PDA

View Full Version : Help planning a pub crawl.

Delboy20
03-04-2023, 19:57
Hi all,
I may not make sense with this but bear with me. Is there a way with google maps to add a selection of points on a map and then try to plan the logistics later?
Planning a few London pubs but the final list will come down to a travel plan really as there are so many I want to do!
I know a couple of you have planned routes for the meet ups but i am not that good with this sort of thing!
Any tips would be welcome.
Cheers,
Del.

ETA
04-04-2023, 07:14
There is. You can create an overlay using the My Maps function and add custom points with notes, shaded areas and measure distances - see attached a selection of mine which I use for exactly that purpose.

I'm guessing Dave will know a better way, though.

london calling
04-04-2023, 18:49
Post a list of pubs you fancy and I am sure we can help you work out a plan.where you are starting from and what day of the week would help.Then you could do a map.

sheffield hatter
04-04-2023, 23:22
Is there a way with google maps to add a selection of points on a map and then try to plan the logistics later?

What I generally do is enter all the postcodes in Google maps, using the "add destination" option, and create a route using the "walking" option. You can then drag the points into a different order on the list until the route looks as efficient as it can be. (There are different ways of doing this on a PC and on a phone, but the result is the same - you move a point so that it's higher up the list than it was before. Think of Villa going above Chelsea, for instance. :))

At this stage I would check on the map that the postcode points are close enough to the actual pub! The other thing to look out for is that there is a maximum number of points, so if you're planning a longish crawl you might have to split it into two halves.

From what I've seen of other people's maps (and what ETA says above) there are other ways of doing pub crawl maps, but I find this works for me and it should be pretty easy to pick up.

Mobyduck
05-04-2023, 08:11
Think of Villa going above Chelsea, for instance. :))

Lets just keep this about pubs. :mad: :D

Bucking Fastard
05-04-2023, 09:05
Del I use Google Maps in much the same way as Will describes.If you are doing an extended crawl across several London boroughs there is also a "public transport" button which will plan a route for you ,often using various buses.I tend to put the pubs I want to visit in a rough order,then look at the logistics (walking/public transport) and then alter the running order by dragging to simplify and optomise the route.Hope this helps.

Spinko
07-04-2023, 04:57
A little bit off topic but one thing I sometimes find tricky is finding a pub crawl for towns a bit below the radar. A few weeks ago I visited Farsley (between Leeds and Bradford) which was...adequate.

I tend to find satellite towns of cities can be interesting territory, plus you always have the option of a quick ride into the city if things get boring - but they take a bit of research to discover. For my hometown Manchester I can think of Chorlton, Didsbury, Stockport, Eccles/Monton/Swinton but it's a bit of a struggle elsewhere.

Delboy20
07-04-2023, 19:12
Lets just keep this about pubs. :mad: :D:avfc::avfc::avfc::avfc:

Delboy20
07-04-2023, 19:15
What I generally do is enter all the postcodes in Google maps, using the "add destination" option, and create a route using the "walking" option. You can then drag the points into a different order on the list until the route looks as efficient as it can be. (There are different ways of doing this on a PC and on a phone, but the result is the same - you move a point so that it's higher up the list than it was before. Think of Villa going above Chelsea, for instance. :))

At this stage I would check on the map that the postcode points are close enough to the actual pub! The other thing to look out for is that there is a maximum number of points, so if you're planning a longish crawl you might have to split it into two halves.

From what I've seen of other people's maps (and what ETA says above) there are other ways of doing pub crawl maps, but I find this works for me and it should be pretty easy to pick up.

Stupid question but where is the "add destination" option??

trainman
08-04-2023, 06:19
Search for your first location, then use 'directions' which will bring up field to search 2nd location, after that the 'add destination' option appears for subsequent location additions. The travel option, walk, transport etc, appear at the top...

sheffield hatter
08-04-2023, 23:12
Stupid question but where is the "add destination" option??

Not a stupid question at all!

It's as Jim says, but the "add destination" option doesn't appear if you select public transport. (It doesn't for me anyway...)

And if you're using your phone rather than PC or laptop, you'll find the "add stop" option in the menu which is three vertical dots. (This may vary with operating system and/or browser, so you might have to look around a bit.)