PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions from anyone with imagination

Conrad
17-09-2009, 22:30
I am interested in trying to make these forums a little more personal. We are using vBulletin and it seems replete with options. So if anyone wants to know how to do anything or make suggestions on what they would like to see let me know.

Anyway currently under a users name on a post there is a title displayed, in my case Administrator (I'm special). For everyone else (including Dave bizarrely) they have titles based on their post count which rather boringly goes:

0-29 Junior member
30-99 Member
100+ Senior member (well done Historian)

These seems rather dull so we need some cool ideas, so to kick it off:
0-1 Cider Drinker
2-57 Real Ale drinker
58 Whitby obsessed web site builder
59-99 lightweight site admins
100 Mild drinker
101+ Should be at the pub

I realise this is a rather short sighted scale, but it should kick off some ideas.

Filo
18-09-2009, 12:05
Hi Conrad,

I think "Whitby Obsessed web builder" might just refer to me. I would prefer something like "Steam Engines, Beer and Women" which is the name of my new book which, incidentally, is unlikely to be serialised in any of the national newspapers, or in fact ever be published.

Filo:D

Dave M
18-09-2009, 12:26
I think "Whitby Obsessed web builder" might just refer to me. I would prefer something like "Steam Engines, Beer and Women" which is the name of my new book which, incidentally, is unlikely to be serialised in any of the national newspapers, or in fact ever be published.
I'm sure any references were purely coincidental. Or maybe not! ;)

Steam Engines, Beer and Women sounds like a promising name for a book, should appeal to most of the 100,000 CAMRA members straight off I'd have thought. It is amazing when I see just how many of the beer festivals I add to the site have a train connection.

Dave M
18-09-2009, 12:31
On the original point, I'll try to think up some categories during the day.

0 posts has to be Teetotaler though I think
1-9 posts - Gas head, after all no-one wants a gassy head on their beer do they? (That is my reason and I'm sticking to it)
10-19 - Cider Drinker which is obviously greater than a Gas Head.

Ok, I'd better stop there and give it more thought.

arwkrite
20-09-2009, 15:54
I live in North Herefordshire and at the moment we are up to our necks in cider apples, anyone would think they grow on trees. Although I have been in the county for over forty years I have never liked the stuff. I appreciate the skill and craft in cider making is just as great as that in brewing beer. Its just a matter that my taste buds dislike any cider I have tasted over the years.
Terms such as "WKD drinker", "Red Bull Consumer" and " Spritzer Swallower" may encourage members to up their number of posts in a rush to loose such rating levels. :eek:

Soup Dragon
20-09-2009, 16:54
I live in North Herefordshire and at the moment we are up to our necks in cider apples, anyone would think they grow on trees. Although I have been in the county for over forty years I have never liked the stuff. I appreciate the skill and craft in cider making is just as great as that in brewing beer. Its just a matter that my taste buds dislike any cider I have tasted over the years.
Terms such as "WKD drinker", "Red Bull Consumer" and " Spritzer Swallower" may encourage members to up their number of posts in a rush to loose such rating levels. :eek:

Yes, i agree with Mr A in that its always nice to try and achieve the next level of postings - the highest achievement of course being Holden's MILD drinker - but a man has to go through many steps to achieve this.

You could start with Teetotal - I was teetotal for 5 years, but on my 6th birthday, my mom found me behind the sofa (you know, those things you see in every pub now) with a bottle of Manns Brown. :D

Dave M
20-09-2009, 23:42
my mom found me behind the sofa (you know, those things you see in every pub now)

Unfortunately you can't risk going behind those sofas for fear of having an eye out on some damn twigs.

Conrad
23-09-2009, 16:34
Ok,

New user titles have been instated, we have stolen a few of the ideas from this thread and added some of our own.

For the moment we have set it so that when you get over 250 posts you can set your own title, we are anticipating this will all be a bit of a moving goalpost though as we don't wan't everyone enjoying that privilege.

If you disagree with any of the titles, or more to the point have some better suggestions (I am sure there are many), then let us know and we may well update this again.

Conrad

Filo
23-09-2009, 16:49
Hi Conrad,

So am I right in thinking that I can change my status from "Member" to something of my choice when I get to 250 posts? I'd better start posting faster and think of a good title. Although "Steam Engines, Beer and Women" does have a nice ring to it. Oh... and please dont move the goalposts until I get past 250.

Regards,

Filo :D

Conrad
23-09-2009, 16:57
Yep, although hopefully you should now be showing 'Glass Half Full'. I think for the forum personalities who are regularly contributing it will be fun to let them create their own titles.

Filo
23-09-2009, 17:23
Hi Conrad,

Hang on, I've been giving my new title some thought.

"Glass Half full" is a good title for an Ale drinking optimist, but if the Ale drinker is a pessimist shouldn't he have the option of being called "Glass Half Empty"?

As for me, being a former Railway T&RS Engineer, Should I not have the option of "Glass Over Designed".

Just a thought,

Filo :D

Conrad
23-09-2009, 17:34
One of the later titles is Glass Half Empty, we couldn't decide which way round to put them and decided that Glass Half Empty held the promise of a new drink.

As for me, being a former Railway T&RS Engineer, Should I not have the option of "Glass Over Designed".

:D

If only that were still true.

Conrad
11-01-2010, 23:30
In celebration of Arwkrite's 251'st post we have moved the goal posts, there is a new rank for anyone hitting 251 posts and you will now need 351 to be able to select your name.

arwkrite
11-01-2010, 23:34
Thank you Conrad . I take back everything I have written about your prawn sandwiches.I feel hungry now ,must raid the larder.

Eddie86
12-01-2010, 00:05
:eek::eek::eek:
:twigs::twigs::twigs:
:pray::pray::pray:

Conrad
12-01-2010, 00:25
:eek::eek::eek:
:twigs::twigs::twigs:
:pray::pray::pray:
Oi you, get on with writing your blog entry, I've been enjoying those.

RogerB
12-01-2010, 11:07
I'm not totally sure what the current scale is or when my drinking habits move on to something a little more appetising. I don't fancy a life of spritzers! People are already looking at me a bit funny when I pop in the pub and it's not just Crossdress Thursdays anymore.

Conrad
12-01-2010, 11:48
I think it is 51 posts before we stop outright abusing you and give you a tolerable rank :), although it is still evolving, says I trying to add a hint of threat.

And people wouldn't look at you a bit funny if you just wore the dress as they expected :p

Conrad
12-01-2010, 12:01
Thank you Conrad . I take back everything I have written about your prawn sandwiches.I feel hungry now ,must raid the larder.
Just in case you need some help (it took me long enough to look it up again). If you want to set your title Ark, click on settings in the top right, then the Edit Profile on the left and it should be the second option down the page - Custom User Title under optional information.

Not the most obvious, not that I can talk about writing interfaces.

Eddie86
12-01-2010, 22:21
Oi you, get on with writing your blog entry, I've been enjoying those.

Done. I think you'll realise why I haven't updated it recently!

Conrad
13-01-2010, 11:04
Done. I think you'll realise why I haven't updated it recently!
Sounds like you are hard at work then, you'll be glad to reopen for the relaxation it provides!

oldboots
13-01-2010, 16:18
Eddie (and his dad) are putting the pub back together now, I wonder how many bits they'll have left over?

Conrad
13-01-2010, 16:26
:D

Either that or they will be foaming all those ales in their cask, whilst serving nothing.

runningdog
13-01-2010, 22:30
I wonder how many bits they'll have left over?

It'll be the wiring, I'm told there's always more when you try to put it back again...:drinkup:...

Eddie86
13-01-2010, 22:45
It'll be the wiring, I'm told there's always more when you try to put it back again...:drinkup:...

We actually spent today 'burying' all the wires, which basically involves (for those lucky enough not to experience it!) chiselling out lines in the plaster, securing all wires in those lines, then them being plastered over tomorrow. And low and behold, we have a 6 foot piece of telephone wire spare, but only from one of 6 lines, originally all the same length...

It turns out we'll be re-opening the day after the winter fest up in manchester next week. May have to delay it to the Friday...

runningdog
14-01-2010, 17:29
[QUOTE=Eddie86;4572]low and behold, we have a 6 foot piece of telephone wire spare
QUOTE]
I'd like to say it was me, Eddie, but I cannot tell a lie, it was me dog..........:whistle:

Conrad
06-04-2010, 00:14
Time to revive an old thread and try and make it briefly on topic.

I notice RogerB has now taken his post tally to the point where he can control his own title. So time to once again move the goalposts, does anyone have any great ideas for new titles we can use to incentivise (abuse) our members with? If not me and Dave are going to have to try and show our imaginations, and that never ends well.

arwkrite
06-04-2010, 01:37
What about " Shed Dweller " ?:D:DSorry RogerB couldn't resist it.

suggestion....

Old Soak.
Bar Room Resident.
Hardened Drinker
Lost Cause
Part of the Furniture
Drayman
Beer Mat Collector
Spent Penny
Pickled Egg
Good Elf
Unsafe pair of Hands
Beer Baron
Potperson

I know they are rubbish but its 1.40am and I am stone cold sober.

trainman
06-04-2010, 07:32
RogerB has now taken his post tally to the point where he can control his own title. So time to once again move the goalposts

Not sure why, so long as a user's own choice is not abusive/sensitive etc.?

What about " Shed Dweller " ?:D:DSorry RogerB couldn't resist it.

I actually think that's quite a good one. I know it was coined elsewhere with the puerile intent to be rude to the incumbents of the title, but I'd happily spend time in that venerable company with many beers. Aspire to shed access!

arwkrite
06-04-2010, 08:18
.My comment was purely tongue in cheek. I was happy to be considered part of such company. BoFs quaffing ale in a shed at the bottom of the garden. Sounds just like some pubs I enjoy visiting.

trainman
06-04-2010, 08:37
.My comment was purely tongue in cheek. I was happy to be considered part of such company. BoFs quaffing ale in a shed at the bottom of the garden. Sounds just like some pubs I enjoy visiting.

I know, and... exactly!

Eddie86
06-04-2010, 11:12
I notice RogerB has now taken his post tally to the point where he can control his own title. So time to once again move the goalposts

why?

RogerB
06-04-2010, 11:30
why?

I must have been a Glenn Hoddle in a previous life. :eek:

Conrad
06-04-2010, 13:01
Not sure why, so long as a user's own choice is not abusive/sensitive etc.?

why?
:)

We are trying to stop everyone having the ability to change their title. The intention is that it is a bit of fun and keeps things rolling in the forum. So once a couple have got through to that level we add an extra rank and push the number of posts required up again, once it hits a stupidly high point (I am thinking a 1000 posts) I will stop messing with it and anyone who gets to that point from then on can control their title.

So where would you slot Shed Dweller in our current hierarchy?

Teetotal
Spritzer Swallower
Glass Half Full
Real Ale Drinker
Glass Half Empty
Just Missed the Round

RogerB
06-04-2010, 13:07
:)
So where would you slot Shed Dweller in our current hierarchy?

I would have thought it was the last stage before hitting the gutter! :whistle:

Conrad
06-04-2010, 13:14
I'm wondering if "I'll Stay on me own" fits into that lot somewhere.

Oggwyn Trench
06-04-2010, 13:18
The local Winos and Alkies are known as the Special Brew Boys one step up from Shed Dweller

Eddie86
06-04-2010, 17:31
Right, so 39 posts before Conrad kicks me in the unmentionables again...

Eddie86
06-04-2010, 17:32
Right, so 39 posts before Conrad kicks me in the unmentionables again...

:D;):eek::muppet::whistle:

Conrad
06-04-2010, 17:44
"Kicked in the unmentionables", I can see that working as a rank ;)

Eddie86
06-04-2010, 18:08
"Kicked in the unmentionables", I can see that working as a rank ;)

Is that before or after 'in the gutter' though?

Conrad
06-04-2010, 22:22
We could use it more than once?

(why is it I feel like I am self incriminating in some way here?)

hopwas
08-04-2010, 10:40
Once it hits a stupidly high point (I am thinking a 1000 posts) I will stop messing with it and anyone who gets to that point from then on can control their title.

Not long to go for me.. :whistle:

Conrad
08-04-2010, 12:07
Ah but you already can change your title Hoppy, although I have frequently considered withdrawing it on grounds of bad taste ;)

hopwas
08-04-2010, 13:36
Ah but you already can change your title Hoppy, although I have frequently considered withdrawing it on grounds of bad taste ;)

Oi... I wouldn't mind put as "Bristol Rover's Number one fan" but then I am not Bristol Rovers fan.. :whistle:

Conrad
08-04-2010, 13:39
Oi... I wouldn't mind put as "Bristol Rover's Number one fan" but then I am not Bristol Rovers fan.. :whistle:
Well I knew that, clearly you enjoy watching football :whistle:

Eddie86
08-04-2010, 22:50
I wish I'd copyrighted that whistling emoticon!

Conrad
21-05-2010, 16:32
You took too long Ed, I just noticed that Farway has just hit the magic 351 (and in fact a&h I now realise as well).

As a note to Farway, a&h and RogerB you can all personalise your title on the forums if you want, it is embedded somewhere in settings (more instructions can be provided if needed).

Otherwise I have added a new title and you will need to get to 501 posts to escape it. I'll probably leave it there for the forseeable unless I need to persecute Ed again.

aleandhearty
21-05-2010, 17:24
I just noticed that Farway has just hit the magic 351 (and in fact a&h I now realise as well).

When you said you'd cranked up the post count, I thought you were being serious, you little tease. :) Will have to get my thinking cap on.