PDA

View Full Version : Favourite glass type.

Crossste
17-10-2010, 08:01
Normally i am not fussed what type of glass i drink out of so long as it has only got one hole in it, but lately my local has started using some John Willie Lees branded glasses which have four finger grooves on one side of the glass and a thumb groove on the other (pictures on their website).

The grooves are not really the problem, although i do dislike them as they never seem to line up with my own digits, it is the size of the top of the glass. It is far to big! It is not mouth compatible! Seepage occurs with every mouthful!

Even with a modestly sized head on it i feel like i am loosing to much of my pint to froth.

Give me a Tulip glass every time.

Does anyone else have a preference?

oldboots
17-10-2010, 08:29
I dislike Tulips and absolutely hate Dimples so for preference it's a Conical (Vase) or Nonik (Sleever) for me, but as long as it's a thin, straightish glass (and full) I'd be happy.

See also this Pub Curmudgeon poll (http://pubcurmudgeon.blogspot.com/2010/06/mines-pint.html).

Delboy20
17-10-2010, 10:13
Favourite glass ? - A full one

Oggwyn Trench
17-10-2010, 11:13
I like a nice heavy, handled Dimple , though they are rare round here these days , but a Sleeve is OK it does the job , hate those continental vase things .

In a local pub a few weeks ago the barmaid served me a pint (Black Country BFG) in a sleeve , the next pint was served by the landlord who poured it in a dimple , explaining to the barmaid that i was a man , it was a mans beer and so should be served in a mans glass , sleeves should only be used for ladies drinks like lager !
As you can tell its very PC in there :D

Alesonly
17-10-2010, 11:44
I Prefer A proper Pint Glasss. Its the Glass Tankard type thats slightly wider at the bottom with a Large handle you see them mostly a Beer Festavals much more stable and less able too be Knocked over or slip out of your hand after a few Beers. Simular too this. :glass:

arwkrite
17-10-2010, 13:27
If its made out of glass, has a bottom in it and is clean then I am not to fussy. But I do not like Dimples due to an R.S.I like complaint.

Strongers
17-10-2010, 13:52
I'm a sleeve man.

Rex_Rattus
17-10-2010, 14:05
I was in a London pub many years ago where all the punters were drinking pints out of straight glasses, but my pint came in a dimpled jug. I asked the barman, in a conversational way, why I had been served in a different glass to everyone else, and the answer was "because you're wearing a suit sir". It really was a class thing, at least in London 40 odd years ago, and straight glasses were often regarded as a working class container. I was a Civil Servant then, so no way could I be regarded as working class, but I always made a point of asking for a straight glass in that pub. Straight (sleeve?) glass for me every time.

Maldenman
17-10-2010, 15:11
Dimple style jugs were the standard pint pot when I started drinking back in the very late 70's in the Manchester area. I recall straight glasses coming in, but they tended to be favoured by the lager or Guinness drinker. Nowadays I'd always take a straight glass and would reject a jug if offered as first choice as it was to me in a pub yesterday. The cynic in me has the view that the opaque nature of dimpled jugs can hide a less than clear pint.

oldboots
17-10-2010, 16:32
Dimple style jugs were the standard pint pot when I started drinking back in the very late 70's in the Manchester area.

Weren't "handle" glasses regarded as fit only for effete southern jessies at one time?

Remember the first scene of Get Carter, in a Newcastle pub, Jack Carter orders a pint, barman picks up a handle glass and Carter clicks fingers saying, "in a fin glass" - pure Caine magic.

gillhalfpint
17-10-2010, 17:04
I remember the filming of Get Carter. I was working in Blackhall Rocks Post Office when they went down the road to the beach for the filming. Black Sand and Sea Coal but lovely caves we played in as kids.

Wittenden
17-10-2010, 17:35
I'm a sleeve man, but sometimes I fantasise about being a very old man who lives within pottering distance of his local. I'd wander down the pub on Thursdays after collecting my pension-some hope- and sit in my chair, and sup my pint of Hophead in my personal pot-probably a pewter one with a glass bottom that would hang on its nail awaiting my arrival.

aleandhearty
17-10-2010, 20:31
Weren't "handle" glasses regarded as fit only for effete southern jessies at one time?

At one time? :D I think the glass debate is probably as divisive as the the subject of sparklers. Personally speaking, I think the tulip is a vessel of understated beauty, definitely my favourite. Next comes the nonic, before the dreaded dimpled jug. However, anything that is unbranded is best. I can't stand playing the human sandwich board, particularly for corporate eurofizz.

runningdog
21-10-2010, 19:19
I think the tulip is a vessel of understated beauty, definitely my favourite.......anything that is unbranded is best. I can't stand playing the human sandwich board, particularly for corporate eurofizz.
An unbranded, oversize, tulip for me. I'm staring at one as I type this. Just now it held a pint (nearly) of Old Peculier and right now I'm wondering, shall I fill it up again or wait till later and settle for Old Crafty Hen.......:cheers: choices, choices...:drinkup::drinkup:

trainman
21-10-2010, 23:46
An unbranded, oversize, tulip for me. I'm staring at one as I type this. Just now it held a pint (nearly) of Old Peculier and right now I'm wondering, shall I fill it up again or wait till later...

... I think we all know the result of that conundrum!

Strongers
22-10-2010, 11:04
... I think we all know the result of that conundrum!

An RD probably can't rememeber!

runningdog
22-10-2010, 11:28
An RD probably can't rememeber!
Cheek. Oh yes I can, it was the Hen, so there. I'm gonna sulk now..........:whistle::drinkup::drinkup:

Spinko
24-10-2010, 09:30
I prefer the standard shaped one without ridges but flared. A little bit of custom artwork or a cartoon on the side is a nice touch.

oldboots
24-10-2010, 14:39
A little bit of custom artwork or a cartoon on the side is a nice touch.

Try the Grove (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/40654/) in Huddersfield - cartoon by Honeysett on the glasses.

Spinko
24-10-2010, 16:20
Try the Grove (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/40654/) in Huddersfield - cartoon by Honeysett on the glasses.

Just the place I was thinking about when I made that post :D