PDA

View Full Version : Rugby ( the place, not the game)

Gann
09-10-2023, 07:51
As rail engineering work has scuppered the planned trip to Cambridge and I missed Harrogate I am getting twitchy for a rail away day.

So this morning I did some searching for cheap rail tickets to the Midlands and booked a day trip to Rugby for Wednesday 29th November, primarily because
1) I missed the official PuG trip to Rugby a few years back and haven’t been for several years.
2) I could get advanced singles each way at sensible times for under the current price of pint of ale in a Euston pub.( granted with old fogies rail card)
3) The date fits for when the misses is in Bath doing the Christmas markets and I won’t be confined to the spare bedroom when I get home.

More than happy if any PuG contributors want to tag along.

Quinno
09-10-2023, 19:25
I'll be in court that day (jury, not defendant!)

Spinko
10-10-2023, 07:43
I'll be in court that day (jury, not defendant!)

Enjoy...I did mine late May.

trainman
10-10-2023, 09:01
Good luck getting past the Seven Stars! (camra discount applies til ~17:00)

Mobyduck
11-10-2023, 19:42
As rail engineering work has scuppered the planned trip to Cambridge and I missed Harrogate I am getting twitchy for a rail away day.

So this morning I did some searching for cheap rail tickets to the Midlands and booked a day trip to Rugby for Wednesday 29th November, primarily because
1) I missed the official PuG trip to Rugby a few years back and haven’t been for several years.
2) I could get advanced singles each way at sensible times for under the current price of pint of ale in a Euston pub.( granted with old fogies rail card)
3) The date fits for when the misses is in Bath doing the Christmas markets and I won’t be confined to the spare bedroom when I get home.

I will bear this in mind Steve,I can currently get return travel for under 40 quid which is good enough, it will mean at least one day off work for me and in reality probably two :lol: No promises at this point.
Upon the collapse of the southern crawl I have now booked two nights in Sheffield on Fri 20 and Sat 21 returning home on the 4pm something train on Sunday, so some serious pubbing ahead, aided and abetted by Big Steve and looking forward to linking up with Will and Retired Martin.

Gann
12-10-2023, 11:13

Yes,which is why I will be leaving that one till the return to the station leg to give some others a fighting chance.
Most noticeably The Merchants Inn (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/57333/) and Raglan Arms (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/37222/), which seems to have been taken over by Black Country Ales since the official PuG visit some 10 years ago now...

Gann
12-10-2023, 11:16
I will bear this in mind Steve,I can currently get return travel for under 40 quid which is good enough, it will mean at least one day off work for me and in reality probably two :lol: No promises at this point.

OK let us know nearer the time. With seven city centre venues in the recently published GBG24 I dont think we will be bored..

Spinko
13-10-2023, 04:20
Upon the collapse of the southern crawl I have now booked two nights in Sheffield on Fri 20 and Sat 21 returning home on the 4pm something train on Sunday, so some serious pubbing ahead, aided and abetted by Big Steve and looking forward to linking up with Will and Retired Martin.

Any space for a gatecrasher? :whistle:

Mobyduck
13-10-2023, 05:40
Any space for a gatecrasher? :whistle:

Of course, anyone is welcome. Assuming you mean Sheffield as opposed to Rugby, I will arriving in Sheff 12.42 on the Friday and likely straight into the Tap, the rest is still in planning.

Spinko
13-10-2023, 13:00
Of course, anyone is welcome. Assuming you mean Sheffield as opposed to Rugby, I will arriving in Sheff 12.42 on the Friday and likely straight into the Tap, the rest is still in planning.

Thanks.

Friday I'll be working in Stockton. But it's a very straightforward drive for the Saturday morning to Sheffield. Hotel prices will be the key. I'm averse to paying £100+ for a noisy room that was quiet and £30 midweek!

(Although I've got my redundancy pay on the way shortly)

Mobyduck
13-10-2023, 19:49
Thanks.

Friday I'll be working in Stockton. But it's a very straightforward drive for the Saturday morning to Sheffield. Hotel prices will be the key. I'm averse to paying £100+ for a noisy room that was quiet and £30 midweek!

(Although I've got my redundancy pay on the way shortly)

Nothing too cheap on a Saturday, paid £189 for 2 nights Fri - Sat stay, would have been £77 cheaper Thurs-Fri but Steve couldn't make the Thursday.

Spinko
15-10-2023, 04:39
I should be there on the Saturday. Something to look forward to after a week in the new job :whistle:

Mobyduck
15-10-2023, 04:43
I should be there on the Saturday. Something to look forward to after a week in the new job :whistle:
I'll message you either Friday night or Saturday morning with some sort of plan.

Spinko
15-10-2023, 06:20
I'll message you either Friday night or Saturday morning with some sort of plan.

Thanks. I'm an early waker so I suspect it'll be Wethers second breakfast or Sheffield Tap before noon. I'm mobile so don't mind a trek out if the centre has been ticked on the Friday.

Mobyduck
15-10-2023, 08:32
Sorry Steve I'll try to stop Hijacking your thread now. :o:D

Spinko
19-10-2023, 12:30

Sheffield is now on Amber rain warning :mad: - my hotel is cancelled. It was bad enough driving Newcastle to Stockton this morning!

Mobyduck
19-10-2023, 12:39
Oh dear, that's a shame, maybe next time.

rpadam
24-10-2023, 21:46

I thought I had replied to this a week or two ago (but can't now find any evidence...), but I hope to be in Rugby that day.

Gann
26-10-2023, 15:14
I thought I had replied to this a week or two ago (but can't now find any evidence...), but I hope to be in Rugby that day.

Jolly good...

My train gets in at 11.46 and I was planning to get some scoff in The Rupert Brooke (JD Wetherspoon) (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/56989/) before heading off for The Squirrel (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/37236/) and The Merchants Inn (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/57333/)

Mobyduck
26-10-2023, 18:46
Jolly good...

My train gets in at 11.46 and I was planning to get some scoff in The Rupert Brooke (JD Wetherspoon) (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/56989/) before heading off for The Squirrel (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/37236/) and The Merchants Inn (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/57333/)

Haven't made my mind up yet but tempted.

Gann
27-10-2023, 09:24
How was Sheffield? Did you meet up with Will ?

Spinko
27-10-2023, 15:30

I think retired Martin has to get his blog out first in about three weeks :whistle:

Mobyduck
27-10-2023, 19:35

Sheffield was great, the travel to and from not so, a 4hr and a bit journey up on Friday turned into a 9 hr one via Doncaster (thanks Babet), and the return was challenging on the Sunday with all trains south from Sheffield cancelled we had to get home via Manchester, not so bad but 6hrs. Yes met up with Will and Retired Martin plus Mrs Retired Martin for a very good Friday evening session, left to my own devices on Saturday with Big Steve who sensibly retired to the hotel a lot earlier than I in the evening, I of course made a pig of myself.
Over two days 17 pubs two visited twice and eight new ticks. I've realised at this stage of life a Winfield is beyond me, even over two days. :D
As I said tempted to do Rugby , just need to sort out with work.

Thuck Phat
30-10-2023, 09:13
Yes,which is why I will be leaving that one till the return to the station leg to give some others a fighting chance.
Most noticeably The Merchants Inn (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/57333/) and Raglan Arms (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/37222/), which seems to have been taken over by Black Country Ales since the official PuG visit some 10 years ago now...

I've been to both the Merchants and the Stars in the past week or so (and fairly regularly anyway). Both are very good and should easily sustain a session given the variety and quality of beers although I think the Stars has shaded it over the past couple of years so I'd aim to leave plenty of time, and capacity, to enjoy it if possible.

As you say, the Raglan is now a Black Country boozer but, as with many of them, does have a reasonable selection of guests (or did the last time I was in).

The Rugby Tap is a micro which has changed hands from the original founder and I haven't been in since but it's close to the Raglan, on the way and was always worth a visit.

Aside from that the Squirrel is something of an institution and although it won't have the most exciting ale selection they're always well kept and it's small size tends to guarantee a good atmosphere and The Victoria, just out of the town centre but not far from the Squirrel, tends to have a wide selection and is a quality Victorian boozer.

I'd like to join you for some or all of it but the diary's still a bit uncertain.

Mobyduck
08-11-2023, 21:22
I will be joining you Steve along with Big Steve, train tickets booked, arriving 10:45, departing 19:04.

Thuck Phat
09-11-2023, 06:59

CAMRA discount no longer unfortunately. Tipsy Tuesdays now - 10 pints and get the 11th free. Doesn’t have to be all on the same Tuesday but the 29th is a Wednesday.

Gann
10-11-2023, 11:52
I will be joining you Steve along with Big Steve, train tickets booked, arriving 10:45, departing 19:04.

Thats great news.
As I mentioned I will arrive at 11.42 and depart at 19.47, primarily because the 10.46 out of Euston will allow me to use my Lord Mayors free Oyster and get the first “non Twirly” train from Winchmore Hill into town.
I am guessing that you will aim for The Rupert Brook at that time of morning for Brunch. I should be able to get there by 12 noon.
My only real target is to do the six central pubs that are in the GBG2024. The 7th entry is a club, but it doesn’t open till 8.00pm on weekdays so unfortunately out.
The only challenge is that the Norwich Tap and the Victoria do not open till 4.00pm on weekdays so will need to be last.
Although I was planning to leave the Seven Stars till last, as you are on an earlier train I suggest doing this first after the ‘Spoons so that we can do it justice.
I am also happy to just visit the Rupert Brook for a swift half and catch some more traditional pub fayre as we go round (do they call them rolls or baps in Rugby ?)
With that in mind I have knocked up the attached as a proposal but happy to modify it..

Gann
10-11-2023, 11:54
Of course I meant Rugby Tap..... still dreaming about The Fat Cat

rpadam
10-11-2023, 17:14
Due to arrive at 11:13...

Mobyduck
10-11-2023, 18:34
Thats great news.
As I mentioned I will arrive at 11.42 and depart at 19.47, primarily because the 10.46 out of Euston will allow me to use my Lord Mayors free Oyster and get the first “non Twirly” train from Winchmore Hill into town.
I am guessing that you will aim for The Rupert Brook at that time of morning for Brunch. I should be able to get there by 12 noon.
My only real target is to do the six central pubs that are in the GBG2024. The 7th entry is a club, but it doesn’t open till 8.00pm on weekdays so unfortunately out.
The only challenge is that the Norwich Tap and the Victoria do not open till 4.00pm on weekdays so will need to be last.
Although I was planning to leave the Seven Stars till last, as you are on an earlier train I suggest doing this first after the ‘Spoons so that we can do it justice.
I am also happy to just visit the Rupert Brook for a swift half and catch some more traditional pub fayre as we go round (do they call them rolls or baps in Rugby ?)
With that in mind I have knocked up the attached as a proposal but happy to modify it..

Happy to go with the flow and haven't done any research yet, not keen on Spoons but if that's the only option..... , will probably find a greasy spoon before that.

Gann
11-11-2023, 11:34
Due to arrive at 11:13...

More good news.

How about we say we meet in the Seven Stars at 12.00 noon then when it is scheduled to open.

Gann
11-11-2023, 11:36
Happy to go with the flow and haven't done any research yet, not keen on Spoons but if that's the only option..... , will probably find a greasy spoon before that.

I’m not fussed about the ‘Spoons either so let’s say meet in the Seven Stars when it is scheduled to open

Mobyduck
11-11-2023, 11:37
I’m not fussed about the ‘Spoons either so let’s say meet in the Seven Stars when it is scheduled to open

Sounds good to me.

Bucking Fastard
12-11-2023, 09:08
I see that Will has found a new venue in Rugby,Inside the 22 (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/91541/) which needs reviewing and a photo.

Are you lads going to Rugby feeling brave ?

On the way to or from The Raglan.

Enjoy the day,wish I could join you but I'm out on the same day in Cambridge on a substantial crawl .

Mobyduck
12-11-2023, 09:32
I see that Will has found a new venue in Rugby,Inside the 22 (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/91541/) which needs reviewing and a photo.

Who knows, Dutch courage is a funny thing.

rpadam
12-11-2023, 10:18

Ooh, there's a challenge that needs responding to (assuming that I'm still up for that when it opens at 17:00)!

sheffield hatter
12-11-2023, 11:55

Yes, I was doing a little virtual exploration in hope of finding some justification for the massive outlay in train fares and time that it would take for me to get to Rugby.

Looking at my notebook from 2014, the last time we had a Pubs Galore crawl in Rugby, it took me just short of two hours on the train to get there, and just over 90 minutes to get back to Sheffield, at a total cost of £17.70. Since then the trains from Tamworth to Rugby have been retimed so that instead of waiting there for 15 minutes it is now 50 minutes, and the total journey is now 2 hours 26 minutes. The return journey, in contrast, is almost exactly the same duration as it was nine years ago.

Surprisingly, the cost of the fares has not gone up by as much as I thought - just an extra £2.70. So, perhaps I'll be coming to this one after all.

Mobyduck
12-11-2023, 12:15
Yes, I was doing a little virtual exploration in hope of finding some justification for the massive outlay in train fares and time that it would take for me to get to Rugby.

Looking at my notebook from 2014, the last time we had a Pubs Galore crawl in Rugby, it took me just short of two hours on the train to get there, and just over 90 minutes to get back to Sheffield, at a total cost of £17.70. Since then the trains from Tamworth to Rugby have been retimed so that instead of waiting there for 15 minutes it is now 50 minutes, and the total journey is now 2 hours 26 minutes. The return journey, in contrast, is almost exactly the same duration as it was nine years ago.

Surprisingly, the cost of the fares has not gone up by as much as I thought - just an extra £2.70. So, perhaps I'll be coming to this one after all.

That would be great if you can.

rpadam
12-11-2023, 13:45
Have you tried splitting tickets at Derby (as that's often the cheapest way to travel between West Midlands and Sheffield or vice versa)?

oldboots
12-11-2023, 15:19
Have you tried splitting tickets at Derby (as that's often the cheapest way to travel between West Midlands and Sheffield or vice versa)?
Is the Derbyshire Wayfarer still available? Cheap travel from Sheffield as far as Burton.

Thuck Phat
13-11-2023, 06:39

Enjoy the day,wish I could join you but I'm out on the same day in Cambridge on a substantial crawl .

Been meaning to do this for a while but every time I’ve looked in nothing on the taps has appealed and just haven’t felt strong enough to sacrifice myself. I’ll never make a prolific reviewer.

Gann
13-11-2023, 14:23

From what I can see it is literally a minute up the road from the Rugby Tap and we would be walking past in anyway on the way to the Victoria. As we have ditched the 'Spoons we have a generous hour in each of the remaining 6 target pubs and could easily slip this one in. However I dont think it will retain us long as looking at the google pictures I cant see anything interesting on the taps either, but they might have a few interesting crafty cans.

Gann
13-11-2023, 14:25

Would be great to see you as well Will.............. and go on, you know you want to :cheers:

Mobyduck
13-11-2023, 21:31
Is the Derbyshire Wayfarer still available? Cheap travel from Sheffield as far as Burton.

It was two years ago and conveyed me from The Sheffield tap to The Coopers Tavern for about 13 quid.

sheffield hatter
14-11-2023, 15:09

Yes, that's what I'll be using to make my Rugby tickets affordable. It's £7.70 for those over pension age, but it can no longer be bought in advance. Full details here (https://www.derbyshire.gov.uk/transport-roads/public-transport/fares-tickets-passes/rover-tickets/derbyshire-wayfarer/the-derbyshire-wayfarer-rover-ticket.aspx).

sheffield hatter
14-11-2023, 15:11

Yes, I often do that if going to Bristol, for example. But for a day trip the Derbyshire Wayfarer is best as it is valid as far as Burton, and it's good coming back too.

rpadam
14-11-2023, 21:33
Yes, I often do that if going to Bristol, for example. But for a day trip the Derbyshire Wayfarer is best as it is valid as far as Burton, and it's good coming back too.
Fair enough!

trainman
17-11-2023, 12:32
I wouldn't mind tagging along on 29th if there's room on the charra...

sheffield hatter
17-11-2023, 16:26

I can't speak for Steve, whose gig this is, but it would be a pleasure to see you, Jim.

Mobyduck
17-11-2023, 17:12
I can't speak for Steve, whose gig this is, but it would be a pleasure to see you, Jim.
Seconded by me, it's been a while Jim.

Gann
20-11-2023, 09:50

It's an open house Jim, would be lovely to see you.. If so, your job Jim, should you accept it, is to move us on from the Seven Stars.....:)

Thuck Phat
26-11-2023, 11:06
From what I can see it is literally a minute up the road from the Rugby Tap and we would be walking past in anyway on the way to the Victoria. As we have ditched the 'Spoons we have a generous hour in each of the remaining 6 target pubs and could easily slip this one in. However I dont think it will retain us long as looking at the google pictures I cant see anything interesting on the taps either, but they might have a few interesting crafty cans.

Reviewed here (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/91541/).

Inside 22 or another pint or another pint at the Stars?

Mobyduck
26-11-2023, 11:09

Probably the latter.

sheffield hatter
26-11-2023, 13:37

Thanks for the review and photo. Saves us having to pop in. Unless anyone fancies a coffee?

Gann
27-11-2023, 10:16

Very good review and thanks, it will be more time in the other venues because of that.
As well as many fewer drinking establishments we also have many fewer live music venues pre covid as well so it should be applauded as a new entry providing both, despite not being your average PuG reviewers cup of tea (or coffee)

trainman
30-11-2023, 12:00
Great to join the fine company in a scoot around Rugby yesterday, thank you, sorry if I failed the task of moving us quickly on from the Seven Stars but, seriously, why rush from there, and we managed the shortlist anyway. Also it meant that a) Will caught us up and b) 2846gave me the pleasure of briefly meeting Charlie (Thuck Phat) and Pete.
No doubt I was chatting much bollox en route but, for those worried about a certain topic, fear not! Supplies have arrived, 2846

And for those who really have not watched Early Doors, give it a go!, available on iplayer.

Gann
30-11-2023, 13:47
Yes a fine day and many thanks to you for joining me on my little trip.
Five very fine traditional pubs and an OK micro and some very good ales all the way round.
Jim and I sneaked back to the Seven Stars for a final cheeky haif before heading to the station so all in all a great day.

And we will leave the discussion to whether Charlie's electric bike consitutes cycling to another day.

Thuck Phat
30-11-2023, 15:38
And we will leave the discussion to whether Charlie's electric bike consitutes cycling to another day.

Definitely cycling but with a more sedate, gentlemanly level of exertion.

Really enjoyed seeing you all yesterday, glad the pubs and beer were up to scratch and hope the day was great fun.

Mobyduck
30-11-2023, 18:27
Definitely cycling but with a more sedate, gentlemanly level of exertion.

Really enjoyed seeing you all yesterday, glad the pubs and beer were up to scratch and hope the day was great fun.

Always a pleasure to see you Charlie, nice to meet your mate and of course to chew the cud with Jim , Richard, Will and our leader for the day Steve, a smashing day out.

sheffield hatter
30-11-2023, 21:30
Yes, super day out with you guys. Let's not leave it too long to return to Rugby - it's a fine beer town.

Tris39
01-12-2023, 19:15
Shame I missed this in every way. At least you all seem to have had a good time. :cheers:

Mobyduck
01-12-2023, 19:33
Shame I missed this in every way. At least you all seem to have had a good time. :cheers:

Cheap and quick travel from London, bit more for me but well worth the trip.

rpadam
01-12-2023, 19:52
Yes a fine day and many thanks to you for joining me on my little trip.
Five very fine traditional pubs and an OK micro and some very good ales all the way round.
Jim and I sneaked back to the Seven Stars for a final cheeky haif before heading to the station so all in all a great day.

... and thanks to you for raising the idea and getting us (vaguely) organised.

rpadam
10-12-2023, 10:11
Sorry, I meant to upload these sooner...

Mobyduck
10-12-2023, 13:14

A dubious looking bunch.

trainman
10-12-2023, 15:16
trainman performing the benediction, and Richard taking the key-speaker role.
What could go wrong?