PDA

View Full Version : Self service beer

Maldenman
17-10-2010, 09:22
Has anyone seen this before? A table with a series of fonts built in over drip trays with kegs stored below in the base. The idea is to serve your own drinks with meters built in showing how much you've had. I spotted this in The Cross Keys in Chelsea yesterday, it's not up and running yet but just been installed.

www.tabletap.co.uk

Not sure about it to be honest, plus how do the staff ensure people don't leave without paying?

rpadam
17-10-2010, 09:38
Has anyone seen this before? A table with a series of fonts built in over drip trays with kegs stored below in the base. The idea is to serve your own drinks with meters built in showing how much you've had. I spotted this in The Cross Keys in Chelsea yesterday, it's not up and running yet but just been installed.

www.tabletap.co.uk

Not sure about it to be honest, plus how do the staff ensure people don't leave without paying?
I've seen something similar in Europe, but had wait quite a while to see how it operated as it was just used as normal table to start with. Eventually, a group came in and went to the counter to buy a handful of tokens which were then used to feed the dispensing machine. Given that this same bar also had particularly efficient table staff who would bring you a beer within seconds anyway, it all seemed a bit pointless (although the group did have quite a lot of fun watching each other pouring beer into glasses rather inexpertly...).

Chris87
17-10-2010, 10:07
The only place I've come across it in the UK was this week when I was in Manchester, and I visited Taps with a few mates. It's just off Deansgate near the Great Northern Tower. There were different beers on each table (2 each) and our one had Amstel and Blue Moon. A little computer display (about the size of an iPhone screen) keeps a tally of how many pints you've had although you're saved the potentially nasty surprise as to how much this costs until the end when you pay at the bar. As for staff ensuring you pay before you leave, the bar is right by the door so there's what architects call 'natural surveillance'.

It's an okay idea but I imagine from a maintenance / general upkeep point of view it requires a bit more legwork than your regular pub, which is possibly why it won't ever be as 'big' as your regular pub or bar.

Strongers
17-10-2010, 14:58
I remember hearing about this a few years ago, but have never come across it myself.

ROBCamra
17-10-2010, 15:00
[QUOTE=Chris87;22055]The only place I've come across it in the UK was this week when I was in Manchester, and I visited Taps with a few mates. QUOTE]

You need to chosse your table carefully in Taps. With the right choice you can get a table with draft Leffe + Staropramen rather than Amstel.

Wittenden
17-10-2010, 18:42
If you want to serve your own beer-stay at home. Half the fun of the pub is the banter at the bar.

Eddie86
17-10-2010, 20:47
I couldn't think of anything worse on my night off than pouring myself a beer from a tap!

I've heard of ones where you swipe your debit/credit card before it allows dispense, but that seems far too dangerous!

ROBCamra
18-10-2010, 08:03
I couldn't think of anything worse on my night off than pouring myself a beer from a tap!

I've heard of ones where you swipe your debit/credit card before it allows dispense, but that seems far too dangerous!

AND of course they use the notoriously flaky "Brulines" to measure how much you've had. It's not good. :(

runningdog
21-10-2010, 20:09
If you want to serve your own beer-stay at home. Half the fun of the pub is the banter at the bar.
My sentiments exactly. Seems a daft idea to me, one I'll do me best to avoid:drinkup::drinkup:

Strongers
23-10-2010, 00:28
Problem with staying at home pouring your own beer is the missus who is on a half cycle making the kitchen run seem to last all night - oh and apparently I now have to leave you all to log onto Sportguru for yet another probable weak weekend! bah!!!