PDA

View Full Version : European Rugby Prediction Games

Millay
03-10-2010, 09:26
With the Premier League prediction game in full swing I wondered if there were any rugby fans out there who fancy a ‘punt’ on the two European cups starting shortly. Or maybe you’re doing so badly that you think you might as well have a go with a different shaped ball :o

They are over a shorter period and require less frequent picks than the football so should not be too onerous. The format is the same for both competitions, group games are played over two weeks in Oct, two in Dec and two in Jan. The Knockout stages are then in April/May next year.

There are two competitions available,

The Heineken Cup is for Europe’s premier rugby teams and starts this Friday 8th October. The Pubs Galore league code is SUESHIGH.

The Amlin European Challenge Cup is for Europe’s second string teams with the first game this Thursday 7th October. The Pubs Galore league code is MOVEHOLE.

All those participating in the Premier League game should get an e-mail invitation, anyone else who wants to join is welcome but please let me know via this forum as I will need to accept the application. The Sportsguru site can be found at this link (http://www.sportguru.co.uk/)

trainman
03-10-2010, 10:07
I saw the invite via sportguru Millay, thanks, but this one's not for me.

RogerB
03-10-2010, 10:18
I'm would probably predict scores that are mathmatically impossible in rugby but I'll take a look. I know that there aren't many 0-0 draws so that's a start.:confused:

Just thought - I have a mate who is quite into rugby so I may seek advice!

Millay
03-10-2010, 12:01
I would probably predict scores that are mathmatically impossible in rugby

The way the scoring works in these games is different to the football where you have to predict an actual score. All you need to do with the rugby ones is to predict who will win and nominate by how many points. You get a point for predicting the winner and bonus points if you get within 5 points either way of the winning margin. Generally people will nominate a winning margin somewhere between 5 and 20 points.

RogerB
05-10-2010, 09:18
Made my guesses (I am loath to call them picks). My mate William Hill gave me a hand! Only 4 takers so far so at least I won't be far off the top place at any stage.

Gann
05-10-2010, 09:37
I'm in for both, although i've had to choose a club for the Amwin Cup...

I've plumped for Harlequins, being another London Club, but as we all sing......

" I'd rather be a Sarrie than a Quin "...........

Strongers
05-10-2010, 09:40
I'd be interested in doing a six nations one next year if they do it, but I think I'll give this one a miss.

Millay
05-10-2010, 19:59
I'm in for both, although i've had to choose a club for the Amwin Cup...

I've plumped for Harlequins, being another London Club, but as we all sing......

" I'd rather be a Sarrie than a Quin "...........

I did the same thing, welcome aboard.

I'd be interested in doing a six nations one next year if they do it, but I think I'll give this one a miss.

OK Strongers. Hoping they might do a Six nations Comp and will look our for it.

Delboy20
05-10-2010, 21:22
Have to say this doesn't really appeal to me - never been interested in "egg chasing"

I will have a quick look though - you never know !

I would be up for the six nations

Delboy20
05-10-2010, 21:35
OK I have signed up. I can guarantee I will finish bottom and any advice would be welcome.

Dave M
05-10-2010, 23:37
I can guarantee I will finish bottom

That sounds like a challenge to me!!

I've signed up and made my first set of picks. I know pretty much nothing about rugby and have decided against getting help from William Hill.

Looking at others picks I fear I may have misjudged Stade Francais v Overmach Parma somewhat.

Conrad
06-10-2010, 12:03
That sounds like a challenge to me!!

I've signed up and made my first set of picks. I know pretty much nothing about rugby and have decided against getting help from William Hill.

Looking at others picks I fear I may have misjudged Stade Francais v Overmach Parma somewhat.
Even with a challenge like that I fear this is out of my league. Particularly given you appear to be trying to score cheeses judging by your comment.

Millay
06-10-2010, 16:09
Delboy and Dave accepted. We therefore have 6 for the Heineken and 4 for the Amlin unless there are any late entrants. Top 10 finish guaranteed ;)

Dave M
08-10-2010, 00:02
Particularly given you appear to be trying to score cheeses judging by your comment.

Yes, I think I would do better with cheeses, my fears were certainly confirmed on that game. I predicted Overmach Parma to win by a 33 point margin - they in fact lost the game 57-6. Oops.

RogerB
08-10-2010, 08:17
I'm currently bottom of the table and it hasn't even kicked off yet. :(

hondo
25-10-2010, 06:48
http://www.sportguru.co.uk/autumn/

Millay
26-10-2010, 10:53
http://www.sportguru.co.uk/autumn/

Yes, I spotted that Hondo, and have just set up a PG league for anyone interested. I'll start a new thread about it to avoid confusion.

Millay
05-12-2010, 06:37
Just a quick reminder that these competitions start again shortly. Amlin on Thursday 9th, Heineken on Friday then games at the weekend. Think there may be some next weekend as well.