PDA

View Full Version : Losing interest in pub crawls

hopwas
17-09-2010, 12:20
I am struggling to get motivated to start pub crawl again after long away from pub circuit.

How can I get motivated again? I fancy Nottingham pub crawl but I just cannot get motivated at the moment :moremad:

arwkrite
17-09-2010, 12:58
Try doing a bit of research and planing on the internet first. I think your wish to travel and get sozzled will once again return. I hope so for who else will champion Tim Martins empire ?

Gann
17-09-2010, 13:28
Come on Hoppy , snap out of it.....:)

How about considering a weekend away with the good lady wife (if there is one), and combining a crawl of Tim's palaces with another event.

Centre of Bristol for example , where there are 8 spoons within the City area,
Or come down to the smoke to take in a show and do all the JDW's in town.

And i'm sure local PuG contributors would make an effort to come out and provide some therapy.....:drinkup:

RogerB
17-09-2010, 13:34
And i'm sure local PuG contributors would make an effort to come out and provide some therapy.....:drinkup:

With Mrs B constantly working away from home these days and me having lots of annual leave to waste before mid December, I will be looking for a few beer days out somewhere so if anyone is in a similar situation and the costs/travelling are acceptable then I'm available for hire! Otherwise I will be putting up shelves on my days off.

ROBCamra
17-09-2010, 14:03
I am struggling to get motivated to start pub crawl again after long away from pub circuit.

How can I get motivated again? I fancy Nottingham pub crawl but I just cannot get motivated at the moment :moremad:

C'mon Hoppy, Nottingham. 3 Spoons, VAT & Fiddle, Olde Trip, The Bell, Canalhouse, Newshouse, Salutation, Keans Head, Lincolnshire Poacher......et al.

What more encouragement do you need? :cheers:

Quinno
17-09-2010, 14:05
With Mrs B constantly working away from home these days and me having lots of annual leave to waste before mid December, I will be looking for a few beer days out somewhere so if anyone is in a similar situation and the costs/travelling are acceptable then I'm available for hire! Otherwise I will be putting up shelves on my days off.

now then...I can'y really get away from work until the beginning of November, but from there until mid Dec I might be able to make space...

A PUG meet-up?

Birmingham?

Just a thought...

RogerB
17-09-2010, 15:16
I'm up for it if the date fits and the travel is OK - had a quick look and coaches seem pretty efficient and would give me around 7/8 hours drinking time. That enough for at least 15 pints. :sick:

hopwas
17-09-2010, 15:21
C'mon Hoppy, Nottingham. 3 Spoons, VAT & Fiddle, Olde Trip, The Bell, Canalhouse, Newshouse, Salutation, Keans Head, Lincolnshire Poacher......et al.

What more encouragement do you need? :cheers:

Hmm Haven't been to some pubs you have mentioned for years.. Now you just warming me up :)

Just had a look in my diary.. Oct 4th looks favourite since it is my pay day. I may need your help in next few weeks with Nottingham pubs. Cheers!

Quinno
17-09-2010, 15:25
I'm up for it if the date fits and the travel is OK - had a quick look and coaches seem pretty efficient and would give me around 7/8 hours drinking time. That enough for at least 15 pints. :sick:

Friday November 12th?

RogerB
17-09-2010, 15:39
Friday November 12th?

It's free for me at the moment - can get a 9am coach from Victoria arriving at 11.35 (traffic permitting) in Digbeth. Would need to get a 7pm coach back to be safe. Not looked at train options yet but provisionally 12 Nov seems good for me.

hopwas
17-09-2010, 15:45
Friday November 12th?

Hey it's my birthday! :lol:

Quinno
17-09-2010, 15:48
It's free for me at the moment - can get a 9am coach from Victoria arriving at 11.35 (traffic permitting) in Digbeth. Would need to get a 7pm coach back to be safe. Not looked at train options yet but provisionally 12 Nov seems good for me.

good stuff, I can burn up from Reading BR easily enough. Will provisionally book the day off...

Quinno
17-09-2010, 15:53

marvellous Sir, would you like to join us?

RogerB
17-09-2010, 16:03
Well you can get the first round in then!

hopwas
17-09-2010, 16:16
marvellous Sir, would you like to join us?

I would love to but obviously I made plans on that day include big pub dinner with my family and friends

Quinno
17-09-2010, 16:27
good stuff, I can burn up from Reading BR easily enough. Will provisionally book the day off...

OK, date booked.

Mr B, let me know if you can secure that date, then I'll sort me tickets out. And a vague itinerary...

and if any other PuGers want to join us...just say!

trainman
17-09-2010, 17:06

Current best price Eus>B/H New St available with www.thetrainline.com is £10 out (10:03 arr 11:27) & £7 back (19:50 arr 21:14). I'd book it right now if I were you. I'm extremely tempted by that mission myself. I've not done Brum, & to do so in professional, albeit right scary, drinking company would be splendid.

Soup Dragon
17-09-2010, 17:36
I will have a look at my schedule - obviously Brum is easy for me

Al 10000
17-09-2010, 17:52

Hi Hopwas if you want a decent crawl in Nottingham and you are on train get a taxi to the Hawksley its not far from the middle of town next door is the Hand and Heart the house beer here is brewed by Full Mash of Stapleford after this ask in each pub for the next one on the list you will end up at the train station.

The Gatehouse modernish 5 real ales in locale scheme
Dragon 3 real ales 2 usually from Adnams and 1 from Nottingham brewery
Bell this is a GK house but has lots of micro beers on
The Approach modern pub 4 real ales this week 2 from Blue Monkey
Salutation about 10 pumps with micros on
Royal Children 5 real ales some micros
Canalhouse Castle Rock house 6 real ales not all from that brewery
Fellows,Morton & Clayton 7 real ales usually 1 from Mallard brewery
Vat and Fiddle Castle Rock house 12 pumps all Castle Rock beers plus micros

If you prefer to walk it would take about 15 mins to walk from the station to the Hawksley.

I hope this helps you get back into pub crawling i think you will enjoy all of these pubs.:cheers:

RogerB
17-09-2010, 17:56
Maybe the Brum expedition should be on a separate thread as it will otherwise get messy! I'll do a fresh thread.

hopwas
17-09-2010, 18:04
Hi Hopwas if you want a decent crawl in Nottingham and you are on train get a taxi to the Hawksley its not far from the middle of town next door is the Hand and Heart the house beer here is brewed by Full Mash of Stapleford after this ask in each pub for the next one on the list you will end up at the train station.

The Gatehouse modernish 5 real ales in locale scheme
Dragon 3 real ales 2 usually from Adnams and 1 from Nottingham brewery
Bell this is a GK house but has lots of micro beers on
The Approach modern pub 4 real ales this week 2 from Blue Monkey
Salutation about 10 pumps with micros on
Royal Children 5 real ales some micros
Canalhouse Castle Rock house 6 real ales not all from that brewery
Fellows,Morton & Clayton 7 real ales usually 1 from Mallard brewery
Vat and Fiddle Castle Rock house 12 pumps all Castle Rock beers plus micros

If you prefer to walk it would take about 15 mins to walk from the station to the Hawksley.

I hope this helps you get back into pub crawling i think you will enjoy all of these pubs.:cheers:

I have been to most of pubs you have mentioned as I lived in Derby for 5 years and I would often go to Nottingham on weekend or day off. However my last pub crawl in Nottingham was around 2004 with my late mate. 2004 Nottingham pub crawl is the still coldest pub crawl I ever been and it was hoovering above freezing point all day!

Now I am itching go back to Nottingham and check out pubs you have listed. Thanks very much for your help

Al 10000
17-09-2010, 18:12
Ime glad you liked that list but i have missed a new one out when you go in the Hand and Heart ask for the Roundhouse if you know Nottingham its in the old General Hospital building about 2 mins from Hand and Heart or Gatehouse,this pub has about 6 pumps and their house beer is brewed by Full Mash.
If you hurry up it might not be as cold.

ROBCamra
17-09-2010, 18:53
it was hoovering above freezing point all day!

And so it should be. You should never do your hoovering below freezing, it doesn't pick up the dirt as well as it should. :D

trainman
18-09-2010, 07:34
How can I get motivated again?

I think you have to be more selective Hoppy. Apart from the 'spoons (number one fan & all that) you have to include recommended pubs, rather than those just en route. Let's face it, you've said here in the past that you've been to some shockers - enough to put many off. Circuit is a good word to describe the problem - avoid circuit pubs, and aim for the REAL thing!

I'll be in Nottingham mid-Oct, tho my list is closer to ROB's than Al's, who has several I've not been to - I'll have to ask my local spies, though I can't see myself relishing a visit to anywhere called 'Royal Children'! My definite additions outside the centre, but easily reachable, are Victoria (& resurgent Crown, apparently) in Beeston, and Plough, in Radford.

Al 10000
18-09-2010, 16:05
I'll be in Nottingham mid-Oct, tho my list is closer to ROB's than Al's, who has several I've not been to - I'll have to ask my local spies, though I can't see myself relishing a visit to anywhere called 'Royal Children'! My definite additions outside the centre, but easily reachable, are Victoria (& resurgent Crown, apparently) in Beeston, and Plough, in Radford.[/QUOTE]

Al 10000
18-09-2010, 16:38
Hi Trainman the Royal Children has always been called this and is not a trendy pub but it is a one room pub with 6 pumps on the bar there are usually beers from Belvoir and Thornbridge brewerys and one beer is always £2 a pint this pub is next to the Salutation.

The Crown in Beeston is now an Everards tied house run under the Project William idea from that brewery,there are about 12 pumps on the bar with 2 from Leatherbritches brewery at £2 a pint in my opinion this pub is well worth a visit.:cheers:

gillhalfpint
24-09-2010, 23:20
We will be in Arnold, Nottingham from 10th Oct for a week to take in the beer festival for a few days as well as the pubs a day or two before the fest starts. Usually aim for the GBG pubs, but recognise a few names on your lists as well.

hopwas
27-09-2010, 16:45
I am glad to announce that I am very excited to get back on pub crawling.

Only thing get in my way is weather.. I'll keep eye on it.

Al 10000
29-09-2010, 12:00
We will be in Arnold, Nottingham from 10th Oct for a week to take in the beer festival for a few days as well as the pubs a day or two before the fest starts. Usually aim for the GBG pubs, but recognise a few names on your lists as well.

Hi Gillhalfpint there are about 10 pubs doing mini festivals while the Nottingham beer festival is on,i saw a poster in the Approach yesterday listing these pubs these are the ones i can remember.

Sir John Borlace Warren
Hand and Heart
The Roundhouse
The Gatehouse
The Approach
Keanes Head
News House
Canal House

There are a few more pubs on the poster but these are the ones i can remember,i hope this helps you get a decent drink in Nottingham.:cheers::cheers:

gillhalfpint
29-09-2010, 15:39
Have a heart - I only have a week, but what a week it will be!

Al 10000
29-09-2010, 17:01
Have a heart - I only have a week, but what a week it will be!

I will be at the beer festival on saturday and that will probably be enough for me never mind a week,but it should be a good week for you with all those pubs to visit.

gillhalfpint
30-09-2010, 14:03
OK, we arrive in Arnold Sunday 10th October and I have marked suggested pubs and City GBG pubs onto a map to visit in the days before the festival.

1. Approach, Friar Lane.
2. Canalhouse, Canal St,
3. Dragon, Long Row,
4. Gatehouse, Toll House Hill.
5. Hand & Heart, Derby St.
6. Keans Head, Mary's Gate.
7. King William IV , Eyre St,
8. Lincolnshire Poacher, Mansfield Road.
9. Newshouse, Canal St.
10. Royal Children, Castle Gate.
11.Roundhouse, Royal Standard Place.
12. Salutation, Houndgate.
13. Vat & Fiddle, Queensbridge Rd.
14. Sir John Borlase Warren, Ilkeston Rd.

Sure I will get to look in the Olde Trip and Fellows Morton & Clayton too, but the 14 listed will be the ones I am aiming for. Over 3 days should be a nice warm up for the fest itself doing around 5 pubs an afternoon.

Al 10000
30-09-2010, 17:15
Hi Gillhalfpint that list sounds good to me the only one i hav'nt been in recently is the King William 1V this is in sneinton and a bit of a walk from the city centre if you are down that way the Moot is close by and worth a visit and on way back into town the Bunkers Hill is another decent pub both of these will have several real ales on from micro brewerys.
Try not to get to drunk befor the beer festival:glass::cheers: