PDA

View Full Version : I have booked day off for...

hopwas
20-09-2010, 12:11
.. my 2nd Nottingham Pub Crawl on 4th Oct! :cheers:

Hopefully the weather is slightly warmer this time (unlike my last visit was bloody freezing!)

Not decided on the route but will draw up the route later this week..

I am already starting to miss pub crawls after long time away..

gillhalfpint
23-09-2010, 10:34
Have a good time Hoppy.

Look forward to your pub reviews as we are having a week at Arnold from the 10th so that we can go roung the pubs and have a few days at Nottingham beer festival.

Al 10000
23-09-2010, 17:26
Look forward to your pub reviews as we are having a week at Arnold from the 10th so that we can go roung the pubs and have a few days at Nottingham beer festival.[/QUOTE]
I quite like going to Arnold for a drink though most of the pubs on front street dont have any real ale if you get a dayrider ticket on NCT get off the bus going into Nottingham at sherwood there are 6 pubs on mansfield road 4 of these have real ale my favourite is the Chestnut Tree.
If you get on another bus towards town get off at the top of mansfield rd with its junction with forest road you will see
the Forest Tavern i think this maybe a Castle Rock house opens about 5 pm
if you walk down the hill these are the next pubs that sell real ale
Lincolnshire Poacher Castle rock tied house plus guests
Nags Head 3 or 4 pumps
Golden Fleece real ales and live music
The Peacock beers from w&d/Marstons
Rose of England about 4 real ales

I think Bensons is now a fizz house when you reach the bottom of mansfield road you are then on parliament street.
I hope this list helps you a bit if you want to know which pubs in Arnold or any other part of Nottingham i might be able to help you:cheers:.

arwkrite
23-09-2010, 23:46

"Look I'm telling you, Hoppy is coming. I read it on Pubsgalore and he wanted it to be warmer than last time." Nuff said.:D

gillhalfpint
24-09-2010, 23:39
We will be taking the bus into Nottingham most days I expect so we can get round the pubs before the beer festival starts.

Visited Lincolnshire Poacher before and saw it had a plaque twinning the pub with one in Amsterdam, then while in Amsterdam last year we visited that pub (Inn de Wildman I believe) and saw the plaque twinning with Lincolnshire Poacher.

Looking forward to a good week.

trainman
24-09-2010, 23:56
Gill, if you've not visited the Plough in nearby Radford (a mile or so West) then I'd recommend it, although, as home to Nottingham Brewery, I doubt you'll be finding many new ticks. Magpie Brewery also started up in Nottingham now, I hear; don't know what their circulation is like yet.

gillhalfpint
25-09-2010, 10:00
Thanks for the suggestions. I have started plotting them on a map - better too many to choose from than too few!

Just found an old Mild Trail that I got out of the Nottingham Drinker in 2007, I save anything like that I find in CAMRA mags, and a lot of the pubs mentioned are on that. Will plot the others onto it as bus routes are there too.

hopwas
27-09-2010, 15:09
Thanks for your suggestions.

However, now I need to jot up route from Nottingham Rail station (with couple of JDWs if possible) and I would like sort of loop route if you know what I mean. Preferably 1 to 2 mile radius. Yate's or student bars are out of question! :)

Any ideas are welcome..

Hoppy

ROBCamra
27-09-2010, 15:31
Thanks for your suggestions.

However, now I need to jot up route from Nottingham Rail station (with couple of JDWs if possible) and I would like sort of loop route if you know what I mean. Preferably 1 to 2 mile radius. Yate's or student bars are out of question! :)

Any ideas are welcome..

Hoppy

First and/or last has to be VAT & Fiddle, just outside the station entrance.

Then head towards town and turn left at the junction.

Then Fellows, Morton & Clayton, Canalhouse, Company Inn (JDW).

Keep on going to Olde Trip To Jerusalem.

Up the hill and on to the Salutation/Royal Children/Approach.

Then head towards the main square to the Bell + 2 JDWs (one just off the square).

Across square towards the Lace Market and try Cock & Hoop + Keans Head. Back down towards Station Street and call in the Newshouse and then back to VAT & Fiddle.

If you're not blitzed by then there's something wrong with you.:D

hopwas
27-09-2010, 15:41
First and/or last has to be VAT & Fiddle, just outside the station entrance.

Then head towards town and turn left at the junction.

Then Fellows, Morton & Clayton, Canalhouse, Company Inn (JDW).

Up the hill and on to the Salutation/Royal Children/Approach.

Then head towards the main square to the Bell + 2 JDWs (one just off the square).

Across square towards the Lace Market and try Cock & Hoop + Keans Head. Back down towards Station Street and call in the Newshouse and then back to VAT & Fiddle.

If you're not blitzed by then there's something wrong with you.:D

Wow! thanks for your help, Rob

I have been to Vat & Fiddle, Fellows, Mortons & Clayton, Royal Children, Bell and JDW opposite Bell if I remember correctly but I am more than happy to revisit them.

Never been to Olde Trip to Jerusalem, I was told it is oldest inn in England.

Should be cracking day and potential 7-8 pinter trip which is my norm :)

hopwas
27-09-2010, 16:02
Route sorted and jotted down in my book. Only 7 days to go.. Havent been on pub crawl since Digbeth pub crawl way back in June so I am getting excited as I am counting down days, hours, minute and seconds :)

It has been nearly 7 years since my last visit to Nottingham (blimey time flying fast.. I must be getting old!)

hopwas
28-09-2010, 10:03
I was checking out pubs I have visited in my previous pub crawl.. I remember The Blue Bell (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/30833/) and I loved that pub.. very quirky and beautiful decors. I may go to that pub for old time sake.

Another one I can remember is The Coach & Horses (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/30864/) we only popped in cos it was freezing off our arse in very cold weather. I might have a quick look around but not buy a drink there.

There is couple of pubs that I can't remember the name. Hopefully it will come back to my mind.

Al 10000
29-09-2010, 11:46
I was checking out pubs I have visited in my previous pub crawl.. I remember The Blue Bell (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/30833/) and I loved that pub.. very quirky and beautiful decors. I may go to that pub for old time sake.

Another one I can remember is The Coach & Horses (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/30864/) we only popped in cos it was freezing off our arse in very cold weather. I might have a quick look around but not buy a drink there.

There is couple of pubs that I can't remember the name. Hopefully it will come back to my mind.

The Blue Bell is still going though not sure if it still sells real ale.
The Coach and Horses has'nt altered in years having a drink in here is like going back to the 60s,there are usually 2 real ales on but nothing special this pub is full of local characters and i would advise a visit before somone tries to ruin the place and do it up.

hopwas
29-09-2010, 12:13
A1 10000,

Is his pub, Langtry's any good? Never been there http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/58126/

ROBCamra
29-09-2010, 12:19
A1 10000,

Is his pub, Langtry's any good? Never been there http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/58126/

Well I think it's decent enough Hoppy as I'm the only one who has reviewed it! :p

hopwas
29-09-2010, 12:29
Well I think it's decent enough Hoppy as I'm the only one who has reviewed it! :p

:rolleyes:

On serious note, what pubs would you recommonded just for beautiful decors? I am sucker for victorian buildings (like Barton Arms, Aston)

Al 10000
29-09-2010, 13:12
A1 10000,

Hi Hopwas i really rate Langtrys as a pub i was in there yesterday afternoon.
The pub has bare boards and is one room with different drinking areas,i quite like sitting next to the window and watch the world go by there are 8 real ales on the bar plus a real Cider but of late the beer choice has gone downhill with most beers coming from larger independants having said that the beer quality is usually very good i had a drink of Ringwood Best which was decent enough,the pub also does reasonably priced food all day.
I hope this helps you Alan.

hopwas
29-09-2010, 13:15
Hi Hopwas i really rate Langtrys as a pub i was in there yesterday afternoon.
The pub has bare boards and is one room with different drinking areas,i quite like sitting next to the window and watch the world go by there are 8 real ales on the bar plus a real Cider but of late the beer choice has gone downhill with most beers coming from larger independants having said that the beer quality is usually very good i had a drink of Ringwood Best which was decent enough,the pub also does reasonably priced food all day.
I hope this helps you Alan.

mmmm.. reasonably priced food all day. I may pop in for lunch with pint of Ringwood Best :)

ROBCamra
29-09-2010, 13:37
:rolleyes:

On serious note, what pubs would you recommonded just for beautiful decors? I am sucker for victorian buildings (like Barton Arms, Aston)

Well The Olde Trip, Salutation & The Bell are ancient, well before Victoria.

The Canalhouse is unique because of the canal being inside the pub, but that's all.

The historic pubs are outside the city centre. See here.

http://www.pubhistorysociety.co.uk/html/nottingham.html

hopwas
29-09-2010, 14:49
I have heard The Lincolnshire Poacher got rave reviews so I wonder how long it will take me walk from station to there.

Al 10000
29-09-2010, 15:30
I have heard The Lincolnshire Poacher got rave reviews so I wonder how long it will take me walk from station to there.

Hi Hopwas it is a good 20 min walk to the Lincolnshire Poacher but well worth it.
An easier way is when you walk towards the city centre from the train station you will see Broadmarsh bus station on your right go in there and walk to the end of the bus station and go to the bay nearist to the entrance to the shopping centre a free bus leaves here every 10 mins to the victoria bus station has you go into this bus station you are going up Mansfield road so head back out of the station and about 5 mins walk up mansfield road the Poacher is on the left.
If you walk back down these pubs are half worth a visit.
Nags Head
Golden Fleece
Rose of England
The Peacock
I hope this helps you on your Nottingham crawl Alan.:cheers:

hopwas
02-10-2010, 09:53
Right.. I have searched bit deeper so I need your advice on ths following pubs..

Navigation Inn, Wilford Street
Pit and Pendulum.. One of pubs I have visited in my previous visit. Is it still going strong?
The Dragon 67 Long Row

Thanks

Hoppy

gillhalfpint
02-10-2010, 23:51
The Dragon is one of the ones on my list to do as it is in the 2011 Good Beer Guide and I have not been there before. I have it marked on the map as part of a pedestrian area near Market Square tram stop close to the Council House and Tourist Information Centre.

Al 10000
03-10-2010, 15:53
Right.. I have searched bit deeper so I need your advice on ths following pubs..

Navigation Inn, Wilford Street
Pit and Pendulum.. One of pubs I have visited in my previous visit. Is it still going strong?
The Dragon 67 Long Row

Thanks

Hoppy

Hi Hopwas The Navigation is still there it is right next to the locks there are about 10 pumps on the bar but every time i have been in here recently they seem to have only one beer on which is usually Bank's Bitter.
This is a decent pub though usually quiet.

The Dragon is in my opinion a very good pub with 3 real ales and well worth a visit,if you read my comments on PG you will know more about this pub.

The Pit and Pendulam is still there but i car'nt comment on this pub as i hav'nt been in for years.
I hope this helps you on your crawl Alan :cheers: