PDA

View Full Version : Active members

Strongers
15-09-2010, 14:24
I see that the active members stat has passed the 100 mark being at 102 at the moment - Is this the first time?

Conrad
15-09-2010, 14:32
First I know of, and one I have been looking forward to, a very nice stat :)

Strongers
15-09-2010, 14:39
And it's 102 active members rather than 102 aliases of 40 active members and 5 tools.

Conrad
15-09-2010, 14:48
And it's 102 active members rather than 102 aliases of 40 active members and 5 tools.
I really do need a saucer of milk smiley ;)

RogerB
15-09-2010, 15:05
What constitutes an active member?

Conrad
15-09-2010, 15:08
Someone who has posted on the forum in the last 31 days (I think that is right, close enough regardless).

aleandhearty
15-09-2010, 15:11
What constitutes an active member?

At least once a week.....and sometimes logging on to PuG!

Quinno
15-09-2010, 15:54

fnarr fnarr, I was just about to post something similar :D:D

Conrad
16-09-2010, 10:53
fnarr fnarr, I was just about to post something similar :D:D
Oh dear, I have read this numerous times since its posting and only just got it :o, the joke that is.

Gann
16-09-2010, 11:48

Blimey, once a week !!, don't you blokes have children (otherwise known as the best contraceptive known to man!)..

Gann
16-09-2010, 11:53
And getting back to the thread theme.

I know this is probably an ask too far, but is there any measure of active members on the PuG site?

Would be interesting to know if the number of active contributors (reviews, photo's e.t.c.) is increasing ?

Conrad
16-09-2010, 12:13
We do try and do monthly stats posts (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?3829-Monthly-Stats-August-2010), I am guessing you mean beyond that though.

Not really, there is some outstanding work to try and show more demographics on the main site (an a&h request I think). At the moment we are sadly heavily in fire-fighting mode though so not sure when that will appear.

We are always happy to do specific stats if there was something you had in mind and could describe.

aleandhearty
16-09-2010, 13:42
Blimey, once a week !!, don't you blokes have children (otherwise known as the best contraceptive known to man!)..

Don't worry, it was merely for comic effect. The reality is reassuringly depressing. (Having two kids and all.) :D

runningdog
16-09-2010, 19:31
Stable doors an all that..........:drinkup::drinkup:

arwkrite
17-09-2010, 00:02
I know what the female of the species are, I have just forgotten what you do with 'em.

Perhaps some of those disappointed with the " other place " will discover this place of quiet contemplation, fine conversation and regular outbreaks of mirth and mockery.
So it will be soon Roger will have to extend the shed which will eventually out grow the vegetable patch.

RogerB
17-09-2010, 08:49
Perhaps some of those disappointed with the " other place " will discover this place of quiet contemplation, fine conversation and regular outbreaks of mirth and mockery.
So it will be soon Roger will have to extend the shed which will eventually out grow the vegetable patch.

There are still a few of the old "inner sanctum" who don't realise we are here (Kake was a recent capture I managed to steer our way) and I have at various times dangled a few hops in front of John Bonser, Silk Tork, Lad Newton and a few others with varying results but they still haven't fully taken the bait. I recently sent a message to Alph River after his name popped up in another thread but heard nothing back.

I still occasionally get PM's from random BITE users that have picked me out as a regular BITE contributor (even though I no longer am) and think I have some kind of magic wand to resolve their BITE Admin issues! If their profiles look OK and I think they will be of benifit to PG, I just tell them to give up and point them our way.

Strongers
17-09-2010, 09:33
It would be good to get a few more over here and as that site spirals further into the depths of troll land I think others will move. I have no access at all now, but I did PM Rex asking about Guide Dog Saint and he said that he would give him a nudge.

hopwas
17-09-2010, 14:22
I am back as active member!!! :bemerry::cheers:

Rex_Rattus
17-09-2010, 18:22
It would be good to get a few more over here and as that site spirals further into the depths of troll land I think others will move. I have no access at all now, but I did PM Rex asking about Guide Dog Saint and he said that he would give him a nudge.
I have done so - hope he makes an appearance.

arwkrite
19-09-2010, 22:24
How active do you have to be ?. These days after three pints and a Sunday dinner I slump in front of the Telly and fall asleep. Not much sign of activity, if you discount cacophony of my snoring, for about two or three hours.

PS I do not own a trainer let alone two of them.

RogerB
26-09-2010, 09:16
I still occasionally get PM's from random BITE users that have picked me out as a regular BITE contributor (even though I no longer am) and think I have some kind of magic wand to resolve their BITE Admin issues! If their profiles look OK and I think they will be of benifit to PG, I just tell them to give up and point them our way.
Just had another disgruntled active BITE reviewer http://www.beerintheevening.com/user_comments.shtml?username=nickthefish wondering what I was up to these days. Have steered him in the approriate direction. Will have to start claiming commission!

Quinno
26-09-2010, 11:02
I've PM'd Blackthorn over on BITE (http://www.beerintheevening.com/user_profile.shtml?username=Blackthorn) to let him know we're here. His reviews are of a very high standard and it'd be great if he decided to switch/ride both horses. :notworthy:

Conrad, if Blackthorn wants to contribute over here, can the mass migrate tool be used for his reviews? "Having to start all over again" was one of the concerns he voiced to me.

Conrad
26-09-2010, 11:13
Conrad, if Blackthorn wants to contribute over here, can the mass migrate tool be used for his reviews? "Having to start all over again" was one of the concerns he voiced to me.
Yep we can sort that.

Quinno
26-09-2010, 11:26
Yep we can sort that.

good man! :cheers::cheers:

Blackthorn
27-09-2010, 20:34
Hi guys,

Thank-you for suggesting this site Quinno, and for your kind words on my reviews!

I think I'll continue to ride both horses for the time being - this site seems to be lacking reviews compared to BITE, but hopefully it will grow in time.

How do I use this 'ere mass migrate tool then?

Cheers.

hopwas
27-09-2010, 20:49
Hi guys,

Thank-you for suggesting this site Quinno, and for your kind words on my reviews!

I think I'll continue to ride both horses for the time being - this site seems to be lacking reviews compared to BITE, but hopefully it will grow in time.

Cheers.

Welcome to PuG!

I hope you will enjoy here!

Hoppy

Conrad
27-09-2010, 21:12
Hi guys,

Cheers.
Hi Blackthorn,

Glad to have you, in case Quinno hasn't mentioned myself and Dave M are the admins of this and the main site so if you have any problems, queries or suggestions just let us know.

I will PM you after this about the migrate tool. The other thing you may be interested in is the fact that we only show your name against the reviews, there is some discussion of it here (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?535-Home-Page/page7#post3384) where we explain why and point out where you can set up your name.

Hope you enjoy your stay.

Alesonly
27-09-2010, 22:25
Hi welcome Blackthorn

I and several others used too post regular reviews on the other site but I stop using it about six months ago see this example below http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/comments.shtml/4320/ of why I thought it was just a waste of time even trying too report it any longer as nothing is done as you can see this goes back weeks but not intervention by admin yet on this example and theres 100s like it.

Blackthorn
28-09-2010, 08:41
Hi welcome Blackthorn

I and several others used too post regular reviews on the other site but I stop using it about six months ago see this example below http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/comments.shtml/4320/ of why I thought it was just a waste of time even trying too report it any longer as nothing is done as you can see this goes back weeks but not intervention by admin yet on this example and theres 100s like it.

Yeah, I had noticed that one as well and reported it a few weeks ago, but as you say, obviously nothing has been done.

I think the main reason I started using BITE was just because it was always at the top of the Google list whenever you searched for a pub. Hopefully we can get similar results with this website, and then this will be come the pub review website of choice.

gillhalfpint
28-09-2010, 10:35
Just been reading that pub's reviews - no that is not the right word. It certainly reminded me why I came off BITE.

Cannot understand why it has not been removed. Cask and Kitchen was removed for a lot less than this, and that is one pub I went to as a result of reading BITE, and I found that to be a decent real ale pub. Wouldn't dream of going to this one.

Paris_Hilton
29-09-2010, 14:43
BITE Forums appear to be closed altogether.

Conrad
29-09-2010, 15:39
BITE Forums appear to be closed altogether.
Hi Paris,

Welcome to the PuG forums. The BITE forums have been gone as far as we can tell for about 4 months now. A number of their regulars are chatting here now. Myself and Dave M are the admins of these forums and the main site, if you have any problems, queries or suggestions on how we may improve please let us know.

Hope you enjoy your stay,

Conrad

Quinno
29-09-2010, 15:47
Hello Paris, how's the boss eye? Good to see you re-appear over here.

Gann
29-09-2010, 16:40
Hi Paris,

Good to have you over here and would be good to see your old Avatar up, as it used to brighten the place up on the 'Dark Side'.

runningdog
29-09-2010, 16:54
Just been reading that pub's reviews - no that is not the right word. It certainly reminded me why I came off BITE.
The that thing puzzles me is why did it kick off in the first place? Up to August every thing seemed more or less normal. Then 'an ecuminical matter' left a decent review and all hell broke loose:mad::moremad:..........Ah well:drinkup::drinkup::drinkup:

Gann
29-09-2010, 17:13
No, the local Bourne End pond life had started laying into each other before Father Jack tried to right the wrongs.
And I have to take my hat off the the Fathers dedication if he did genuinely visit twice in 2 days while doing a trip to High Wycombe, as I work within walking distance of the Firefly and can't be motivated to visit twice in a year.....

runningdog
29-09-2010, 17:28
No, the local Bourne End pond life had started laying into each other before Father Jack tried to right the wrongs......
I stand corrected, good on 'im is all I can say..........:drinkup::drinkup:

Maldenman
29-09-2010, 19:59
Just given Slerpy another tug, seems happy enough over there but surrounded by trash. Good lad he is, hopefully he'll ....erm bite.

ROBCamra
05-10-2010, 13:24
There are still a few of the old "inner sanctum" who don't realise we are here and I have at various times dangled a few hops in front of John Bonser

John has just posted 3 reviews on the main site, so hopefully he'll be along soon. :)

RogerB
05-10-2010, 13:45
John has just posted 3 reviews on the main site, so hopefully he'll be along soon. :)

:bemerry::notworthy::cheers::bemerry::cheers::beme rry::notworthy::cheers::):):)

Eddie86
05-10-2010, 13:49
Will the Vickers Arms be brought back to life though?

Strongers
05-10-2010, 13:55

We should let dead sleeping dogs lie!

Good to see JB posting reviews, fingers crossed he gets a taste for this site!

aleandhearty
05-10-2010, 14:03

I actually used to enjoy Vickers' surreal pub landlord ramblings. On a good day, he could give Arky a run for his money.

Paris_Hilton
05-10-2010, 15:26

John appears to have been on a rather long crawl around the West Country judging by his reviews:bemerry:. How was it John?

Blackthorn
05-10-2010, 15:59
Right, that's all my 300+ reviews migrated across from BITE. Apologies if I have left any inappropriate comments in them (eg; references to other BITE reviews). I've tried to edit them accordingly, but haven't fully read every single one so I may have missed something. It's interesting to see all my old reviews and see how my style has changed. I seem to have got rather more verbose as time has moved on! A couple of years ago you might just have got "a good choice of beers" from me. Now I'm most upset if I can't list every single one (which does sometimes frustrate Mrs B. when I'm busy making notes and not listening to her!).

Thanks to the mods for all their help, and even correcting one of my postings (The Golden Lion was in St. Ives, Cornwall not St. Ives, Cambridgshire - don't know how you managed to spot that!). And thanks again to Quinno for suggesting this site as I didn't even know it existed previously.

It's nice to see a few other names I recognise from BITE on here. gillhalfpint isn't local to me, but has reviewed a few pubs in Bristol. I think I first became of aware of them when I noticed they'd also reviewed one in Peterborough that I had been to. Low and behold I now see they've been to one in St. Agnes that I was in last week as well!

I think I may PM a few of the other Bristol BITE regulars just to make them aware of this site. Keep up the good work guys!

Conrad
05-10-2010, 16:58
Glad to help, after all it got 300+ reviews across to the main site.

We can't claim credit for the Golden Lion correction though, Maldenman was the eagle eyed one (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?4102-Golden-Lion-St-Ives) on that.

RogerB
05-10-2010, 17:09
John Bonser has touched base with me and I have mentioned the migration tool if he wants to take advantage of it - it will be a huge bonus for our review database if he goes for it.

rpadam
05-10-2010, 22:49
I actually used to enjoy Vickers' surreal pub landlord ramblings. On a good day, he could give Arky a run for his money.
Just don't ask for too much detail about that 'special' job lot of pasties that turned up the week the dog went missing...

aleandhearty
06-10-2010, 09:20
Just don't ask for too much detail about that 'special' job lot of pasties that turned up the week the dog went missing...

:D Indeed not. Ignorance is bliss.

runningdog
06-10-2010, 17:03

I'm with you, a&h, often a welcome ray of humour on a bad troll day.........:drinkup::drinkup:

Alesonly
06-10-2010, 22:31
They seem too be having bad Troll days on most of there Pub Pages on the other site now even The Portsmouth Arms in Basingstoke is now under attack It was a good Pub a few years back when I last went in there. The strange thing is no one is removing anything from any of the pages even the slating at the Firefly is still ongoing. :D If they keep this up all the decent reviewers will migrate over here with luck.

http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/comments.shtml/5502/

arwkrite
06-10-2010, 23:17

I felt sorry for that dog let alone the customers of the Vickers Arms. The place reminded me of certain pubs in Shrewsbury back in the 60s. The beer had the look of ditch water with accompanying pond life and the food straight from Sweeney Todd's, purveyor of meats (?) of unknown origin. I had the feeling the licencee may have worked for the Prison Service in the past until made redundant when capitol punishment was banned. Yes , its hard to find a pub of such quality these days but I reckon the pasties are still being sold somewhere .

aleandhearty
06-10-2010, 23:46
but I reckon the pasties are still being sold somewhere .

I suspect Ginsters are using Vickers' original recipe, if the last one I had of theirs is anything to go by. :eek:

an_ecumenical_matter
07-10-2010, 08:54
I think I may PM a few of the other Bristol BITE regulars just to make them aware of this site. Keep up the good work guys!

Well boy and welcome to the bright side. We have Evil Gazebo who did a few reviews in the other place here already. Beatles38 is usually in a comaat the counter in the 7 Stars so there's not much hope of him moving over. I'd like to see the elusive Dandillus coming over,he does good reviews.

Quinno
07-10-2010, 12:30
And thanks again to Quinno for suggesting this site as I didn't even know it existed previously.

Pleasure :) thanks for migrating. And looking forward to new reviews as and when you add them too!

runningdog
07-10-2010, 16:19
I suspect Ginsters are using Vickers' original recipe, if the last one I had of theirs is anything to go by. :eek:
I'm not sure recipe is the right term..:sick:...I thought if it was a recipe, basically, you did something with something. As for Ginsters, I'm not sure that they've done anything, I think they find them beside the road. Road kill, anyone one. Pick it up, sell it on..........:drinkup:

NickDavies
07-10-2010, 19:25
I'm not sure recipe is the right term..:sick:...I thought if it was a recipe, basically, you did something with something. As for Ginsters, I'm not sure that they've done anything, I think they find them beside the road. Road kill, anyone one. Pick it up, sell it on..........:drinkup:

Interesting how reputations change isn't it? Ginster's used to thought of as the dog's bollocks, all (supposedly) hand made and driven all the way from Cornwall by a man in a van and far superior to Wall's, Bowyers, Telfer's, what are those you get in chippies, Peter's? Now they're (allegedly) made of the dog's bollocks and any pub not worth its salt* gets its (supposedly) hand made pasties from (according to the description) (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/8029291/The-mystery-of-the-Oakham-chicken.html) a farm in the next county driven all the way from Banbury in a 3663 van.

Plus ca change.

*A pub worth its salt makes them itself.

arwkrite
07-10-2010, 19:43
Fluer de Lis pies tasted ok as long as you did not consider the contents for to long. You never know what you are eating unless you or your mrs is doing the cooking.

Oggwyn Trench
07-10-2010, 19:50
Fluer de Lis pies tasted ok as long as you did not consider the contents for to long. You never know what you are eating unless you or your mrs is doing the cooking.

Fleur de lis got done in the 80s for using horsemeat , they went downhill after that

arwkrite
07-10-2010, 19:52
Niegh, I can't believe that. Did you get the story straight from the horses mouth ?

OK, OK I'm going.

Alesonly
07-10-2010, 20:14
I think I would prefer a Pukka Pie. :)

Strongers
07-10-2010, 22:19
They're going for a quid in Tescos at the moment and they taste just like they were from the chippy - I've got two chicken and mushroom in the fridge!

Alesonly
07-10-2010, 22:37
They're going for a quid in Tescos at the moment and they taste just like they were from the chippy - I've got two chicken and mushroom in the fridge!

Yes thats my down fall I always have too go in the chippy at Tally Ho corner and get one when coming out the Tally Ho after a few Pints just cant resist. :whistle:

oldboots
08-10-2010, 08:20
Interesting how reputations change isn't it? Ginster's used to thought of as the dog's bollocks, all (supposedly) hand made and driven all the way from Cornwall by a man in a van and far superior to Wall's, Bowyers, Telfer's, what are those you get in chippies, Peter's? Now they're (allegedly) made of the dog's bollocks and any pub not worth its salt* gets its (supposedly) hand made pasties from (according to the description) (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/8029291/The-mystery-of-the-Oakham-chicken.html) a farm in the next county driven all the way from Banbury in a 3663 van.

Plus ca change.

*A pub worth its salt makes them itself.

Fleur de lis got done in the 80s for using horsemeat , they went downhill after that

You can eat anything given enough brown sauce :D

trainman
08-10-2010, 09:45
You can eat anything given enough brown sauce :D
Or just having been on the sauce; only time I fall into the kebab shop these days...

Maldenman
08-10-2010, 11:01
Generally I am able to resist the delights of a kebab nowadays, even if my local shop is pretty good. Unfortunately I am a total sucker for an unfeasibly large curry takeout when the mood takes me, although I can often stretch a couple of extra meals out of it if I remember to put the leftovers in the fridge before I crash out.

which reminds me, I saw a bloke fast asleep on a chair in a kebab shop once.

Farway
08-10-2010, 12:42
which reminds me, I saw a bloke fast asleep on a chair in a kebab shop once.

Bet he wouldn't do it in Sweeney Todd's pie shop

Gann
08-10-2010, 14:40
Bet he wouldn't do it in Sweeney Todd's pie shop

I've fallen asleep in here before without mishap. http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/61601/

But that was 15 odd years ago when I could manage two of their fab pies in one sitting without doing lasting damage to the waistline....
Sadly those days have gone.

rpadam
08-10-2010, 22:47
John Bonser has touched base with me and I have mentioned the migration tool if he wants to take advantage of it - it will be a huge bonus for our review database if he goes for it.
I see that John has now moved over from the Dark Side and has quickly posted some 58 reviews in the last few days - welcome!

NickDavies
10-10-2010, 18:30
Or just having been on the sauce; only time I fall into the kebab shop these days...

Just saw and advert on telly for Iceland doner kebab pizzas. Even Hungry Horse (http://www.hungryhorse.co.uk/menus.php)hasn't sunk that low. Yet.

ROBCamra
15-10-2010, 13:32
I see that John has now moved over from the Dark Side and has quickly posted some 58 reviews in the last few days - welcome!

John is merrily posting ex-BITE reviews from June/July with todays date on them.

Does he know about the migration tool Conrad?

June/July isn't so bad, but if he's starting with the latest..........

ROBCamra
15-10-2010, 14:29
I see that the active members stat has passed the 100 mark being at 102 at the moment - Is this the first time?

Active Members now down to 95. :confused:

Have you been dealing with problem members with a lead pipe and a handy river Conrad? :D

Conrad
15-10-2010, 15:41

Someone on here commented they had told him, also a few people have said they contacted him. With this in mind we chatted about emailing him and suggesting it to him, but on the whole we decided enough people have told him about the site he doesn't need us 2 haranguing him as well. Certainly don't want to scare him off ;)

Active Members now down to 95. :confused:

Have you been dealing with problem members with a lead pipe and a handy river Conrad? :D
You will never know how tempted I was to delete your user as a practical joke :p

Colder months, so less corrections and some less chatty I suppose, it is based on a rolling 30 days.

ROBCamra
15-10-2010, 15:50
You will never know how tempted I was to delete your user as a practical joke :p

I've been expecting the knock on the door for a while and I don't walk down the canal towpath anymore, just in case. :p

Conrad
15-10-2010, 16:03
On a completely unrelated note, 4 weeks till the big PuG meet up and Dave has just told me that Birmingham has the most canals of any UK city.

:whistle:

ROBCamra
15-10-2010, 16:10
On a completely unrelated note, 4 weeks till the big PuG meet up and Dave has just told me that Birmingham has the most canals of any UK city.

:whistle:

Well as it stands at the moment, I won't be there sadly.

Although maybe it's just as well after that hint. ;)

Conrad
15-10-2010, 16:21
No chance of being press ganged into it then (?/!)

ROBCamra
15-10-2010, 17:55

It would take me almost 4 hours each way involving 3 trains + Metrolink & walking from home at a cost of £34. So it's probably a no go. :(

Conrad
16-10-2010, 10:56
It would take me almost 4 hours each way involving 3 trains + Metrolink & walking from home at a cost of £34. So it's probably a no go. :(
Dear Gods, you would get home sober!

trainman
17-10-2010, 09:26

Here goes.
Day rtn, Rochdale > Manchester Victoria, 09:14 arr 09:32, £6.30 (too early for cheaper £3.30 fare)
Walk to Shude Hill
Megabus to Birmingham, 09:50 arr 11:40 (The Priory, 3mins from Wellington), £4
Megabus to Manchester, 20:00 arr 22:00, £4
Manchester to Rochdale, 22:28 arr 22:47, no charge (paid for earlier)
Plea for Mrs to collect, or pay for taxi with a few pesos (hehehe).

There you go, £14.30 plus transit to/from Rochdale BR.

Brewguru
21-10-2010, 20:23
John is merrily posting ex-BITE reviews from June/July with todays date on them.

June/July isn't so bad, but if he's starting with the latest..........

Errm, just moved over to here, I've 30ish reviews in the Troll pit I'd like to bring over as "my intellectual property" if you like. I guess this migration tool is the thing I need, but can't see how.
Cheers
Dec

Conrad
21-10-2010, 21:30
Hi Brewguru,

Welcome to PuG, myself and Dave M are the admins of this and the main site, so if you have any problems, queries or suggestions please do let us know. Definitely like your phrasing, I will PM you after this with some information on how we support migration.

Hope you enjoy your stay,

Conrad