing with work mates on a flight to Florida, puked it all down plane's the toilet :sick:

Never touched it since

Quinno
25-10-2010, 09:18
Can we safely assume that Starbucks is not on the agenda?

No Dark Star Espresso for you then?

RogerB
25-10-2010, 10:05
No Dark Star Espresso for you then?

Nope, or Meantime Coffee Porter