PDA

View Full Version : Shrewsbury Crawl

Andy Ven
24-09-2010, 18:35
There's not a Shrewsbury crawl set up on PG so I'm looking for an expert on the area (I know this is Oggwyn Trench's manor) to suggest a walking crawl of up to 10 pubs. Contributions welcome from everyone. Thanks :cheers:

ROBCamra
24-09-2010, 18:44
There's not a Shrewsbury crawl set up on PG so I'm looking for an expert on the area (I know this is Oggwyn Trench's manor) to suggest a walking crawl of up to 10 pubs. Contributions welcome from everyone. Thanks :cheers:

Only 10???

From station down the riverside

Salopian
Shrewsbury Hotel
Armoury

cross river

Boat House
Wheatsheaf (Frankwell)
Anchor

cross back over Frankwell bridge.

Montgomery's Tower
Admiral Benbow
Coach & Horses
Three Fishes
Wheatsheaf (centre)
Nags Head
Loggerheads
Yorkshire House

back to station or a detour up Coton Hill to

The Woodman

:cheers:

If you're really thirsty there's a few more as well. :D

Oggwyn Trench
24-09-2010, 19:23
Cant really argue with ROBCamra , a basic crawl from the Station would be
Salopian Bar
Shrewsbury Hotel (JDW)
Armoury
Montgomerys Tower(Lloyds no1)
Coach and Horses
Admiral Benbow (watch the opening hours)
Wheatsheaf
Three Fishes
Loggerheads
Yorkshire House

That should give you a variety of pubs and 60/70 handpulls :D

If you cross the river theres a footbridge just up from the Boathouse into Quarry Park , if you walk up through the park it brings you out just up the road from the Coach and Horses , its saves a lot of time

There are lots of mini crawls you can do round the outskirts as well

Andy Ven
24-09-2010, 21:26
Cheers chaps. I'd rather have too many on the list and cherry pick rather than having too few :cheers:

Oggwyn Trench
24-09-2010, 22:49
I am acctually off to Shrewsbury tomorrow(Saturday) going to have a wander round some of the pubs in the outskirts , Coton Hill , Frankwell , Bell Vue and Coleham , there are a lot of decent pubs round there that get overlooked .

trainman
24-09-2010, 22:50
A previous thread on the subject.
http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?3475-Shrewsbury-s-six-best-pubs

Maybe ROBC can remind us (me) of the best chippy in town; he described the portions as summat like ''battered dolphin-size cod with 2lb o' spuds on the side''. Regretfully, I lost the thread or PM in which this nugget of info was stored... (& I still have Shrewsbury to 'do', possible rethink of next year's 50th on the cards here..)

ROBCamra
25-09-2010, 07:57
Maybe ROBC can remind us (me) of the best chippy in town; he described the portions as summat like ''battered dolphin-size cod with 2lb o' spuds on the side''.

If Oggys going to Coleham then maybe he can confirm my opinion of this chippy.

At the bottom of Wyle Cop (Nags Head) heading towards the English Bridge there's a small street to the right (St Julians Friars). There's a pub on here called the Hop & Friar. Continue past and you'll come to a footbridge across the river (Greyfriars Bridge). When you get to the other side there's a chippy almost facing you, that's the one.

Of course if you've come this far you might as well call in the The Crown and then make your way back into town via the Cross Foxes, Seven Stars, & Globe. Or possibly head further out of town to The Belle Vue Tavern. :cheers:

Oggwyn Trench
25-09-2010, 08:06
If Oggys going to Coleham then maybe he can confirm my opinion of this chippy.

At the bottom of Wyle Cop (Nags Head) heading towards the English Bridge there's a small street to the right (St Julians Friars). There's a pub on here called the Hop & Friar. Continue past and you'll come to a footbridge across the river (Greyfriars Bridge). When you get to the other side there's a chippy almost facing you, that's the one.

Of course if you've come this far you might as well call in the The Crown and then make your way back into town via the Cross Foxes, Seven Stars, & Globe. Or possibly head further out of town to The Belle Vue Tavern. :cheers:

Dont forget the Prince of Wales

RogerB
25-09-2010, 08:12
possible rethink of next year's 50th on the cards here..)

I'm also planning a crawl somewhere for my 50th next year. Luckily it falls on a Sunday but I was hoping Spurs wouldn't be at home (they're playing Bolton on the Saturday) which would have given me a full weekend of potential debauchery. I may go off to somewhere like St Albans or Cambridge after footy and have the Saturday evening doing a few pubs and a late night curry, stay overnight and then have a big session on "the" Sunday.

trainman
25-09-2010, 09:00
but I was hoping Spurs wouldn't be at home (they're playing Bolton on the Saturday)

Hmm, I think that might be one you could let slide, in the circumstances... we won't tell anyone.

Oggwyn Trench
25-09-2010, 21:01
Slightly pished but have just done
Woodman , Coton Hill
Royal Oak , Coton Hill
Bird in Hand , Coton Hill
Wheatsheaf , Frankwell
Boathouse , Frankwell
Crown , Coleham
Prince of Wales , Bellvue
Globe , Coleham
Then back to Oakengates and a few pints in the Crown .

Very impressed with the Woodman good selection of well kept beer and very friendly , my new favorite Shrewsbury pub

gillhalfpint
26-09-2010, 18:16
Love the Woodman and always try to get in there. Both rooms had a real fire on when we were there last, seems quite a while ago now, and I was almost begging for a poker to give a real fire a poke, but didn't get one!

Lovely friendly pub though. Must visit Shrewsbury again. Great place to wander round. Wonder if Dolphin is brewing yet. Last 2 or 3 times there we got an excuse as to why none of their beers on.

hopwas
27-09-2010, 14:19
I am going to Shrewsbury on 11th Oct and staying in hotel till 12th Oct so ideal time for me browse hidden gems in town centre so any recommendations?

ROBCamra
27-09-2010, 14:23
I am going to Shrewsbury on 11th Oct and staying in hotel till 12th Oct so ideal time for me browse hidden gems in town centre so any recommendations?

All/any of the ones I suggested at the beginning of this thread Hoppy. You won't be disappointed.

hopwas
27-09-2010, 14:27
All/any of the ones I suggested at the beginning of this thread Hoppy. You won't be disappointed.

Cheers! One more question, I prefer to stick around in Town centre so obviously I can't visit them all but which pub WOULD you rate very highly?

ROBCamra
27-09-2010, 14:35
Cheers! One more question, I prefer to stick around in Town centre so obviously I can't visit them all but which pub WOULD you rate very highly?

If I had to choose just a few, I'd say Admiral Benbow, Coach & Horses, Three Fishes, Salopian. Plus The Yorkshire House just because you have to.

You're always going to do Shrewsbury Hotel & Montgomery's Tower (both JDWs) whatever I say. :D

hopwas
27-09-2010, 14:42
You're always going to do Shrewsbury Hotel & Montgomery's Tower (both JDWs) whatever I say. :D

:eek:

How did you guess... :rolleyes:

By the way have done Shrewsbury but not Montgomery's Tower..

Oggwyn Trench
27-09-2010, 17:14
Shrewsburys not that big so good pubs like the Prince of Wales(Bell Vue) and the Woodman(Coton Hill) are only a short walk from the centre .

hopwas
27-09-2010, 17:29
I made mistake on date.. it should be 12th to 13th Oct..

Anyway on that night of 12th, England Vs Montergo will be on TV so plenty of choices in Town as long they sell decent real ales.

dannyorevey
28-09-2010, 19:53
I did a small pub crawl from the station in 2008 in Shrewsbury and found 2 totally contrasting experiences - went to the Woodman which had superb beer and the guy there was really welcoming, whilst also went to Three Fishes which was a total disappointment in the hospitality stakes and got the impression that if you're not known you're not welcome!

Danny

Oggwyn Trench
28-09-2010, 20:26
I did a small pub crawl from the station in 2008 in Shrewsbury and found 2 totally contrasting experiences - went to the Woodman which had superb beer and the guy there was really welcoming, whilst also went to Three Fishes which was a total disappointment in the hospitality stakes and got the impression that if you're not known you're not welcome!

Danny

I have allways found the Three Fishes great for beer but it can be very clique and cold , after 5 minutes in the Woodman i felt like a local its fantastic

rpadam
29-09-2010, 18:26
I have allways found the Three Fishes great for beer but it can be very clique and cold
The Three Fishes struck me exactly the same when I visited...