PDA

View Full Version : The next Pubsgalore Crawl in 2024.

Bucking Fastard
09-10-2023, 14:30
Where would you like to go for a crawl ? Given there wasn't a "southern crawl" in 2023 ,can I suggest Cardiff for the next one.We have got some time to discuss this crawl wherever it will be ,are there any other suggestions ? The same applies to dates where up to 14 options can be polled for. When and where seems to be the question that needs answering.

Gann
09-10-2023, 15:57
I dont have a problem with Cardiff.

But I am concious the next one should be in the Midlands, as its not the Midlands fault that British rail buggered up Cambridge..

So i personally woyld be perfectly happy with the Midlands and if I have got this right the choices last time were
1) Burton upon Trent
2) Stoke (aka the Five Towns: Tunstall, Burslem, Hanley, Stoke and Longton)
3) Kings Lynn
4) Lincoln
5) Lichfield & Tamworth
6) Peterborough
7) Newark

With Burton as the clear winner. So I would not have an issue if we also chose whichever of the also rans finished second in that particular poll.. (which unfortunately I cant seem to find at the mo...)
By the way I cant believe it was Kings Lynn but if it was I've visited since and found it difficult to get to and bloody disapointing when you did, so i would put a line through that one.

Quinno
09-10-2023, 19:30

But I am concious the next one should be in the Midlands, as its not the Midlands fault that British rail buggered up Cambridge..

So i personally woyld be perfectly happy with the Midlands and if I have got this right the choices last time were
1) Burton upon Trent
2) Stoke (aka the Five Towns: Tunstall, Burslem, Hanley, Stoke and Longton)
3) Kings Lynn
4) Lincoln
5) Lichfield & Tamworth
6) Peterborough
7) Newark

With Burton as the clear winner. So I would not have an issue if we also chose whichever of the also rans finished second in that particular poll.. (which unfortunately I cant seem to find at the mo...)
By the way I cant believe it was Kings Lynn but if it was I've visited since and found it difficult to get to and bloody disapointing when you did, so i would put a line through that one.

Having done the Lynn myself around the same time as Gann, I'm not sure it's really worth the bother of a whole day's trip, despite one exceptional club and a couple of good pubs - I voted for it last time as I knew nothing of the place and I like to explore. Think Ely would be a better bet on that line but there's plenty else to choose from above.

Stoke's great but takes a fair bit of planning and a stern leader on the day to keep everyone whipped as buses will be involved.

Mobyduck
09-10-2023, 19:43

By the same token it's not the Souths fault British Rail Buggered up Cambridge (which is nearly Midlands anyway) either, British rail are good at buggering up everything. I personally feel we should stick with the same pattern, South, Midlands , North, be it Cardiff or elsewhere.

an_ecumenical_matter
10-10-2023, 16:46
Hello folks. I wasn't going to give much more input on here any more but can I just say Wales are playing chase the egg at home on 3rd February and 10th and 16th of March. Also Cheltenham Gold Cup racing is Friday 15th March so crazy trains from both London and the north .

sheffield hatter
13-10-2023, 09:30
By the same token it's not the Souths fault British Rail Buggered up Cambridge (which is nearly Midlands anyway) either, British rail are good at buggering up everything. I personally feel we should stick with the same pattern, South, Midlands, North, be it Cardiff or elsewhere.

Is there a South, Midlands, North pattern? I know we have tried to vary it in the past, and the suggestion was made that having a summer crawl in the Mediterranean region south of England was somewhat foolhardy.

By the same token, I would want to avoid a northern venue if it was early spring or late autumn. But sometimes it's someone's turn and we have to cope with whatever the weather turns out to be.

... Cambridge (which is nearly Midlands anyway)

East, I reckon. #geographygalore ;)

Pangolin
17-10-2023, 23:43
Personally I think Cambridge should be reinstated as the next destination, with just the date to be decided. However I am also aware that rail disruption there is still possible (ok, even more possible than most other places) so I would not mind switching to Cardiff or elsewhere.

PS - please stop impugning British Rail, which has not existed in any shape or form since 2013 at the latest. Network Rail is far more deserving of abuse, or individual train operators where appropriate!

Bucking Fastard
19-10-2023, 09:16
Summarising the thoughts so far,no one is objecting to Cardiff but aem does point out some weekends when either the city or the trains will be very busy.Most replies also mention " Cardiff or somewhere else" so do any of the other leaders in the last southern poll excite such as Bath or Lewes ?

sheffield hatter
19-10-2023, 11:31
Hello folks. I wasn't going to give much more input on here any more but can I just say Wales are playing chase the egg at home on 3rd February and 10th and 16th of March. Also Cheltenham Gold Cup racing is Friday 15th March so crazy trains from both London and the north .

Valuable input! That would also potentially affect Bath if we were to take up Nev's suggestion of revisiting the vote on the venue as well as the date.

I'm still not clear as to why February/March was proposed. Haven't we been going for spring dates post-Easter in recent years?

Mobyduck
19-10-2023, 11:45
Valuable input! That would also potentially affect Bath if we were to take up Nev's suggestion of revisiting the vote on the venue as well as the date.

I'm still not clear as to why February/March was proposed. Haven't we been going for spring dates post-Easter in recent years?
Fixture congestion. :D

Tris39
19-10-2023, 19:20
Summarising the thoughts so far,no one is objecting to Cardiff but aem does point out some weekends when either the city or the trains will be very busy.Most replies also mention " Cardiff or somewhere else" so do any of the other leaders in the last southern poll excite such as Bath or Lewes ?

Not been in 43 years, so I'm going to raise a hand for Bath.

Mobyduck
19-10-2023, 19:51
I like Lewes but Grahams concerns about size are probably correct, I reckon on about 10 pubs of PuG crawl standard plus 2 or 3 wildcards, a good day out all the same. I don't mind Bath despite a couple of visits in the last 3 years.

Bucking Fastard
20-10-2023, 08:21

There are a maximum of 14 options on a poll for dates,and looking at past history March has often been the first crawl of the year,with two more recent "first of the year crawls" in April.Avoiding February would really suit me ,so maybe poll for dates in March and April once we've sorted out a venue ?

sheffield hatter
20-10-2023, 12:36
I like Lewes but Grahams concerns about size are probably correct, I reckon on about 10 pubs of PuG crawl standard plus 2 or 3 wildcards, a good day out all the same. I don't mind Bath despite a couple of visits in the last 3 years.

I'm not sure I can manage that these days! I reckon Lewes would do me nicely.

Avoiding February would really suit me ,so maybe poll for dates in March and April once we've sorted out a venue ?

Avoiding those dates mentioned by Mark too (especially March 15th and 16th) if it's Bath or Cardiff! And Easter weekend is the last one of the month.

Quinno
21-10-2023, 10:09
Is there a South, Midlands, North pattern? I know we have tried to vary it in the past, and the suggestion was made that having a summer crawl in the Mediterranean region south of England was somewhat foolhardy.

I think experience has shown us that doing anywhere south in summer is likely to lead to heat exhaustion, for both both crawlees and beer. It's best done either first or last in the 'three a year' rota.

Spinko
05-11-2023, 05:31
Cardiff is a bit of a trek by any mode of transport from here.

I'd support Cambridge again.

My new job gives me all of December off (paid :whistle: ) so I've a calendar to fill too!

Bucking Fastard
21-11-2023, 16:09
BUMP.

From reading back through this thread it seems the options mentioned are Bath, Cambridge,Cardiff and Lewes. How about a poll for the venue first,and once decided a poll for the date in March or April avoiding Easter but allowing for consideration of date issues if the chosen venue is subject to rugby,horse racing or rail replacement problems on specific days ?

Tris39
21-11-2023, 16:33
BUMP.

Sounds like a good idea.

Quinno
21-11-2023, 16:38
I've posted it. I've done them all before so happy with wherever.

I'm happy to organise Bath as I know it well and have a crawl ready-to-test in a fortnight with a couple of pals.

Mobyduck
21-11-2023, 16:52
BUMP.

From reading back through this thread it seems the options mentioned are Bath, Cambridge,Cardiff and Lewes. How about a poll for the venue first,and once decided a poll for the date in March or April avoiding Easter but allowing for consideration of date issues if the chosen venue is subject to rugby,horse racing or rail replacement problems on specific days ?

Yep, lets crack on.

Quinno
21-11-2023, 17:47
Poll be here

http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?42103-Venue-for-Spring-2024-PuG-crawl-The-South