PDA

View Full Version : PuG Crawl Harrogate 7th July 2023.

Bucking Fastard
04-05-2023, 13:01
Thought I would start a seperate thread.There was some discussion in Norwich and in the Norwich thread about Newcastle but is that a consensus or are there any other suggestions ? We could always do a poll and likewise what dates make sense,possibly another poll for that ?

Quinno
04-05-2023, 13:59
Thought I would start a seperate thread.There was some discussion in Norwich and in the Norwich thread about Newcastle but is that a consensus or are there any other suggestions ? We could always do a poll and likewise what dates make sense,possibly another poll for that ?

I'd say date first - if it's a date I can't make (eg a Friday) then I, and some others, wouldn't have a need to vote on the destination.

Gann
04-05-2023, 15:40
I agree, lets fix the date first...

On venue. Is Crewe worth a shout ?

I used to visit Crewe a lot in the late 80's when my firm had a (Northern :-) ) office in nearby Nantwich and thought it weak for a major rail terminus in those days. But I read the article in this months BEER and seems much improved.

Quinno
04-05-2023, 15:54
Whilst I won't vote on a venue if I can't make it, a Northern destination which I'd be fine to miss as I did it a short while ago (but with very fine pubs) is Rochdale. If you take the tram then there's also a couple in Oldham that are also well-worth a shout as well.

AlanH
04-05-2023, 17:06
Crewe sounds a good idea with its recent improvements. Only 10mins on the train to a few extras in the nice town of Nantwich.

Another town packed with good pubs just one stop past Crewe is Chester.

Crewe, Chester or Rochdale seen a good choice to start with.
Or Liverpool could qualify in the "Over 10 year rule!"

Tris39
04-05-2023, 18:27
Or Liverpool could qualify in the "Over 10 year rule!"

That's a good point.

Bucking Fastard
05-05-2023, 10:49
I'd say date first - if it's a date I can't make (eg a Friday) then I, and some others, wouldn't have a need to vote on the destination.

That seems logical,I've posted a poll starting in June with as many dates as the poll allows ie. 14 Fridays and Saturdays.

london calling
14-05-2023, 19:14
It aint going to be a Saturday according to past preferences so just stick to Fridays.

Tris39
19-05-2023, 16:39
Where has the poll results table gone?

Strongers
19-05-2023, 19:16
Where has the poll results table gone?

It's still there, on the other Northern Crawl thread.

So Friday 7th July it is then...

rpadam
20-05-2023, 08:18
That was the easy bit!

So, where? A few suggestions so far:

Newcastle (upon Tyne)
Crewe
Rochdale
Chester
Liverpool

Bucking Fastard
20-05-2023, 10:32
That was the easy bit!

So, where? A few suggestions so far:

Newcastle (upon Tyne)
Crewe
Rochdale
Chester
Liverpool

Any more suggestions ? Looks like a poll among these 5 if not.

an_ecumenical_matter
20-05-2023, 11:37
Works for me that day. Newcastle is a bit far but anywhere else would be more than acceptable seeing as I have 2 nights in Crewe to transfer that are currently scuppered by the next lot of strikes.

Strongers
20-05-2023, 11:55
Harrogate?

Bucking Fastard
20-05-2023, 12:46
Harrogate?

Good call.

aleandhearty
20-05-2023, 13:35
Harrogate?

Good call.

Agree. Harrogate's a good call.

rpadam
20-05-2023, 14:36
Updated suggestions list:

Newcastle (upon Tyne)
Crewe
Rochdale
Chester
Liverpool
Harrogate

sheffield hatter
20-05-2023, 16:05
Any more suggestions ? Looks like a poll among these 5 if not.

Has anyone mentioned Halifax? I think it was included in a poll before but I can't remember how it fared.

sheffield hatter
20-05-2023, 16:12

Newcastle (upon Tyne)
Crewe
Rochdale
Chester
Liverpool
Harrogate

Has a 10 year rule been established? I'd like to do Liverpool again, and I tend to think that if we never go again to somewhere we've been before, we end up scraping the bottom of the barrel. I don't mean just quality, but also the availability of a number of acceptable pubs and also how easy it is for people based in the south to get to a place in the north (and vice versa, obviously).

And also if we don't go back to places we've "done" we can end up missing new and improved pubs.

Tris39
20-05-2023, 17:51
It's still there, on the other Northern Crawl thread.

Phew...won't interfere with me seeing The Who, then two days later Human League (with Altered Images in support). :cool:

Pangolin
21-05-2023, 16:37
I am quite happy for the '10 year rule' to apply, but we should be careful that doesn't just mean we automatically go back to the one we visited 11 years ago, if you see what I mean.

I also did a comprehensive Harrogate crawl a few weeks ago and can confirm it is certainly viable (but therefore probably won't be voting for it!).

rpadam
21-05-2023, 17:04

Newcastle (upon Tyne)
Crewe
Rochdale
Chester
Liverpool
Harrogate
Halifax

Bucking Fastard
22-05-2023, 14:59

Newcastle (upon Tyne)
Crewe
Rochdale
Chester
Liverpool
Harrogate
Halifax

As time is moving on ,I have set up a poll of these 7 options

Gann
28-05-2023, 10:19
I wont be voting in this one because, as it stands, I am highly unlikely to be able to make that date..

Real Ale Ray
30-05-2023, 19:43
Any decision on a venue yet??

sheffield hatter
30-05-2023, 19:55
Any decision on a venue yet??

I think the closing date on the poll is this weekend. Halifax and Harrogate neck and neck last time I looked.

rpadam
30-05-2023, 20:29
I think the closing date on the poll is this weekend.
"This poll will close on 03-06-2023 at 15:56"

Real Ale Ray
31-05-2023, 04:34
I think the closing date on the poll is this weekend. Halifax and Harrogate neck and neck last time I looked.

Cheers Will

Gann
31-05-2023, 12:23

If it is still neck and neck at the end, then I would be happy to give a casting vote..... as ther eis one of these I stand a chance to attend :)

sheffield hatter
31-05-2023, 12:33
If it is still neck and neck at the end, then I would be happy to give a casting vote..... as there is one of these I stand a chance to attend :)

That's what your vote is for! There's no point holding back on the basis that you won't be able to go if the wrong one wins - it's up to you to vote for the one that you will be (possibly) able to go to. (I speak from a non-biased position, as I'd be happy to go to either of the current leaders.)

Gann
31-05-2023, 13:16
Ok your wish is my command Will... Now done..

Never underestimate the pull of Betty's Tea Room on "Her who needs to be influenced"

sheffield hatter
31-05-2023, 13:46
Never underestimate the pull of Betty's Tea Room on "Her who needs to be influenced"

Oh good grief!

ROBCamra
31-05-2023, 14:24
Luckily the Blues Bar is just around the corner, so you can swerve Betty's, just as I have on all my numerous visits to Harrogate.

an_ecumenical_matter
03-06-2023, 19:07
Does that mean we're going to Horrorgate 😄

Bucking Fastard
03-06-2023, 21:28
Does that mean we're going to Horrorgate ������

Yes ,by a short head Harrogate topped the poll.Could some kind person with admin.authorisation please ammend the title of this thread to include Harrogate on Friday July 7th :notworthy: and then we can start planning the crawl.

Which are the must visit pubs ? (I've never been )

Pangolin
04-06-2023, 22:50
To get things started, here's my top selection in the centre:

Alexandra
Blues Bar
Cold Bath Brewing
Disappearing Chin
Fat Badger
Hales Bar
Harrogate Tap
Husk
Inn at Cheltenham Parade
Little Ale House
Major Tom's Social
North Bar
Old Bell
Starling
Tap on Tower Street
Winter Gardens (JDW, but worth going for the architecture)

Probably enough there to be going on with, but further out you also have the Devonshire Tap and the Office Alehouse new micro at Starbeck, plus the two brewery taps (Harrogate & Roosters).

sheffield hatter
05-06-2023, 14:45
To get things started, here's my top selection in the centre:

Alexandra
Blues Bar
Cold Bath Brewing
Disappearing Chin
Fat Badger
Hales Bar
Harrogate Tap
Husk
Inn at Cheltenham Parade
Little Ale House
Major Tom's Social
North Bar
Old Bell
Starling
Tap on Tower Street
Winter Gardens (JDW, but worth going for the architecture)

Probably enough there to be going on with, but further out you also have the Devonshire Tap and the Office Alehouse new micro at Starbeck, plus the two brewery taps (Harrogate & Roosters).

Maybe I've miscounted, but isn't that 21 pubs? Alan Winfield would have approved, but some of us are of a more tentative disposition, so could you perhaps categorise them as "must visits" and "wild cards"? (Asking for a friend, obv.)

oldboots
06-06-2023, 08:00
Although I won’t be joining you on the day I can offer some up to date info/opinion on the pubs. In general Harrogate is not a town for lovers of traditional pubs and many places are card payments only.

You could go in a circular route from the station towards Husk, the Alexandra and Tap on Tower St, then down into the Montpellier area via Blues Bar to Fat Badger, Old Bell and Hales, then back to the station by a different route (Major Toms, Winter Gardens, Cold Bath, Inn on Cheltenham Parade, Little Ale House, Starling). The Disappearing Chin and Harrogate Tap are located by the bus and rail stations. If you're staying more than one day Knaresborough is also worth a visit, York bound trains or any number 1 bus will get you there. Both go through Starbeck where The Office is nearby. Devonshire Tap is very good but maybe too far out especially as the pub next door is shut. The brewery taps are excellent but limited hours and/or a bit of a trek.

Blues Bar – small music venue, beer usually good.
Disappearing Chin – very small, three cask beers that are usually interesting, Three Brothers is very frequent, the craft keg line up can be spectacular; note opening hours and it’s card only.
Harrogate Tap – excellent don’t miss.
Inn at Cheltenham Parade – Timothy Taylor’s tied house, quality is usually excellent but pricey.
Little Ale House – excellent don’t miss, note opening hours and it prefers card only.
Major Tom's Social – an odd place but the four beers are usually very good and interesting, excellent pizzas. Note opening time and it's card only.
Old Bell – slightly variable, but seems fine at present.
Starling – maybe gone off a little since expanding but still an excellent choice and good pizzas. Card only.
Winter Gardens (JDW, but worth going for the architecture) agreed but the beer is good at present.

Alexandra – Nicholsons not much to recommend it, but better than some. Close to being a traditional pub.
Cold Bath Brewing – not very inspiring place they have two or three cask beers on but fairly middling quality, their own stout isn’t bad. Range of craft kegs.
Fat Badger – the public bar of a posh hotel, beer choice is the usual suspects of Yorkshire cask, fair quality.
Hales Bar – only if you haven’t been before, the beer quality is variable and the choice is getting smaller. It’s not as interesting as it used to be but go for the décor.
Husk – very small bottle shop with bar, two casks in reasonable condition, wider craft keg and bottle/can choice. Card only.
North Bar – more cafe than bar, cask beer is a bit of an after thought here and usually the two casks are from North Brewing. Card only.
Tap on Tower Street – not bad, check which beers are on as they’re different in each bar.

There’s also the Last Post just up the road from the Fat Badger, a fairly ordinary bar, similarly Christie’s is near Cold Bath, pleasant enough but average beer.

sheffield hatter
06-06-2023, 08:50
Although I won’t be joining you on the day I can offer some up to date info/opinion on the pubs. In general Harrogate is not a town for lovers of traditional pubs and many places are card payments only.

You could go in a circular route from the station towards Husk, the Alexandra and Tap on Tower St, then down into the Montpellier area via Blues Bar to Fat Badger, Old Bell and Hales, then back to the station by a different route (Major Toms, Winter Gardens, Cold Bath, Inn on Cheltenham Parade, Little Ale House, Starling). The Disappearing Chin and Harrogate Tap are located by the bus and rail stations. If you're staying more than one day Knaresborough is also worth a visit, York bound trains or any number 1 bus will get you there. Both go through Starbeck where The Office is nearby. Devonshire Tap is very good but maybe too far out especially as the pub next door is shut (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/29116/). The brewery taps are excellent but limited hours and/or a bit of a trek.

That's very useful. Thanks for that. Sorry to hear you won't be joining us.

Is the Swan on the Stray not reopening? It says on WhatPub that it was expected to reopen early this year.

oldboots
06-06-2023, 21:17
That's very useful. Thanks for that. Sorry to hear you won't be joining us.

Is the Swan on the Stray not reopening? It says on WhatPub that it was expected to reopen early this year.

The Swan is still for sale I believe. There is a new broom at B&Y/MTT who has ordered prices are removed from the beer menu boards, expect more nonsense.

trainman
07-06-2023, 10:04
The Swan is still for sale I believe. There is a new broom at B&Y/MTT who has ordered prices are removed from the beer menu boards, expect more nonsense.

Is that right? 'We'll get more sales if folk cannot see how expensive things might be'? Oh dear. And surely the law still states that prices must be easily visible somewhere?
Perhaps this person is someone who is unfamiliar with pubs, like those visionaries who have architecturally vandalised so many establishments over the years. Perhaps they do sit at home imagining how to interfere with the drinking classes, after all 'new broom', I notice, is an anagram of 'web moron'...

ROBCamra
07-06-2023, 14:36
Yes ,by a short head Harrogate topped the poll.Could some kind person with admin.authorisation please ammend the title of this thread to include Harrogate on Friday July 7th :notworthy: and then we can start planning the crawl.

Which are the must visit pubs ? (I've never been )

Title amended. I've been loads of times, so we may not bother with this one as I certainly won't visit any new pubs and the hotel prices are scary for that weekend. :(

Halifax would have been about £15 by train, but it hasn't got a crappy Betty's, so lost. :mad:

an_ecumenical_matter
15-06-2023, 09:47
I fly into Manchester on the Friday morning but now I've got a rescheduled railtour now on the Saturday with a hotel prebooked in Crewe. Believe it or not Harrogate to Crewe is 3 hours by train !!! I'll see how the previous full week's drinking in potatoland goes before I firm up this jolly so expect me if you see me, as me oul mam used to say !!!

Bucking Fastard
18-06-2023, 11:29
I'm booked up for this crawl but just coming for the day,arriving at 11.33 and departing on the 20.05 all being well.The Harrogate Tap (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/81224/)seems an obvious start/finish point.

There does seem a huge choice of venues in the town centre,all not far from the station ,so I would prefer to focus there rather than hike out too far ,unless there is something unmissable.

Many thanks to oldboots for his list,route and guidance and also to Pangolin for the long list. Not sure I'm up for a Winfield,but there doesn't seem much walking involved to explore the town centre options.

Pangolin
18-06-2023, 23:23
Here's a suggested running order of the better ones, with some wild cards in brackets.
Starting and finishing at the Harrogate Tap and could be done either way round, except that the Little Ale House doesn't open until 14.00 so it depends on timings.
It minimises backtracking uphill; omitting the Tap on Tower St would give a shorter route but I think it is worth doing.
I have left Husk as a wild card as it is a bit small, but it is easily knocked off from the station/Harrogate Tap before or after.

Harrogate Tap
(Husk)
Tap on Tower Street
(Coach & Horses)
Alexandra
Blues Bar
Fat Badger
Old Bell
Hales
Winter Gardens
Major Tom’s Social (note 1400 opening)
Starling
Little Ale House (note 1400 opening)
Cold Bath Brewing
(Christies)
Inn on Cheltenham Parade
(North Bar)
Disappearing Chin
Harrogate Tap

Spinko
19-06-2023, 05:59
Given it is in the same county, I should be along to this. Possibly there for an early starter at the Winter Gardens JDW.

sheffield hatter
28-06-2023, 10:36
I was in York last week, meeting Paul Mudge for a few heritage pubs. He had been meeting some old university friends for a reunion in Harrogate, as it happens, and said that the beer was not very good in the Nicholsons pub (by which I assume he meant the Alexandra). You can read his account of the four pubs he went into there - in the comments below Retired Martin's blog (https://retiredmartin.com/2023/06/27/a-paddington-bear-stare-for-the-tired-beer-in-w2/?replytocom=110637#respond). He gave a good account of the pub on the station, but says the Spoons and the Blues Bar were not much better than the Alex.

ROBCamra
28-06-2023, 11:26
I was in York last week, meeting Paul Mudge for a few heritage pubs. He had been meeting some old university friends for a reunion in Harrogate, as it happens, and said that the beer was not very good in the Nicholsons pub (by which I assume he meant the Alexandra). You can read his account of the four pubs he went into there - in the comments below Retired Martin's blog (https://retiredmartin.com/2023/06/27/a-paddington-bear-stare-for-the-tired-beer-in-w2/?replytocom=110637#respond). He gave a good account of the pub on the station, but says the Spoons and the Blues Bar were not much better than the Alex.

I've never had a crap pint in Winter Gardens (JD Wetherspoon) (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/55421/) or a poorly cooked breakfast for that matter and I've had quite a lot including a couple of pints on a Sunday night recently and a breakfast on the Monday.

He may have been unlucky, but that's never been my experience.

We never go in the The Alexandra (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/29180/) beacause it's crap.

Only had a problem with Blues Bar (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/66382/) once and that was back in 2013 when it was going through a bad patch, so you'll have to make your own minds up. :cheers:

sheffield hatter
28-06-2023, 11:46

Yes, I've been unlucky a couple of times myself in the recent hot weather. Some "adequate" cellars and cooling systems have turned out to be not as good as they were thought to be.

We never go in the The Alexandra (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/29180/) beacause it's crap.

A nod's as good as a wink.

sheffield hatter
28-06-2023, 12:32
Here's a suggested running order of the better ones, with some wild cards in brackets.

Harrogate Tap
(Husk)
Tap on Tower Street
(Coach & Horses)
Alexandra
Blues Bar
Fat Badger
Old Bell
Hales
Winter Gardens
Major Tom’s Social (note 1400 opening)
Starling
Little Ale House (note 1400 opening)
Cold Bath Brewing
(Christies)
Inn on Cheltenham Parade
(North Bar)
Disappearing Chin
Harrogate Tap

Thanks for that.

I must be getting old, as that looks like a pretty daunting list!

Even leaving out the "wild cards" and the second visit to the Harrogate Tap on the station, this would be 14 pubs. I'm going to pick out seven or eight that I reckon I can manage in four or five hours. I'm going to include the Last Post, a sort of wild card of my own. This doesn't open until 3pm, so will require a bit of backtracking, and I could be persuaded to try something else instead; total walking distance is just short of two miles:

Harrogate Tap (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/81224/)
Tap on Tower Street (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/29199/)
Fat Badger (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/29223/)
Old Bell (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/55419/)
Hales (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/29147/)
Last Post (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/29193/) (note 15:00 opening)
Little Ale House (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/84175/) (note 14:00 opening)
Inn on Cheltenham Parade (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/69928/)

I last did Harrogate five years ago, and these eight are split evenly between four I did before and four that I haven't done. This is just my own idea, and if I catch anyone following me I shall be very cross! No, seriously, it'll be good to catch up with whoever's coming to Harrogate, but my days of doing a dozen or more pubs are now behind me.

I've bought my train tickets and will be arriving at 11:33 and leaving on the 17:36.

Strongers
28-06-2023, 13:51
I'll be driving up so staying in a hotel Friday night.

Looking forward to it :drinkup:

Tris39
28-06-2023, 18:52

I've never had a crap pint in Winter Gardens (JD Wetherspoon) (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/55421/) or a poorly cooked breakfast for that matter and I've had quite a lot including a couple of pints on a Sunday night recently and a breakfast on the Monday.

Only had a problem with Blues Bar (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/66382/) once and that was back in 2013 when it was going through a bad patch, so you'll have to make your own minds up. :cheers:

The Alexandra (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/29180/) looks like some corporate affair with a modern 'Victorian' interior; seems odd to include it unless the beer is outstanding.

Tris39
02-07-2023, 16:20
Let's hope we don't get derailed (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-66059122). :(

Bucking Fastard
02-07-2023, 19:26
Just wondered who is turning up?

Reading back through this thread I assume the following

Tris 39
Pangolin
sheffield hatter
Gann
Bucking Fastard
Clive
Spinko
Strongers
Real Ale Ray
Fiona
rpadam
an ecumenical matter ?

I will update this list as other attendees confirm.Let's hope train issues dont cause major issues.

See you all in the Harrogate Tap around noon this Friday.

Spinko
03-07-2023, 05:30
Just wondered who is turning up?

Reading back through this thread I assume the following

Tris 39
Pangolin
sheffield hatter
Gann
Bucking Fastard
Clive
Spinko
Strongers
Real Ale Ray
Fiona
rpadam
an ecumenical matter ?

I will update this list as other attendees confirm.Let's hope train issues dont cause major issues.

See you all in the Harrogate Tap around noon this Friday.

Yes, driving the 50ish miles down in the morning. Depending on the time I wake & not wasting too long in the gym, I'll probably be knocking around the Wetherspoons from 10ish.

It's looking like shorts weather again, mid-twenties Celsius

Pangolin
04-07-2023, 07:47
Trains on the Harrogate line have not been noticeably affected by the overtime ban so far (although there was a signalling cock-up yesterday) and LNER claim to be running a full service. to York and Leeds, so hopefully shouldn't be too bad. Cross Country seem to be ok and Trans Pennine are in usual state of disarray of course.

Here is an unscientific stab at timings, reducing a few more to wild cards leaving a manageable(?) 10. Most of the others are pretty close, so could easily be knocked off later by any who are staying on for the evening.

1200-1230 Harrogate Tap
(Husk)
1240-1305 Tap on Tower Street
(Coach & Horses)
(Alexandra)
1315-1340 Blues Bar
1345-1410 Fat Badger
(Last Post)
1415-1440 Old Bell
1445-1510 Hales
(Winter Gardens JDW)
1520-1545 Major Tom’s Social (note 1400 opening)
(Starling)
1550-1615 Little Ale House (note 1400 opening)
(Cold Bath Brewing)
(Christies)
1620-1645 Inn on Cheltenham Parade
(North Bar)
1650-1715 Disappearing Chin
1720 Harrogate Tap

Strongers
04-07-2023, 10:01
Trains on the Harrogate line have not been noticeably affected by the overtime ban so far (although there was a signalling cock-up yesterday) and LNER claim to be running a full service. to York and Leeds, so hopefully shouldn't be too bad. Cross Country seem to be ok and Trans Pennine are in usual state of disarray of course.

Here is an unscientific stab at timings, reducing a few more to wild cards leaving a manageable(?) 10. Most of the others are pretty close, so could easily be knocked off later by any who are staying on for the evening.

1200-1230 Harrogate Tap
(Husk)
(Coach & Horses)
(Alexandra)
1315-1340 Blues Bar
1345-1410 Fat Badger
(Last Post)
1415-1440 Old Bell
1445-1510 Hales
(Winter Gardens JDW)
(Starling)
(Cold Bath Brewing)
(Christies)
(North Bar)
1720 Harrogate Tap

Two crawls for the price of one :drinkup:

ROBCamra
04-07-2023, 10:08

1200-1230 Harrogate Tap
(Husk)
(Coach & Horses)
(Alexandra)
1315-1340 Blues Bar
1345-1410 Fat Badger
(Last Post)
1415-1440 Old Bell
1445-1510 Hales
(Winter Gardens JDW)
(Starling)
(Cold Bath Brewing)
(Christies)
(North Bar)
1720 Harrogate Tap

I disgree with OB in that I think Cold Bath Brewing is well worth a visit and would have had it on the main list rather than a wild card.

Just my opinion, but we never go to Harrogate without visiting it alongside the Little Ale House and the Harrogate Tap.

Also, anyone fancying a curry, The Shalimar (Cheltenham Parade) is the best we know and it does a slow cooked Nihari curry which is excellent.

sheffield hatter
04-07-2023, 10:19

Unscientific, maybe. But remarkably similar to my rough notes.

Harrogate is quite a small town but with a huge pubs offering. I'm sure we'll be adding and subtracting as we go along.

aleandhearty
04-07-2023, 10:32
Unfortunately, I can't make it on Friday, now. I was particularly looking forward to it, as it's been a while since I've been on one and Harrogate would have been eminently 'doable'. Was also looking forward to putting faces to names I'd not met before. Another time.

Tris39
04-07-2023, 18:04
(Christies)

Isn't Christies (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/58494/) a cocktail bar (https://christies.pub/)?

ROBCamra
04-07-2023, 18:31
Isn't Christies (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/58494/) a cocktail bar (https://christies.pub/)?

Not really, has 3 handpumps.

Strongers
04-07-2023, 19:01
I see there's been a glaring omission, tut tut tut...

Don't worry though, I've added Trotters Bar (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/29219/) to my evening crawl list :D

Tris39
06-07-2023, 19:23
My train up has already been cancelled, so I don't know it I'll now make it, but have a good one.

Pangolin
06-07-2023, 19:40
My train up has already been cancelled, so I don't know it I'll now make it, but have a good one.

See if LNER will let you switch to via York instead

Tris39
06-07-2023, 19:51
See if LNER will let you switch to via York instead

They've said I can jump on the next available LNER train, so I'll just have to play it by ear, but thanks for the advice.

an_ecumenical_matter
07-07-2023, 06:48
I'm on the way 😃😃😃

Tris39
07-07-2023, 06:51
I was told that I could get the next available train, but have now been informed that this too has been cancelled: 'Just jump on the next available train' says the app, whenever that will be. I can't even log in to cancel my ticket, meaning that I've lost the entire cost of travel. I hope the selfish overpaid ***** that drive these things feel happy...

Spinko
07-07-2023, 09:39
I was told that I could get the next available train, but have now been informed that this too has been cancelled: 'Just jump on the next available train' says the app, whenever that will be. I can't even log in to cancel my ticket, meaning that I've lost the entire cost of travel. I hope the selfish overpaid ***** that drive these things feel happy...

Delay Repay etc.

Spinko is in town :whistle:

an_ecumenical_matter
07-07-2023, 11:22
Don't spout uninformed/"daily hate mail" nonsense. If you weren't such a robot to your app and dealt with a human you'd find your original ticket would always be valid and you'd get delay money like da Spink says..

rpadam
07-07-2023, 11:27
This post has evaporated!

sheffield hatter
07-07-2023, 16:58
Great to meet up with those who made it to Harrogate, and sorry to have missed those who didn't. Some tremendous pubs and excellent beers.

Got my train at 17:36 as planned. Good luck to those who are leaving on later trains or tomorrow.

Tris39
07-07-2023, 17:50
Don't spout uninformed/"daily hate mail" nonsense. If you weren't such a robot to your app and dealt with a human you'd find your original ticket would always be valid and you'd get delay money like da Spink says..

I support rights to strike and went to K+ last night to get some travel info, but Trainline said I could get the next LNER train which was cancelled with about 100 minutes' notice, then was generously offered another one departing at 1.40, always assuming that too wasn't cancelled and arrived at around 4.40; I wouldn't mind so much if hope weren't repeatedly dangled then withdrawn and unlike others, my trip wasn't vital.

Mobyduck
07-07-2023, 19:18
I support rights to strike and went to K+ last night to get some travel info, but Trainline said I could get the next LNER train which was cancelled with about 100 minutes' notice, then was generously offered another one departing at 1.40, always assuming that too wasn't cancelled and arrived at around 4.40; I wouldn't mind so much if hope weren't repeatedly dangled then withdrawn and unlike others, my trip wasn't vital.

You'll get your money back if you can be arsed to go through the formalities but at the end of the day the whole things a pile of shite.

rpadam
07-07-2023, 21:04
You'll get your money back if you can be arsed to go through the formalities but at the end of the day the whole things a pile of shite.
Come off it.

It takes about a minute, and the more people who bother to do it, the smaller the "pile of shite" in the longer term.

Mobyduck
07-07-2023, 21:27
the smaller the "pile of shite" in the longer term.

I'm talking about the disruption in general.

rpadam
07-07-2023, 21:34
I'm talking about the disruption in general.
OK, but just make sure you are firing at the right target.

Mobyduck
07-07-2023, 21:45
OK, but just make sure you are firing at the right target.

Not picking on targets, just bemoaning the effects on the innocent paying punter.

Real Ale Ray
07-07-2023, 21:46
In Shalimar with Clive, thanks to Ian for the recommendation..

Spinko
08-07-2023, 07:05
Very nice to meet you all again. I don't think a favourite pub stood out, maybe the Badger place.

The beer was very West Yorkshire I thought, or at least the blondes and pales I went for pints of.

an_ecumenical_matter
08-07-2023, 09:00
Fella.

Have you been on the funny fags ?

The only cancellation all morning between Kings Cross and Leeds was the 0803. Yes, there was no driver. But no business should run by relying on people coming into work on their day off. Heed Mr RPADAM about the right target episode 1.

Then as far as this TRAINLINE app that you are enslaved to is concerned- well delete it might be the best advice and you could have had a jolly day in the field yesterday. Heed Mr RPADAM about the right target part 2.

MOBYDUCK it's not a pile of poo, it's a steaming pile of poo. But if everyone was to claim they'd realise and start to get it right yes.

On to the pubs- Daleside must be doing good prices because it was everywhere. The Python Porter in the McSpoons was very good when we eventually got served. That Major Tom's Social up the stairs was pub of the day although the handpump beer wasn't really up to scratch. The Birmingham North brewery beer in their very hot taproom was good as well albeit in dirty glasses (comment to serving wench about the matter was dismissed with a tut, tut tut). The dubious pub Trotters had brilliant Guinness. The last pub HUSK though had the worst beer and negative comment was again rejected by the child behind the wickets tut tut again.

I'll be back but in autumn maybe.

It was good seeing everyone and I hope I wasn't too noisy.:D

Hope the little wan and R-A-R got their free Premier Inn scran !!!

Bucking Fastard
08-07-2023, 09:46
Good to see everybody yesterday for a very enjoyable crawl without having to do too much walking on a warm day.I managed 14 new ticks and am hard pressed to remember a poor beer.Hopefully Strongers can post a group photo.

I hope everyones journey home was uneventful,LNER and Nothern Rail worked for me.:whistle:

My pub of the crawl goes to the Harrogate Tap (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/81224/),great ale selection and easy to remember as it was the first ;)

Beer of the crawl goes to Harrogate Beeching Axe IPA in the Disappearing Chin (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/87637/),shortly before I disappeared.

Looking forward to the next one somewhere in the South later in the year.:drinkup::drinkup::drinkup:

Spinko
08-07-2023, 10:09
Fella.

The only cancellation all morning between Kings Cross and Leeds was the 0803. Yes, there was no driver. But no business should run by relying on people coming into work on their day off. Heed Mr RPADAM about the right target episode 1.

Then as far as this TRAINLINE app that you are enslaved to is concerned- well delete it might be the best advice and you could have had a jolly day in the field yesterday. Heed Mr RPADAM about the right target part 2.

MOBYDUCK it's not a pile of poo, it's a steaming pile of poo. But if everyone was to claim they'd realise and start to get it right yes.

On to the pubs- Daleside must be doing good prices because it was everywhere. The Python Porter in the McSpoons was very good when we eventually got served. I still have R-A-R's ketchup in my bag. That Major Tom's Social up the stairs was pub of the day although the handpump beer wasn't really up to scratch. The Birmingham North brewery beer in their very hot taproom was good as well albeit in dirty glasses (comment to serving wench about the matter was dismissed with a tut, tut tut). The dubious pub Trotters had brilliant Guinness. The last pub HUSK though had the worst beer and negative comment was again rejected by the child behind the wickets tut tut again.

It's very good that that deckchair wasn't used nor observed!

an_ecumenical_matter
08-07-2023, 11:17
It's very good that that deckchair wasn't used nor observed!

The humour the "glamour" of the day was in it would more than likely have been worn rather than sat on.... :whistle:

ROBCamra
08-07-2023, 13:02
In Shalimar with Clive, thanks to Ian for the recommendation..

Anybody have the Nihari?

an_ecumenical_matter
08-07-2023, 22:05
Fella.

On to the pubs- Daleside must be doing good prices because it was everywhere. The Python Porter in the McSpoons was very good when we eventually got served. I still have R-A-R's ketchup in my bag. That Major Tom's Social up the stairs was pub of the day although the handpump beer wasn't really up to scratch. The Birmingham North brewery beer in their very hot taproom was good as well albeit in dirty glasses (comment to serving wench about the matter was dismissed with a tut, tut tut). The dubious pub Trotters had brilliant Guinness. The last pub HUSK though had the worst beer and negative comment was again rejected by the child behind the wickets tut tut again.

Further to the post above can I please be allowed to assure everyone with 100% honest conviction that if my post implied that Ray "R-A-R" as I described him, took him anything from Wetherspoons yesterday it was only in jest and it was me being not very funny. I mean that sincerely and apologise if it portrayed Ray in any kind of negative way.

Real Ale Ray
09-07-2023, 10:29
Anybody have the Nihari?

No. But all the food we had was excellent. The owner is a bit of a character too!

Real Ale Ray
09-07-2023, 11:15

Strongers
10-07-2023, 08:06
It was a very enjoyable crawl, thanks everyone.

Beer of the day was probably North Brewing's Vanishing Point and pub/bar of the day was Trotters.

Pangolin
10-07-2023, 14:59
A very nice day and good to see everyone. I may have only achieved two new pubs but I managed a different beer in al of them and didn't have a bad one, so definitely a good session.

Delboy20
10-07-2023, 15:53

Excuse me Ray. Do you mind not leaning on my van?