PDA

View Full Version : Advertising ideas

Strongers
15-09-2010, 22:49
I thought a thread of advertising ideas for PuG would be good as I've come up with a great one and thought I'd start off.

I am thinking that some free advertising on the BBC would do this site the world of good!

There are a lot of knowledgeable people (myself excluded) that are regulars on this site and forum so I was thinking that a Pubs Galore team should apply to be contestants on Eggheads. You may laugh, but it’s a popular programme and the producers are always looking for people with interesting links so it would be a gimme to get on the show. I’m also sure that someone on here must know Chris!

trainman
16-09-2010, 07:51
Lateral thinking and a good idea. I did briefly wonder about the show's audience demographic, in relation to PG's, but national tv would be a big hit either way.

Now, if you can also get a line in a rival show that goes out at 18:00... d'oh!

ETA
16-09-2010, 09:07
Lateral thinking and a good idea. I did briefly wonder about the show's audience demographic, in relation to PG's, but national tv would be a big hit either way.

Now, if you can also get a line in a rival show that goes out at 18:00... d'oh!

Now there's a thought. I wonder if Groening would consider inserting a table in Moe's with some of us complaining about the Duff ("can't be doing with this bottom-fermented Septic stuff"). If Tony Bliar can get on the show, why shouldn't we? Trouble is we wouldn't be able to review Moe's on this site as it doesn't have a UK postcode.

Strongers
16-09-2010, 09:39
Now there's a thought. I wonder if Groening would consider inserting a table in Moe's with some of us complaining about the Duff ("can't be doing with this bottom-fermented Septic stuff"). If Tony Bliar can get on the show, why shouldn't we? Trouble is we wouldn't be able to review Moe's on this site as it doesn't have a UK postcode.

You may jest, but there is a blogger who has reviewed the bars in his computer games!

aleandhearty
16-09-2010, 09:41
Trouble is we wouldn't be able to review Moe's on this site as it doesn't have a UK postcode.

Thinking laterally again, as Moe's is technically in your living room, couldn't you use your postcode? :D

ETA
16-09-2010, 10:14
Thinking laterally again, as Moe's is technically in your living room, couldn't you use your postcode? :D

You may jest, but there is a blogger who has reviewed the bars in his computer games!

Now here's a whole world of debate - does that mean that the postcode is that of the first reviewer, or do we have 100 Moe'ses? And what about those of us who travel a lot? Would I have to create a new Moe's for each hotel I use? In no time at all there'd be more of these than JDWs.

Conrad
16-09-2010, 10:44
I thought a thread of advertising ideas for PuG would be good as I've come up with a great one and thought I'd start off...
Strongers, thank you so much for starting this thread. :notworthy:

I am having one of those weeks where I just hate the main PuG site, highlight so far being on Tuesday where a Lawyer kindly called me an 'absurd person', which is a little original, I think Chris from BITE is the only other person to have resorted to name calling so far. Got 2 feedbacks today that promise to escalate as well (although I shouldn't prejudge them).

So this is a timely reminder of why I love working on the site really.

Quinno
16-09-2010, 11:34
highlight so far being on Tuesday where a Lawyer kindly called me an 'absurd person', which is a little original, I think Chris from BITE is the only other person to have resorted to name calling so far

What did you get called by Chris? I love gossip.:D

hondo
16-09-2010, 11:39
PuG members & 3d hdtv :eek:

Conrad
16-09-2010, 12:08
What did you get called by Chris? I love gossip.:D
I mis-remembered no name calling just lots of willy waving (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?3870-Old-attempt-to-buy-PG-%28not-tips%29&p=19897#post19897).

Gann
16-09-2010, 12:11
highlight so far being on Tuesday where a Lawyer kindly called me an 'absurd person', .

Hey Conrad, I wouldn't be too concerned, its their way of keeping themselves aloof and reinforcing the fact that they know about the law and you don't, so just pay the bill.. I've been called a lot worse by my companies lawyers..

But I will confess the seriousness of it does differ if it's your lawyers trying to protect your a**e, or the opposition trying to sue it. I hope its the former in your case....

Conrad
16-09-2010, 12:20
Hey Conrad, I wouldn't be too concerned, its their way of keeping themselves aloof and reinforcing the fact that they know about the law and you don't, so just pay the bill.. I've been called a lot worse by my companies lawyers..

But I will confess the seriousness of it does differ if it's your lawyers trying to protect your a**e, or the opposition trying to sue it. I hope its the former in your case....
I best not say too much as I am hoping to reproduce the whole correspondence on our forums as a Quality Control question. There is no fee involved and it relates to some false accusations (not charges) that they levelled at us.

ROBCamra
16-09-2010, 12:43
Did anything ever come of the Roger Protz stuff with CAMRA?

I know he passed it on to someone else, but did it then go to that great black hole that is CAMRA HQ?

Conrad
16-09-2010, 12:57
Did anything ever come of the Roger Protz stuff with CAMRA?

I know he passed it on to someone else, but did it then go to that great black hole that is CAMRA HQ?
Sadly as you say no reply once Roger Protz passed it on. So nothing but respect for Roger as he was prompt and more than helpful.

The site continues to progress, and I hope we can get some stuff going with CAMRA, I suspect that it is probably best approaching it regionally initially though.

Maldenman
16-09-2010, 13:08
I suspect that it is probably best approaching it regionally initially though.

I recently e-mailed the enquiries box of a branch in the Manchester region as I was trying to find out if a pub from my youth is still there, (it's not on here or the toothy site), but I haven't received a response.

Quinno
16-09-2010, 13:30
get a smiley to show willy-waving please! :D:D:D:D

Conrad
16-09-2010, 13:40
I recently e-mailed the enquiries box of a branch in the Manchester region as I was trying to find out if a pub from my youth is still there, (it's not on here or the toothy site), but I haven't received a response.
Yeah I misspoke really, I think our best hope is to try and get active contacts that the forum knows, which in my head I imagine would be regional. If anyone knows any good contacts anywhere in the organisation though it is good. ROB knew Roger Protz and whilst it hasn't panned out yet, at least he gave us the time of day.

get a smiley to show willy-waving please! :D:D:D:D
I don't think so, apart from anything else I fear it might be mistaken for something else :eek:.

hondo
16-09-2010, 13:42

Conrad
16-09-2010, 13:48
Ok I really am too slow, but I must re-iterate I am fearful it could be mistaken for something else :whistle:

Nothing like a bit of monarchy bashing (and that isn't a euphemism)

aleandhearty
16-09-2010, 13:50

Hondo, that's brilliant! :D

aleandhearty
16-09-2010, 13:57
I am having one of those weeks where I just hate the main PuG site, highlight so far being on Tuesday where a Lawyer kindly called me an 'absurd person'

Easy now Conrad. Nil illegitimi carborundum. I suggest you grab Dave at beer o' clock, have a few cleansing ales, followed by the fiery curry of your choice. After a good night's kip the world be a much better place in the morning. :)

Conrad
16-09-2010, 14:01
Easy now Conrad. Nil illegitimi carborundum. I suggest you grab Dave at beer o' clock, have a few cleansing ales, followed by the fiery curry of your choice. After a good night's kip the world be a much better place in the morning. :)
Thank goodness for wikipedia :)

The forum today has been suitably cathartic, as with all these things it is just a few troublemakers, shame they are always the noisy ones though ;)

Quinno
16-09-2010, 14:08
Hondo, that's brilliant! :D

very good!

arwkrite
17-09-2010, 11:31
A Lawyer calling you an " absurd person " is pretty mild. I have been accused of being a lying ,conniving ,unscrupulous ,fatherless son whose mother did not know what morals were. He did not put it in quite those terms, being a person of some education, but both the Judge and I got the gist of it. After his client was sent down he invited me to lunch. Saying I was hesitant to accept after the roasting I had recieved in the witness box he replied in his best Rumpole of The Bailey voice " Come, come my boy, both you and I know its only a game. Bye the way the meal is on my company". We remained friends until his death.

RogerB
17-09-2010, 11:54
Bye the way the meal is on my company". We remained friends until his death.

What on earth did you put in his meal? :confused:

Conrad
17-09-2010, 12:35
What on earth did you put in his meal? :confused:
:lol: You're on form today