PDA

View Full Version : Date for PuG crawl in Cambridge.

Bucking Fastard
05-09-2023, 20:04
Choose the dates that you can join the crawl in Cambridge.

Tris39
19-09-2023, 18:35
Choose the dates that you can join the crawl in Cambridge.

Seems it's Saturday 28th October?

Mobyduck
19-09-2023, 19:13
Seems it's Saturday 28th October?

Well there should be at least 8 of us then. :D

Strongers
19-09-2023, 19:37
I'm about to move house so didn't vote because I didn't know if I'd be available.

As it happens the only dates I defo couldn't do were 27-28th Oct, so decision made for me.

Tris39
21-09-2023, 15:44
I'm about to move house so didn't vote because I didn't know if I'd be available.

As it happens the only dates I defo couldn't do were 27-28th Oct, so decision made for me.

Good to see you've decided to postpone moving house. ;)

Quinno
21-09-2023, 22:49
pencilled in!

Gann
24-09-2023, 06:07
I had it pencilled in but now finding there’s no trains that weekend from London due to engineering work, and due to Saturday morning commitments I’m not sure the snail replacement service would get me to Cambridge at a time to make it worthwhile, so I am now a doubt

rpadam
24-09-2023, 08:08
there’s no trains that weekend from London due to engineering work
That's a real blow for anybody thinking of coming from the south.

Mobyduck
24-09-2023, 08:34

Which would be rather ironic!
The only problem I can see, from the National Rail site, (currently) is a bus replacement from Royston to Cambridge adding 40 mins to the normal journey, unless Steve is seeing something different to me?

Gann
24-09-2023, 08:37
Which would be rather ironic!
The only problem I can see, from the National Rail site, (currently) is a bus replacement from Royston to Cambridge adding 40 mins to the normal journey, unless Steve is seeing something different to me?

No that’s what I am seeing.

But as I can’t leave til lunchtime on Saturdays I was relying on the fast service from Finsbury Park.
Without this it’s questionable if it’s worth it for me. I will wait until the running order is developed and then make a decision

sheffield hatter
24-09-2023, 11:26

Perhaps there needs to be a rethink? What was the second most popular date?

Pangolin
24-09-2023, 11:45

I agree. While still achievable, an extra half-hour journey and the vagaries of a bus transfer is a huge disincentive. Trains seem to be ok on 14 October, which was 2 votes behind??

Mobyduck
24-09-2023, 13:59

I agree. While still achievable, an extra half-hour journey and the vagaries of a bus transfer is a huge disincentive. Trains seem to be ok on 14 October, which was 2 votes behind??

Works for me but a quick decision is required, I'm thinking of stopping over on the Saturday night and things need to be booked.

Tris39
24-09-2023, 16:46

Perhaps it would indeed just be easier to go for the next most popular date and hopefully nip the problem in the bud.

Gann
24-09-2023, 17:24
Can anyone still see who voted for which day ?

If it was two people who voted for 28 but not for 14, but could still do the 14th then that would be an elegant solution

sheffield hatter
24-09-2023, 17:29
I have sent a private message to all who voted for the 28th, asking them to get involved here so that a decision can be made to either change or stick to what was decided. As Mick says, time is pressing if it's going to be two weeks earlier, so that's not a foregone conclusion. November 4th might be another solution.

Does anyone know if the engineering works are just for that weekend?

PS I had to send the message twice as it is not possible to send a PM to more than five recipients! (I copied in Strongers because if those eight agree to change the date, he might be able to attend on whatever date they go for.)

sheffield hatter
24-09-2023, 17:29
Can anyone still see who voted for which day ?

Just click on the number of votes and their names come up.

Tris39
24-09-2023, 17:57
Putting it back to Nov 4th means there's less of a gap between the Autumn and Spring crawls, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Tris39
24-09-2023, 17:59
I have sent a private message to all who voted for the 28th

No PM for me. :(

Mobyduck
24-09-2023, 19:49
To further the conversation, the 14th of Oct is a little close and while works with the trains is not great on the accomodation front for me. The 4th of Nov suffers from the same rail complications as 28th of Oct.

sheffield hatter
24-09-2023, 20:04
No PM for me. :(

Sorry. Looks like the second message didn't work. I've sent it again.

sheffield hatter
25-09-2023, 08:49
I've had a text message from Nev (BF). He's in Crete "with a very poor mobile signal and internet connection" so he can't really contribute to this discussion as it evolves. However, he does say that "Saturday October 14th is fine" with him.

Hope this helps.

Mobyduck
25-09-2023, 08:56
I've had a text message from Nev (BF). He's in Crete "with a very poor mobile signal and internet connection" so he can't really contribute to this discussion as it evolves. However, he does say that "Saturday October 14th is fine" with him.

Hope this helps.
I think maybe we should go for that, maybe wait for some other views over the next 24 hours.

Gann
25-09-2023, 11:37
Does anyone know if the engineering works are just for that weekend?
)

Seems to be the only Saturday in October affected, but looks like it carries on through most of November. Only one Saturday not affected to fate in Nov but they are currently not guaranteeing that one either

Tris39
25-09-2023, 18:55
I think maybe we should go for that, maybe wait for some other views over the next 24 hours.

The thing is, if we bring it back into October, it will be an even longer gap between the Autumn and Spring crawls, probably around five months.

Mobyduck
25-09-2023, 19:35
The thing is, if we bring it back into October, it will be an even longer gap between the Autumn and Spring crawls, probably around five months.

If we go for the 14th, it's an extra 2wks on the planned date of the 28th, who knows whats happening with the bloody trains in the future ( and not just Saturdays) :moremad:, Sounds like Novembers out, if it goes to December it becomes a Winter crawl and that would be five months after the last summer crawl, whatever is decided it needs to be quick, could do with hearing from a couple of more voices.

Pangolin
25-09-2023, 20:57
I voted for both, so I am happy with 14th. And if the 14th had been the top choice, we would have accepted that date anyway so closeness should not be a problem.
Also leaving it until (much) later decreases the chance of reasonable weather.

It looks as though the extra votes for 28th were Spinko and Tris.

Spinko
26-09-2023, 13:30
I start my new job on Monday 16th October which is why I didn't vote for 14th as I want to be 100% on my first day. I'm staying in Newcastle Sunday 15th to Thursday 19th.

Don't let that be a blocker to 14th though if that is the best alternative!

Quinno
27-09-2023, 08:29
14th currently ok for me

Gann
27-09-2023, 09:51
14th is fine for me, but please dont change it just for me if no one else is affected by the lack of direct trains on the 28th

Tris39
27-09-2023, 18:01
Also leaving it until (much) later decreases the chance of reasonable weather.

It looks as though the extra votes for 28th were Spinko and Tris.

Pushing it from 28th forward to 11th November will make negligible difference to the weather, unlike mid-January, but mid-October will mean a gap of five months until the Spring crawl.

Mobyduck
27-09-2023, 18:25
Unfortunately the 11th of Nov has the possibility of engineering works, can't be confirmed as of yet, there are certainly works on the Sunday which will effect me if I decide to stay over, which would be preferable.
By way of comparison last years trip to Burton was held on the 14th of October.

sheffield hatter
27-09-2023, 20:03
Pushing it to 11th November will make negligible difference to the weather, but mid-October will mean a gap of five months until the Spring crawl.

As we only plan three crawls per year, a gap of between five and six months between autumn and spring is normal. (Autumn '22: Oct.14th. Spring '23: Apr.14th. = 6 mths.)

The main difference between 14th and 28th October and 11th November is sunset:

14/10 18:08
28/10 17:38
11/11 16:13

[It makes no difference to me, as I am no longer planning on going to Cambridge, but I thought it might be useful to have some facts.]

Gann
28-09-2023, 09:56
OK lets try and move this forward..

The way I see it currently is that Spinko is buggered if we move it to the 14th, and I am buggered if it stays on the28th.. So enpass and we stay as we are..

Therefore its last call time...

Is anyone else buggered if we move it to the 14th ?

Is anyone else buggered by the rail maintenance work on the 28th?

Speak now or forever hold them firmly...

Mobyduck
28-09-2023, 13:04

The way I see it currently is that Spinko is buggered if we move it to the 14th, and I am buggered if it stays on the28th.. So enpass and we stay as we are..

Therefore its last call time...

Is anyone else buggered if we move it to the 14th ?

Is anyone else buggered by the rail maintenance work on the 28th?

Speak now or forever hold them firmly...
Big Steve is buggered on 14th, but ok for me, 28th is a pain but doable.

Tris39
28-09-2023, 18:17
Big Steve is buggered on 14th, but ok for me, 28th is a pain but doable.

More buggery as I can make any date apart from 13th/14th. Another suggestion: if it's down to railworks, would it not be conceivable to go not for the second most popular date, but the second most popular venue and stick to the 28th, or has everyone bought tickets?

Mobyduck
28-09-2023, 18:52
21st of oct for Cambridge ? Trains are good, only 5 voters, did everyone vote for the only dates they could do or prefered dates ? I can do any saturday realisticly and probably Fridays though means taking time off work. Cardiff at this stage will cost at least an extra 20 quid for me on the trains though not a major issue, I would prefer Cambridge.

Bucking Fastard
28-09-2023, 21:48
I could make Saturday 21st in Cambridge ,and would be prepared to take the rail replacement bus to Cambridge on the 28th October or alternatively go to Cardiff on 28th October if thats any helps .Sounds like the 14th isnt going to work for Big Steve,Tris and Spinko.

Mobyduck
29-09-2023, 05:36
I am buggered if it stays on the28th..
Can you do the 21st?

Tris39
29-09-2023, 18:00
Can you do the 21st?

I can do the 21st, but does this end up putting anyone out in the process?

Mobyduck
29-09-2023, 19:15
I can do the 21st, but does this end up putting anyone out in the process?

Which is really what I was asking here.

21st of oct for Cambridge ? Trains are good, only 5 voters, did everyone vote for the only dates they could do or prefered dates ? I can do any saturday realisticly and probably Fridays though means taking time off work. Cardiff at this stage will cost at least an extra 20 quid for me on the trains though not a major issue, I would prefer Cambridge.

Happy with the 14th but It's literaly around the corner, the 21st gives some small leeway.

Gann
29-09-2023, 20:43
I can do 21st

Mobyduck
29-09-2023, 21:33
I can do 21st

So myself, BF, Gann and Tris have stated they can do 21st (don't know about Big Steve Yet), Quinno, Spinko and RP voted for the date, just missing out Pangolin who didn't vote for it, can you do it Graham? I suggest we make some sort of decision this weekend. plus any views from anyone else interested or I've missed out.

rpadam
30-09-2023, 07:58
Things have got very complicated in my diary, and I can't now do any of the Saturdays between the 1th of October and 4th of November (despite having voted for them at the time).

The Fridays have become almost as difficult too, with the 20th of October being the only free one for me during that time period.

Looks like I'll have to miss this one unfortunately.

Mobyduck
30-09-2023, 08:51
So myself, BF, Gann and Tris have stated they can do 21st (don't know about Big Steve Yet), Quinno, Spinko and RP voted for the date, just missing out Pangolin who didn't vote for it, can you do it Graham? I suggest we make some sort of decision this weekend. plus any views from anyone else interested or I've missed out.

Big Steve can also make 21st.

Pangolin
01-10-2023, 12:17
21st is not good for me at all. Also Cambridge - Peterborough line out this day. Would prefer 28th and put up with rail works.

Quinno
01-10-2023, 12:28
Shall we take an executive decision to postpone this until Feb?

It's looking impossible to find a best-fit date and there are also emergent calls on my diary now so a date I said could do last week may no longer be available next week. I suspect that will be true for a number of us.

Mobyduck
01-10-2023, 13:57

It's looking impossible to find a best-fit date and there are also emergent calls on my diary now so a date I said could do last week may no longer be available next week. I suspect that will be true for a number of us.

Well lets take a decision by tonight, if it's going to be a no show I'll go with quinnos suggestion and a new date poll, as it stands I'm happy with the 21st but we need to make a decision now.

Bucking Fastard
01-10-2023, 15:07

That does now sound sensible.

Tris39
01-10-2023, 18:03
That does now sound sensible.

We could do, but this won't eliminate diary conflicts and/or possible rail disruption come February. And the weather could be terrible.

Quinno
01-10-2023, 23:33
We could do, but this won't eliminate diary conflicts and/or possible rail disruption come February. And the weather could be terrible.

But it will give us a better chance of arranging a date.

sheffield hatter
02-10-2023, 11:47
..but this won't eliminate diary conflicts and/or possible rail disruption come February.

Engineering works causing the same disruption on the same line four months later seems unlikely. Is there a publicly available schedule of such works?

Tris39
02-10-2023, 14:07
Engineering works causing the same disruption on the same line four months later seems unlikely. Is there a publicly available schedule of such works?

Maybe. But these things aren't a one-off. My local tube station is open or closed on an utterly pot luck basis due to engineering works.

Quinno
02-10-2023, 16:52

This goes a couple of months into the future

https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/status-and-disruptions/

Pangolin
03-10-2023, 16:11

Most of the work is for the new station at Cambridge South, which is not scheduled to open until 2025 so could be happening on and off until then.

This was, of course, one of the reasons why Fridays have been preferred to Saturdays. I know that the poll turned up a Saturday as the favourite but perhaps we need to go back to Fridays. And I appreciate that means working folk need to take a day off (as I couldn't on a Friday so didn't attend for many years).

Mobyduck
03-10-2023, 20:32
With no positive date for October being agreed I shall withdraw as I intend a long weekend away this month and need to get things booked. I think a rethink and new poll for date and possibly venue ( or go with Cardiff if Cambridge is going to be unreliable) given the info in Grahams post. Feb - early March maybe.

Spinko
04-10-2023, 07:23
Most of the work is for the new station at Cambridge South, which is not scheduled to open until 2025 so could be happening on and off until then.

This was, of course, one of the reasons why Fridays have been preferred to Saturdays. I know that the poll turned up a Saturday as the favourite but perhaps we need to go back to Fridays. And I appreciate that means working folk need to take a day off (as I couldn't on a Friday so didn't attend for many years).

I've seen rumours while lurking on rail forums that they are considering switching maintenance from weekends, where there's generally a weaker alternative service on other routes, to weekdays - leisure travel has remained strongest while commuting hasn't totally recovered.

Bucking Fastard
06-10-2023, 14:05
With no positive date for October being agreed I shall withdraw as I intend a long weekend away this month and need to get things booked. I think a rethink and new poll for date and possibly venue ( or go with Cardiff if Cambridge is going to be unreliable) given the info in Grahams post. Feb - early March maybe.

Likewise,I have made other arrangements now for October.

How about we push Cambridge back as a venue into 2025,that can be our "southern" choice once this rail engineering work is finished.

Rather than poll again for an alternative southern venue ,why not go with second place Cardiff and poll for Fridays and Saturdays in February and March.With 14 options that would take the date choice up to 16th March ? Any objections ?

Mobyduck
06-10-2023, 19:07
Likewise,I have made other arrangements now for October.

How about we push Cambridge back as a venue into 2025,that can be our "southern" choice once this rail engineering work is finished.

Rather than poll again for an alternative southern venue ,why not go with second place Cardiff and poll for Fridays and Saturdays in February and March.With 14 options that would take the date choice up to 16th March ? Any objections ?

Sounds very sensible, I agree.

sheffield hatter
06-10-2023, 20:36

That makes sense, but shouldn't it be publicised more widely? This thread is - on the face of it - limited to people who were interested in Cambridge this autumn, and who took part in the vote.

How many others are likely to view it?

...why not go with second place Cardiff and poll for Fridays and Saturdays in February and March.With 14 options that would take the date choice up to 16th March ?

Interesting idea! But are you suggesting this as a "late winter/early spring" crawl, to make up for the missing autumn, and with a normal spring one later on (in April, maybe?).

Or maybe pushing our usual April/Spring crawl back to May or even June?

Sorry if I seem critical, but these seem to me to be difficult decisions for people to be making on a forum like this, without the informal discussion, the flow, and the give & take, of a face to face meeting.

Perhaps we should just drop the autumn crawl for this year only, and start planning for a spring crawl as we would have done if autumn had taken place.

Bucking Fastard
09-10-2023, 14:21
That makes sense, but shouldn't it be publicised more widely? This thread is - on the face of it - limited to people who were interested in Cambridge this autumn, and who took part in the vote.

How many others are likely to view it?

Interesting idea! But are you suggesting this as a "late winter/early spring" crawl, to make up for the missing autumn, and with a normal spring one later on (in April, maybe?).

Or maybe pushing our usual April/Spring crawl back to May or even June?

Sorry if I seem critical, but these seem to me to be difficult decisions for people to be making on a forum like this, without the informal discussion, the flow, and the give & take, of a face to face meeting.

Perhaps we should just drop the autumn crawl for this year only, and start planning for a spring crawl as we would have done if autumn had taken place.

It was a great shame that the proposed crawl in Cambridge has fallen by the wayside. I was just trying to move things along but you are correct that the next PuG crawl should have it's own thread for as wide a discussion as possible..