PDA

View Full Version : Real Ale Tw*ts

Conrad
28-09-2009, 12:32
Been meaning to fish out this old Viz cartoon to see if it amused anyone. 3 instances can be found at Jeffo's Beer Blog (http://stonch.blogspot.com/2007/09/real-ale-twats.html)

arwkrite
28-09-2009, 14:34
To busy necking the stuff to get philosophical or introspective about it. I aint the Jillie Goulden of the beer world. I am sure there are a minority of lager drinkers just as dedicated as the Real Ale Twats but I have never met any.
The way the blogg continues about beer temperature is quite interesting.During a very hot summer some years ago I worked in friends pub part time. Everything was warm and frothy,beer,lager coca cola. No one cared as long as they got a drink. Pouring was a nightmare. Today overchilled beer is the problem. It makes my teeth ache and kills the taste of the ale.On a hot sunny day though it has to be chilled lager, beer makes me sleepy, the tooth ache keeps me awake.
Never gone to the level of walking around with a thermometer ( not unless my Doctor was forgetful :eek: ) to check out the beer.

Soup Dragon
28-09-2009, 15:38
If you want to get a flavour of real pub life, you cant beat Early Doors, we all know and Eddie Bell, or two, or three maybe, well i can think of four, five including him - add my footy team, i can think 16.

Hey, Mr A, you ever been to the Circus?

Conrad, you ever been to the Circus?

Dave, have you ever been to the Circus?

Please say one of you watched it, or i will look like a right Eddie Bell now!

Conrad
28-09-2009, 15:46
Not me I'm afraid guv, just had to Google it as I was far too confused.

Soup Dragon
28-09-2009, 15:53
both series on DVD, £8 on play.com - get it, sonny jim, you want regret it - crime wont crack itself!

Soup Dragon
28-09-2009, 15:57
filo, Oggy, Farway, Youngie, any of you seen it?

Filo
28-09-2009, 16:22
Nope, dont think so. I would have remembered if I had.

Filo

PaulOfHorsham
28-09-2009, 16:39
'tis, indeed, a wonderful series - been repeated on BBC4 recently. Not too much happens, but it's all played with warm understated humour.

Right - here you are. Tomorrow 23.20, series 2, Episode 4 and, check this out, Historian:
" Eddie and Joan discuss their love of circuses with the whole pub and Tommy gets a new job." !

paul

PaulOfHorsham
28-09-2009, 16:40
Back already to send you to BBC2, not 4 (so no lack-of-Freeview excuses!)

Farway
28-09-2009, 17:08
filo, Oggy, Farway, Youngie, any of you seen it?

Caught it once or twice, and enjoyed it, but having just looked at times I can see why I never often watch it, fast asleep by then

I'll try & set the PVR for it

Soup Dragon
28-09-2009, 17:11
Horsham; home of 'the point' and home of taste - thank you, Paul - gentlemen, i urge you to watch the programme

PaulOfHorsham
28-09-2009, 17:23
and of no less than 3 breweries....

Soup Dragon
28-09-2009, 17:25
dont shout that too loud, Marstons will take them over, or worse, Fullers!

Delboy20
28-09-2009, 18:36
Hi all,

Early doors is class.

Tommy - "I'll stay on my own !"
Eddie - "Temporary lights on the ...."
Phil and Nige(the coppers) - "crime won't crack itself"

The list goes on... I think the pub is "the Grapes" and Ken the landlord is a brilliant character. We have all known a gaffer like him !

" To the regiment ... I wish I was there "

Del.

Soup Dragon
28-09-2009, 20:25
To the regiment!

Youngie
28-09-2009, 22:40
I do vaguely remember watching an episode of Early Doors and remember chuckling to myself a few times as it had that Royal Family style. Like Conrad I shamefully admit I too had to 'google' it to refresh my memory. Having seen it is written by Cash and Mealy (creators of the brilliant 'Sunshine' drama series which starred Steve Coogan) Im going to make the effort to track this one down (cough) whichever way I can.

PaulOfHorsham
29-09-2009, 08:42
Right - this is the definitive word on tonight's transmission - BBC4 23.20.

Apologies for any confusion - I'd like to blame the BBC, but I feel the incompetence is probably all mine.

paul

arwkrite
29-09-2009, 11:02
Sorry Mr H missed the Circus.

Last time I went to one they had clowns and big furry animals. Sounds like a visit to a Brewers Fayre on Kids Party Nite ! ( Lawd ,just pass me the bottle.)....Awkrite...Mr Grumpy personified.

Conrad
29-09-2009, 11:39
I had the bright idea to check BBC iPlayer for early doors, sadly not there. Think 23:20 is a little late for me to make a point of being near the TV, so shall resort to the DVD's.

Youngie
29-09-2009, 11:59
Cheers Paul OH!
Conrad Old Chap! Get yourself Sky+ it is an invaluable tool....Mine's set and primed for tonight's show so be prepared for some verbatim quotations in a 'Real Ale Twat' stylee.

Conrad
29-09-2009, 12:36
Sky+ looks nice but I am on Virgin and when I was pricing up their equivalent I just cringed was silly money at the time. I may have to look again, truth is I don't watch that much TV these days (the wife is a Dr Who fan but that is about it), more likely to just buy a box of DVDs and go through that at my leisure.

Soup Dragon
30-09-2009, 15:12
Hi Sonny Jim,

just noticed the 2 series box set is 6.99 on play.com

get it - watch it, then lend it to Dave.

If you dont like it, i will buy you a pint - which at Bristol prices is half of it back!

Conrad
30-09-2009, 15:20
Fair play at that price there is no excuse. Ordered and with my quidco discount I can have half a pack of crisps with it as well.:D

Soup Dragon
30-09-2009, 15:25
I had never seen it and ordered it as a change from Dr Who dvd's - well, more a break from History documentaries and stuff - needed a laugh shall we say. I got it, put the first episode on after several days of having it - and watched the entire first series - the following night, the complete second series. A few days later, JB, my main drinking buddy and the recommender, stayed over while the family were away - we got merry and watched it again, still great stuff.

Conrad
30-09-2009, 15:35
Intriguing, well they should arrive next week, so will give you my thoughts once I have had a glance.

nogoodboyo
05-10-2009, 18:27
A very funny strip, has the artist been stalking me? Well at least I don't have a beard anymore eh?

Conrad
06-10-2009, 10:30
:D

I'm glad to see at least one of our subscribers recognises the cartoon. Most of you scare me with your knowledge of drink. I am still getting used to Mild not being a curry description.

Soup Dragon
06-10-2009, 11:08
Please call it MILD and bow when you speak, or write it

Your education is my goal:D

Conrad
06-10-2009, 11:20
Please call it MILD and bow when you speak, or write it

Your education is my goal:D

Admit it you were holding a Hydrometer as you wrote that :p

Soup Dragon
07-10-2009, 09:46
Has Early Doors arrived yet, Squire?

Conrad
07-10-2009, 10:02
Arrived yesterday, I hope to be able to slip an episode in later today. Was keeping quiet as I seem to be lacking time to sit down to watch DVD's at the moment.

Soup Dragon
07-10-2009, 10:54
this counts as research, Squire:D

Conrad
09-10-2009, 09:48
Watched a couple of eps now, one of those series destined to make me hide behind the sofa. Similar to the Office I am finding myself watching it thinking, 'This is a documentary, not a sitcom'. I am now waiting for the horror to set in as I realise which character I am most like.

Soup Dragon
09-10-2009, 10:11
Watched a couple of eps now, one of those series destined to make me hide behind the sofa. Similar to the Office I am finding myself watching it thinking, 'This is a documentary, not a sitcom'. I am now waiting for the horror to set in as I realise which character I am most like.

errr - does that mean you like it, or hate it?

are there roadworks by you?

Conrad
09-10-2009, 10:36
errr - does that mean you like it, or hate it?
Yes

are there roadworks by you?
Strange you should mention that, there are roadworks just round the corner that mean to save time I have to turn right a bit earlier and this adds 5 minutes straight away to my journey, but then ......

Soup Dragon
09-10-2009, 10:42
Yes

What kind of an answer is that?

do you like the circus?

Conrad
09-10-2009, 10:59
The best you'll get till I stop cringing at how real the show is.

Not seen anything about the Circus yet, but I am from the John Major School, I would have run away from the Circus to do Accountancy.

Soup Dragon
09-10-2009, 11:10
It gets better and better mate, with a few emotional bits and no jokes about Tommy and his MILD

PaulOfHorsham
09-10-2009, 11:12
I'll stay on me own....

Soup Dragon
09-10-2009, 11:52
I'll stay on me own....

And i do . . . . . God, i do sound like Tommy, scary

Conrad
07-03-2010, 22:55
Finally found the time to watch the second series of Early Doors this weekend, only took 4 months :o

Enjoyed it a lot more than the first, more jokes less emotion.

I look forward to trying to make "I'll stay on my own" into a catchphrase for myself.

aleandhearty
07-03-2010, 23:21
Finally found the time to watch the second series of Early Doors this weekend

I've got an Amazon wish list as long as my arm, on which the Early Doors box set is pretty high up. On my big five-oh, a couple of weeks back, I was given a present that was obviously a chunky DVD box. Yes oh yes I thought, tearing off the paper, only to find the complete Royle Family....not on the list. Families eh, who'd 'ave 'em? (Yes, I am a filthy ingrate).

Soup Dragon
08-03-2010, 07:25
Finally found the time to watch the second series of Early Doors this weekend, only took 4 months :o

Enjoyed it a lot more than the first, more jokes less emotion.

I look forward to trying to make "I'll stay on my own" into a catchphrase for myself.

Aaaaah, but do you like the circus?

Conrad
08-03-2010, 11:14
Aaaaah, but do you like the circus?
Oh yes, Do you know the name of the dog that found the World Cup?

Rex_Rattus
08-03-2010, 17:43
It was found near the Beulah Spa pub, near the home of world football at Selhurst Park - Pickles was his name!

oldboots
08-03-2010, 17:54
It was found near the Beulah Spa pub, near the home of world football at Selhurst Park - Pickles was his name!

"I'll write that down for next time, Pickles hohoho"