PDA

View Full Version : Worst piece of art/memorabilia in a pub

Soup Dragon
10-09-2009, 20:47
Hi all

I hate modern arty pubs - but today, at the Wheatsheaf, Laney Green, Cannocky way, i saw a piece of art that looked like a road traffic accident - blood and oil. This was in the dining area as well! These arty, modern, soulless pubs are bizarre - bloomin' twigs in a vase with fairy lights on - what the hell is that all about? That was at the Bear in Bridgnorth.

I know some people may say they like that kind of thing, so for you, I have been to pubs that have witch puppets hanging from the ceiling and i have been to the Manor Arms in Rushall, where a childs arm (skeletal and now in Walsall museum) was found.

Whatever your taste in pub decor - what is the worst, most bizarre, or darn right puzzling thing you have seen in a pub being passed off as a curio, or art?

Conrad
11-09-2009, 11:43
I have been trying to think of anything like this and failed miserably, I think my brain just blanks them as I am sure there must have been some real tosh in some of the pubs I have visited.

Instead however I shall tell you tales of The Ship (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/645/), a pub I used to visit. It is in a good location to just stroll down to the centre of Bristol to catch a bus at the end of the night. One time in there with Dave though we were privileged to see a gentleman attacking the suggestions box with a screwdriver. Noticing our attention, he decided to chat to us when we found out he was the area manager and looking after the pub, having got there he was interested to see what suggestions were in there and discovered there was no key to the box (does this mean the box constitutes art?), hence his decision to force it. He turned out to be quite a good chap and we did actually carry on drinking there regularly through a few changes of management till 'the incident'.

We turned up there to discover a new management family, including the children running round the bar like mad heads (I personally am not a kiddie fan, so this was disruptive enough). Clearly realising the children were not quite hyper enough the kindly new management decided to play the, at the time song of vogue, Crazy Frog .... 3 FECKING TIMES. So down with the drinks and never go back.

Important Foot Note. The pub has been through at least 2 changes of management since this time and 1 renovation, so this review is truly out of date, I will pop into the pub next time I am in the area and try and get a new impression of it as it does not deserve to be damned by that review.

Conrad

Soup Dragon
11-09-2009, 12:23
I have been trying to think of anything like this and failed miserably, I think my brain just blanks them as I am sure there must have been some real tosh in some of the pubs I have visited.

Instead however I shall tell you tales of The Ship (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/645/), a pub I used to visit. It is in a good location to just stroll down to the centre of Bristol to catch a bus at the end of the night. One time in there with Dave though we were privileged to see a gentleman attacking the suggestions box with a screwdriver. Noticing our attention, he decided to chat to us when we found out he was the area manager and looking after the pub, having got there he was interested to see what suggestions were in there and discovered there was no key to the box (does this mean the box constitutes art?), hence his decision to force it. He turned out to be quite a good chap and we did actually carry on drinking there regularly through a few changes of management till 'the incident'.

We turned up there to discover a new management family, including the children running round the bar like mad heads (I personally am not a kiddie fan, so this was disruptive enough). Clearly realising the children were not quite hyper enough the kindly new management decided to play the, at the time song of vogue, Crazy Frog .... 3 FECKING TIMES. So down with the drinks and never go back.

Important Foot Note. The pub has been through at least 2 changes of management since this time and 1 renovation, so this review is truly out of date, I will pop into the pub next time I am in the area and try and get a new impression of it as it does not deserve to be damned by that review.

Conrad

Ooooh! the little darlings.

I guess it counts as living, or performance art. As does the time when all the bar staff at one place in Cannock dressed in St Trinians stuff for charity. Took them three days to get me out - happy days;)

Conrad
11-09-2009, 12:56
Used to be worth visiting The Hatchet (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/411/) for that reason, you never quite knew what you were in for. It is in one of the smarter areas of Bristol so the normal mix of suited people, 2 minutes walk away is the Queenshilling (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/584/) which can attract the camp end of the gay spectrum, and also at times The Hatchet has hosted the Spank event which is a regular fetish night in Bristol. A definite highlight was School Disco night for the 80's crowd at the Academy though, frequently people would come in for a quick drink at the Hatchet first.

Definitely a pub to sit in and watch the World go by.

Dave M
11-09-2009, 13:02
These arty, modern, soulless pubs are bizarre - bloomin' twigs in a vase with fairy lights on - what the hell is that all about?
Twigs in a vase is a really good hint for me to turn around. It instantly tells me that their 'Good old fashioned burger' off their 'traditional pub grub' menu is going to set me back £12.95 and that I'm going to end up with a reassuringly very expensive lager to go with it.

The Ship (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/645/)
I was actually at the Ship when the internal photo that we have on the site was taken, having just had a careful look at it I notice they were actually serving Theakstons MILD that day. Ah well, I enjoyed my Summer Lightning.

Soup Dragon
11-09-2009, 13:54
Twigs in a vase is a really good hint for me to turn around. It instantly tells me that their 'Good old fashioned burger' off their 'traditional pub grub' menu is going to set me back £12.95 and that I'm going to end up with a reassuringly very expensive lager to go with it.

I was actually at the Ship when the internal photo that we have on the site was taken, having just had a careful look at it I notice they were actually serving Theakstons MILD that day. Ah well, I enjoyed my Summer Lightning.

These twigs had lights - so maybe add another fiver on the cost of the meal!

You publicity seeking glory hunter - awaiting the headlines 'Dave snapped in pub' - Whilst Hopback is decent enough, i cant believe you gave up a Theakston's MILD for it - Son, you need therapy.

Worries me a little that Mr C knows so much about the Bristol scenes? Research is it, Squire?

Dave M
11-09-2009, 14:30
You publicity seeking glory hunter - awaiting the headlines 'Dave snapped in pub' - Whilst Hopback is decent enough, i cant believe you gave up a Theakston's MILD for it - Son, you need therapy.

I would like to clarify that the person visible in the photo is not me but in fact a rather pleasant barmaid as I recall.

Given that Milds are so rare down here there is no way I was asking for that, the nice barmaid might've assumed I couldn't handle a proper pint! It would've been like asking for a half!! ;)

Farway
15-09-2009, 13:31
One to watch for sheer overpowering memorabilia is The Alex in Bognor Regis

http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/39375/

Went there last week, it is overwhelming, even has the classic bog seat on the wall with "funny" comment in the seat hole

Worth visiting just to see how things can get out of hand

Soup Dragon
15-09-2009, 13:38
Excellent review, mate - twee is a favourite word of mine, along with soulless!

Conrad
15-09-2009, 14:30
Farway has always been a bit of a star for the site. Highlight for me was his review of Titchfield Mill (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/66879/) within days of me moaning in my blog (http://blog.pubsgalore.co.uk/2009/07/marketeers.html).

We have got loads of fantastic members on the site, and I am really hoping we can get some momentum on the forum, does make it a lot more fun working on the site knowing that people are getting something out of it.

Conrad

Soup Dragon
15-09-2009, 14:56
Indeed, Sonny Jim

I think i have reviewed 3/4 Vintage Inns myself and like Farway, you go thinking that you will run them down as a chain - however they at least try to give a feel to the place.

The Midlands seems to be a bit of a black hole, so i am looking forward to seeing some of the other reviewers comments when i go to other parts of the country 'researching'!

hopwas
18-11-2009, 14:35
Conrad,

I think you will love this pub in Worcester.. http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/63069/

Full of cricket memorabilla! It was delight to see especially being cricket lover and could stay in all day and night. :p

Intend to visit it again in future..

Conrad
18-11-2009, 14:39
Conrad,

I think you will love this pub in Worcester.. http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/63069/

Full of cricket memorabilla! It was delight to see especially being cricket lover and could stay in all day and night. :p

Intend to visit it again in future..
This is the day where I get to quote loads of old threads and show I really do listen.

Had you spotted this Cricket themed thread (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?t=334) over in the requests forum?

hopwas
18-11-2009, 14:41
This is the day where I get to quote loads of old threads and show I really do listen.

Had you spotted this Cricket themed thread (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?t=334) over in the requests forum?

Didnt see it. Thanks for head up! :D

You must be getting sick of cricket being mentioned here?

Dave M
18-11-2009, 14:45
You must be getting sick of cricket being mentioned here?

Don't push him too far - I don't think he noticed the T20 result on Sunday. ;)

Farway
18-11-2009, 15:29

Oddly enough the original poster never replied to my PM regarding photos nowavailable, so PG has the exclusive at present

Conrad
18-11-2009, 15:32
Blast, I suspect he never realised, the default setting on the forum was to not sent emails out with PMs, I have changed this now, but it may be he assumed he would get a mail.

aleandhearty
18-11-2009, 19:20
The Hatchet has hosted the Spank event which is a regular fetish night...

I'm guessing it's not a sit-down do!

Conrad
19-11-2009, 12:06
Spank used to be held on the first and second floor of the pub while the ground floor just carried on being a normal pub.

I do remember me and Dave sat in there one night intrigued by the bloke sat across from us. All in black, sat alone, and appeared to have a white collar on. Something didn't seem right, anyway the pieces fell into place when we spotted he was had a carrier bag with a horse whip in it. We assumed he was having a quick drink whilst waiting for the Spank club to kick off.

Oggwyn Trench
19-11-2009, 17:28
There used to be a Rugby pub in Dawley , the White Hart which became a gay/fetish pub , they renamed it Fugly Uckers .

oldboots
20-11-2009, 08:57
I saw these in a pub yesterday and thought of Soup Dragon

Conrad
20-11-2009, 15:12
That is a pretty excellent example.

hopwas
20-11-2009, 15:17
If there is memorabilia disgusts me it is...

http://images.replacements.com/images/images5/china/C/royal_doulton_toby_jug_no_box_P0000015217S0013T2.j pg

Cant stand them as they are bunch ugly and souless! :moremad:

Conrad
20-11-2009, 15:19
Isn't it about time someone posted a singing fish (which thank God I have never seen in a pub).

hopwas
20-11-2009, 15:22
Isn't it about time someone posted a singing fish (which thank God I have never seen in a pub).

Hugely popular in 1990's then faded into obscurity..

Just for you

http://gazuga.net/stuph/singing-fish-singing.jpg

;)

oldboots
20-11-2009, 15:38
Billy Bass - brilliant

How about this disgusting object from a pub in Salisbury:

Conrad
20-11-2009, 15:44
My goodness a Philips speaker, surely they can do better than that ;)

Oggwyn Trench
20-11-2009, 20:31
I was in an hotel cellar today that is having a lot of rebuilding work done , in one of the cellar back rooms they found a load of old handle glasses , all branded . As well as the usual Bass and Tetley were some i had forgotten , Stones Bitter , Double Diamond and Worthington E , oh the rubbish we used to drink .

Soup Dragon
20-11-2009, 20:35
I was in an hotel cellar today that is having a lot of rebuilding work done , in one of the cellar back rooms they found a load of old handle glasses , all branded . As well as the usual Bass and Tetley were some i had forgotten , Stones Bitter , Double Diamond and Worthington E , oh the rubbish we used to drink .

You can still get Stones - or do i mean stoned?

And those bloody twigs, OB!

Some 'clowns' i know think it's hilarious just how much i hate them, one even brought a twig in the footy gym the other night and propped it up in goal - it did better than he did, we won - maybe he even reads the PG forum page?

oldboots
21-11-2009, 10:30
And those bloody twigs, OB!

:twigs: No more pics of twigs I promise :twigs: (unless they're really special) :twigs:

Farway
21-11-2009, 17:07

Whilst most now agree keg is rubbish, when it first came out it was a God send in some pubs, and possibly remains true today as well, though maybe not for PG fans & real ale inn keepers of course
http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?t=499

Delboy20
21-11-2009, 19:50

Hi there,

This reminds me of a visit to "The Wharf" in Old Hill a few years back with my brother. We walked in to find kids toys everywhere.All over the floor and tables - there was even a half drunk bottle of baby milk on one table next to an overflowing ash tray !! A toddler and a large dog were behaving like lunatics.
The worst thing however was the smell. It was gut wrenching. Being brave souls we ordered a couple of pints. The barmaid must have noticed us looking sick from the smell because she offered an explanation I shall never forget
"Don't worry about the stink - I have had the dogs dinner in the oven too long !". It was a short visit !!!
Having said that I had some great times in the Wharf and was genuinely saddened when it closed. It has since been torched and demolished. I don't think it is listed on the site - perhaps I will suggest it for old times sake !!

Cheers,

Del.

Delboy20
22-11-2009, 19:36
Hi all,

Correction. The Wharf is listed - (38290)

Saved me listing it !!

Cheers,

Del.

Conrad
23-11-2009, 11:53
Dell,

Your story reminds me of a story completly unrelated to pubs.

It was at an old IT company I was working for (now gone). Me and a friend were having a chat as we strolled into the kitchen to make our morning drinks, I was holding the cup I had just grabbed off my desk and he delved into the dishwasher to get out a cup and then we carried on chatting casually as we moved over to the kettle.

Anyway the conversation carried on for a few seconds before this friend just chimes in with. 'Hang on a sec, Conrad. I just want you to check what I just saw.' Wheels me back to the dishwasher, opens it up and there all along the bottom tray were the toilet bog brushes and their buckets :eek: Right underneath where he had just grabbed his cup from.

The worst bit is that neither of us were that surprised.