PDA

View Full Version : Save the Wenlock

RogerB
27-09-2010, 10:44
As most of us are aware, the Wenlock Arms, one of London's top beer holes, is under threat of closure and demolision, possibly as early as next month. Not sure how much we can do but there are a few suggestions on their web site and I have sent my show of support to them http://www.wenlock-arms.co.uk/ . This really isn't good news for us London based drinkers. Maybe some of us can have a London meet up here to show our support before it's too late.

trainman
27-09-2010, 11:22
I presume that the current owners could choose who they sell to and, despite comments suggesting that they would prefer it to remain a pub, it would be difficult for them to turn down a (presumably) higher bid from a developer, as opposed to a buyer intending to keep it as a going concern public house.
Am I being deluded in thinking the seller could stipulate, at least short-term, conditions on future use?

Quinno
27-09-2010, 12:08
Am I being deluded in thinking the seller could stipulate, at least short-term, conditions on future use?

Nope. So long as you have a good lawyer, you can put pretty much whatever covenants you want into a sale or lease document (after all, it's what Enterprise were busy doing for years).

Obviously it will devalue the sale price though...

TBH, the Wenlock is sat slap-bang in what is currently prime development land. If the owners are looking to sell in order to fund a long and happy reitrement, I can't see who could compete wiith the deep pockets of property developers.

The stumbling block for the property developers will be a change of use application, which is now a lot harder to obtain than it was a couple of years back. However that doesn't stop unscrupulous developers demolishing the place beforehand without permission. Early Sunday mornings are their favourite times.

Alesonly
27-09-2010, 18:15
I suppose on a bright note If they do sell too developers it should raise a good Price. This would be good if they want too buy a Pub somewhere else theres a few decent local Pubs empty at present that could be brought back into use.

Conrad
28-09-2010, 15:00
The model followed by the Highgate Brewery campaign (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?2766-Save-Highgate-Brewery) seems to have been relatively effective. I'm guessing however the Brewery aspect was influential though.

Does anyone have any examples of successful campaigns, it would be nice to try and centralise these as we do seem to regularly see this issue now.

oldboots
28-09-2010, 15:27
Does anyone have any examples of successful campaigns, it would be nice to try and centralise these as we do seem to regularly see this issue now.

The Vulcan (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/45849/) in Cardiff springs to mind, a very successful campaign but probably not over yet. Don't know if anyone's got an update on the situation there?

RogerB
28-09-2010, 16:40
The Pineapple in Kentish Town was saved from the developers after a long campaign as was the Prince of Wales in Aberdeen and the Nell Gwynne off the Strand to name but 3. The legendary Sun at Lantwardine keeps going thanks to a volunteer workforce. It can be done if enough people shout loud enough although it doesn't produce a happy ending.

gillhalfpint
28-09-2010, 21:34
The Dodford Inn, Dodford, Worcs was saved from developers. CAMRA and the village itself were involved in the campaign on that one.

Quinno
28-09-2010, 21:41
The Jolly Anglers in Reading, saved by local residents and the local CAMRA branch. Though the current landlord seems busy running the goodwill towards the pub into the ground. :mad::(

I shall be hoping to get a pint or three in at the Wenlock on Saturday, if things work out. :nishelypished:

Conrad
29-09-2010, 12:56
Roger, do you know if CAMRA are involved with The Wenlock?

hondo
29-09-2010, 13:10
http://www.islingtongazette.co.uk/content/islington/gazette/news/story.aspx?brand=ISLGOnline&category=news&tBrand=northlondon24&tCategory=newsislg&itemid=WeED27%20Sep%202010%2013%3A05%3A30%3A277

Conrad
29-09-2010, 14:03
http://www.islingtongazette.co.uk/content/islington/gazette/news/story.aspx?brand=ISLGOnline&category=news&tBrand=northlondon24&tCategory=newsislg&itemid=WeED27%20Sep%202010%2013%3A05%3A30%3A277
Even more importantly from that article: http://savethewenlock.blogspot.com/

RogerB
30-09-2010, 09:32
Roger, do you know if CAMRA are involved with The Wenlock?

Sorry - wasn't able to get onto the site yesterday thanks to technical thingys at work and being at WHL last night but looks like question has already been answered!

Bucking Fastard
30-09-2010, 14:40
This really isn't good news for us London based drinkers. Maybe some of us can have a London meet up here to show our support before it's too late.

Hopefully the blog campaign and pressure on the local authority not to yield on change of use will be succesful,but if events take a turn for the worse,I would definitely be up for a visit .Like many others I have been using The Wenlock for years and would be deeply saddened by it's passing.

Alesonly
30-09-2010, 15:09
Here is a link too the save the Wenlock thread on the CAMRA web site.

http://forum.camra.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=968

Save The Wenlock

Quinno
30-09-2010, 17:43
confirmed that I will be in there on Saturday for a few jars - will take my camera!!

Andy Ven
30-09-2010, 20:22
The Highate Brewery Campaign had the benefit of the support various pre-existing organisations, Walsall branch of CAMRA, Friends of Highgate Brewery and Walsall Civic Society.

I think that you have to look realistically at what is achievable. In the case of the brewery it was beyond the financial means of anyone on the campaign team to raise sufficient funds to buy it and I'm not sure that anyone had the necessary competences to devise a realistic business model, let alone run a business of this type.

Publicity was the key (local radio, local press, Facebook, the Pub Forum) and getting local political and business leaders to actively show their support by attending campaign meetings. It sends out the message to a potential buyer that enough people care about this business to make it viable - it just needs someone to run it in the right way. Also key was expressing concerns to political leaders regarding the security of the building while it was not operating to ensure that it was patrolled, preserved, protected from arson and vandalism etc to ensure that it didn't end up destroyed and the land in the hands of developers (it is listed and on a local authority heritage building list).

RogerB
01-10-2010, 08:26
confirmed that I will be in there on Saturday for a few jars - will take my camera!!

What sort of time? - I will be at WHL on Saturday and may be able to pop in for a few after the game unless 'er indoors has other plans for the evening.

Quinno
01-10-2010, 08:28
What sort of time? - I will be at WHL on Saturday and may be able to pop in for a few after the game unless 'er indoors has other plans for the evening.

Time as yet unconfirmed, but probably meeting my friends there around midday.

RogerB
01-10-2010, 09:28
Hmmm. Not so easy pre-match. The Victoria line is closed so getting to Tottenham will be a big hassle involving temporary bus services through football traffic. Unless I can convince MrsB to drive up to the game early and drop me off (unlikely) I am a bit stuffed. After the game wouldn't have been so bad as the travelling isn't so time critical. I'll have to give it a miss but if anything changes, I'll let you know. At least by now they should have got rid of the plastic furniture!

NickDavies
09-10-2010, 13:08
I see someone on another pub review website has the Wenlock as a 'gay icon'. I've heard it described as a lot of things, one of which could inspire some crude jokes in this context, but gay icon?

Millay
26-10-2010, 09:59
Popped into the Wenlock yesterday and it seems that it's still in demand by film crews. A location scout came in asking to take a few photos for his director. As to the future well still no-one knows. The hope is that prospective developers may be put off by the inevitable battle to get planing permission to change the terms of use or demolish it. I guess money will come into it, there's no doubt the pub needs a bit spent on it so it's likely to be more valuable to a developer than a new owner.