PDA

View Full Version : Beer of the Week (w/e 5th March 2023)

ROBCamra
05-03-2023, 10:24
:cheers:

Mobyduck
05-03-2023, 17:52
Restricted to just the one Sunday lunchtime session.

Bad Wolf Cheetah
Hand Brew High 5*
Hadham Ciara*
Elusive /Good Chemistry No True Measure*
Beak Parade*

Best for me was Hand Brew High 5, refreshing citrusy Lemon in The Alfred (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/35750/)

london calling
05-03-2023, 22:13
Restricted to just the one Sunday lunchtime session.

Bad Wolf Cheetah
Hand Brew High 5*
Hadham Ciara*
Elusive /Good Chemistry No True Measure*
Beak Parade*

Best for me was Hand Brew High 5, refreshing citrusy Lemon in The Alfred (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/35750/)

Bad wolf is a brand brewed by Piddle.

Mobyduck
06-03-2023, 06:32
Bad wolf is a brand brewed by Piddle.

Thanks John.
A subsiduary of Piddle which I didn't know at the time but explains why I probably wouldn't have that beer again.

Bucking Fastard
06-03-2023, 07:33
Fenny Compton,Banbury and Walworth.

Wye Valley -- HPA
Purity -- Pure Gold
Courage -- Directors (3PT)
Bone Machine -- NEIPA * (keg)
New Invention -- Coconut and Marshmallow Stout (keg)
Little Ox -- Morello Dilemma
Nothing Bound -- Cherries Underground (keg)
Phantom -- Hop Punks Not Dead *(keg)
Goose Island -- Midway (keg)
Blue Moon -- Belgian White (keg)
Verdant -- Lightbulb *(keg)
Courage -- Bitter (keg)
Orbit -- Utopian Baltic Porter *(keg)
Kronenbourg -- 1664 (keg)
Mondo -- Campana IPA *(keg)

More keg than usual,some planned others being the only beer option with BOTW goes to a sublime Phantom Hop Punks Not Dead in the Apothecary Tap. (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/85957/)

Next week Horsham and footie ,hopeful for some top pints.

Wittenden
06-03-2023, 08:15
Kent:

Gun- Zamzama: 6.5%abv. An exceptionally good IPA, which I'd known about, but never tried before.Juicy, fruity, solid.My BOTW.

trainman
06-03-2023, 08:39
Should be many to choose from after overnighting in Beeston then on to Manchester via a 5hr stop in Sheffield, but I'll go for Pictish Jarrylo (https://www.pictish-brewing.co.uk/beers/jarrylo/), just what I needed in the post-match crush in Cask (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/87479/) on Saturday.
Honourable mention, again, to Abbeydale Black Mass, which I was enjoying, this time on keg, in Piccadilly Tap Sat eve when i found out my train (the LAST train) to London had been cancelled. Last train being 20:15 is pathetic anyway, positively Dickensian, but then to cancel it due to 'lack of train crew' with no advertised alternative to travel, is bloody atrocious. They didn't even have it showing as cancelled in the station, just removed it from the departure boards like it had never existed!

Thuck Phat
06-03-2023, 10:10
Varied week for me some of which may be familiar from Mr F's list:

Courage Directors
Bone Machine NEIPA* (keg)
New Invention Brewery Coconut and Marshmallow Stout* (keg)
Little Ox Morello Dilemma
Phantom Brewing Co Motivation* (keg)
Phantom Brewing Co Hop Punk's Not Dead* (keg)
Arbor My Little Sabrony*
Mad Squirrel London Porter*
Vale Black Beauty Porter
Nethergate Umbel Magna*
Oakham Bishops Farewell*

Thoroughly enjoyed all the keg beers especially the Hop Punk's Not Dead but the Morello Dilemma was all but undrinkable.

BOTW goes to Mad Squirrel London Porter to avoid repetition but also because it's a fine 5% porter with notes of coffee and chocolate and a moreish finish. Ideal as a pre-match pint on a chilly day.

aleandhearty
06-03-2023, 10:33
A decent week for me.

Alwick Brewing - Alnwick Stout.
Ossett - White Rat.
Chin Chin - Kandel.*
Mallinsons - Wolf Calypso.
Small World - Twin Falls.
Acorn - Gorlovka.*
Fernandes - Malt Shovel Mild.
Fernandes - Sandal Castle.*
Nailmaker - Plum Porter.*
Rat - Ilkla Moor Baht' Rat.*
Fernandes - Percival.
Fernandes - Nelson IPA.

An old favourite, Gorlovka, takes the honours, this week. Not come across it in ages. Sampled in Harry's Bar (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/60167/).

aleandhearty
06-03-2023, 10:42
...i found out my train (the LAST train) to London had been cancelled. Last train being 20:15 is pathetic anyway, positively Dickensian, but then to cancel it due to 'lack of train crew' with no advertised alternative to travel, is bloody atrocious. They didn't even have it showing as cancelled in the station, just removed it from the departure boards like it had never existed!

Christ, Jim. That's outrageous. It's enough to drive a man to drink! On a more serious note, this morning's Today programme reported that northern mayors are meeting today to address the shambolic state of train travel in the region. They certainly need to.

Tris39
06-03-2023, 18:44
Christ, Jim. That's outrageous. It's enough to drive a man to drink! On a more serious note, this morning's Today programme reported that northern mayors are meeting today to address the shambolic state of train travel in the region. They certainly need to.

Some of us had exactly the same problem getting back from Burton to London after our crawl.

Otherwise...

ELB - Cowcatcher **¾
Marble - Manchester Bitter *¾
Nene Valley - Release the Chimps **¾
Oakham - Citra **½
Portobello - APA **½
Portobello - Market Porter *¾
Rooster - Yorkshire Pale Ale **
Sambrook’s - Wandle **¼
Southwark Brewing - Potters’ Fields *¼
Timothy Taylor - Boltmaker **
Timothy Taylor - Landlord **¾
Twickenham - Azacca Star **½
Twickenham - Naked Ladies **½
Vibrant forest - Black Forest Porter **½

BOTW goes to Kelham Island - Pale Rider ***½, but I've forgotten where I drank it.:(

aleandhearty
07-03-2023, 09:12
Some of us had exactly the same problem getting back from Burton to London after our crawl.

I could well believe it. Then multiply it by X thousand.

trainman
07-03-2023, 17:45

(
So how did that trip go Tris?
Mine was via Brum, the carriage serenaded by ~20 BCFC fans who boarded at, I think, Stafford.
Then a 3min ("they'll hold the service") change-connection to a slow-train to London, arriving 00:15, crossed london to arrive home at 01:10, what japes!!

Tris39
07-03-2023, 18:06
So how did that trip go Tris?

I got a later train with BF and his mate (Daryl?) who came part of the way, me and Daryl going all the way, getting off at Euston; can't remember when, but I do recall it was before closing time. :drinkup:

Bucking Fastard
08-03-2023, 09:29
I got a later train with BF and his mate (Daryl?) who came part of the way, me and Daryl going all the way, getting off at Euston; can't remember when, but I do recall it was before closing time. :drinkup:

I have great sympathy with our northern friends over their ongoing problems.

My journey back from Burton was meant to be Burton-Nottingham -Grantham-Stevenage -Hertford North but the first leg to Nottingham was cancelled so I travelled initially with Tris and Nige in the opposite direction thus Burton -Tamworth-Nuneaton (where I said goodbye to T&N) -Peterborough (direct service via Hinkley,Leicester,Oakham then Peterborough) -Stevenage - Hertford North.

As I got off at Peterborough I could see the Grantham - Stevenage service had drawn in ,so with a bit of running up and down stairs I made it onto the same train as I was originally booked on albeit via a much different route.
So nothing really to complain about.;)

(Thank goodness for the National Rail Enquiries app)

Tris39
08-03-2023, 16:54
(Thank goodness for the National Rail Enquiries app)

...and thank goodness I was with you when you were pinged, otherwise I'd never have found out. I think the moral of the story is to get a train long before the last one is scheduled to leave, so that at least there' one in the pipe as backup.