PDA

View Full Version : Pubs Galore Meet Up - Friday 12 November - Birmingham

Pages : [1] 2

RogerB
17-09-2010, 17:02
As stated in a separate thread, we are contemplating a meet up in Birmingham on Friday 12 November. Most of us will presmably be getting there mid-morning/lunchtime and will hopefully do a few pubs around the City Centre before departing early/mid evening. Since it will involve booking days off and reserving train/coach tickets, anyone interested should make their interest known here as it doesn't seem to be worth the costs and effort if only 2 people show up. I am up for it as is Quinno and Trainman was certainly not far from signing up. Anyone else interested?

Soup Dragon
17-09-2010, 17:10
yes, will look into it

Conrad
17-09-2010, 17:55
Should be possible for Dave and I to make it, I can give plentiful reviews on lemonade ;).

Oggwyn Trench
17-09-2010, 21:50
Brum easy for me , Fridays not so , will ask , beg , offer sexual favours :eek: fingers crossed

trainman
18-09-2010, 06:42
Having suggested some well-priced train tickets on the other thread, I notice (ok, I looked it up) that Roger's coach options currently amount to just £6.50, a good deal in anyone's book. But does one take the speed* & gained drinking time for the extra tenner?
My potential participation is currently in the lap of my sponsors...

*of the train, not whizz

Rex_Rattus
18-09-2010, 11:12
offer sexual favours
That's blown your chances!

rpadam
18-09-2010, 12:57
Cheapest train deal from London seems to be £7 - earliest 11:03 (arrive 12:27) - and back again at £7 - earliest 19:30 (arrive 20:54) - total £14.

Anybody thinking of getting out to the Barton Arms, Aston (for building and beer) or the Bell, Harbourne (for location, mainly)?

Farway
18-09-2010, 14:33
Sorry, count me out

oldboots
20-09-2010, 08:17
Might be fun, I've still got a fair bit of Birmingham city centre to explore so count me in.

RogerB
20-09-2010, 09:01
I'm all booked up. Will be arriving at New Street at 10.23 and head straight for the Briar Rose for a stomach liner/churner breakfast and starter pint. I am booked on the 20.10 back to London which gives me the best part of 9 hours and hopefully some of you locals that can't get the day off might be able to pop along for a couple of hours in the early evening although I can't guarantee that we will be fully functional by then.

I don't know Brum very well for pubs so I will rely on you chaps/chapesses with local knowledge to nominate a few "essentials" and plan an itinery. I will go with the flow although I would prefer to stick within walking distance of the City Centre rather than start journeying to the outskirts. There seems to be enough choice to keep us going for a day. Maybe this thread needs to be revisited for thoughts and ideas...

http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?2486-Brum-Crawl&highlight=birmingham

Quinno
20-09-2010, 09:23
good stuff, I will book my train tickets in a bit.

My knowledge of Brum is non-existent so will go with the flow.

However, I would like to go to the Wellington as it's one of those pubs I have heard a lot about and would like to check it out :drinkup:

RogerB
20-09-2010, 09:30
I should mention that I don't want to go home with 12 pints of Banks Bitter inside me.

Quinno
20-09-2010, 09:35
I should mention that I don't want to go home with 12 pints of Banks Bitter inside me.

I drink enough of that in Aberystwyth so I'm in total agreement!

hopwas
20-09-2010, 11:23
Anybody thinking of getting out to the Barton Arms, Aston (for building and beer) or the Bell, Harbourne (for location, mainly)?

Barton Arms is bit of hike so get No 7 bus (Upper Bull Street) and drop off directly opposite Barton Arms.

White Horse in Harbourne is far better with around 10 real ales on sale. It was closed for refurb on my last visit (June) but should be open by now.

hopwas
20-09-2010, 11:24
However, I would like to go to the Wellington as it's one of those pubs I have heard a lot about and would like to check it out :drinkup:

You will not disappointed with Welly... Trust me :)

rpadam
20-09-2010, 21:20
I'll be there for at least part of the day, on my way back from Liverpool where I'll be on the Thursday.

Andy Ven
20-09-2010, 21:39
I work in Brum. I have a crawl planned for the following day but I might book an afternoon off and join you for a few halves.

My pointer would be the Welly for beer choice, Barton's Arms for grandest pub (sorry, I have a big hang up when it comes to the Old Joint Stock) and Digbeth or Hockley as a place to crawl around.

Do we all have to write a review afterwards?

aleandhearty
21-09-2010, 10:14
Would love to come, but may be out of my league for a while. (Not working at present). Can anyone suggest where I can find the best discount train fares online? I've tried thetrainline.com, but it still seemed rather expensive, even when buying two singles. (The coach takes forever to get there so is not really an option.)

Quinno
21-09-2010, 10:57
raileasy.co.uk is decent - however like all websites of that nature, I understand they are given a specific amount of tickets and once they're gone, they're gone.

to be honest, the best fares available are usually those from the bloke at the ticketing office on a quiet weekday afternoon a good fortnight before travelling (that's how it seems to work in Reading anyway!).

RogerB
21-09-2010, 11:10
Would love to come, but may be out of my league for a while. (Not working at present). Can anyone suggest where I can find the best discount train fares online? I've tried thetrainline.com, but it still seemed rather expensive, even when buying two singles. (The coach takes forever to get there so is not really an option.)
I booked mine through the London Midland Railways site and got a ticket for £25 which I thought was a good deal. I have just tried a few sites for a Wakefield - Brum route and £36 was the cheapest I found which was also the London Midland Railways site - departs Wakey 12.24 (earlier trains are far more expensive), arr Brum 14.07 + return 19.03 arr back at Wakey 20.53 (£3 will buy you a couple of extra hours in the evening but most of us will have departed by then). http://tickets.londonmidland.com/lm/en/JourneyPlanning/MixingDeck

trainman
21-09-2010, 11:30
I booked mine through the London Midland Railways site and got a ticket for £25 which I thought was a good deal.
I don't get that Roger - more expensive than the trains previously suggested & still available? (eg £10 out, £7 back. £5 out available on slower trains).

A&H, your public transport option is ludicrous for a 110mile trip but, if you were determined, and time on your side, you could get a £7.80 day return (train) to Sheffield (27mins) and then pick up a megabus to Brum, varying between 105mins & 135mins, currently £5e/w for that date.

trainman
21-09-2010, 11:34
to be honest, the best fares available are usually those from the bloke at the ticketing office on a quiet weekday afternoon a good fortnight before travelling (that's how it seems to work in Reading anyway!).
Hmm, I like to check it myself first, so I know what deals might be out there - not much incentive for the ticket office to go out of their way to find the best deal although, you're right, occasionally someone will.

Quinno
21-09-2010, 11:36
Hmm, I like to check it myself first, so I know what deals might be out there - not much incentive for the ticket office to go out of their way to find the best deal although, you're right, occasionally someone will.

hence the quiet weekday afternoon - they're often bored and will do a bit of searching if you smile at them :)

RogerB
21-09-2010, 12:11
I don't get that Roger - more expensive than the trains previously suggested & still available? (eg £10 out, £7 back. £5 out available on slower trains).

I couldn't find anything that cheap although I didn't really have time to or the inclination to scour the web in too great detail. I was expecting the train to be £40/50 so £25 was good enough for me even if it can be done cheaper.

aleandhearty
21-09-2010, 12:18
Quinno, Roger, trainman: Thanks for your suggestions. Thirty six quid was the cheapest rail option I could find. The thought of a rail /coach combo doesn't seem too bad on the outward journey, but the permutations for disaster on the return trip, when I'll be 'nicely', seem daunting to say the least! :D Will investigate further though.

Conrad
21-09-2010, 12:35
Quinno, Roger, trainman: Thanks for your suggestions. Thirty six quid was the cheapest rail option I could find. The thought of a rail /coach combo doesn't seem too bad on the outward journey, but the permutations for disaster on the return trip, when I'll be 'nicely', seem daunting to say the least! :D Will investigate further though.
That sounds strangely reminiscent of a conversation that was had in the office.

Andy Ven
21-09-2010, 12:36
If anyone is travelling on the West Coast mainline between Euston and Birmingham New Street, have you checked the Virgin Trains website? Off peak one way starts at £7.

Oggwyn Trench
21-09-2010, 19:21
£8.70 return for me , trouble is doesnt look like i can get the day off:moremad:

Millay
22-09-2010, 06:41
I reckon I could make this, will be a good opportunity to meet a few of you. Just need to check that the boss isn't off that day.

For those travelling from the London area and looking for a bargain have a look at the Chilterns Railway website (http://tickets.chilternrailways.co.uk/Core/Templates/MixingDeck.aspx?NRMODE=Published&NRNODEGUID=%7b5D38307E-688B-47B9-BE3B-95ED6F92F267%7d&NRORIGINALURL=%2fch%2fen%2fjourneyplanning%2fmixin gdeck&NRCACHEHINT=Guest) for London Marylebone to Birmingham Moor St / Snow Hill fares. If this works correctly * the link should take you straight through to a 'mixing deck' showing fares at £5 single both ways. There's an 09:50 train arriving 11:49. Getting back there are fewer £5 fares on offer but there are currently a couple just before 4pm and one at 18:12 arriving in London 20:40

* didn't work, so you'll have to put in the details yourselves.

gillhalfpint
22-09-2010, 11:25
Don't know why I have just found this thread, but we can join in. Bartons Arms bus choices 33, 34, 51, 52 on the same road opposite pub.

RogerB
22-09-2010, 12:20
£8.70 return for me , trouble is doesnt look like i can get the day off:moremad:

Some of us journeymen will be around until at least 7/8 o'clock so even if you can sneak off early, it may be a worthwhile trip if you can get there for a couple of hours. I'm sure some of the Brum area contingent who aren't so reliant on the travelling side of things will be around until much later.

Oggwyn Trench
22-09-2010, 16:48
Some of us journeymen will be around until at least 7/8 o'clock so even if you can sneak off early, it may be a worthwhile trip if you can get there for a couple of hours. I'm sure some of the Brum area contingent who aren't so reliant on the travelling side of things will be around until much later.

Still working on it , knocking off early aint that easy when you drive for a living , on Fridays i am normally found wandering round South Cheshire , North Shropshire and bits of Wales , hopefully i can get the day off , but its looking grim at the moment

Andy Ven
22-09-2010, 21:46
I've counted 10 yes, 3 maybes and a couple of no's. A decent crowd.

I'm assuming most of us do not know what each other looks like and maybe each other's real names - should be fun!

Quinno
22-09-2010, 21:56
who's going to make the avatar badges this time??!? :confused::D

Wittenden
23-09-2010, 07:52

I'm assuming most of us do not know what each other looks like and maybe each other's real names - should be fun!

Sorry-I won't be able to make it.It sounds like fun!

RogerB
23-09-2010, 09:52

I know a few but not many. I may have a look around and see if I can buy an "Only 1 F' in Dartford" shirt ta aid recognition! Not sure where the guy in my avatar got his.

trainman
28-09-2010, 16:14
The raid is also booked for tm & an old drinking pal.
The attached are pubs that I'd be disappointed not to take in during my 8.5hr time allowance
http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/crawl/createcrawl.php?pub=53682

Notes:
1) Although Barton Arms is furthest off (this) route, it is praised architecturally and carries a range of Oakham ales, so it's a must for me (4mins bus from nr Bull).
2) I'd dearly have liked to visit Vine (Bull&Bladder), Brierley Hill, but time will be against that journey unfortunately.
3) White Swan (nr Anchor) gets good press for building, if not for beer; an option.
4) Old Joint Stock is praised, and may even have guests but it's still a Fullers house; an option.
5) A walk from POW (or 6min, £1.60 rtn train Moor St>Jewellery Qtr) would offer Lord Clifden & Red Lion. I hate the idea of 'urban art', but read that I may track down my elusive Butty Bach; a conundrum.
6) If Roger's on a 15-pinter, I hope he gets 5 down before the mortals start arriving, (in my case 11:27).

Anyway, I didn't close out that crawl, but if I limit myself to those 8, that'll allow a couple of others en route, or jokers (Welly & Barton for me).

I'm very pleased to be able to add my name to the list, & look forward to meeting those who can make it on the day.

ps. As well as our own esteemed contributors, John Bonser has written some good reviews of targets in the area on the other site (Mar10), I sent a PM to let him know the scheduled date.

pps. I asked a couple of Nottingham pals if they were interested, I hope that didn't break the rules.

RogerB
28-09-2010, 16:45
ps. As well as our own esteemed contributors, John Bonser has written some good reviews of targets in the area on the other site (Mar10), I sent a PM to let him know the scheduled date.

I also thought about dropping JB a line. Hopefully he will take the bait.

hopwas
28-09-2010, 16:57
5) A walk from POW (or 6min, £1.60 rtn train Moor St>Jewellery Qtr) would offer Lord Clifden & Red Lion. I hate the idea of 'urban art', but read that I may track down my elusive Butty Bach; a conundrum.

May I interest you with The Victoria (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/37928/) they do have Butty Bach and only 5 mins walk from New Street Station

trainman
28-09-2010, 18:54
May I interest you with The Victoria (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/37928/) they do have Butty Bach and only 5 mins walk from New Street Station

Noted, thanks. I hadn't spotted that as a target for decor, or ale, but gets some ok comments, incl for that beer... I'll put it on my reserves bench.

Delboy20
28-09-2010, 19:19
Hi all,

I will have to put myself in the "maybe" column for this one I'm afraid. Mainly financial reasons. I am not working at the moment and things are a little tight to be honest.
Having said that a lot can change over the next few weeks so you never know. As I live close to Brum ( and even closer to the Bull and Bladder, Trainman ! ) I could turn up at a moments notice. If this is likely I will PM one of the "leaders" for a phone number so I can find you all.
I may even wear my " I drank in Cradley Heath and survived " badge !!

Cheers,

Del.

PaulOfHorsham
28-09-2010, 19:28
A Friday you say?
An all-dayer?

Hmmmm. Going to have to think about this one.

Will there be competitive reviewing afterwards?:D

dannyorevey
28-09-2010, 20:42
Hopefully help but only an opinion but possible suggestions for a bit of a mix up for the City Centre (within the inner ring road):-

Beer:
Old Contemptibles
Pub du Vin (now in 2011 GBG)
Briar Rose (JDW)
Joint Stock
Wellington (you can check what beers they are selling via their web site)
and possibly City Tavern, and Victoria (if you like Wye Valley)

Architecture:
Probably not a lot in City unfotunately, but possibly Joint Stock, Bacchus and Prince of Wales offer a bit of variety.

Further afield Hockley/Jewellery Qtr, Digbeth, and the Lamp Tavern just south of the city offers Stanway, and the Barton Arms offers Oakham.

There is a new brewery in Birmingham, Two Towers, plus ABC and I think Birmingham Brewey is still going. So if you see any of these beers it would be worth sampling.

Now I feel thirsty!

Danny

Quinno
28-09-2010, 21:43
cheers Danny.

I think this might turn into a bit of an epic!

gillhalfpint
28-09-2010, 21:52
Well the Briar Rose JDW has rooms and is bang in the middle of your suggestions if you want an epic!!

RogerB
28-09-2010, 22:24
Hi all,

I will have to put myself in the "maybe" column for this one I'm afraid. Mainly financial reasons. I am not working at the moment and things are a little tight to be honest.

You'll be there and you know it! I'll buy you the first pint!

HTM69
30-09-2010, 13:23
I’m actually contemplating this little trip, myself. However, I generally don’t fare particularly well on so-called pub crawls. I’m usually sloshed by the 7th pint and am nowhere near the seasoned drinker that many here are. Sure, I could drink halves throw the odd soft drink into the mix to stabilize things, but that’s been the plan before and it never bloody happens that way!

I’ve thoroughly enjoyed the couple of London meet-up’s I have attended and will definitely attempt to come along should there be another one soon!

Conrad
30-09-2010, 15:15
If it helps it is a safe bet you are nowhere near the lightweight I am given I barely drink now.

RogerB
30-09-2010, 15:21
I'm not gonne be the one pushing people in shopping trolleys.

Quinno
30-09-2010, 15:26

A good way to advertise PuG, I'll get a banner to drape over the Lidl trolley. Do we have enough £1 coins?

trainman
30-09-2010, 18:43

A good way to advertise PuG, I'll get a banner to drape over the Lidl trolley. Do we have enough £1 coins?

Hehehe!!! But would such a procession be sufficiently unusual to attract attention in Brum...?

PaulOfHorsham
30-09-2010, 18:51
I’m actually contemplating this little trip, myself. However, I generally don’t fare particularly well on so-called pub crawls. I’m usually sloshed by the 7th pint and am nowhere near the seasoned drinker that many here are.

I'm with you HTM. Thinking about it, but not got as far as investigating train times, booking time off work or showing any kind of actual commitment or anything like that.

Andy Ven
30-09-2010, 20:29
I could drink halves throw the odd soft drink into the mix to stabilize things, but that’s been the plan before and it never bloody happens that way!

I think you lose control over the pace if you get into rounds. I buy my mate two to keep him quiet while I drink mine in my own time ..... he still finishes before me.

Halves are good if you want to try a wider variety

trainman
30-09-2010, 22:22
I think you lose control over the pace if you get into rounds.
That's why me & Ralph will be keeping to our own (similar paced) suppings, & staying well away from RogerB, any associated whip, or 2 gallon missions...
No offence, but I think 10 or 11pts will send me happily asleep back to laaaarndon.

an_ecumenical_matter
02-10-2010, 07:50
Hmmm. Costs me £10 for an anytime return to Brum and I'm off that day...........

Might see if the Gazebo is up for it too. :glass:

PaulOfHorsham
07-10-2010, 19:18
Hope I've done the right thing....

I'm travelling up on Chiltern, as that's not a route I know (so I'll have something different to look at out of the window) and back on Virgin (cos it'll be dark and they'll get me to London quicker).

Leave Marylebone at 10.20, arrive Moor St at 12.34.
Departing New St 19.50.

For those travelling from London and wondering about cost, I can tell you that I booked through Southern (since I already have an account and don't need any more), although the prices were the same as Chiltern & Virgin. It's costing all of £5 on the way out but, as the trains are faster, I have to pay £7 to come home.

Probably need to book the day off work next, I suppose.

I'll have to get full details of itinerary and probably a mobile number or two nearer the time.

Looking forward to meeting the PG crowd and making an arse of myself after just a few pints.

trainman
08-10-2010, 05:48
Hope I've done the right thing....
I'm travelling up on Chiltern...
Probably need to book the day off work next, I suppose...

Good prioritisation!

Conrad, is there a reason this link http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/crawl/cr....php?pub=53682 no longer displays my nascent crawl?
Thanks, tm

Conrad
08-10-2010, 05:55
It is a corrupt link, and are you logged in?

trainman
08-10-2010, 06:08
It is a corrupt link, and are you logged in?

I am now. Does the creation of a crawl have a lifespan? I didn't close that one out, subject to change...

Conrad
08-10-2010, 06:28
Nope, if you click on the right to get to your control panel, then click on the Create a Crawl link you should see the last Crawl you were working on, only 1 crawl can be worked on though, so if you delete all that info without committing it is gone.

trainman
08-10-2010, 06:55
Nope, if you click on the right to get to your control panel, then click on the Create a Crawl link you should see the last Crawl you were working on, only 1 crawl can be worked on though, so if you delete all that info without committing it is gone.

Ok, thanks C. Does this mean, though, that others cannot view the crawl until it is saved, which I believe makes it unchangeable?

ROBCamra
08-10-2010, 07:22
It's costing all of £5 on the way out but, as the trains are faster, I have to pay £7 to come home.

The prices you guys have to pay to get to Birmingham eh!

If I want to come it'll cost me £38 ish for specific trains at a specific times. What a rip off! :moremad:

Conrad
08-10-2010, 07:23
Ok, thanks C. Does this mean, though, that others cannot view the crawl until it is saved, which I believe makes it unchangeable?
Yes

trainman
08-10-2010, 07:33

If I want to come it'll cost me £38 ish for specific trains at a specific times. What a rip off! :moremad:

Crazy!
If you could hack a 2-hr coach trip, there are £4e/w options available from Manchester at www.megabus.com

oldboots
08-10-2010, 08:23

I'm still working on getting it under £50 :eek:

Bloody Northern Rail / Branson :moremad:

trainman
08-10-2010, 09:40
I'm still working on getting it under £50 :eek:

Similar megabus deal at £5e/w (from, say, Leeds) but, as a&h pointed out, the rtn trip could seem longer than 3 hours when full of ale, unless a strong bladder allows sleep.

arwkrite
08-10-2010, 12:34
Whatever happened to that " traditional cry of old London Town" ,how did it go?

"Stop the bus, Stop the bus. We want a WEE WEE ". :pray:

On second thoughts it could get you thrown off a long way from home. Best of Luck Chaps and have a great time but beware Brummies have a strange sense of humour as well as a weird accent.:whistle:

ROBCamra
08-10-2010, 12:45
Similar megabus deal at £5e/w (from, say, Leeds) but, as a&h pointed out, the rtn trip could seem longer than 3 hours when full of ale, unless a strong bladder allows sleep.

Megabus do claim to have onboard toilets.

They claim to do Brum to Manc in 2 - 2.5 hours. Not on a Friday at about 7 p.m. I'll bet. Lets all play park on the M6.

trainman
08-10-2010, 17:59
Megabus do claim to have onboard toilets.
They claim to do Brum to Manc in 2 - 2.5 hours. Not on a Friday at about 7 p.m. I'll bet. Lets all play park on the M6.

Yep, they do have a loo but you wouldn't want to use it twice, or sit near it. If you get a double decker, the upstairs seats are pretty spacious but not sure any heating reaches up there.
The schedule for the friday aint so bad from M/C - 09:50 arr 11:40, rtn 20:00 arr 22:00. Terminus 5min walk from Wellington.
In fact, it's only 30mins longer than the train(!), so the still-available £4 e/w ain't bad.

PaulOfHorsham
09-10-2010, 10:04

Rob,

Southern are currently showing me a £28.60 Off Peak Return from Manchester to Birmingham - add your journey to Piccadilly on to that. That return would be valid on most trains at the time you'd want to travel, I would think.

Right - this may be what you need. Try Crewe to Birmingham. Southern (again) and Virgin both have fares at £7 each way. I'm sure you should be able to get from Rochdale to Crewe and back for a reasonable amount (£13.70, it seems). I've not looked at Manchester to Crewe (you may have cheaper options for getting to the city centre from where you live).

Try a few options (if you have the patience!). You may find something at a sensible price.

See you in Birmingham then ;)

Millay
10-10-2010, 09:39
Agreed the day off work and just booked my train tickets. Arriving New Street 11:45 and returning on the 20:10 Virgin train - probably the same train as RogerB so I’m hoping he’ll wake me up at Watford. £17 for the train and I’ve added the PLUSBUS option at £2.20 in case we decide to explore further afield.

Don’t really know much outside of the Briar Rose, Wellington, Joint Stock and Prince of Wales so will rely on others, there seem to be enough recommendations for a good day. :cheers:

trainman
10-10-2010, 10:06
That's 4 of us, so far, booked on the 20:10 - I tried to reserve a table but got airline. Chances of grabbing an unreserved table to continue drunken chat on return? - yep, none!
Since my unsaved crawl suggestions were probably inaccessible to others on my earlier 'these are those I'd like to include' post, I've saved my skeletal 8 here http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/crawl/viewcrawl.php?crawl=685 . Those, plus a couple of jokers, would get me to a sufficiently somnolent state as to preclude any train chat anyway!
Appendix notes to the above are in comment #37 of this thread.

trainman
10-10-2010, 10:11
and I’ve added the PLUSBUS option at £2.20

Something I often do, especially if travelling on groupsave, when the discount (eg 4 for 2) also applies to the bus tickets, In this instance I couldn't buy two train tickets with only one plusbus - my pal doesn't need one so he delights in missions requiring buses, when he can lord it with his freedom pass.

aleandhearty
11-10-2010, 11:45
Good news, dear hearts. A recent piece of good fortune has meant that I can now attend on the 12th. :) Will be arriving at New Street at 12.07 and leaving at 20.03. Looking forward to putting some faces to the names. We'll definitely have to sort out a 'team photo'.

P.S. Have already begun chanting the mantra 'Don't get into rounds with Roger...Don't get into....' :D

Conrad
11-10-2010, 12:11
That's 4 of us, so far, booked on the 20:10 - I tried to reserve a table but got airline. Chances of grabbing an unreserved table to continue drunken chat on return? - yep, none!
Since my unsaved crawl suggestions were probably inaccessible to others on my earlier 'these are those I'd like to include' post, I've saved my skeletal 8 here http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/crawl/viewcrawl.php?crawl=685 . Those, plus a couple of jokers, would get me to a sufficiently somnolent state as to preclude any train chat anyway!
Appendix notes to the above are in comment #37 of this thread.
If you need to edit this just let me know and I will release deauthorise it back to you.

trainman
11-10-2010, 22:06
If you need to edit this just let me know and I will release deauthorise it back to you.
Thanks Conrad, that's currently my list of must-dos on the day and I mentioned a couple of reserves elsewhere which would fit in with the vague route, but it's promising to be a decent turn-out, so many opinions/amendments/additions may be proffered in the next 31(?) days...

Oggwyn Trench
14-10-2010, 17:15
Good news , looks like i can make it barring any last minute hitches , should get to New Street at 11.55 or 12 25 depending on which train i catch , return at 20 05 or 20 25 :cheers:

Quinno
18-10-2010, 21:15
My travel details: arriving BNS 11:18 and departing 20:03

So we need a central meeting point from BNS - if Roger is going to be at the Briar Rose early doors I guess that makes sense. Say we meet all-comers there until midday and then head off? (I think we might need to PM our phone numbers around in case of stragglers).

But the basics for most of us seem to be:

Arrive Birmingham New Street somewhere between 11-12

Leave BNS somewhere between 7:15-8:30pm.

So a final pub near the station would be beneficial too, as I guess minds and maps will be addled by that point and it's safety in numbers...Wellington to conclude at around 6:30pm?

oldboots
19-10-2010, 18:29
A&H and myself will arrive NS at 12:07 and should be in the Briar Rose within 10 mins (?) Virgin permitting. Ogwyn says in #77 he could be at NS as late as 12:25, so if you go before we arrive, leave a note on the door please :D

aleandhearty
19-10-2010, 19:01
Say we meet all-comers there until midday and then head off?....So a final pub near the station would be beneficial too, as I guess minds and maps will be addled by that point and it's safety in numbers...Wellington to conclude at around 6:30pm?

Midday seems a bit hasty to start going walkabout. The day will inevitably fragment, but it would be nice to chat to people coming from far and wide before we start in earnest. What about 1p.m.? Perhaps we could nominate a pub as base camp and people drift in and out during the day?

Regarding the Wellington at 6.30 on a Friday: Would we get through the door? I've heard it's quite small.

Andy Ven
19-10-2010, 19:21
The Welly isn't that big and can get very cramped at lunchtimes and after work. We're not in any rush so why not go in there after 2.00 before going further afield? There is no shortage of other places nearby (Bacchus, Old Joint Stock, Old Contemptibles) if you want to move on from the Briar Rose.

an_ecumenical_matter
19-10-2010, 19:30
I'm in potatoland for a few days but fly back into East Midlands that Friday morning at 0900. I'll therefore probably be first on parade,I suppose around noon.

Still have to see if Gazebo can get a permission slip. :o

Quinno
20-10-2010, 09:00
Midday seems a bit hasty to start going walkabout. The day will inevitably fragment, but it would be nice to chat to people coming from far and wide before we start in earnest. What about 1p.m.? Perhaps we could nominate a pub as base camp and people drift in and out during the day?

Regarding the Wellington at 6.30 on a Friday: Would we get through the door? I've heard it's quite small.

Fair point. I guess the day is a split between meeting other PuGers and the more adventurous attempting to drink in as many pubs on a list as possible (not looking at Trainman there!).

My main concerns are that

a) we can all find each other and that no-one gets left behind/accidentally left out
b) that those of us who have never set foot in Birmingham outside BNS or Digbeth bus station will be able to get their correct train back. I have no clue as to how far away things are from pub X (more so if a few pints to the wind).

:bemerry::bemerry::bemerry::bemerry::bemerry::beme rry:

gillhalfpint
20-10-2010, 09:54
The Anchor has a room down the coridor leading to the toilets which may be a good place to meet up before setting out as I don't think I have ever seen anyone in there! They use it for stillages when they have a big fest on.

gillhalfpint
20-10-2010, 10:12
Because I can visit any of these pubs at any time, I don't want to have an input as such as to where to go. Will follow your own pub hit lists.

What I fancy doing though is going round the city centre pubs this afternoon, and see how many handpulls they have and what beers are available on them to get an idea of what can be expected from the pubs.

Get bored at home anyway so it will make an interesting afternoon.

gillhalfpint
20-10-2010, 19:23
Had a great afternoon. Went to Pub du Vin, Old Contemptables, Old Royal, Edmunds, Metro Bar, Prince of Wales, Canalside, Old Fox, Spotted Dog - closed, White Swan, Anchor and Lamp Tavern.

Had the following beers:
Kinver Brewdems 4.0, Purity UBU 4.5, Salopian Darwin's Origin 4.3, Marstons EPA 3.8, Millstone Square Peg 4.3, Silhill 4.0 Per Cent 4.0 (in the Metro bar that suprised me), Purity Mad Goose 4.4, Brains Bitter 3.7 , Kelham Island Are you lonesome tonight 3.8, Gargoyles Stout 4.2, Gargoyles Bitter 4.2 (not impressed but not sure if it was brewery or pub), Ringwood, Tetleys Headless Huntsman, Elland Bark at the Moon, Grafton Encore, Thorne Peel Hill.

A good day out from about 1.30 till 6.30 but we were not rushing round and did eat in Old Contemptables. Wanted to do GBG pubs we don't get to very often plus one or two others I had not been to before, which is why I left out the Welly, Old Joint Stock and Briar Rose. Had 7 in the Wellington last night! . We finished with the Anchor and Lamp as they are on the way back to our bus stop.

All beer great apart from the Gargoyles. Not saying which pub as it may have been a midweek thing but we did return one and the next was not much better- poor for a GBG pub.

an_ecumenical_matter
20-10-2010, 23:16
Had "7" in the Wellington last night! . We finished with the Anchor and Lamp as they are on the way back to our bus stop.

7 Pints???????????

And there was I thinking after seeing you at Notts that you were a lady. Did you go to the bus stop by wheel barrow??!! :D

Quinno
21-10-2010, 08:22
7 Pints???????????

halves, shurely?

gillhalfpint
21-10-2010, 09:17
As we all have our own ways of working, we had 7 halves. I do count numbers in different beers so 7 different beers in the welly.

Cheating maybe, but we do share the drinks, so often just have a quarter of each beer. Depends what is on and whether there are a lot of new beers to try.

Quinno
21-10-2010, 11:22
As we all have our own ways of working, we had 7 halves. I do count numbers in different beers so 7 different beers in the welly.

Cheating maybe, but we do share the drinks, so often just have a quarter of each beer. Depends what is on and whether there are a lot of new beers to try.

Phew - I was worried Roger might have competition!

RogerB
21-10-2010, 12:22
I do seem to have gained myself a reputation somewhere along the line.:whistle:

Quinno
21-10-2010, 14:02
I do seem to have gained myself a reputation somewhere along the line.:whistle:

Well I'm no slouch myself but you frightened me the time before last!

Evil Gazebo
21-10-2010, 16:10
Still have to see if Gazebo can get a permission slip. :o

Oi! The Good Lady Gazebo is extremely tolerant of my beer-fuelled antics, as you well know. :p

Anyway, I can now declare myself as ‘very probable’ for the PuGathon (previously thought my upcoming Central European odyssey was going to overlap, but will be back in time). I'm relying entirely on others for local pub expertise, as my only trip to Birmingham was to see Sunderland lose to Aston Villa many years ago - too busy being oppressed by the lunatic fringe of the West Midlands Police to enjoy the local hospitality.

Andy Ven
21-10-2010, 18:55
Allow me to enlighten those of you who are unfamilar with Birmingham and need directions to the Briar Rose.

There are two exits from New Street Station.
1. If you take the long stairs or escalator from the platform up to the main concourse (where you may see the toilets, the Shakespeare pub, WH Smith etc) then you will need to exit via the manned barriers and go up the escalators in from of you into the Pallasades 'shopping centre'. When you get to the top of the escalator, turn left and keep going (taking a staggered course left/right, keeping the Perfume Shop and Holland and Barrett on your left) exiting the Pallasades past McDonald's and down the ramp to New Street itself (the paved street). Turn left at the bottom of the ramp and walk past Tesco and turn right at Barclays Bank up Bennett's Hill. The Briar Rose is just on the right, next to the Sun on the Hill. (Google Streetview covers this stretch of New Street between Tesco and Barclays).

2. If you find that you have exited New Street via the shorter staircase at the end of the platform (one that bends back on itself half way up), turn left at the top of the stairs and you will exit the station where Navigation Street meets Stephenson Street. Once on the street, turn right and walk with the currently closed NCP multi storey on your right. Cross the road at the crossing opposite the new Ladbrokes and walk up the paved street (Lower Temple Street) with another pub called the Shakespeare on your left. After less than 100 yards, this brings you to the intersection with New Street. Turn left into New Street then next right up Bennett’s Hill. (Alternatively, you could take a short cut from Stephenson Street to the bottom of Bennett’s Hill by walking through the Piccadilly arcade). The Briar Rose is just on the right on Bennett’s Hill, next to the Sun on the Hill.

If your train comes into Moor Street or Snow Hill, get off the train at Snow Hill if possible. Exit Snow Hill station and turn right onto Colmore Row, passing St Philip’s Cathedral on your left. Turn left at the traffic lights, down Bennett’s Hill, past the Wellington on your left. The Briar Rose will be on the left hand side, just after you have crossed Waterloo Street.

If you are coming by coach into Digbeth coach station. Mmmmm. Exit the coach station into Digbeth and walk up past the Dubliner towards the Bull Ring. When you see Selfridges (the big space ship type building with lots of silver discs on the outside) walk up the left hand side of it (you can go either side of St Basil’s church) and continue up the steps and the slope in between the two halves of the Bull Ring shopping centre. Turn left and walk along paved New Street (in between the Rotunda and Phones 4 U) past the Odeon. Go straight across Corporation Street at the pedestrian crossing and continue along New Street. Pass Tesco, then turn right at Barclays Bank up Bennett's Hill. The Briar Rose is just on the right, next to the Sun on the Hill.

hondo
29-10-2010, 12:53
as the smiths sang

Panic on the streets of Birmingham
I wonder to myself
Could life ever be sane again?

403 :twigs::twigs::whistle::twigs::twigs::twigs:

Delboy20
29-10-2010, 16:26
as the smiths sang

Panic on the streets of Birmingham
I wonder to myself
Could life ever be sane again?

403 :twigs::twigs::whistle::twigs::twigs::twigs:

Now you are talking my language :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

They also sang

And , so I drank one
It became four
And when I fell on the floor ...
...I drank more

RogerB
31-10-2010, 08:13
Now you are talking my language :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

They also sang

And , so I drank one
It became four
And when I fell on the floor ...
...I drank more

Sounds like the PG National Anthem.

Dave M
04-11-2010, 16:36
Right so just over a week to go till the Birmingham meet and I have just been looking through the thread to work out exactly who is going and who still needs a little nudge!

So far I think the definites are:-
aleandhearty
an_ecumenical_matter
Andy Ven
Conrad
Dave M
Gillhalfpint
Millay
Oggwyn Trench
oldboots
PaulOfHorsham
Quinno
RogerB
rpadam
Trainman

As for the unconfirmed:-
Evil Gazebo (very probable)
Delboy20 (maybe)
Soup Dragon (needs to come to initiate me and Conrad in the way of the MILD :notworthy:)
ROBCamra (who I still think might be tempted after trainmans efforts (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?3858-Active-members&p=22057#post22057)!)
dannyorevey (contributed some useful info to the thread, are you joining us?)

Does anyone have any advances on that list?

Andy Ven
04-11-2010, 17:36
Should we have a firmer plan? It appears that the Briar Rose will be the meeting place and people will start arriving from 12.00 onwards

but

How long should we stay there in order to give most people a chance to meet up with everyone else? (I only work a few hundred yards away so it's not an issue for me but it might be for those travelling from much further afield)
Where should we go from there? (I suggest not far so that any late comers can still find us easily - Wellington or Old Joint Stock?)
Is there a contact for the late late comers to text to find out where we will be?
How will we know who the rest of us are? (Pubs Galore on Tour T-shirts anyone?)

ROBCamra
04-11-2010, 17:51
ROBCamra (who I still think might be tempted)

It's not the money, it's the time. It's still 4+ hours each way in total using the bus AND it won't be on time on a Friday!!

So, no I'll not be tempted. :(

oldboots
04-11-2010, 19:08
Should we have a firmer plan? It appears that the Briar Rose will be the meeting place and people will start arriving from 12.00 onwards

but

How long should we stay there in order to give most people a chance to meet up with everyone else? (I only work a few hundred yards away so it's not an issue for me but it might be for those travelling from much further afield)
Where should we go from there? (I suggest not far so that any late comers can still find us easily - Wellington or Old Joint Stock?)
Is there a contact for the late late comers to text to find out where we will be?
How will we know who the rest of us are? (Pubs Galore on Tour T-shirts anyone?)

Ahh, a man after my own heart, "failure to plan is planning to fail". It appears to have evolved organically to meet in the Briar Rose, Roger B will be there early doors but others will be arriving at New St etc from 11:27 (Trainman) up to 12:34 (Paul of Horsham), so maybe we stay until 1:30 (or until we've tried all the good beers) then move on to the Welly, then out the back door to the Joint Stock then a foray to Digbeth or whatever any smaller groups may prefer? A mob of 15 odd may be a little much for, say, The Lamp? Personally I'd like to get out to the Barton Arms as well.

Would you be volunteering as "register monitor" :D? Maybe some altruistic soul could do this and PM a contact number for any stragglers to us confirmed crawlers?

I've met a few PuGers and not had much trouble recognising them but I like the idea of someone's (sorry whoever) of the code phrase about Taylors Landlord or possibly you're thinking a beer related costume?

BTW wasn't HTM69 a maybe?

Conrad
04-11-2010, 20:01
I've met a few PuGers and not had much trouble recognising them but I like the idea of someone's (sorry whoever) of the code phrase about Taylors Landlord or possibly you're thinking a beer related costume?
I'm guessing me and Dave should be recognisable.

Just look out for the pair of muppets :whistle:

PaulOfHorsham
04-11-2010, 20:05
Possibly everybody should be dressed as their PuG avatar?

Andy Ven
04-11-2010, 20:30
[QUOTE=oldboots;23107]Would you be volunteering as "register monitor" :D? Maybe some altruistic soul could do this and PM a contact number for any stragglers to us confirmed crawlers?/QUOTE]

I set out some directions from the train and coach stations in post #94. If anyone wants the reassurance of directions when they arrive, or they want to be able to get in touch with someone to find out where we are, please PM me before 9.00pm next Thursday and I'll give you my mobile number.

trainman
04-11-2010, 21:55
It's not the money, it's the time. It's still 4+ hours each way in total using the bus AND it won't be on time on a Friday!!

schedule says total 2hr30* outbound but, having been on the northbound M6 two wks ago, I agree the rtn timetable may be open to 'traffic' influence...

gillhalfpint
04-11-2010, 21:58
I'll be there as soon as my 9.30 bus gets in, probably about 10.15. I can wear my bright yellow Birmingham Beer Festival staff t-shirt and find tables suitable hopefully for a gathering to get started.

Won't be on-line for the next couple of days as we will be in Dublin, unless I get free wifi on my PDA. Have to be at Birmingham International for the coach 7.30 am tomorrow, so won't be posting much longer tonight.

trainman
04-11-2010, 22:07
I'm editing this post completely as, reading it this morning, it sounded rather self-serving, sorry.

I'm wondering whether any of the earlier arrivals might fancy a tactical early trip to tick Barton Arms, one of the less accessible/off route on my wish-list (+ probable joker after short bus ride)? This would enable a return to the centre when most are on parade.

gillhalfpint
04-11-2010, 22:48
Happy to start wherever, and ok for a bus trip to Bartons Arms. It would be a bit of a hike from the centre if you want to get around a few during the day. Been in the Welly today. A lot of strong ones on, and I do mean strong like Last Rites at 11%. Had a few of the normal 3.8% - 5%. Very good too.

Will catch up when we get back Sunday.

RogerB
05-11-2010, 07:59
My mention of the Briar Rose was merely to grab a convenient breakfast upon arrival at 10.30'ish rather than to be a specific meeting point. I don't really intend to be there beyond an opening pint and full english and will hopefully be off to do a couple of other pubs (with whoever else is there and wishes to join me) before the bulk of PG'ers arrive. We need to sort out a specific meeting point for between say 12 and 1pm when we can gather forces properly for the days events. Trainy's proposal of the Wellington sounds fine as it sounds good enough to be a 2 pinter at least for me.

So, can we all agree on the Welly between 12 and 1? Anyone expecting to arrive after 1pm will need to make themselves known so that we can swap a few mobile numbers to keep people informed of our whereabouts.

If anyone else is around earlier they will find me at the Briar Rose from 10.30 for however long it takes them to cook brekky. I am happy to PM anyone my mobile if they want to track me down anywhere else before noon.

Quinno
05-11-2010, 08:17
We need to sort out a specific meeting point for between say 12 and 1pm when we can gather forces properly for the days events. Trainy's proposal of the Wellington sounds fine as it sounds good enough to be a 2 pinter at least for me.

Agreed!

trainman
05-11-2010, 09:45
Attendee ETAs, so far, appear to be as follows

Gill .....................10:15 :notworthy:
Roger ................10:23 :notworthy:
Quinno ...............11:18
tm .....................11:27
Millay .................11:45
Oggy .................11:55 or 12:25
aem ...................~noon
a&h and oldboots.12:07
PoH ....................12:25

Any others have a fix on travel plans yet?
I don't want to make things complicated but have now noted Andy's warning that the Welly aint so big, and may lean toward being crowded at lunchtime.

Conrad
05-11-2010, 12:17
Me and Dave are due to arrive at 11:26 at New St. We are then planning to stuff our faces to try and compensate for our extreme light weightness (well mine at least). So we could head to the Briar Rose or just catch up at the lunch time meet point.

We will be wearing our Pug badges so should be fairly visible and also the business cards have arrived and look fairly cool, so I think we should be fairly obvious once we join up and hopefully that will make it easier. Not too worried about the recognition aspect, generally I find you spot people with just the odd bit of embarrassment when you ask the wrong person. It is just the being at the right place aspect that is a worry.

RogerB
05-11-2010, 12:43
I know A&H, Quinno and Trainman so spotting them should be OK. I am 6'3" tall and some gits would say almost as wide so spotting me should be easy. I will either have a Hard Rock Cafe t-shirt from my extensive worldwide collection or, if I can find it and it hasn't shrunk in the wash, my black Tan Hill Tavern t-shirt.

Maybe Conrad and Dave could parade around the pub with a Pubs Galore sandwich board. Just a thought.:whistle:

an_ecumenical_matter
05-11-2010, 12:48
Me and Dave are due to arrive at 11:26 at New St. We are then planning to stuff our faces to try and compensate for our extreme light weightness (well mine at least). So we could head to the Briar Rose or just catch up at the lunch time meet point.

We will be wearing our Pug badges so should be fairly visible and also the business cards have arrived and look fairly cool, so I think we should be fairly obvious once we join up and hopefully that will make it easier. Not too worried about the recognition aspect, generally I find you spot people with just the odd bit of embarrassment when you ask the wrong person. It is just the being at the right place aspect that is a worry.

Conrad and Dave,what are ye doing for tickets??? Gazebo should be getting the train as well but he's asleep in a cell in Bratislava at present. The deal from Bristol is off peak day return Bristol TM-Cheltenham £7.40 and off peak return (saver) Cheltenham-Birmingham £19.00,total £26.40. Then you have flexibilty to come back any time. Quinno should do more or less the same from Reading,split at Banbury. Any one else who needs ticket advice PM me.

Trainman,my flight lands at 0855 in East Midlands so I'll be earlier than noon I'd say.

Dave M
05-11-2010, 13:05
Conrad and Dave,what are ye doing for tickets??? Gazebo should be getting the train as well but he's asleep in a cell in Bratislava at present. The deal from Bristol is off peak day return Bristol TM-Cheltenham £7.40 and off peak return (saver) Cheltenham-Birmingham £19.00,total £26.40. Then you have flexibilty to come back any time. Quinno should do more or less the same from Reading,split at Banbury. Any one else who needs ticket advice PM me.

Foolishly I've already gone ahead and booked us on specific trains, so getting there at 11:26 and leaving at 20:12 and paid £33. I did try to make sense of splitting it at Cheltenham but got confused and just went with keeping it simple for myself. I will remember to ask you first next time.

Soup Dragon
05-11-2010, 14:34
I have a half day - so will likely get out of work at about 1pm - i also have to work Saturday, so i hope to be down and drink maturely:twigs::twigs:

Conrad
05-11-2010, 14:42
I have a half day - so will likely get out of work at about 1pm - i also have to work Saturday, so i hope to be down and drink maturely:twigs::twigs:
Excellent news, I look forward to my timely education. :notworthy:

Was about to hit the send button, reread what I had written, wondered if it was entirely wise to send, and gave up on trying to think of a rewrite:muppet:

Andy Ven
05-11-2010, 18:11
I'm wondering whether any of the earlier arrivals might fancy a tactical early trip to tick Barton Arms, one of the less accessible/off route on my wish-list (+ probable joker after short bus ride)?

You will need bus 33 (to Pheasey), 51 (to Walsall) or 56 (to Brownhills) from Stand DJ or DK in Carrs Lane. If you can find Marks and Spencers on High Street, Carrs Lane runs down the left hand side of the store. Get off at Newtown Baths/Park Lane/Bartons Arms.

Andy Ven
05-11-2010, 18:18

I don't want to make things complicated but have now noted Andy's warning that the Welly aint so big, and may lean toward being crowded at lunchtime.

Just bag a couple of tables. You should get some at 12.30 but then it may get busy. I'll work until 12.30 and then join you in the Welly 5 minutes later. If you have a fancy mobile internet thing you can choose your beer before you get there http://www.thewellingtonrealale.co.uk/beerboard.php.

I've been to the Briar Rose this lunchtime. Beer festival is on but there wasn't much choice jumping out at me (albeit in part because I was driving home later).

Delboy20
05-11-2010, 19:11
Sorry everyone but its looking like I won't be joining you....

There are a few reasons - the main one being financial to be honest. Things are a bit tight at the moment and with two home games next week I can't really justify another afternoons drinking.

I would have loved to meet you all and put faces to names but there will be other times I am sure !

At least I won't be missing visiting any new pubs. I might get a number from someone who will be there for the whole session and if I can pop up for an hour I can find out where you all are.

For those of you wanting to go to the Bartons Arms you can catch the No. 7 bus from Colmore Row - right by the Joint Stock - it runs every 10 mins or so and drops you just over the road from the pub. Takes about 15 - 20 mins.

Sorry again

Del.

trainman
06-11-2010, 08:42
For those of you wanting to go to the Bartons Arms you can catch the No. 7 bus from Colmore Row - right by the Joint Stock - it runs every 10 mins or so and drops you just over the road from the pub. Takes about 15 - 20 mins.

I had the 7 as an option from nr Welly (scheduled to take just 6mins, btw) or 33,51,907 from nr Bull (scheduled as 4mins).

Sorry to hear you won't be in attendance Del, & you being a local lad too, tsk tsk! The phrase "I can't really justify another afternoons drinking" may come back to haunt you... ;)

rpadam
06-11-2010, 10:07

rpadam .................12:17

Conrad
06-11-2010, 12:49
Sorry everyone but its looking like I won't be joining you....
Sorry to hear that Del, if you get the chance and are nearby I would be happy to buy you a drink (and foist a load of promotional cards onto you :))

ETA
08-11-2010, 15:48

Sadly ETA's ETA is now a no-show as I'm on my travels again this weekend, so will be drinking foreign muck - I've never yet found a decent pint in Portugal. (OK, I tried to work in Northern Spain so I could mention the Basque separatist group ETA as well, but it all got too contrived.)

gillhalfpint
09-11-2010, 16:12
I have mapped a few of the suggested pubs people want to get to on a couple of the Birmingham city centre maps so if different groups want to go off they can find any suggested meeting up place for later. They also show the rail station and bus station so if anyone needs help getting back at the end of the day they could be useful. Will try to pick some more up before we meet.

rpadam
09-11-2010, 23:02
As I am off to Liverpool in the not too distant future and (probably) won't have internet access before Friday, is it safe to assume that the early arrivals will be in the Wellington at about (say) 12:30?

gillhalfpint
10-11-2010, 10:46
As I will be at the Briar early, I can pop backwards and forwards between the Welly and the Briar to see if anyone is looking for others. I will have a distinctive yellow Birmingham beer festival t-shirt on for recognition. It has STAFF in big red letters on the back! (Always think of tomato sauce on egg - yuk).

RogerB
10-11-2010, 10:56
I currently have the mobile numbers for Quinno, Ale&Hearty, Gill and Paul of Horsham. I am awaiting a couple of others just in case we lost some of the flock along the way. If anyone wants mine, please PM me.

As for pubs, I have earmarked the Welly, Old Joint Stock, Bacchus, Bennetts, Old Contemptibles and the Old Royal within the City centre that are of interest in one way or another. If we can get to the Barton Arms then that's a bonus. I am happy to go with the flow and leave myself open to the whims of those who know the places better than me!

Quinno
10-11-2010, 12:45
As for pubs...I am happy to go with the flow and leave myself open to the whims of those who know the places better than me!

And those who have done the hard work of finding out which buses can get you to them. Cheers, Jym.

Soup Dragon
10-11-2010, 13:14
I hope to be in Brum around 1pm

Andy Ven and OB have my mobile number and vice versa, so i should be able to find you all

Oggwyn Trench
10-11-2010, 17:43
I currently have the mobile numbers for Quinno, Ale&Hearty, Gill and Paul of Horsham. I am awaiting a couple of others just in case we lost some of the flock along the way. If anyone wants mine, please PM me.

As for pubs, I have earmarked the Welly, Old Joint Stock, Bacchus, Bennetts, Old Contemptibles and the Old Royal within the City centre that are of interest in one way or another. If we can get to the Barton Arms then that's a bonus. I am happy to go with the flow and leave myself open to the whims of those who know the places better than me!

Have PM`d you my number

RogerB
10-11-2010, 18:24
Have PM`d you my number

I have tried to send you mine but for reason, when I try to reply, the system is tells me you don't exist!

General Staal
10-11-2010, 18:40
How have I missed this?

I would love to come, but, being a teacher, will be unable to attend.

RogerB
10-11-2010, 18:53
How have I missed this?

I would love to come, but, being a teacher, will be unable to attend.

My first big session was at the Grey Horse in Kingston when I was 16...with my teachers! Don't you kick them all out onto the streets at 4'ish? Plenty of time to grab a couple of pints early evening!

General Staal
10-11-2010, 19:04
Ah, but by 7:00pm, I will be in Manchester for a couple. On Saturday its Blues v Man City then I am hitting the pubs there.

If I'd known about the Birmingham City Get Together, I would have come to that. But I literally just saw it tonight. Hence the 'How have I missed this!' exasperation.

But, I am looking forward to a shock BCFC thrashing of Manc City.

I admit, however, that I am not a serious football fan. I am really only going for the excellent pubs I have been promised.

Oggwyn Trench
10-11-2010, 19:10
I have tried to send you mine but for reason, when I try to reply, the system is tells me you don't exist!

Did you get mine ? If so you can always send me a text

RogerB
10-11-2010, 20:04
Did you get mine ? If so you can always send me a text
I got yours OK - Have sent a text with my details.

Conrad
10-11-2010, 20:14
Couple of things, Oggwyn, there was a problem with your PM's I have PM'd you to let you know what I had to do to solve it. Everyone should now be able to PM you though.

I am wondering if the meet ups are being lost by being here, I still think they should be in a seperate forum, but I will look at chucking announcements up to make them more obvious. Certainly sorry to miss out on General Staal. I am happy to give you RogerB's phone number (or mine more fairly ;) ) on the offchance you can sneak in a quick drink.

Edit: Also moved thread but hopefully the redirect will help enough. Being rather slow I only just realised this was in the wrong place.

Andy Ven
10-11-2010, 20:56
What does Recommend Me Do mean?

Conrad
10-11-2010, 21:02
What does Recommend Me Do mean?
Can anyone recommend a good pub to visit in Salisbury?

It is a phrasing I nicked off another forum I used to use.

Oggwyn Trench
10-11-2010, 21:17
Couple of things, Oggwyn, there was a problem with your PM's I have PM'd you to let you know what I had to do to solve it. Everyone should now be able to PM you though.

I am wondering if the meet ups are being lost by being here, I still think they should be in a seperate forum, but I will look at chucking announcements up to make them more obvious. Certainly sorry to miss out on General Staal. I am happy to give you RogerB's phone number (or mine more fairly ;) ) on the offchance you can sneak in a quick drink.

Edit: Also moved thread but hopefully the redirect will help enough. Being rather slow I only just realised this was in the wrong place.

OK , read and replied to you , dont understand any of it though , will stick to van driving

trainman
10-11-2010, 21:31
From my original 8, I'm deffo keeping 6, maybe dropping Old Fox and, sadly, Prince of Wales (only pub west of route, & slightly mainstream beers see ghp report, tho maybe it should be ticked if future uncertain?).
I still have intentions (outside centre) for Digbeth, & Barton Arms.

Conrad & Dave, did I miss your ETA?

Conrad
10-11-2010, 21:43
Posted here (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?3894-Pubs-Galore-Meet-Up-Friday-12-November-Birmingham&p=23134#post23134). 11:26 at station, then sometime after midday at the Welly.

trainman
11-11-2010, 10:14
10% chance of showers ~noon, rising to 50% ~18:00.
I'm sure a correlation & similarly shaped graph could be drawn regarding beer consumption, slurring, memory loss & map reading as the day progresses...

RogerB
11-11-2010, 10:27
Perhaps we should have a live commentary thread. Those of us with Blackberries, smart phones, ipads and laptops squished into our pockets can leave an ongoing trail of the day's events for the benefit of the abstainers. The declining quality of grammar and spelling through the day can then stand as evidence of the ongoing shenanigans.

ETA
11-11-2010, 10:42
Can anyone recommend a good pub to visit in Salisbury?

http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/41766/ (Wyndham Arms) is the best one, I think, and is close to http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/41765/ (Winchester Gate). They're both the other side of town from the station, though (20 mins walk), so if you want to drink within 5 mins of the station, Deacons ( http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/41671/ ) or The Village Freehouse ( http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/41759/ ). They're all better for drink than food though, so if you want to eat, I would suggest The Rai D'Or (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/41747/) which does genuine Thai food, usually has Stonehenge on and gives discount to CAMRA members. These are all GBG pubs so you should have no probs with beer quality.

trainman
11-11-2010, 11:33
http://www.thebull-pricestreet.com/bullreview.pdf

One from my list. Eating, tho, (apart from something essential before the 'off') requires delicate timing on a beer day.

Conrad
11-11-2010, 11:45
..... These are all GBG pubs so you should have no probs with beer quality.
Ooops :o

Sorry for the confusion I was just trying to explain what I meant by 'Recommend Me Do', not going to Salisbury yet.

ETA
11-11-2010, 11:48
Ooops :o

Sorry for the confusion I was just trying to explain what I meant by 'Recommend Me Do', not going to Salisbury yet.

Oh dear, sorry I let my enthusiasm run away with me. Guess I'll just have to do my own quality control on the Salisbury pubs this week then.

aleandhearty
11-11-2010, 12:11
Well today's the day for fine tuning and horse trading!

Just looked at the BBC forecast and the good news is tomorrow looks considerably better - at least in the morning.

Been trying to get my head round all the possible permutations. Personally, tomorrow is as much a social outing as a race around Birmingham's finest. However, I have softened my initial stance about drifting too far from the centre.

My gut feeling at the moment ( not necessarily right for everyone else), is perhaps to have a good extended meet up at the Welly, before straight on to The Bartons Arms. If possible then go directly to the Digbeth trio before ticking off a few in the centre before home.

Perhaps we could have a rendezvous pub towards the end of the day, as we wind down before catching our trains?

Conrad
11-11-2010, 12:19
Oh dear, sorry I let my enthusiasm run away with me. Guess I'll just have to do my own quality control on the Salisbury pubs this week then.
Always nice to see people being helpful, I will just ask for Mordor next time instead ;)

gillhalfpint
11-11-2010, 12:57
Do I take it then that us that can get there early go to the Welly (opens 10am) and grab tables, rather than the Briar.

Fine by me, will be plenty to keep us going. Then bus to Bartons Arms as and when. Those without twirly passes may find a daysaver, or group daysaver ticket worth it so you can hop on and off the bus to save walking and give more drinking time. 33.34.51.52 to Bartons, then when back into town, catch the 50 as it drops outside the Anchor. White Swan and Lamp are walkable, then 35 or 50 back into town to go round any centre pubs.

aleandhearty
11-11-2010, 13:09
Do I take it then that us that can get there early go to the Welly (opens 10am) and grab tables, rather than the Briar.

Fine by me, will be plenty to keep us going. Then bus to Bartons Arms as and when. Those without twirly passes may find a daysaver, or group daysaver ticket worth it so you can hop on and off the bus to save walking and give more drinking time. 33.34.51.52 to Bartons, then when back into town, catch the 50 as it drops outside the Anchor. White Swan and Lamp are walkable, then 35 or 50 back into town to go round any centre pubs.

Gill, I think Roger only mentioned the Briar as a pit stop for a hearty breakfast. Am I right in thinking you can buy a day saver ticket on a bus?

RogerB
11-11-2010, 13:11
I wouldn't think the Welly would get that busy until the lunch times kick in. If there is time after my 'Spoons brekky, I wouldn't mind doing a quick lucky dip pub in the area before hitting the Welly. The main wave of people will be arriving at around 11.30/11.45 so I reckon if we can bag a table or two around 11.30 in the Welly, we should be OK.

gillhalfpint
11-11-2010, 14:09
The adult daysaver costs £3.50 and can be bought on the first bus you travel on.

There is a regional daysaver 5 which I have used before, also from the bus where up to 5 people can travel for £7.50. It wouldn't matter if the group using it changed, as long as it is no more than 5 of you.

trainman
11-11-2010, 14:48
The adult daysaver costs £3.50

There is a regional daysaver 5 which I have used before, also from the bus where up to 5 people can travel for £7.50..

I'm gonna try to blag a plusbus (day) ticket (£2.20) when I arrive at New St - I should've bought one with my train ticket, but couldn't get train travel for 2 with bus for just 1.

Millay
11-11-2010, 16:55
Various bits of brown stuff have been hitting the mobile cooling equipment at work today but I think I’ve sorted most of it out and can leave with a clear conscience. Now if I can just avoid those 10% beers at the Euston Tap on the way home I might be in a reasonable state for tomorrow.

Think my ETA New St is 11:45 and based on recent posts will head for the Welly.

Just remembered I promised Trainman I’d try to find an appropriate avatar for the day, will do that tonight.

There’s a possibility that Grailhunter might join us although as he hasn’t posted I fear he may not make it.

See you tomorrow :drinkup:

PaulOfHorsham
11-11-2010, 18:50
I'm gonna try to blag a plusbus (day) ticket (£2.20) when I arrive at New St - I should've bought one with my train ticket, but couldn't get train travel for 2 with bus for just 1.

Can you do that? Thought you had to get the PlusBus at the same time as the train ticket.

oldboots
11-11-2010, 19:05
Always nice to see people being helpful, I will just ask for Mordor next time instead ;)

Which post town is Mordor in, all I can find is Morden? There is also the Jockshire place of Morar. Salisbury is full of nice pubs though - no Orcs (usually) :eek:

Andy Ven
11-11-2010, 19:17
Current beer board in the Wellington (A is pale, E is dark) http://www.thewellingtonrealale.co.uk/beerboard.php:

I hope he puts some MILD on by tomorrow - current stock: http://www.thewellingtonrealale.co.uk/beersinstock.php

By the way, if anyone drinks London Pride I've got 3 vouchers, kindly donated by a colleague, for a complimentary pint to use in the Welly or Joint Stock. If you ask me you can have them.

Andy Ven
11-11-2010, 19:50
I'm guessing me and Dave should be recognisable. Just look out for the pair of muppets :whistle:

I have preview of tomorrow's group photo

trainman
11-11-2010, 21:20
Can you do that? Thought you had to get the PlusBus at the same time as the train ticket.

I've done it before when my local station ticket office machine has, for some reason, failed to present a plusbus option. A bit of manc schmooze usually does the trick. (Stop that guffawing in the back Watson!).

trainman
11-11-2010, 21:21
I have preview of tomorrow's group photo

Nice one! & that's the 'before' shot ...!!!

Delboy20
11-11-2010, 21:29
Looks very unlikely that I will be able to meet up with you.

Good luck to all of you and I hope you have a great time.:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

I have PM'd RogerB for his number in case I can make a flying visit.

an_ecumenical_matter
12-11-2010, 03:02
On a coach in Potatoland to Dublin airport,0800 flight to East Midlands airport. I'll be the handsome dude with the "DANGER GASES" t shirt!!!

RogerB
12-11-2010, 06:16
Journey's underway for me - just leaving a breezy Dartford station. Desperately need a pre-brekky bacon sarnie when I get to London!

Millay
12-11-2010, 07:00
Journey's underway for me - just leaving a breezy Dartford station. Desperately need a pre-brekky bacon sarnie when I get to London!

Early start ! Lots of problems on the tube this morning, Circle & Met lines affected so don't hang around getting to Euston

Millay
12-11-2010, 07:02
On a coach in Potatoland to Dublin airport,0800 flight to East Midlands airport. I'll be the handsome dude with the "DANGER GASES" t shirt!!!

Wow, an even earlier start !! what dedication :notworthy:

RogerB
12-11-2010, 07:27
Arrived at Euston - 40 mins until train. Britannia pub on the concourse is open...but only for breakfasts, d'oh! Should have brought some tinnies!

Millay
12-11-2010, 07:39
Arrived at Euston - 40 mins until train. Britannia pub on the concourse is open...but only for breakfasts, d'oh! Should have brought some tinnies!

The Sloe Bar up by Platform 1 might be open, if you're desperate

Quinno
12-11-2010, 07:46
unfortunately I don't own any modern hand-held technology as my old 2001 mobile phone refuses to die. I'm impressed some peeps are already on their way!

Anyway, I've just realised that I haven't got a sodding clue where I'm going when I get to Brum and my printer's just died, so am trying to hand sketch a map. Should be fun. I'm sure the locals will help me if I get lost?!?

Anyways, I am wearing my red Reading Beer Fest t-shit (CLICHE!) but it's highly likely it'll be hidden under a warm jumper and raincoat :)

RogerB
12-11-2010, 07:47
The Sloe Bar up by Platform 1 might be open, if you're desperate
I'm not THAT desperate. Had a quick peek at the new Euston Tap - seems a bit small - might try it out when we get back tonight if we are still in one piece!

Millay
12-11-2010, 07:52
Had a quick peek at the new Euston Tap - seems a bit small - might try it out when we get back tonight if we are still in one piece!

Oh No Roger, please don't do that we may never see you again. Even for a man of your ledgendary status that might be a step too far. Last time I was in there were at least three 9%+ beers, and you just have to try them.

If you do make it I'd recommend the Great Divide Hercules Double American IPA. 10% and crammed full of flavour. £4 a half !!

RogerB
12-11-2010, 08:02
I have a map with several of the better pubs marked out. If anyone is lost just phone International Rescue and I will find them. Now on train ready for the next leg. Will be
resplendant all in black like a good period Elvis (or a bad period Ozzy) with my Tan Hill t-shirt being the predominant (non-natural) feature.

gillhalfpint
12-11-2010, 08:04
I don't have a clever phone so will be leaving for the 9.30 bus soon and will only be able to contact via phone & text. Sound like most of you are on the way. See you soon.

Oggwyn Trench
12-11-2010, 08:25
Just tucking in to a full english before catching the bus up to Telford , may even make the earlier train and get to Brum at 11 26

an_ecumenical_matter
12-11-2010, 08:37
Wow, an even earlier start !! what dedication :notworthy:
It was actually a 0300 start in a taxi that turned up at 0250!!!! Ryanair on time,on a bus passing a pub called The Tudor in a village near Radcliffe power station en route to Derby. See ye soon!

Millay
12-11-2010, 08:38
That's it from me, I need to get underway now.

No mobile internet thingy for me so will be incommunicado now, and in Birrmingham later ;)

Millay
12-11-2010, 08:42
It was actually a 0300 start in a taxi that turned up at 0250!!!! Ryanair on time,on a bus passing a pub called The Tudor in a village near Radcliffe power station en route to Derby. See ye soon!

Looking forward to meeting up again. I think yours is the only mobile number I've got (Trainman should have mine) so I'll be phoning you if I get lost !!

Evil Gazebo
12-11-2010, 10:17
Is anyone in the Welly yet? I'll hopefully arrive in about half an hour. I'll be wearing an official "Pubs Galore" novelty hat.

ETA
12-11-2010, 10:50
Sorry I can't join you all this evening, but have a good one and spare a thought for those of us who aren't so fortunate - Superbock just isn't the same as a real pint.

RogerB
12-11-2010, 11:09
Just gone noon - currently 8 of us in the Welly and the 17 handpumps are getting a bashing!

RogerB
12-11-2010, 12:23
Most people now here - Old Joint Stock now has the pleasure of our company!

RogerB
12-11-2010, 14:24
We've hit the 20 mark regarding attendance figures and made our presence felt at the Barton Arms. Conrad has supplied us with PG t-shirts one of which has been left with the fine barmaid at the Barton. We're now in the Anchor at Digbeth. Things going quite swimmingly!

Evil Gazebo
12-11-2010, 15:28

Alesonly
12-11-2010, 20:43
Its Good for some Im stuck on duty till 02:00 hrs worst luck. Lets hope I dont have too carry any of you out the station at the close of traffic tonight when I lock up. :) Hope you have a good one. :drinkup:

RogerB
12-11-2010, 21:46
What a fantastic day - great beers, great pubs, great company! Thanks to all that made the day special, in particular Gill for her local bus knowledge. I have somehow managed to injure my foot leaving the Welly and can hardly walk so apologies to those looking for a pint with me at the Euston Tap - it was a struggle just to walk down the platform.

rpadam
12-11-2010, 22:11
What a fantastic day - great beers, great pubs, great company! Thanks to all that made
the day special, in particular Gill for her local bus knowledge. I have somehow managed to injure my foot leaving the Welly and can hardly walk so apologies to those looking for a pint with me at
at the Euston Tap - it was a struggle just to walk down the platform.
Great to see all those who could make it, with Roger's thanks to Gill endorsed and also my thanks to Roger for his texting skills enabling me to catch up with the crowd again after my Harborne excursion.

PS - Managed a cheeky half in the Euston Tap on the way home - curious place, but well worth the visit...

Delboy20
13-11-2010, 05:44
It sounds like it all went well - sorry I couldn't make it.

I look forward to some accounts of the day - when you have all recovered !!

Andy Ven
13-11-2010, 07:27
I'm off on a steam railway crawl today so I can start distributing some business cards. The PG T-shirt is being kept for my next Black Country crawl in 2 weeks

RogerB
13-11-2010, 07:54
Have a foot the size of the Graf Zeppelin this morning but it takes my mind off the excesses of the day's events. Actually, head is comparatively clear this morning. Hope everyone got home OK in less painful circumstances.

Oggwyn Trench
13-11-2010, 08:02
A fine day out , it was nice to meet everyone . Head is pretty clear this morning considering how much was drunk:D

trainman
13-11-2010, 09:02
Marvelous to put so many faces to so many names, & now await Quinno's photographic evidence that such an auspicious gathering really did happen!

I managed a pint of Marble Manchester (£2.80) in the Euston Tap, impressive beer range (albeit under pressure of some sort), but distinctly unimpressive interior space, both up & down.

Don't know how you managed to twist your foot Roger, but hope that you are soon able to hobble down the pub for some anaesthetic. You did well to make the train, that station is still a mystery to me, we only boarded with 1min to spare!

Conrad
13-11-2010, 09:08
I am out and about again today, I am needed for photo duty as my wife is graduating, hopefully will be posting again tomorrow though.

Thanks to everyone at Brum, a couple of instant special mentions to Roger for starting it and Gill for the organisation once we were all there.

Brilliant to put names to faces, and I am guessing a few funny stories to come.

Roger, you seemed to be limping before the Wellington at the end, do you have any idea what you did?

And also as AEM was distributing t-shirts to all the bar staff on the journey was I the only one mentally hearing a loud yell in an Irish voice of 'GIRLS' in their head?

Soup Dragon
13-11-2010, 09:19
Great to meet you all

I went on to a few pubs after - leaving a card on the condom machine in the 'John Bright' - see - i work fast!

gillhalfpint
13-11-2010, 10:18
Just want to add my bit that we had a great time meeting up with everyone, and glad you all got something out of your day. Hope you are not suffering too much with your foot Roger.

Looking forward to dropping off the cards wherever we travel now, and do our bit.

Will have an easy day today, local fest in Kings Heath Cricket Club, so will sample one or two there.

PaulOfHorsham
13-11-2010, 10:21
A splendid day out (to the best of my somewhat imperfect recollection).

I've put a few names to a few faces, but still have some work to do here.

rpadam
I have just uploaded 10 photographs of the Bartons Arms which should be visible shortly when Dave approves them.

RogerB
Roger, you seemed to be limping before the Wellington at the end, do you have any idea what you did?

Are you sure you're not mixing up staggering with limping. Not a clue how I did it but I'm gonna blame a dodgy pavement somewhere along the line. Not sure how I'll cope with the mile walk to WHL and an evening standing up at an Ash gig tonight but I'll get through it somehow.

an_ecumenical_matter
13-11-2010, 10:22
Well folks that was a grand day in the field. A great bunch of people. A few moderate beers in the Anchor I'm sorry to say,but aside from that definitely something worth doing again!!!!!!!!!! Dare I say "DRINK!"...............

an_ecumenical_matter
13-11-2010, 10:23
I have just uploaded 10 photographs of the Bartons Arms which should be visible shortly when Dave approves them.

Oh and don't mention the "plan" on here........

PM me if you can't remember or know what I mean.

oldboots
13-11-2010, 10:35
I'll just add my thanks to everyone for a grand day out in fine company and a bit more sedate than expected - we must be turning into responsible drinkers :eek:. It finished for me just after midnight when I got home (thanks to a late train at BNS and a dying DMU at Leeds). I've even got some money left for a short trip up Nidderdale this afternoon :cheers:.

Dave M
13-11-2010, 10:46
Just too add my thanks to everyone who came along, great to meet you all.

In particular a big thank you to all the locals who made it a nice relaxed day out for all of us who don't know our way around Birmingham and for advising us 'pair up into groups of five' for the buses.

I went on to a few pubs after - leaving a card on the condom machine in the 'John Bright' - see - i work fast!

You just couldn't resist could you?! If that is how the are going to be distributed I'm wondering if we should've put an extra line on the cards saying 'PG encourages responsible drinking and safe sex'. ;)

Thanks for those, photos of the Bartons Arms (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubpictures/53682/) now live. I tried to get a shot of that stained glass window in the staircase, but mine really didn't come out well so I'm glad you got a good one.

Not sure how I'll cope with the mile walk to WHL and an evening standing up at an Ash gig tonight but I'll get through it somehow.

Best of luck with that, hope it heals soon

Wittenden
13-11-2010, 16:39
Glad you all enjoyed Birmingham-I'll look forward to reading your beers of the week. The only time I ever went there it was all Ansells and M&B with the occasional Davenports. I recall going to the Black Country to find anything interesting. In fact I don't remember much about that weekend, apart from waking up underneath the television in some Irishman's front room.

Quinno
13-11-2010, 17:51
Right then, I have resurfaced after a good nights sleep and having a few jars in the Nags Head with a few Norwich-supporting friends before the footy this afternoon.

I have the team photo - where can I post it? Have tried attaching to the post but it wants a url rather than a file location.

Conrad
13-11-2010, 18:17
When you click on the add image thingie, there should be a second option for 'from Computer' along the top.

If it is still not there/obvious PM me and I will give you my email address.

Quinno
13-11-2010, 18:22
When you click on the add image thingie, there should be a second option for 'from Computer' along the top.

If it is still not there/obvious PM me and I will give you my email address.

think I've figured it....

if anyone wants a hi-res copy, PM me your email address :)

Conrad
13-11-2010, 18:29
That's the ticket, direct link to a fairly hi-res copy:
http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=412&d=1289676109

And given EG's comments I thought I better sharpen the image up :whistle:

an_ecumenical_matter
13-11-2010, 19:17
That's the ticket, direct link to a fairly hi-res copy:
http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=412&d=1289676109

And given EG's comments I thought I better sharpen the image up :whistle:

Jesus,don't I look good in high definition!!!

Delboy20
13-11-2010, 20:32
Ye gods - what a scary line up !!:eek::eek::eek:

Any chance of some names so I know who is who ??

I can figure out which one is Gill but after that .... ?????

Evil Gazebo
13-11-2010, 22:35
Jesus, I don't look good in high definition!!!

Tidied that for you, mate :p

That'll be me in the blue T-shirt

Evil Gazebo
13-11-2010, 22:50
The (in)famous Five?

http://i55.tinypic.com/2lk2wjk.jpg

Oggwyn Trench
14-11-2010, 00:01

I am at the back hidden by Trainman

Conrad
14-11-2010, 00:25
I figured I would try and jot down a quick account of what I remember.

Me and Dave arrived in Birmingham and strolled round to the Briar Rose, once again I am impressed with Dave's preparation, he has clearly used street view to try and get a feeling for the area, but is somewhat thrown by the lack of people administering first aid down an alley (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=birmingham+new+street&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=18.723967,39.506836&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=New+St,+Birmingham,+United+Kingdom&ll=52.478566,-1.900023&spn=0.004698,0.009645&t=h&z=17&layer=c&cbll=52.478618,-1.899792&panoid=4s3JinpZewR1TYyQPpptoQ&cbp=12,158.94,,1,4.85). Moving past this lack of landmark though we successfully find the Briar Rose.

The Briar Rose (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/54984/) is a tidy enough pub, a fairly typical Wetherspoons, slightly haphazard service, food that is so-so, and all nicely cheap. Having lined our stomachs we moved on to try and meet up for the pub crawl.

Into The Wellington (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/37946/), an interesting pub, a busy bar with a sensible display to show their full selection of 16 real ales. We meet up with everyone and start with a pint of Butty Bach. Strangely Gill proved to be the easiest one to spot and we swiftly realised a large group had already gathered. Trainman had a few friends with him who aren't regular posters to the site which would swiftly lead to some slight confusion. Anyway, we got chatting with Quinno before being accosted by one of the people I had thought was with Trainman. Oh how wrong I was, it swiftly became apparent that this was someone who was unfortunately very drunk and looking to make friends. Strangely this seemed to involve a bemusing string of insults that was a little unexpected whilst sober and at lunch. Happily Quinno proves to be a dab hand at handling this and I am given to understand from Dave that Quinno escorted him to the bar then the exit ;). As people are introduced the decision to actually make it into a crawl is pushed on and some start the long journey to the next pub.

Being part of the later group I nervously move on wondering at the size of Birmingham, out of the back door across the alley and into the back door of The Old Joint Stock (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/55708/). Due to my careful timing I successfully fake my way out of a pint in this pub by being a late arrival, but marvel at the decor, palatial is the best description and well worth checking out the internal shot by Walter Dunlop if you have not been there. The decision is made at this point to head to the most distant target to take advantage of our more sober state.

Onward to the Bartons Arms (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/53682/). Another impressive pub preceded by an impressive journey. Assured that we should be getting a bus to get there and that the cheapest method would be to 'pair off into groups of 5' (again this confused Dave for a little while). Storming off down the road we all followed Gill who determinedly seemed to know our target, strolling past a bus stop we cluster at the end of the road gazing along it reading bus numbers. I briefly wonder if we have already drunk too much and the list tickers have changed profession to bus spotting, mumblings of dissent and word associations involving 'brewery' can be heard in the background as the fateful bus appears at the end of the road and we rush off towards the bus stop. I suddenly realise that we are choosing the bus stop based on the first bus to appear and all becomes clear :confused:. Happily the journey is swift and we arrive at the Bartons Arms which has a good selection of Ales and again is an amazing pub to look round (it is worth looking at rpadam's recent photo additions, spectacular efforts although I am left wondering how he got people to move out of a couple of the shots ;)). A&H kindly gets me and Dave halves of Inferno that we sup on, drinking these far too swiftly we decide to try out halves of the Aston's MILD in honour of the alleged imminent arrival of Soup Dragon. As we are served the whisper goes round that he is about to walk through the door, and the MILD legend arrives to a round of applause. It is pointed out at this point that we need to get the group photo to remember the day with, a barman is convinced to come outside and Quinno contributes his camera with a brief lesson on how to use it (I would say it isn't rocket science but I would be lying). We all gather up, posing as we receive protestations to smile, anticipation building the barman clicks on the button and the camera switches off :). Happily somewhere in amongst it all the excellent photo that is already posted gets taken. Before leaving AEM starts on a pattern that will emerge during the crawl as he successfully convinces the lovely barmaid to wear a PuG t-shirt (GURLS).

Next target is The Anchor (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/37449/) in Digbeth fearfully involving a couple of bus journeys. Sadly they were completely uneventful (well the first was, me and Dave walked the second leg). Walking into the pub we find that Soup has stormed off ahead and got his drink in, we soon find out why - 'What will you have?', 'Soup, what are you having?', 'The MILD', 'We'll have 2 halves of MILD please', 'He's had the last pint', :mad:. So Dave orders 2 halves of Mad Goose to which we receive our 2 pints :confused:, we decide it must be our mistake and sacrifice ourself to drinking them ;) (as an aside the Mad Goose swiftly ran out leaving AEM with a very cloudy effort that they kindly replaced with another drink). Oh and 'GURLS', AEM strikes again to convince the lovely barmaid to wear a PuG t-shirt.

On to The White Swan (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/55712/). This one ended up with a small division of the group as some decided to move on to the next stop as there was a limited selection of Real Ales. Me & Dave had halves of the MILD offering whilst sat in the back room chatting to Andy Ven. A lovely little cubby with a coal fire going, very relaxing and a great area to socialise. Strikingly for me it was another pub with grand amounts of tiling, as I pointed out rather vulgarly to Soup later on the crawl the only time I ever see tiles in Bristol is when I go to the toilet, every other pub we went in seemed to be fully tiled.

Another brief stroll to get to The Lamp Tavern (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/37696/). For some reason I really struggled to remember this one. Dave can't quite remember what he ordered here, apparently there were 2 real ales on, and he couldn't bring himself to order 2 halves of the moustache, so got 2 halves of whatever the other was. It was a very busy pub and we propped up the end of the bar continuing to chat to Andy Ven, whilst hemming some poor soul in against the wall.

Onwards again this time to The Old Fox (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/37758/). At this point I accepted my defeat and switched to an OJ, Dave had the beer with 3 letters (I ordered it and have no idea what it was). Some lovely stained glass Foxes in this nice big pub. A debate about geography and BCG jabs ensued between Dave, me, Quinno and PaulofHorsham, one vaccination on the way to Quinno for Christmas ;). Oh yes and 'GUUUURR....', wait a second though, that's a bloke. AEM broke a perfectly good pattern to ensure that the fine young barman was wearing a PuG t-shirt (someone took a photo, so evidence of this one may appear).

And finally full circle back to the Wellington, following a stumbling (although I still maintain it was a very straight stumbling) RogerB. I believe it was also Roger who kindly got me and Dave a half each of Fire-something, or to put it another way, got Dave a pint of Fire-something (thanks to the purchaser and apologies if it was not Roger). Have to admit to enjoying the Wellington a little less this time as it was a complete crush and constant elbowings to get by as we cluttered up the walkway. Enjoyed a bit of a chat with Soup who agreed to join us in our misery of watching a Bristol City match. Oh and of course 'GURLS' as in a final strike AEM once again gets the barmaid to wear a PuG t-shirt. Realising time was up though we left and met AEM on the platform to travel back to Bristol.

All in all a fantastic inaugural PuG crawl which seemed to have universal agreement that it must be repeated within the year. I had a fantastic time meeting everyone and it was a genuine pleasure chatting. Faces were put to names, beer was imbibed and the World set to rights.

Sorry for not saying goodbye to Andy, and apologies to anyone I didn't chat too properly, I would have just spoken rubbish anyway :).

Cheers everyone!

trainman
14-11-2010, 01:52
Butty Bach... Trainman had a few friends with him who aren't regular posters... got chatting with Quinno before being accosted by one of the people I had thought was with Trainman... it swiftly became apparent that this was someone who was unfortunately very drunk and looking to make friends...

Butty Bach, at last!!!!
Sorry, I was always gonna be travelling with a great drinking pal (non computer-user but my sponsor-for-the-day Ralph) but didn't anticipate the arrival of Tigerdrinker (from you-know-where) and mutual Notts pal Wal. I'd like to lay claim to the other drunken randomer, but cannot.

Good recall/note-taking Conrad, thanks for the T, plus cards, one of which I was first(!) with at the Lamp, & another upstairs at Euston Tap.

Brilliant team photo, sorry about getting my fat head in the way Oggy. I still have so many questions for so many people, & have booked my return to tick The Bull & Old Contemptibles from my reduced list. Ok, I'll add PoW, but need to leave a very large window to get back to the train on time!

trainman
14-11-2010, 02:09
3am?

RogerB
14-11-2010, 08:17
An excellent account from Conrad and a few gaps filled in from my now sieve like memory. Apart from the Anchor I had no idea of which other pubs we actually did in Digbeth - I just followed the crowd although I have some blurry photos that offer a couple of clues. I don't think it was me that bought the Firewhatever drinks though - someone else can take the credit for that. I think I got a few words in with everybody during the course of the day and will in future attempt to read everyone's postings in the appropriate accents! I'm not sure if any of my photos are worthy of public viewing (my Blackberry doesn't have the best camera in it) but I will try and filter out some of the better ones and stick them on the thread somewhere.

Looking forward to our mini Clapham meet up on the 22nd when we can hopefully put a few more names to faces.

gillhalfpint
14-11-2010, 09:28
Have tried a few times to print the photo, but get from the left to me and Ray, it misses out the 4 on the right.

Have managed to save it on word, and can enlarge it great on there, but again cannot print it top get everyone on, but at least I have a permenant record of us all.

Next job was trying to put names to the faces. Fail miserably on quite a few I am afraid.

Absolutely great day though. The fire thingy was probably Black Country Ales Fireside that is one of the regulars at the Welly.

There were about 5 beers on at the Lamp Tavern, Stanway Stanney bitter is the regular here with Everards Tiger. We had Acorn Blonde and Warwickshire Howling Wolfe Moustache Beer here. The other is usually a mild from ABC, but cannot remember if it was on or not. Eddie brought something Irish out to show AEM but I cannot remember what it was now.

Dave M
14-11-2010, 09:46
Thanks for the epic write up Conrad. I believe our last drink in the Welly was actually courtesy of Millay, so thank you Millay! (Hope I've got the right person, apologies again if not!)

Absolutely great day though. The fire thingy was probably Black Country Ales Fireside that is one of the regulars at the Welly.

There were about 5 beers on at the Lamp Tavern, Stanway Stanney bitter is the regular here with Everards Tiger. We had Acorn Blonde and Warwickshire Howling Wolfe Moustache Beer here. The other is usually a mild from ABC, but cannot remember if it was on or not. Eddie brought something Irish out to show AEM but I cannot remember what it was now.

Thank you Gill, that certainly clears up a couple then, it was the Black Country Fireside at the Welly. As for the Lamp I only saw two clips. :muppet: It was the Stanney Bitter that I opted for though.

Conrad
14-11-2010, 09:53
Back row (sort of), L-R

One, Two, Evil Gazebo, Four, Five, Six, Seven, Eight, with 18, (Notts pal), (tagged along with tm).

Front row

Twelve, Dave M, an_ecunemical_matter (Fr Jack), Conrad, Sixteen, trainman, Eighteen (I suspect this may not be subtle), Nineteen, Twenty.
Sorry, just deleted your post trainman, me being my overcautious self again. I know at least one person had a little trouble with PM'd threats at another place so I think we need to opt in to reveal ourselves along with our real names just in case anyone is concerned about publishing it on a forum.

Maybe if anyone wants the names, trainman can PM them it instead (tm, if you need it I still have a copy of your post).

RogerB
14-11-2010, 10:13
These are about the best I can conjur up from the depths of my mobile!

Trainman looks around for some staff...

Gill Half Pint and A.E.M. No Pint...

Auditioning for Brokeback Mountain...

Evil Gazebo discovers its his round next...

Conrad
14-11-2010, 10:16
Hmmmmmm, I can see I will lose the information control war here :)

If anyone wants me to eradicate evidence of their existence let me know.

RogerB
14-11-2010, 10:18
Sorry - was busy upping the photos and missed the previous bits! Feel free to delete or amend as you see fit.

trainman
14-11-2010, 10:27
t'aint me in pic2 Roger and I know you're tall, but even you shouldn't be able to get an angle seemingly from the ceiling!

Conrad
14-11-2010, 10:29
Sorry - was busy upping the photos and missed the previous bits! Feel free to delete or amend as you see fit.
Its a hard one, I would rather we shared to be honest otherwise where is the fun.

Equally I don't want anyone to feel nervous about anything, so if anyone is concerned just let me know.

BTW how were Ash? And indeed the support bands?

On a slightly disconnected note I have an answer phone message with a few minutes of gig footage just after 8 yesterday :whistle:

RogerB
14-11-2010, 10:31
t'aint me in pic2 Roger and I know you're tall, but even you shouldn't be able to get an angle seemingly from the ceiling!

Must be your twin brother then! I did have to have a second glance but wasn't sure. Did you not wonder why I was carrying a stepladder around with me?

Quinno
14-11-2010, 10:52
A debate about geography and BCG jabs ensued between Dave, me, Quinno and PaulofHorsham, one vaccination on the way to Quinno for Christmas

Oh dear. I don't recall this but I know it's one of my less interesting conversations!! I apologise in advance for any donkeys missing hind legs in the Birmingham area...

gillhalfpint
14-11-2010, 10:56
Thanks for all the photos. Managed to save them now by copy/paste onto word.

PaulOfHorsham
14-11-2010, 11:24
Oh dear. I don't recall this

Me neither! BCG? I'm prepared to accept that I rambled on about geography, though.

Thanks for all the photos. Managed to save them now by copy/paste onto word.

There's more to come!

HTM69
14-11-2010, 11:29
An excellent account of the day’s goings-on’s, Conrad. I'm glad everyone had such a blast - and what a turnout!!

Please people, post some more photo’s, too :cheers:

an_ecumenical_matter
14-11-2010, 11:37
Hmmmmmm, I can see I will lose the information control war here :)

If anyone wants me to eradicate evidence of their existence let me know.

I'll just shave off the hedge. Any truth in the rumour that a dartboard somewhere in Cheltenham has been adorned with the group photo....:moremad:

Evil Gazebo
14-11-2010, 11:42
Oh and 'GURLS', AEM strikes again to convince the lovely barmaid to wear a PuG t-shirt.

http://i53.tinypic.com/zobgi.jpg

Quinno
14-11-2010, 12:00
Right, all my pub pics have been loaded up...got some nice ones of the Bartons :)

PaulOfHorsham
14-11-2010, 14:53
Here you go then....

Images can, I'm sure, be deleted if required.

In the Barton's Arms line-up, I'm between the 2 rows, just behind Quinno (if that helps).

Hope that all works. If it does, I can add a couple more (maybe)

PaulOfHorsham
14-11-2010, 15:00
And here's the admins:

Bit of a palaver, this insert attachments business, isn't it?:D

Millay
14-11-2010, 17:19

I reckon that's Ray, Gill's other half.

RogerB
14-11-2010, 17:23
I reckon that's Ray, Gill's other half.

It is indeed Mr Half Pint but I don't recall him in the same room as Trainman at the same time. Spooky.

Millay
14-11-2010, 17:40
I'm a bit late on parade with this (taking advantage of the final two days of the Spoons festival) but I'll add my thanks to everyone who was there on Friday for an enjoyable day's drinking. I think Conrad wins the 'best memory' award for his excellent summing up of the day but I'll add my own personal memories.

On nervously entering the Wellington I was lucky (I think that's the word) to be faced with the only PuG member that I knew, a_e_m, aka Father Jack, so was put at ease and also had a quick chat with Quinno who was at the bar before joining the main group who were 8 at that point. The next hour was spent on a succession of introductions as others arrived to join the party. I did note that Conrad and Dave sneaked in and stood at the back for a while before we spotted them. With all the chatter going on we were perhaps getting a bit loud for a lunchtime in the Welly and moved off in three waves to the Joint Stock, just a hop skip and a jump away. Had an excellent Titanic Iceberg in here which RogerB insisted hadn't been on 10 minutes earlier.

It was here that Gill, along with self-proclaimed 'silent partner' Ray, showed how seriously this crawl was being taken by producing maps of the city marked up with the location of the best pubs. On deciding to go to the Bartons Arms next a number of others got out notebooks and scraps of paper to check pre-researched bus numbers and routes - I felt a little under prepared. Local knowledge bought us to the bus stop, or more correctly equidistant between two bus stops with the instruction "if it's a number XX we have to run to that stop over there and if it's a number XX we run to the one round the corner". Two usages of the word 'run' in one sentance was a bit of a shock but just as I was looking around for the youngest and fittest member of the group (probably Quinno) to undertake this task a bus came around the corner and with a shout of "It's a 51" Gill set off like a greyhound from the slips with us all following in her wake. Here a_e_m's infamous knowledge of the transport ticketing system of the whole UK came in handy but the, now equally infamous, instruction to 'pair off into fives' didn't help the general chaos of fifteen or more drunkards trying to get on the bus - I suspect the driver was longing for the relative sanity of the school run.

The Bartons Arms (the lack of apostrophe will no doubt get it's very own thread) was a wonderfully decorative pub with good beers to match, most from Oakham. I got chatting to a guy from Worcester here and handing him a card suggesting he searches for this thread and introduces himself. No sign yet but we may get a new member. A couple more bus trips amongst startled locals takes us to the Anchor, where it becomes apparent that 15+ people walking into a pub with one barman and ordering drinks seperately probably isn't the best idea. Next a stroll to the White Swan where I think I had something called Huffink. Next was a epic trek through the industral areas of Digbeth that Scott of the Antarctic would have been proud of. I felt quite safe following Old Boots who was striding out ahead, but a little concerned when he turned around and asked "are we going the right way?"

Eventually we arrived at the Lamp Tavern and I recall drinking Acorn Blonde whilst discussing the merits of the bags of cockles being sold at the bar with EG, a_e_m and I think PoH. The Old Fox next and a double pinter, an excellent stout from the Malvern Hills Brewery. I think it was called Trevor's and was my beer of the day. Quick pint at the Welly before catching the 20:10 train back. I managed to wake up at Watford where I saw Trainman just as I was getting off, no doubt Roger had his foot up somewhere. Finished off the evening with a pint of Guinness while waiting for a take-away curry.

All in all a very enjoyable day and great to meet up with you all.

Quinno
14-11-2010, 18:12
...looking around for the youngest and fittest member of the group (probably Quinno) to undertake this task...

I'll be framing that quote. :lol:

PaulOfHorsham
14-11-2010, 18:23
Here a_e_m's infamous knowledge of the transport ticketing system of the whole UK came in handy but the, now equally infamous, instruction to 'pair off into fives' didn't help the general chaos of fifteen or more drunkards trying to get on the bus - I suspect the driver was longing for the relative sanity of the school run.

Aaah yes, the bus. So, just how many 'fiver' tickets did we get in the end? Seems I strolled past the driver safe in the knowledge that my ticket was being purchased (by? Yes, that probably didn't help), only to find that no such transaction occurred!. Bought a DaySaver on the way back, so didn't feel so guilty then.

Quinno
14-11-2010, 18:35
Aaah yes, the bus. So, just how many 'fiver' tickets did we get in the end? Seems I strolled past the driver safe in the knowledge that my ticket was being purchased (by? Yes, that probably didn't help), only to find that no such transaction occurred!. Bought a DaySaver on the way back, so didn't feel so guilty then.

LOL, yep same for me (though I just got a single!)

oldboots
14-11-2010, 18:51
I felt quite safe following Old Boots who was striding out ahead, but a little concerned when he turned around and asked "are we going the right way?"

I'm sure it was closer last time I went there, there was a sudden moment of panic when I thought that they'd moved it. Thank God Soupy is an expert on all things Brummy :whistle: It was thirst that motivated my urgent stride.

Andy Ven
14-11-2010, 19:57
Sorry for not saying goodbye to Andy, and apologies to anyone I didn't chat too properly, I would have just spoken rubbish anyway :). Cheers everyone!

No problem mate, my fault, sorry. I walked out of the Lamp last with Soup and Ogwyn and then I had to dash for my train.

Great to read your account.

Considering I had not met anyone before the day, other than Soup, it was an enjoyable day in friendly and entertaining company (and I don't usually speak to strangers!). Looking forward to next year!

aleandhearty
14-11-2010, 20:57
What can I add? An absolutely fantastic day. I don't think it could have gone any more smoothly and I'd like to add my thanks to Gill and Ray for their part in that. It was a fairly ominous start, my vow to drink halves went out the window straight away. Two pints in twenty minutes meant it was going to be that sort of day.

Great to put names to the faces and meet some real characters. I can remember having two pints of Trevor in The Old Fox, but after that my mind's a blank. I think I went back to The Welly, but I'm struggling to remember. Perhaps someone can remind me? What beer I was drinking is usually a good cue!

I'd certainly echo the sentiment about doing it again. Absolutely.

Strongers
14-11-2010, 21:40
Well there are a few dodgy looking characters in the line up and I've had a bit of fun tryin gto put names to faces, probably got them all wrong. Looks like you all had fun from the pics and reports and I am gutted that I coudn't make it, especially as I passed through Brum on the way to a wedding in Bolton last weekend.

Once I've settled down here on the South Coast I will make a point of coming to one of these get togethers - Maybe early next year if one arises.

RogerB
14-11-2010, 22:51
I managed to wake up at Watford where I saw Trainman just as I was getting off, no doubt Roger had his foot up somewhere.

To my knowledge I was actually fast asleep (albeit with i-pod blazing) on the train until Trainman spotted me and slumped down next to me (crushing my neatly folded coat!) whilst attempting to open a conversation that I clearly wasn't very capable of. By the time I hit Euston I was almost recovered in a drinking capacity but the bruised and swollen foot was kicking in so I had to shuffle off to the tube and get home while I could.

Quinno
14-11-2010, 23:03
An absolutely fantastic day. I don't think it could have gone any more smoothly and I'd like to add my thanks to Gill and Ray for their part in that.

I wholeheartedly agree with that statement :)

gillhalfpint
15-11-2010, 10:38
Sorry about belting away for the bus guys. Its a habit I have for buses and trains. I run for them and put a foot on the step and ask bus driver if he can hang on till Ray catches up, or with trains it stops them closing the door till he gets there.

Loved reading your write-ups, and it really was a fun day for us. I am so shy with folks I don't know as a rule, but the day went so ok.

Still plenty of other pubs around like the Old Contemptables, Old Royal etc for those that like to get around different pub interiors, but the ones we did seem to be on most of the hit lists and gave probably the better beer variety.

Conrad
15-11-2010, 12:22
Sorry, I was always gonna be travelling with a great drinking pal (non computer-user but my sponsor-for-the-day Ralph) but didn't anticipate the arrival of Tigerdrinker (from you-know-where) and mutual Notts pal Wal. I'd like to lay claim to the other drunken randomer, but cannot.
No worries, certainly no PuG only rule. I suspect your poor friends were being accosted by the lairy drunkard before he moved on to me, Dave and Quinno.

Oh dear. I don't recall this but I know it's one of my less interesting conversations!! I apologise in advance for any donkeys missing hind legs in the Birmingham area...
Yeah, it was partly my fault for extolling the virtues of Avon as it would make my life really easy if people would stop moaning about it. Guess what you did :D.

Me neither! BCG? I'm prepared to accept that I rambled on about geography, though.
And after that we moved on to talking about OO programming, can't think why you blanked it ;)

Sorry about belting away for the bus guys. Its a habit I have for buses and trains. I run for them and put a foot on the step and ask bus driver if he can hang on till Ray catches up, or with trains it stops them closing the door till he gets there.
No problem, we would never have got to the Bartons Arms without the guidance, but it does make for an excellent addition to any story about the day.

And just to add an odd Prologue to the story for me, Dave and AEM. On the way back AEM grabbed his jacket down from the rack preparing to get off at his station and discovered an Edinburgh bus ticket for the same day in his pocket, odd as he had not been to Edinburgh. Dave and I were left wondering if it was a hidden message from the cryptic Hondo to let us know he had been nearby on the crawl :ninja:. You decide!

hondo
16-11-2010, 09:34
I was in the wellington but was escorted from the premises :whistle:only joking;)