PDA

View Full Version : Bath pubs

Maldenman
02-10-2010, 09:32
I could well be on for a trip to Bath from 16th-17th November. Any must do pubs? I'll be looking at about a dozen or so over the course of the stay. Any suggestions appreciated. Also is there anywhere decent close to Twerton Park?

an_ecumenical_matter
02-10-2010, 10:01
Reasonable pub near Twerton Park is the Royal Oak. Filthy dirty though with miserable staff and gets wedged before Bath City games. http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/146/

Better pub is uphill at Shophouse Road, http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/200/

Conrad
02-10-2010, 10:30
Royal Oak (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?572-Bath) was mentioned in this thread along with some others.

Maldenman
02-10-2010, 10:43
Ok thanks to you both, I've since found a good few reviews by RobCamra which should be pretty reliable.

I asked about a Twerton pub as I will be going to the game and wanted somewhere nearby for a last quick one. If I recall it's a fair old drag from town to Twerton, uphill as well. I assume there's a frequent bus.

Edit: The White Horse looks ok from the website, no reviews or photos yet though.

hopwas
02-10-2010, 10:49
Ok thanks to you both, I've since found a good few reviews by RobCamra which should be pretty reliable.

I asked about a Twerton pub as I will be going to the game and wanted somewhere nearby for a last quick one. If I recall it's a fair old drag from town to Twerton, uphill as well. I assume there's a frequent bus.

So you are going to Bath V Altrincham then? I visited Twerton Park in 2000 where we drew 0-0 and not visited any pubs through, only in clubhouse.

Maldenman
02-10-2010, 10:57
So you are going to Bath V Altrincham then?

Yep, we were initially disappointed when the fixtures somehow put that as a midweek game, but since decided to go anyway as we may not get another chance one way or another.

Quinno
02-10-2010, 10:57
Reasonable pub near Twerton Park is the Royal Oak. Filthy dirty though with miserable staff and gets wedged before Bath City games. http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/146/

They were very friendly when I went there a few months back!

hopwas
02-10-2010, 11:03
Yep, we were initially disappointed when the fixtures somehow put that as a midweek game, but since decided to go anyway as we may not get another chance one way or another.

Lucky we don't have midweek game on that week.

However I am going to Darlington on 9th Nov, never been there so it will be new experience on pub-wise :lol::cheers::nishelypished:

Maldenman
02-10-2010, 11:11
Our game at Tamworth has now been moved to the Sunday due to TV, likely to have put a stop to that trip unfortunately.

hopwas
02-10-2010, 11:24
Our game at Tamworth has now been moved to the Sunday due to TV, likely to have put a stop to that trip unfortunately.

I wasn't happy with televised Tamworth Vs Newport on Thursday night since I play darts on Thursday nights. Lucky I told my captain in advance so he gave me "night off"

Will be going to Tam Vs Alty on Sunday, good excuse for piss up beforehand in Silk Kite :)

ROBCamra
02-10-2010, 11:41
I've since found a good few reviews by RobCamra which should be pretty reliable.

Are you sure you mean me? Reliable maybe, pretty - no chance!! :D

Maldenman
02-10-2010, 19:25
Are you sure you mean me? Reliable maybe, pretty - no chance!! :D

Aww Rob :love:

Quinno
03-10-2010, 16:15
They were very friendly when I went there a few months back!

Thinking further, the White Horse at Twerton is very good - better than the Royal Oak (which is dirty and unkempt)

Maldenman
03-10-2010, 17:06
Thinking further, the White Horse at Twerton is very good - better than the Royal Oak (which is dirty and unkempt)

Starting to get that vibe a bit so will probably use The White Horse for a pre or more likely post match pint......pre match is optimistic, we never make kick off......hotel is in Henrietta St so looks walkable back but I reckon we'll need another couple en route. 12 on the list for the trip with a reserve of four.

Blackthorn
06-10-2010, 15:39
There's quite a few decent ones around the centre of Bath. The Old Green Tree is the obvious one, but there's also The Volunteer Rifleman's Arms and the Couer De Lion. The Griffin Inn is a little further out but only a few minutes walk. If you want something a bit more upmarket/gastropubby you could try the Garrick's Head.

Nearer Twerton you could try The Dolphin. Nothing fantastic, but if it's a nice day there's a patio next to the river.

hopwas
06-10-2010, 17:12
There's quite a few decent ones around the centre of Bath. The Old Green Tree is the obvious one, but there's also The Volunteer Rifleman's Arms and the Couer De Lion. The Griffin Inn is a little further out but only a few minutes walk. If you want something a bit more upmarket/gastropubby you could try the Garrick's Head.

Nearer Twerton you could try The Dolphin. Nothing fantastic, but if it's a nice day there's a patio next to the river.

Bit too late now. Maldenman has already gone to bath yesterday.

Al 10000
06-10-2010, 17:47
I would agree with Blackthorn about the Old Green Tree,when me and my wife went to Bath we did 17 pubs and this was by far the best one we went in.

Blackthorn
07-10-2010, 08:30
Bit too late now. Maldenman has already gone to bath yesterday.

He said he was going on the 16th/17th November?

Maldenman
07-10-2010, 11:53
He said he was going on the 16th/17th November?

I am. I reckon Hoppy is looking at an old fixture list, our game at Bath was moved.

My current list is: Bell, Couer de Lion, Garricks Head, Old Green Tree, Raven, Salamander, Star, Volunteer Riflemans Arms, Griffin, Pig and Fiddle, Hop Poles and The White Horse (Twerton). The reserve list includes The Boater, The Barley...both near hotel, King William and Alehouse.

Blackthorn
07-10-2010, 18:47
I forgot about The Salamander and The Raven, both good choices.

I don't know the last three on your list, I shall have to check those out myself (my excuse is I don't actually live in Bath, but about 20 miles away!).

Conrad
08-10-2010, 13:41
I forgot about The Salamander and The Raven, both good choices.

I don't know the last three on your list, I shall have to check those out myself (my excuse is I don't actually live in Bath, but about 20 miles away!).
Used to be one of my regulars growing up in Bath. Was a very different pub then (as was the Garricks Head) I keep on meaning to try it again one day now it is Bath Ales.

Maldenman
27-10-2010, 15:38
Well would you just believe it, due to Bath managing to lose to the Dog and Duck reserve team last night in the cup, the game has moved for the third time to Saturday 6th November :moremad:

Well what to do, lose the deposit on the hotel plus the train ticket price?
Still go, and have 2 hours more pub time?

I reckon I need a holiday.

trainman
27-10-2010, 17:33
Well would you just believe it, the game has moved for the third time to Saturday 6th November

Well what to do, lose the deposit on the hotel plus the train ticket price?

That's bollocks isn't it? No thought whatsoever given to fans who may have pre-planned time off and/or paid for travel and accommodation. Grrrr!!!

Maldenman
27-10-2010, 17:38
There's a few it seems judging by the football forum. Argument will be that it's an easier trip on a Saturday especially for part time players. I'm still likely to go seeing as train and hotel booked, not sure about the other lad though.

Maldenman
16-11-2010, 00:01
Still game on. Hitting Bath around 2pm. A fair few on the list.

I reckon on a 2-2 draw. Flaming bookies won't take it.

Maldenman
17-11-2010, 20:11
Back home, survived the crap hotel and amazingly terrible Indian restaurant, brilliant pubs, lovely city, friendly people, 15 pubs, 18 pints, most pubs top drawer, some worthy of the best ever league. Loads of reviews to do , I suspect some new photos, taken loads but missed some, due to A4 traffic, some changes and additions too. Loved the place, despite fog then constant rain, hopefully we can return next year and see a football match too.

RogerB
10-01-2011, 13:13
Was just thinking about Bath for a 50th Birthday session in a few weeks (I could even imaginatively call it my 50th Bathday Party - has a nice ring to it). Any updates or tips since this thread was last functioning? I seem to have an initial batch of 28 pubs which will need trimming down for a day long session (on a Sunday). I may even have the Monday off and do an overnighter but not sure about the rest of my posse.

Blackthorn
17-01-2011, 15:45
The Assembly Inn might be worth a go. Recently refurbished according to the local Camra mag, and owned by Bath's only brewery (Abbey Ales).

Haven't tried it myself recently though.

RogerB
17-01-2011, 16:00
I'm all booked up and have whittled the list down to 12 - Royal Oak, Hop Pole, New Inn, King of Wessex, Griffin, Salamander, Raven, Star, Bell, Old Green Tree, Volunteer Riflemans and Coeur de Lion. I have 3 or 4 reserves just in case! If any of you West Country folk are around Bath on 6 Feb and fancy tagging along for a couple of ales, you are more than welcome.

Dave M
17-01-2011, 18:26
If any of you West Country folk are around Bath on 6 Feb and fancy tagging along for a couple of ales, you are more than welcome.
I don't think I have any plans for that day so I'll try to pop over for a couple of pints.

an_ecumenical_matter
17-01-2011, 18:48
Its Bristol beer festival ticket sales day that Sunday so I'll be about. Might round up Gazebo,Fat Beer badger and a few others. Blackthorn and Paris Hilton,you'd be welcome. Turn it into a PG mini meetup.

RogerB
17-01-2011, 22:16
Excellent. I haven't had much response from my usual crawlers who don't fancy such a session on a Sunday so there will only be a couple of us making the trip at the moment. At the risk of being Billy No-Mates for the day, anything to swell the numbers for a few pubs is good by me!

Blackthorn
18-01-2011, 10:15
It's Mrs B's birthday on the Friday, so I think we might be away for the weekend. On the other hand, perhaps that would be a nice suprise for her birthday, a day trip to Bath to meet up with you lot!

RogerB
18-01-2011, 10:28
On the other hand, perhaps that would be a nice suprise for her birthday, a day trip to Bath to meet up with you lot!

A surprise maybe. Nice? Hmmm.

Conrad
18-01-2011, 15:33
Me and Mrs C should be around so hopefully can pop over. It may be easier for me to drive so I may be on the softs, but always like visiting Bath.

RogerB
18-01-2011, 16:00
Excellent. I just hope you're not all expecting me to cart a giant birthday cake around with me.

RogerB
31-01-2011, 09:13
Just a reminder to anyone still thinking of popping along that I'm all booked up and will be arriving in Bath at 11.38 on Sunday. Will be heading for the Royal Oak initially for opening time and then back to town via the Hop Pole before doing the more central pubs. If anyone who hasn't got my mobile wants it to find out where we are at any given time then please PM me. Hopefully see a couple of old (and new) faces. My train back is at 20.13 so plenty of time to sample the pub and city delights.

Quinno
31-01-2011, 14:03
Looks like I may well be coming as that weekend looks clear at the moment, just need to double-check with Mrs Quinno!

Will book a train out arriving 10:41 and departing 20:13.

RogerB
31-01-2011, 14:17
Excellent - bear in mind that, as far as I know, there aren't any pubs that will be open before noon (except presumably 'Spoons!) hence we won't be there until just before. Mind you, the City is worth wandering around even without a pint.

an_ecumenical_matter
31-01-2011, 15:04
All noted. There is a connection off that 1138 arrival to Oldfield Park station which the Royal oak is 3 minutes downhill from but its not until 1222(same platform at Bath Spa station) so you'll probably be quicker walking. I hope to be on the 1215 arrival at Bath,so I'll be a bit behind ye.

RogerB
06-02-2011, 08:05
I'm on the road! I will be flying the colours in my PG t-shirt in case there is anyone who is looking for me and doesn't know me. I may even have an "I am 50" helium balloon tied to my head after the first 10 pubs.

Millay
06-02-2011, 08:10
I'm on the road! I will be flying the colours in my PG t-shirt in case there is anyone who is looking for me and doesn't know me. I may even have an "I am 50" helium balloon tied to my head after the first 10 pubs.

You and Father Jack in the same City :eek::eek:

I think I'll stay in the relative safety of the Shires today. Hope you have a great day though Roger :bemerry::cheers:

RogerB
06-02-2011, 08:25
You and Father Jack in the same City :eek::eek:

It's been done before and the world's still turning!

Maldenman
06-02-2011, 09:19
Have a good day out Roger, I enjoyed Bath thoroughly. Just don't go into an Indian restaurant up a flight of stairs over a shop that's all!

Quinno
06-02-2011, 10:00

Due to me needing some extra Z's I will be departing 10:37 now, arriving 11:38....will you be en route to somewhere by then or still in the centre?

Conrad
06-02-2011, 18:15
Good to see you there Roger, hopefully you are still out enjoying your beers now.

I look forward to the tales of the day, having only made 4 of the pubs (1 of which none of you managed, well not the inside anyway ;))

RogerB
07-02-2011, 09:11
An excellent day (apart from the grumpy git at the Royal Oak who refused to open for us - he should pop into the Griffin for a course on customer care!). Didn't quite manage to tick off all the pubs but had a great time trying and it leaves a good excuse to return, should such an excuse be necessary.

Thanks to all the guys (and girl) that showed up or contributed with recommendations. Everyone seemed to have a different opinion on their favourite pub which shows what a diverse and eclectic bunch of pubs we found.

We managed to lose Father Jack after the Bell when he was diverted by a temptress in a kebab shop so unfortunately he missed out on an excellent curry (we did save you a seat) in a quite palatial curry house that we were steered towards by a guy outside the Volunteer Riflemans. It cost us a bit of drinking time although some members were beginning to flag a bit by then anyway.

Managed to get home without breaking any bones and even Quinno remembered to get off at Reading (I wouldn't have managed). I actually feel quite chirpy this morning and was even in work before 9.

Once again, thanks to all who helped me start the second half of my century. Just 10 years to think about what to do for my Sixtieth! :eek:

Maldenman
07-02-2011, 09:26
unfortunately he missed out on an excellent curry (we did save you a seat) in a quite palatial curry house

Most certainly not the one I ended up in! :sick:

RogerB
07-02-2011, 10:02
It was called the Eastern Eye, 8A Quiet Street if you find yourself in Bath again looking for a decent ruby!

Quinno
07-02-2011, 10:56
Indeed it was a cracking curry!

We never did find the Old Green Tree in the end, despite me asking every passer-by who didn't look like a tourist. It probably didn't help that we were quite tiddly by then!

RogerB
07-02-2011, 11:26
Forgot the Couer De Lion as well. Maybe next time...

For the record our journey around town (and my personal consumptions) took us to...

Royal Oak - was there at Noon - wouldn't open for us so we moved on to...
Hop Pole (Bath Barnstormer)
New Inn (Wadworth 125 Stout)
The Griffin (was actually closed but they let us in anyway!) (Bristol Beer Factory Acer as recommended by Fthr Jack)
The Raven (Raven Gold)
The Salamander (Bath Festivity)
The Star (Abbey Bellringer)
The Bell (Dorset Durdle Door)
Pig & Fiddle (walked in and straight back out - too rammed!)
Rifleman Volunteer (Cotswold Spring (I think) Honey Bear
Royal Hotel (last gasp pint before train arrived) (Hobgoblin)

My own personal favourite pub was probably the Star - good old fashioned rambling multi room pub with wooden interior, open fires, subdued lighting, little nooks and crannies and knowledgeable barmaid! Could have stayed there all night. Best beer is a tough call - probably opt for the Honey Bear with Acer and 125 Stout close behind.