PDA

View Full Version : Three quarters of a pint - take it or leave it?

Dave M
20-09-2009, 15:46
Ok, I am a bit of a real ale novice and was faced with a situation I wasn't sure how to deal with recently.

Went into a pub, only one real ale on - thankfully a Bath Gem which I like so ordered that. Sadly the barrel empties when my pint is three quarters full.

My choice was this, order something from the other usual 'tap tosh', or maybe a bottle of Newcastle Brown (one of my standbys for places with no real ale) or do I take the not quite full glass of Gem which they'd said was on the house if I wanted it.

What would you have done?

Soup Dragon
20-09-2009, 16:04
Ok, I am a bit of a real ale novice and was faced with a situation I wasn't sure how to deal with recently.

Went into a pub, only one real ale on - thankfully a Bath Gem which I like so ordered that. Sadly the barrel empties when my pint is three quarters full.

My choice was this, order something from the other usual 'tap tosh', or maybe a bottle of Newcastle Brown (one of my standbys for places with no real ale) or do I take the not quite full glass of Gem which they'd said was on the house if I wanted it.

What would you have done?

Take the free beer, with a thank you - if its really the only thing i would want, why turn it down?

arwkrite
20-09-2009, 16:15
Is it clear and does it smell OK ?. If yes why not accept? It will only go down the sink or that fat git with glasses at the end of the bar, name of Arwkrite, will get it down his neck in double quick time. One thing about Arwkrite he aint fussy and he dont stand on ceremony. ..Sorry thats two!

Farway
20-09-2009, 16:31
Agree, free beer is free beer, get it down your neck before they change their mind

I was in similar quandary recently, the Hogs Lodge at Clanfield had a refrurb & rename, and had a "nosey day"

When I turned up with camera to take pics to put on PG I was offered free drink

Problem, driving, possibly a bit too far from base on busy, or country, roads to chance it really IMO. So I had half pint, wimp or what?

http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/14100/

Soup Dragon
20-09-2009, 16:34
Agree, free beer is free beer, get it down your neck before they change their mind

I was in similar quandary recently, the Hogs Lodge at Clanfield had a refrurb & rename, and had a "nosey day"

Problem, driving, possibly a bit too far from base on busy, or country, roads to chance it really IMO. So I had half pint, wimp or what?

http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/14100/

No, Sir - no wimp - i drink a fair few half pints, so i can review more pubs for you lot - see how i sacrifice myself for you - frequently:D

Dave M
20-09-2009, 20:01
Ok, so I did accept the free almost pint - and it was my round so a real bonus! Thanks for the re-assurance that it was the right thing to do.

Is it clear and does it smell OK ?. If yes why not accept? It will only go down the sink or that fat git with glasses at the end of the bar!

I was a touch worried that some sediment might be pulled through at the end but it looked clear enough for me, I certainly didn't want to see it go down the sink - or to anyone else!! :p

Very nicely done! I hope no-one gets any ideas from that.

Right, I'm off up my local with a camera. ;)

Soup Dragon
20-09-2009, 21:45
Right, I'm off up my local with a camera. ;)

Cheapskate - tell 'em i will be along soon, to take a better one:cool:

and tell 'em to get a MILD in, as it can improve my picture taking abilities (and reviews)

<cough>

Conrad
21-09-2009, 12:52
Dave,

You idiot, I go away for a few days and this is the best you can come up with. Who are you Sybil Fawlty? Of course you take the free drink?!?!?

Next thing I know you will be telling me you were swatting the women off all night and I will just assume you died over the weekend. Although on reflection you will be travelling the other way:p.

Conrad